Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Loc: Texas
WBS ingredients...
    #1559630 - 05/19/03 11:20 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

CatDog was telling me that he picked up some WBS from the pet store, it had millet (red/white) and sunflower, and cracked corn. He has read up some on the procedures fro pc'ing the wbs and he wanted to point out some things he discovered over the weekend.

Experiment #1: He rinsed the WBS several times, until the rinse ran clear, skimmed off the floating sunflower seeds and then pc'ed for 1 hr 15 mins. after the two 1 quart jars cooled he tried to shake them and only the top inch was loose. after banging the jars against his hands several times the substrate still failed to break loose. So he prepared the glove box, and emptied the jars into a sterile pan, crumbled half a brf cake into each jar, stirred, then put back into the jar and sealed and then placed in the incubator at 82F. this was a pain and laborious.

Experiment #2: WBS soaked overnight after being rinsed and skimmed (skimming only removes sunflower seeds and some white millet that floats). then he strained even more, using a colander that had hole just the right size for only the millet (red and white) to fall through, skimming the majority of the corn from the mix. After pc'ing these jars he found that after cooling enough to handle, but still warm, the substrate was loose still and he realized that the corn is what made it so sticky after pressure cooking. Thes 7 half pint jars he just knocked up with some GC strain syringe. (next batch will be done same way, just cased with perlite, BRF crumbled, and pasterauzied straw). He's got 14 jars that are 95% colonized already.

Has anyone had this same experience with WBS and corn? Also, he has read in 6T's WBS Tek Bulk Spawn Preparation Method that sunflower seed is good (supplying lignin). What is lignin and how and why is it good in the substrate.

6Tango? Does the WBS you use have corn as well? And do you notice a difference in the texture of the substrate when present/not present?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: WBS ingredients... [Re: Dgrepo]
    #1559635 - 05/19/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

In experiment #1 you fail to mention whether or not the WBS was initially soaked. I assume it was but, if not, there is your explanation for your "sticky situation".

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: WBS ingredients... [Re: debianlinux]
    #1559651 - 05/19/03 11:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

experiment #1 was not soaked overnight. what about corn, does it matter, and sunflower seeds?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1559665 - 05/19/03 11:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Corn is a useful substrate as proven by recent experiments with popcorn. Sunflower seeds are really irrelevant although some people claim that they can be sites of contamination. I don't bother removing them and have no problems whatsoever. Soaking and rinsing is necessary both to establish proper moisture content and to rid the grains of superfluous carbohydrates. The loose carbs will make the grains sticky. All WBS jars need to be shaken well immediately after PCing to redistribute the water in the jars. Failing to do this causes the bottom grains to clump up something awful. This would lead one to believe that grains that are too wet and/or too dry will be sticky.

InvisibleshroomQT
psilly gurl

Re: WBS ingredients... [Re: debianlinux]
    #1559674 - 05/19/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

exactly.

afoaf is working with wagner's wbs from home depot.

it's got seeds, red and while millet, cracked corn
and some other unidentifiable grains.

proper soaking and rinsing over a 36-48 hour
period is enough to get moisture up, and clumping
down.

afoaf's noticed that sunflower seeds tend to be
some of the first points of germination....

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: WBS ingredients... [Re: shroomQT]
    #1559689 - 05/19/03 12:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

thats interesting debianlinux.

experiment #3 begins at lunch! :laugh:

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

#1574732 - 05/24/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

CatDog soaked his WBS overnight, usually 12 hours, and pc'ed them, cooled, then spawned with 1/2 BRF cake crumbed into each jar. those first two jars are about 70% colonized now, only 6 days later. they will be cased with straw and dung. he spawned another 4 on the 22nd, those are coming along nicely too. he called me this morning to tell me that he just spawned 7 quart jars of sterilized (presoaked) WBS. He spawned half od a 1/2 pint BRF cake to each jar. Two of the seven he used a cheese grater to crumble the cake, labeled to see if colonization is faster/slower, etc...Oh, and this waiting crap kills CatDog's ADD. I told him just to be patient young grasshopper!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation