Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinefake estate
didgin it out
Male

Loc: NC
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: sandi]
    #15424042 - 11/25/11 09:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well depending on the quality of components and the intended end usage, companies do produce audio equipment at different levels...

obviously, a music producer who makes a career with their ears is not going to use $2.99 ear buds..

so delving deeply into the components of the hardware is a necessity for some listeners.  Just because you don't care to understand it doesn't mean it isnt real.  As for the burgers, some people are fine with the nastiness in a mcdonalds burger, others aim higher and will only eat whattaburger, or even just buffalo..

--------------------
eat more algae.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: sandi]
    #15424073 - 11/25/11 09:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sandi said:
Also, I can't stand people who talk about audiophile stuff. You buy headphones, return them if you don't like them after a few days of "burn in" if you believe in burn in. Simple. Talking audio with other people about what headphones are the 'best' is so odd to me - everyone hears differently, and has different tastes. We could go over the molecular composition of a cheeseburger and all the ingredients and how it's the "best", but people are still going to like one fast food chain over another....*goes insane*

The best headphone reproduces music exactly as it sounds while it was recorded, provided other factors are eliminated (such as poor recording or mixing).  Any headphone that colors the sound is technically inferior, despite a user's preference towards it.  There's not any more to it than that.

Me?  I like a warm sound, and that is a colored sound.  To my ears it sounds better than a completely neutral headphone, but I wouldn't ever say a colored headphone is better than a neutral headphone.

Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15424240 - 11/25/11 10:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

there is a difference between better headphones and preference.  I understand some people like the grado sound signature, i do not.  But, if something sounds absolutely muddy, has poor resolution, shit build quality, etc... nobody likes that.

--------------------

Invisiblesandi
omg

Loc: M6 (Butterfly Cluster)
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: fake estate]
    #15424671 - 11/26/11 12:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fake estate said:
well depending on the quality of components and the intended end usage, companies do produce audio equipment at different levels...

obviously, a music producer who makes a career with their ears is not going to use $2.99 ear buds..

so delving deeply into the components of the hardware is a necessity for some listeners.  Just because you don't care to understand it doesn't mean it isnt real.  As for the burgers, some people are fine with the nastiness in a mcdonalds burger, others aim higher and will only eat whattaburger, or even just buffalo..

I said I can't *stand* it, not that I can't understand it. Of course professionals aren't going to be using earbuds. But also they'd be using monitors, not casual listening headphones like we're talking about here. I thought the thread was about casual listening. All I meant was I get a bit tired  of audiophile forums full of casual listeners arguing about specs when all you really can do is try them out. If you want to get extremely technical, you can have the housing of the headphones affect the sound to some degree, even if they technically have the same specs, so all you can do at some point is just try some that sound like they are what you're looking for. After reading lots of funny "my headphones are better than yours" pissing contests I just shake my head.

And I didn't say there isn't a difference. My point is honestly lots of people are fine with cheaper headphones and even prefer them over a $400 set, despite how appalling that might seem to others.

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
The best headphone reproduces music exactly as it sounds while it was recorded, provided other factors are eliminated (such as poor recording or mixing).  Any headphone that colors the sound is technically inferior, despite a user's preference towards it.  There's not any more to it than that.

Yep. I use monitors instead of speakers and adjust my sound card accordingly for whatever I'm listening to if I feel like I want to change it.

Ah, crap. I was tired when I posted. I meant to say that I can't stand people who ARGUE on and on about audiophile stuff. God damn it LOL. I am editing my original post but I can't take it back in the quotes LOL!

--------------------

Edited by sandi (11/26/11 01:08 AM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #15424779 - 11/26/11 01:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
what about wireless headphones?

