Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Sterilization While Preparing Substrate?
    #1559742 - 05/19/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've got a friend of a friend who has a sterilization question...
Let me cut and paste what he's typed...

How important is it to be sterile during substrate preperation? Because as I was preparing some cracked corn for my next project, I was cleaning the kitchen, and it struck me; Why would I sterilize my kitchen when I'm about to scoop out some probably dirty cracked corn from a burlap sack that was sitting in a warehouse, then boil it?

The jars I had ready for PC'ing were sterilized earlier, and pre-polyfilled. So once the cracked corn was boiled, rinsed, and strained, they were scooped into these jars.

Now the jars have all been PC'ed for 60-70 minutes.

Am I right in thinking that whatever happens during substrate preparation isn't quite necessary to be sterile? And only from inoculation forward is sterilization important?

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Sterilization While Preparing Substrate? [Re: Teknion]
    #1559796 - 05/19/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It?s important from the moment on the jars go into the pressure cooker.

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Sterilization While Preparing Substrate? [Re: Anno]
    #1559797 - 05/19/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Here' my friend of a friends reply:

Okay, cuz right now my PC'ed jars are just sitting in my kitchen. They have a polyfill filter, so I imagine they are okay like that?

Later today I will sterilize the kitchen, and myself for the inoculation process....

S'all good?

--------------------
"A drug person can deal with things like seeing they're dead grandmother crawling up they're leg with a knife in her teeth but no one should be asked to handle this trip"

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1559814 - 05/19/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

S'all good?

Time will tell. Generally noobs err on the side of caution by going completely anal in sterilisation. Slowly the noob relaxes on his/her stringent regimen until contams bite him/her in the ass. After this all sterile procedures are carefully reviewed and a practical method is formulated and is usually marked by a paradigm shift in living habits.

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Sterilization While Preparing Substrate? [Re: debianlinux]
    #1559833 - 05/19/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I wasn't really trying to slack off on my sterilization more than I was deducing the need or lack of need of it... If it bites me in the ass I'll be better next time :wink:

Though the polyfill should act as a good barrier no?

--------------------

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

#1559857 - 05/19/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I've just put all the jars in a sterile incubator just to be on the safe side :wink: 

--------------------

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #1559896 - 05/19/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i am wondering about the use of corn. all my attempts at it failed due to problems destroying enzymes present in corn that resist sterililzation.

apart from that, sterilization is sterilization, and an hour in the pc should be 'nuff.

as a rule, i tend to be anal about sterilization from the moment i begin loading the jars. if too much crud gets on the mouth of your jar, it could be like hansel and grettle's trail of bread crumbs, except that you will be showing the contams a trail to follow to the inside of the jar.

i have only a vague idea of your experiance level, so let us know how corn works for your friends friend, and don't let her get discouraged.

OfflineSBTlauien
Stranger

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Teknion]
    #1559918 - 05/19/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineTeknion
Interloper

Re: Sterilization While Preparing Substrate? [Re: SBTlauien]
    #1560546 - 05/19/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A friend of a friends reply:

Well, this is my 2nd time growing, and first time on grains.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag