Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Noob to ID
    #1558557 - 05/18/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I?m just now getting to a place in my life where I can concentrate on on wild mushroom hunting and Identification. I have "Mushrooms Demystified" on the way. Here was a find (Figure0) on a recent hike that I immediately assumed to be Psilocybe Cubensis based on the habitat I found them in (Figure1). Upon further inspection I realized that it was most likely not a psilocybe primarily because of the color of the gills (Figure2) and the lack of bluing when opened and scraped(Figure3). A few hours later proved that the spores (Figure4) were not the dark purple synonomous with psilocybes. In case the color comes through wrong for you I?d say these spores range in color from a brown to gold. I?m betting this mushroom is simple to identify. I appreciate any input.
Figure0

Figure1

Figure2

Figure3

Figure4

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Noob to ID [Re: debianlinux]
    #1558573 - 05/18/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

dont eat it

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Noob to ID [Re: tastyshroom]
    #1558617 - 05/18/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hehe, I don't even have it anymore. i pitched the remains immediately after getting the necessary pics.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1558773 - 05/18/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I'm betting this mushroom is simple to identify.

I think you'll lose that bet. That mushroom looks like it's just past its identify-by-date, which makes it even more difficult.

Given habitat and overall appearance my first thought is Agaricus. But the spore print color looks wrong for that genus.

Given the spore print color, it should fall in somewhere around Cortinarius or Pholiota. If I have to guess between them I'd go with Cortinarius. The problem with that is that Cortinarius is a mycorrhizal genus. Were there any trees nearby?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Noob to ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1558924 - 05/18/03 10:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Could it be an Inocybe?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Noob to ID [Re: Gumby]
    #1558946 - 05/18/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, it could. For most of those I would have thought he'd mention the smell.

debianlinux - was there a noticeable odor to the mushroom?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1559463 - 05/19/03 05:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

There were tons of trees within a hundred yards but the location depicted in Figure1 was quite simply the muddy, dungy entrance to a horse pasture right outside the barn. I seriously doubt this to be a mycorrhizal fungi. Right behind the camera in Figure1 is a stack of aged, cut trees of several varieties. They are very aged and there would be no root system. I did smell it several times but it has no smell any different from psilocybes, white buttons, or any number of "normal" smelling mushrooms. It was the lone mushroom within a 15 foot radius.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1559623 - 05/19/03 09:14 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Mycorrhizal mushrooms can occur anywhere within the height of the tree they're associated with. So if there was a tree 60 feet away but the tree was 60 feet tall, the mushrooms could be growing from that tree.

Going with your statement that it's not mycorrhizal, it's probably a member of the Pholiota alnicola complex of mushrooms. That's a group of very similar species that can be distinguished only with a microscope. Usually they are found in groups or clusters (another reason I didn't want to go with Pholiota at first).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1559671 - 05/19/03 09:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for your input. I can't wait to start cutting my teeth on identification. I can assure you that there were no trees close enough to this mushroom for it to be mycorrhizal. I will keep an eye on this area in hopes of finding another younger specimen.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate