Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp?
    #1554664 - 05/16/03 07:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (05/16/03 07:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1556181 - 05/17/03 02:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What the heck are they used for? Taxing drugs? What's the purpose?

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineTekNut

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: djd586]
    #1556194 - 05/17/03 02:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's some info I found on the Kansas Drug Tax Stamps:

Kansas State Drug Tax Stamp Project Going Up In Smoke
The Joplin Globe; January 27, 2003

WICHITA, Kan. - The Kansas state budget has been a little strapped lately, but at least the drug dealers have been doing their part.

The state taxes marijuana and cocaine just as it does legal products such as alcohol and cigarettes. And state tax collections on marijuana increased by 3.6 percent, from $139,227 to $144,236, in the first half of this fiscal year. Tax collections on cocaine, methamphetamine and other hard drugs were up 20.6 percent, $252,515 to $304,905.

The state even issues a gold foil "drug tax stamp," showing a marijuana leaf, a vial of cocaine and three pills. The stamps come in handy denominations from $10 to $1,000.

Illegal drugs also have their own tax table. For example, there are three different rates for marijuana: "wet plant," "dry plant" and "processed."

Under the relevant state law, "The drug tax is due as soon as the dealer takes possession of the marijuana or controlled substance," according to the state Department of Revenue's Web site.

Dealers are supposed to "attach the stamp to the marijuana and/or controlled substance immediately after receiving the substance."

The tax allows the state to seek civil penalties from dealers regardless of the outcome of any criminal prosecution, said Bob Longino, director of the Division of Alcohol Beverage Control, the branch of the Revenue Department that administers the program.

Because the tax usually is collected only after a drug dealer is arrested, 75 percent of the money goes to the local law enforcement agency while 25 percent goes to the state general fund.

But no one seriously suggests that drug pushers are buying tax stamps.

"Just about the only people who buy those are stamp collectors," said Sen. Stan Clark, R-Oakley, a member of the Assessment and Taxation Committee.

"My son and I collect stamps, but we didn't want that kind of public exposure," he laughed.

He needn't have worried.

The Revenue Department is aware of the collector interest in its stamps, Longino said. "That's about all we sell."

The Revenue Department also assures that drug stamp purchases are anonymous - - and information is not shared with law enforcement - to protect the stamp buyers' constitutional right not to incriminate themselves in a crime.

(c) 2003 The Joplin Globe

So there ya have it!

Peace,
-TekNut-

OfflineTekNut

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: TekNut]
    #1556207 - 05/17/03 03:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

And here's one more site with a few photos and more information.  You can even possibly buy some of these stamps for your own personal collection! 

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/stamps.htm

I want that Texas stamp!!  :wink:

Peace,
-TekNut-

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: TekNut]
    #1556210 - 05/17/03 03:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's some more info on the tax stamps. This is actually about the marijuana stamps in Arizona, but the idea si the same:

July 1, 1983, Arizona was the first state to pass a "Cannabis & Controlled Substances" tax in order to increase the penalties applied against illegal drug dealers and users, and to print up a stamp to show that the tax has been paid. Having this stamp does NOT make it legal for you to possess, use, or sell these items. However, if you are caught in the state of Arizona with Marijuana or other controlled substances and do not have the proper revenue stamp applied to your product, you are subject to fines and forfeitures for tax evasion, in addition to the usual penalties for possessing illegal items.
In order to purchase the stamps from the state, you have to apply for an official illegal drug dealers license (which costs $100 by the way). The assumption of course is that anyone dealing in illegal drugs will not bother to purchase the license. Although the law requires that the name & address of anyone purchasing the license and the stamps be kept confidential, you do have to supply the state with your name, address, phone number, and social security number. One doubts that a criminal would be willing to provide that information. Since the law was passed over ten years ago,only 18 people have purchased the license (all presumably stamp collectors and stamp dealers).

After Arizona came up with this brilliant revenue-raising idea, over twenty other states have passed various Marijuana and drug taxes. There are tax stamps for Marijuana, Controlled substances, LSD, psychedelic mushrooms, and others. Unfortunately some of the stamps are quite expensive. (They range in price from 35 cents to $4000.00). Some of the expensive ones (according to the State Revenue Department) have never been purchased by anyone. For the first ten years, of the Arizona stamps, 83 sheets of the 1 gram Cannabis stamp were sold, and 3 sheets of the Cannabis 1 ounce stamp were sold. ($10) No one has ever bought any of the Cannabis one kilo, ($352.74) or any of the three controlled substances (1 gram, $8.80; 1 ounce, $250; and 1 kilo, $4000). Remember that you have to buy an entire sheet of 50 stamps.

Please note that the stamps themselves are perfectly legal, and it is legal to resell them. (With the exception of Wisconsin. Supposedly it is illegal to resell the Wisconsin stamps in the state of Wisconsin.) They merely indicate that you have voluntarily paid the tax in order to get one of the stamps. These are genuine tax stamps issued by various state governments, and quite a collectible item.

North Dakota has "Demonitized" it's MJ tax stamps. They say they have only collected about $1000 on their MJ tax, so they've discontinued it. They sold 1000 sets of their three stamps to collectors (it took one week to sell them all).

Recently, something interesting has happened. The authorities in Arizona arrested a fellow who was selling marijuana, and he had a license and had put the tax stamps on his "product". A judge decided that if the state sold him a license, they shouldn't arrest him for selling the product so licensed. So he dismissed the charges against the fellow. The last I heard, the state had appealed and the case was still wending its way through court. Personally, I think the fellow is going to eventually end up in jail, but in the meantime, suddenly the license and the stamps are very popular. So popular, that they have sold out the original stamps and printed a new edition.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: ummikko]
    #1556230 - 05/17/03 03:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't remember the specifics, but at one time (early 90's if I remember correctly) somebody got off from cannabis possession in arizona because they had paid the tax before they were caught.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? *DELETED* [Re: Seuss]
    #1557425 - 05/18/03 08:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineSuperSpun
Not quite surewhat happened

Loc: India
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: poke smot!]
    #1560142 - 05/19/03 03:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am against the Wisconsin Mushroom tax stamp.

--------------------

Not quite sure what happened

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Wisconsin Mushroom Tax Stamp? [Re: SuperSpun]
    #1560829 - 05/19/03 07:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So was Wisconsin. They have declared it unconstitutional.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience