Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination * 1
    #15553371 - 12/21/11 11:04 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination
December 21, 2011 - Drug War Chronicle

The Washington, DC, political news web site Politico.com reported Tuesday that Gary Johnson will end his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination and instead seek the Libertarian Party nomination. Citing Johnson campaign sources, Politico.com said that Johnson will make the announcement at a December 28 press conference in Santa Fe.

Calling news of the switch "the worst kept secret," Libertarian Party Chairman Mark Hinkle told Politico.com that Johnson had been in talks with Libertarian officials for months. "It looks like it's definitely going to come to fruition here," he said.

The former New Mexico governor's bid for the Republican nomination never got any traction and he never got above single digits in any polls. The low polling numbers keep him out of most debates -- unfairly, his campaign claimed -- further reducing his chances in a crowded field.

Johnson has a strong drug reform platform, which calls outright for legalization of marijuana and a harm reduction approach to other drugs.

"Abuse of hard drugs is a health problem that should be dealt with by health experts, not a problem that should be clogging up our courts, jails, and prisons with addicts," the platform says. "Instead of continuing to arrest and incarcerate drug users, we should seriously consider the examples of countries such as Portugal and the Netherlands, and we should ultimately choose to adopt policies which aim to reduce death, disease, violence, and crime associated with dangerous drugs."

Although it's no shoo-in, Johnson could well win the Libertarian nomination. While there are a handful of other contenders, none of them has Johnson's national stature. And while party stalwarts daydream of a Ron Paul or Jesse Ventura candidacy, Paul is busy fighting for the Republican nomination and says he has no plans to seek a third party nomination, and Ventura is incommunicado in Mexico.

If he wins the nomination, not only could Johnson use the campaign as a bully pulpit for his drug policy ideas, his candidacy could have an impact on the two-party presidential race, especially in his home state of New Mexico, which went big for Obama in 2008. According to a Public Policy Polling survey conducted earlier this month, Johnson would pull 23% in a contest with Obama (44%) and Romney (27%) and he would pull 20% in a contest with Obama (45%) and Gingrich (28%). Obama is currently polling well against all the Republican candidates and can probably carry the state, but a third party Johnson candidacy would almost ensure an Obama victory in a state he can ill afford to lose next year.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination [Re: veggie]
    #15553525 - 12/21/11 11:28 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Johnson has a strong drug reform platform, which calls outright for legalization of marijuana and a harm reduction approach to other drugs.

"Abuse of hard drugs is a health problem that should be dealt with by health experts, not a problem that should be clogging up our courts, jails, and prisons with addicts," the platform says. "Instead of continuing to arrest and incarcerate drug users, we should seriously consider the examples of countries such as Portugal and the Netherlands, and we should ultimately choose to adopt policies which aim to reduce death, disease, violence, and crime associated with dangerous drugs."

:thumbup:

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

OfflineLighterOfDoobies
Stranger

Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination *DELETED* [Re: Mushie23] * 1
    #15553745 - 12/22/11 12:17 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by LighterOfDoobies

Reason for deletion: -

Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination [Re: LighterOfDoobies] * 1
    #15553777 - 12/22/11 12:27 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I like the guy but sadly a Libertarian is just not going to win. :sad:

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination [Re: LighterOfDoobies]
    #15554555 - 12/22/11 04:24 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LighterOfDoobies said:
My worry is that the drug reform vote will be split between him and Ron Paul.

I feel the same way. Though I don't know anyone who's going to vote for Johnson. Ron Paul catches a lot of shit for running Republican but the fact is he probably has the right idea, it's better to try to change the stances of the republican party then run 3rd party. Johnson would make a great vice president for Ron Paul and I feel he should be throwing his support behind Ron Paul since they are both libertarians and Ron Paul clearly has the most support.

Plus it shouldn't matter for the primary anyways which will be the deciding factor so I suppose vote splitting isn't an issue here. On the upside Johnson running as a libertarian will at least get the libertarian message out there more and that will be beneficial in itself.

Edited by Mycjunky (12/22/11 04:28 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination [Re: veggie]
    #15554964 - 12/22/11 08:17 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome.  I will probably be voting for him. 

:cool:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Circle Of Tyrants - Acid (The Story of LSD)

OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Gary Johnson to Seek Libertarian Presidential Nomination [Re: LighterOfDoobies]
    #15557518 - 12/22/11 06:36 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LighterOfDoobies said:
My worry is that the drug reform vote will be split between him and Ron Paul.

Interesting...that sucks though.  Lets get em together and be running partners!

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service