Dunno, I've never used any.  Sound overpriced and gimmicky to me.  Not to mention you can't get earbuds that are wireless, because there's no where to put the transmitter/battery.

hmmmm

Yeah, there are a few Bluetooth options out there, but I've never heard any, so I can't comment on sound quality.  None of the big names (as far as I know) make a quality wireless earbud style phone.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15424952 - 11/26/11 02:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

sandi said:
Also, I can't stand people who talk about audiophile stuff. You buy headphones, return them if you don't like them after a few days of "burn in" if you believe in burn in. Simple. Talking audio with other people about what headphones are the 'best' is so odd to me - everyone hears differently, and has different tastes. We could go over the molecular composition of a cheeseburger and all the ingredients and how it's the "best", but people are still going to like one fast food chain over another....*goes insane*

Me?  I like a warm sound, and that is a colored sound.  To my ears it sounds better than a completely neutral headphone, but I wouldn't ever say a colored headphone is better than a neutral headphone.

I have exactly the same thing with the SR-3's, they're electro static headphones. Problem with that is I listened to my mp3's through them in comparison to some records I have, and even the 90's dance music ones I have sound so much more detailed (weird considering a lot of that music was done with screamtracker on an amiga, then recorded onto records which are a lossy format, don't let analog advocates tell you otherwise) that I re-ripped my collection to FLAC.

But anyway, the best headphones is all in the ear of the beholder. I can understand the technical superiority of the SR-3's to any headphone I have (or ear-speaker as they like to call them) and I really like the braided cable but they are uncomfortable to wear, bass reproduction is just not as big as I'm used to (which really shows up on old reggae records when you can barely hear the bass guitar).

Before you ask, yes I have an RIAA equaliser, it's not that. Other audio sources (ipod/computer/borrowed cd player) also sound the same, as I did wonder if it was iffy RIAA settings in my rotel amp.

So for me, my best headphones are my current sehnheisers. Their padding doesn't rest on my ear, rather my head, so I can stuff all of my ears inside the sound chamber. Also doubles up as ear muffs during those cold january mornings.

--------------------

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #15431053 - 11/27/11 02:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

After having these Sennheisers for a week I've noticed a few things.

for one, the sound is amazing. Definitely a much clearer sound, which is good considering they're HD 205. The only bad thing I could say about them is that since they\re HD, and super clear with the treble it seems that the bass isn't as prominent in certain types of songs. I was using them with my ipod and selecting different EQ settings for songs and seeing which ones fit best with different types of music, and there's definitely a difference. So that could get annoying, but overall the sound is top notch so I don't really care about the little things.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: x Ju x]
    #15438035 - 11/28/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

x Ju x said:
After having these Sennheisers for a week I've noticed a few things.

for one, the sound is amazing. Definitely a much clearer sound, which is good considering they're HD 205. The only bad thing I could say about them is that since they\re HD, and super clear with the treble it seems that the bass isn't as prominent in certain types of songs. I was using them with my ipod and selecting different EQ settings for songs and seeing which ones fit best with different types of music, and there's definitely a difference. So that could get annoying, but overall the sound is top notch so I don't really care about the little things.

This review says they're actually bass heavy phones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/190389/review-of-the-sennheiser-hd205-with-comparisons

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15440630 - 11/29/11 03:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That's really strange. :confused:

They're definitely not weak on the bass end though, I shouldn't have said that. I think I was just used to low end headphones that muffled everything, so now that I'm using these hd phones, I'm hearing everything more clearly :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: x Ju x]
    #15440764 - 11/29/11 03:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

x Ju x said:
That's really strange. :confused:

They're definitely not weak on the bass end though, I shouldn't have said that. I think I was just used to low end headphones that muffled everything, so now that I'm using these hd phones, I'm hearing everything more clearly :lol:

That is much more likely the case.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why do my headphones always break after a few months? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15583671 - 12/28/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

finally got these, treating them more gently.
a
lady.

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/a-jays-one.html

--------------------

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

#15583896 - 12/28/11 05:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have Sennheiser HD 25's and they do me well.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see,
and hear.
Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans
learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one
millionth of reality.
--------------------------------

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

#15583946 - 12/28/11 05:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I could never get into ear buds.

Maybe my ears are shaped weird or something but they always hurt my ears and fall out easily. I much prefer Over ear headphones.

These Sennheiser's were an excellent purchase

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies