Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Loc: Japan
Don't think it's cobweb, but.....
    #1557818 - 05/18/03 03:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think I might still have some contamination. I don't have a digicam, but sorting through some posts, my jars are similar to the upper center portion of this picture...

80% of my jars are extremely light and fluffy, almost like cotton or regular food mold, while the other 20% don't have this at all, but have a think white network of almost striated lines across them. A few of the majority jars have this striated network of strands across it, then fluffy white areas that almost seem like mold growing on top of them in areas. Both parts are really really light white colored. They all are being kept at 70 degrees. The only variable I can think of, is that I boiled all the cans, and that water might have gotten into one of two of them.

In addition, I have one other jar that is showing some brown in spots (it seems to be in random spots and no more than 1/10th of an inch long, and even thinner, with mycelium growing all around it and sometimes interwined with it), but it's the same color brown as my whole grain blended rice that I used. It didn't look like any of the pictures in the contaminated area of the site, so I still have it. In addition, it doesn't seem to spread, and isn't inhibiting the growth of the mycelium. In fact, it's my fastest colonizing jar.

So, all the jars are being kept in the dark around 70 degrees. They're about 85% colonized, and none of them emit any foul odors. They do not appear to be excessively wet or slimy, and except that one, none are anything but bright white colors. The posts I've read have helped alot, but being my first time, I want to make sure that these are contaminated. I read a similar post to mine which was helpful, but I do not want to be eating bad stuff.

Thanks for any replies, good site. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some help as I gain more experience.

Edited by magicfungi (05/18/03 03:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWizzang
Deviant

Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: magicfungi]
    #1557861 - 05/18/03 03:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds pretty normal IMO. Try upping the incubation temp, that might help. Optimal temps give the strongest growth. I think (emphasize this) that contaminated jars don't fruit anyways. But don't hold me to that.

--------------------
I was once a man I used to know
He changed into a man I have been
And became the man I am today

OfflineArtifice
Poet

Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: Wizzang]
    #1558155 - 05/18/03 06:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If its white and fluffy and looks like food mold, it probabaly is contaminated. I had what you had, and its pretty hard to tell the difference between cobweb and shroom fungus, both are pretty light in color except the cobweb is slighty off white to grayish in color. I had a full colonized jar at one point and i opened it. The very top of the cake had a fluffly white mold at the top that looked similarto the mycelium but myceiluim is not fluffly like that. So i threw it away. If there is any doubt throw it away. The brown stuff im not sure, it could just be your whole grain, but again dont take any chances unless your sure. you dont want to die.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: Artifice]
    #1558323 - 05/18/03 08:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If i remember correctly, the pic you're referring too was indeed a victim of 7cc of spore solution.
When the substrate gets too wet, germination occurs in a slow pace and odds of contamination increase.
Luck needs too be tested with time in those jars, sometimes things turn out right, sometimes they don't ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: MAIA]
    #1560102 - 05/19/03 03:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Some of the jars seem to have far more of this cottony stuff than other jars. I haven't found anyone with a digital camera, so I'm unable to post some pics still. They do not have any grayish color at all. I injected about 2 cc's into each. They aren't spreading as fast as the FAQ stated, that is, starting with the dime covered area. I read that cobweb is not deadly to humans, so I'm keeping the jars until I can find a more absolute answer. In addition, I've read that cobweb "suffocates" the mycelium since they compete for the same nutrients in the cake. So, a cobweb infected cake will not fruit, but will it pin? Since it doesn't seem really dangerous, I think I'm going to just let the cakes take their course. Also, if I put an infected cake with cobweb mold in my terranium with the other good cakes, will they get infected if they are not touching?

I've searched about half the posts so far in the contamination board, and am still finding some good stuff. I'll see if I can't find some good pictures of similar situations.

Edited by magicfungi (05/19/03 03:19 PM)

Anonymous

#1560725 - 05/19/03 06:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

its really hard too tell...other than being a lil light it does look like mycelium too me..the only thing that makes me think it might be cobweb is the fact that there dosen't seem too be any rhizomorphs...I always see them that late in colonization

Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: ]
    #1561409 - 05/19/03 10:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1562311 - 05/20/03 05:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You don't always get rhizos, mycellium can be kind of puffy.

Just watch it carefully the easiest way to tell if something is cobweb is if it grows amazingly fast. You will know if it is cobweb because you will know mycellium NEVER takes over a casing or jar in a day or 2.

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Don't think it's cobweb, but..... [Re: Karen]
    #1563116 - 05/20/03 03:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Jars tend to have puffy mycelium around the area of inoculation, and as it spreads outward rhizomorphs (long, strandy mycelium) develop. The puffy mycelium around the inoculation point is normal, and can sometimes be a duller-white color than the rhizomorphs. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
    #1563430 - 05/20/03 06:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, that was my jar, I innoculated with 6cc's of spores, cause I could spare the solution and the jar. I had to give them to a friend though, since my parents told me they didn't want it done in the house. I went over to check on them, and that one jar is about 80% done after 9 days.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum