Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDivineIntensity
Techno-Optimist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Morality/Ethics [Re: blingbling]
    #15589597 - 12/29/11 09:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
All Ideology?

it would be a bit presumptuous if i were to claim all ideology causes moral problems but i do believe that it is the human propensity to adopt ideologies which causes great problems as well as great works of art and empathy.

"good people do bad things because it's moral" elaborate further please.

i think i will use ernest beckers  definition of evil to illustrate my point here. this is a post i made a while ago: people create immortality symbols in order to deny death and localize evil in tangible objects, such as other people, in order to rid the world of evil and so, create evil in the process of upholding purity. purity should be a sin for the trouble it's caused mankind. the really sad part is you can't (at least i don't) blame people for the mountains of bodies they are required to stack up in order to contain their fears. it's really an impossible bind we find our self's in. a symbolic animal forced to contemplate it's own demise and yet capable of imagining a world of everlasting peace and prosperity. i can see why some turn to murder to satisfy their existential grief.

when a immortality symbol is threatened by an other, destroying them can easily be justified.

here is another post i made: the real problem is that good people do bad things by striving for purity and as purity is an unattainable ideal, people must isolate evil in a tangible object such as another human in order to rid the world of evil. (this is why morality can become immoral) morality itself is the culprit. something must come from outside any moral tradition in order to curb brutality and since we moralize our entire universe, this is unlikely to occur.

I see. Interesting point, extremely interesting

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Morality/Ethics [Re: DivineIntensity]
    #15590618 - 12/30/11 02:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DivineIntensity said:
If a Moral code can be changed at a whim, how is it set in stone? If morals are not to be set in stone then what's the point of them at all. As a society a code which is firm is needed, if not anyone can do that which they please.

There is a difference between changing a rule of morality based on someone's whim, and making a change after careful consideration. And changes in rules that concern social behaviour should be firmly established in society ("set in stone") until the next change. I agree that there would be no point in having moral rules otherwise.

But as I said before, the content of the rules depends on what the purpose is. If the purpose is just to satisfy the whim of some invisible deity, then any prophet that comes along can introduce arbitrary changes by referring to a new private revelation. How do people tell if the revelation was divine or the prophet's personal whim?

OfflineDivineIntensity
Techno-Optimist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Morality/Ethics [Re: Rhizoid]
    #15590944 - 12/30/11 07:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Show me a moral change that wouldn't be a drastic change, and would be considerable after long consideration.

Edit: Again I don't consider morals a long set of rules, I actually find morals to be pretty simple, and common sense based. I also find that the ten commandments even from a non theistic view, excluding the ones about God are completely okay.

--------------------

Edited by DivineIntensity (12/30/11 07:47 AM)

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Morality/Ethics [Re: DivineIntensity]
    #15591093 - 12/30/11 08:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DivineIntensity said:
Show me a moral change that wouldn't be a drastic change, and would be considerable after long consideration.

Some changes that I consider quite drastic have already been made, for example changes regarding the moral status of slavery, witchcraft, mercy killing, and the use of intoxicating drugs. Not to speak of the apparently never-ending rule changes for almost everything that concerns sexual behaviour.

I agree that the non-theistic parts of the ten commandments in the Torah are perfectly okay and based on common sense. But looking back in history it's obvious that they lack some important stuff, like for example the immorality of slavery.

Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

Re: Morality/Ethics [Re: Rhizoid]
    #15593906 - 12/30/11 08:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the ten commandments don't tell us how these rules should be enforced or what is a fair punishment. they act as a kind of meta-morality but lack the fine details needed for civil society to exist. an example of an ambigous rule from the ten commandments is thou shalt not kill. under certain conditions i think it would be justified to kill.

--------------------
Kupo said:
let's fuel the robots with psilocybin.

cez said:
everyone should smoke dmt for religion.

dustinthewind13 said:
euthanasia and prostitution should be legal and located in the same building.

White Beard said:
if you see the buddha on the road, rape him, then kill him. then rape him again.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order