Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Grow Light

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered.
    #1557467 - 05/18/03 10:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've been dying to try out some mushrooms since I cant smoke marijuana for at least a few months(Pre employment testing, too much of a risk). I did some research and found out that shrooms are not tested for on regular drug tests so it sounds like they are just up my alley. The problem is there is noone around here that has any connections to get shrooms and I've read that wild shrooms are hard to find here in Virginia.

The only solution I see is to grow some on my own. I've been reading faq's on shroomery.org quite a bit and the process seems pretty simple but I have a few questions that I couldnt find that I would like answered before I start growing.

1.How hard is it to keep contamination out of the caking process? I don't want to have precious shrooms ruined by my own ignorance and want to make sure that it isnt extremely hard to keep mold out.

2.How much would the average cake of Cubensis yield if I did everything right? How much on average would a 10cc syringe of Cubensis yield?

3.I'm planning on getting the spores from thelittleguy.com. They seem to have gotten a good rating on shroomery.org but has anyone had experience with them?

4. There are so many strains of cubensis available. Is one easier to grow than the other?

5. Is light absolutely necessary for the fruiting process? I want to keep these things out of sight and out of mind while growing so I was hoping on fruiting them up in the attic in a box. Alterations to the box can be made if light is absolutely necessary though.

6. How long does the whole process take on average?

Thanks for all of the help in advance. I'd love to get these questions cleared up before I order some spores and try this stuff out.

-Wake

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #1557477 - 05/18/03 10:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1.How hard is it to keep contamination out of the caking process? I don't want to have precious shrooms ruined by my own ignorance and want to make sure that it isnt extremely hard to keep mold out.

The biggest newbie problem I have seen is people handling the jars too much when they are colonizing. I leave them in a plastic bin in my closet and check them only once a week and I haven't had any get contaminated for over a year. It's also helpful to wipe down the inoculation holes with a cottonball of 70% alcohol first.

Quote:

2.How much would the average cake of Cubensis yield if I did everything right? How much on average would a 10cc syringe of Cubensis yield?

Depends on the way you are doing things. With bulk I could get it to make pounds.... As a cake expect about 1/4 oz dry when you are first starting if you take care of it.

Quote:

4. There are so many strains of cubensis available. Is one easier to grow than the other?

I've heard lots of good things about B+. I've been sticking to Puerto Ricans though for potency.

Quote:

5. Is light absolutely necessary for the fruiting process? I want to keep these things out of sight and out of mind while growing so I was hoping on fruiting them up in the attic in a box. Alterations to the box can be made if light is absolutely necessary though.

You need some light to initiate pinning (get it to fruit).

Quote:

6. How long does the whole process take on average?

Depends on how good you are. A good rule is probably 1-2 months total.

Hope that helped!

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: micro]
    #1557494 - 05/18/03 11:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response. As far as lighting goes I still plan on fruiting with my terranium stashed safely in a cardboard box in my basement and I was thinking about getting one of those tiny taplights you see on t.v and at Walmart. Ya know the circular ones that you tap and they turn on. Would those work to initiate pinning?

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1557674 - 05/18/03 01:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

thats the wrong kind of light. You need to get a flourecent (I cant spell) grow light. or you can just take the mushrooms outside for a day and give them a natural sun bath

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: whole9]
    #1557682 - 05/18/03 01:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i disagree, afoaf used regular light bulbs,which i believe is the same light that a tap[ light would produce, i know that just red light wont work but the tap light should be fine, ive never heard that it had to be a flourescent light before, peeps talk bout using a string of x-mas lights often though

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: whole9]
    #1557695 - 05/18/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

thats the wrong kind of light. You need to get a flourecent (I cant spell) grow light.

Wrong answer. While some light is better than others, most, if not all lights are fine to initate pinning.

To the origional guy, you need to fan your cakes at least 3 times a day. This involves giving them air exchange, it may be somewhat of a pain in the ass to go up to your attic 3 times a day to fan them. Just do it in your closet.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1557696 - 05/18/03 01:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You can buy a 15 watt aquarium 'ballast' and a actinic blue bulb for under 40$, that light works great for me and it's fun to look at while tripping :smile:

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1557705 - 05/18/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

change of plans guys. A friend of mine said we could use his apartment to grow so I don't need to be stealthy anymore.

Now its not a question of how stealthily we can grow, but how much we can grow. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineNFNF
omghi2u
    #1557722 - 05/18/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

DO NOT FREAKIN TELL ANYBODY

and make sure your friend KNOWS THIS.

this is assuming you are in a country where people are still persecuted for what they choose to put in their own bodies.

--------------------
sup d00dz

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: NFNF]
    #1557772 - 05/18/03 02:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

in the US so yeah... :frown:

Not planning on telling anyone and I'll warn my friends not to as well. We're not gonna sell or anything so it should be able to stay on the down low.

Just ordered 1 syringe of B+ (and one free of Hawaiian) so hopefully we'll be able to get about 24 cakes out of this. That should be a lot of shrooms for the first grow.

If this grow goes well then we'll grow more later on.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1557790 - 05/18/03 03:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

good luck. for a first grow, with cakes and inevitable losses, you can pat yourself on the back if two months from now you have a nice dry pile of about 60g, enough for 20 first-timer trips.

an expert could grow up to 200g, but that would be some achievement. i certainly couldn't! :laugh:

enjoy! :smile:   

--------------------
buh

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: shirley knott]
    #1557823 - 05/18/03 03:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, this is just a trial run and we're hoping for the best but I know a few of the jars will be losses.

Whats the best way to minimize the risk? It would be a wonderful thing if all of our cakes turned out contamination free.

--------------------

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
Nihilist RiFF RaFF
Other User Gallery Arcade Champion: Blackjack

Loc: BC
    #1557897 - 05/18/03 04:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the best way to minimize the risk to sterilize the hell out of everything and follow your the instructions.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Edited by evilnick (05/18/03 04:19 PM)

OfflineArtifice
Poet

Re: New to growing shrooms, I need a few questions answered. [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #1558079 - 05/18/03 05:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When i innoculated my first jars, i had 12 full pint jars. I did it in open air in my bedroom without spraying any lysol or anything . 8 of the 12 jars were contaimated. Cobweb, and this brown nasty looking stuff were the invaders. Also, there was this really slow growing black thing in 2 of the jars. The other 4 jars are fine and i am waiting on them to pin. Its been 3.5 months snice then. My advice, bleach down your bathroom completley, walls and all. Spray lysol all over the place. Wait 3 minutes then inncoulate your sterilzed jars. Use 1/2 pint jars, and not the tall ones, use the fatter ones. They colonize quicker, much much quicker. If i used 1/2 pint fatty jars i probably would have waited only 1.5 months for everything. I was also a little impatiient with some of the jars and branded the uncolonized sections of the cakes. They look fine now, but i would not recomend this. Good luck. Go to erowid.com, they have a good section on mushroom growing too. B+ and PF strains colonize fast.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Grow Light

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation