Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrumble121
Stranger
 User Gallery
Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill?
    #10826967 - 08/09/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Say you have a typical monotub that is colonizing, with the usual air holes with polyfill and such.  Do you cover the air holes, or leave them open for air exchange?

Is there any reason I cannot just leave them open?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: Grumble121]
    #10826979 - 08/09/09 10:22 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

leave the polyfil in the holes until it is finished colonizing. you can take it out after it is done.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: Grumble121]
    #10826993 - 08/09/09 10:27 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Grumble121 said:
Is there any reason I cannot just leave them open?

Several 1"+ open holes in a container that has perfect growing conditions for bacteria and mold, inside a non-sterile environment? Sure, what could possibly go wrong? :wink:

Slightly related: you can also take a trash bag and just wrap the entire tub in it to up the C02 levels (opening it every day or so to swap out a little fresh air), or place a trashbag/wax paper down near substrate level inside the tub to do the same.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

InvisibleMentalMeltdown
Fuckin Stuckin in the Muckin
Male

Loc: Philly Flag
Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: radiantthought]
    #10827104 - 08/09/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yeah as radiantthought said, just leave the polyfill in but put the tub in a black trash bag for colonization. The bag will keep the CO2 levels up. I didnt open the bag for my tub and it turned out great.

Give it a week before you check it, if its ready just lose the bag and introduce it fresh air and light

--------------------

OfflineGrumble121
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: radiantthought]
    #10827499 - 08/09/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I was more of wondering if I should tape up the holes, or just leave em open with polyfill.

The tub is located in a small dark closet, no light, just polyfill in the holes.

I suppose I can put garbage bags on them.

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    #10827573 - 08/09/09 12:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I hope it's not sitting on the floor.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

OfflineGrumble121
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10829274 - 08/09/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

nah, I got it a few feet off the floor, contams hide on the floor :P

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10829370 - 08/09/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Leave the polyfill in.  I put mine in a trash bag for about 3 days and then took it out.  After taking it out, the colonization took off.  I also had my monotub colonizing in a larger tub, so there wasn't a ton of FAE to start out with.

Offlineunderthetable
Absorbing The Info

#15597815 - 12/31/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
I hope it's not sitting on the floor.

How come you cant have it sit on the floor?

OfflineHartge
Enthusiast
Male

Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: underthetable]
    #15597879 - 12/31/11 04:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

During colonization I would tape the holes, it'll keep the CO2 levels up without needing a trash bag around it, but if you're going to use poly-fil just pack it tight.

Correct me if I am wrong, but having a monotub on the floor isn't too big of a deal compared to a SGFC on the floor.  Air is constantly circulating through open holes in the SGFC whereas the monotub should have polyfil in the holes during fruiting, the density of the poly-fil is up to the grower.  But since none of the holes are never just open on a monotub having it on the floor isn't going to hurt much.

With that said, just to be safe I would still elevate it on a shelf/desk since you may have to mist or fan from time to time, can never be too careful.

Invisiblepenhed
spawniac
Male

Loc: holding the axis
Re: Colonizing Monotub, Cover the Air holes or leave em open with polyfill? [Re: Hartge]
    #15598434 - 12/31/11 07:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

tight pack the polyfil....saran wrap the lid if you like....my tubs always colonize in a week or less  even with low spawn ratios...try it one time and see.....          try 2 tubs one with taped holes and one with tight pack poly and post your results:bigyesnod:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix