Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: lemunhed]
    #1557642 - 05/18/03 11:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsychopsilocyber
Male

Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1557658 - 05/18/03 11:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It could be possible but it is very unlikely the temeratures and surrounding plant life would be similar, there would have to be a whole planet size ball of spores to make the probability go up. Plus the planet they came from would likely be a different distance from the sun, but now that I think about that it may also be possible that the matter in most solar systems forms similarly. For this you might have to think of why most of the matter settled out into the gravitational ring around the sun it is in now. Maybe the reason for that could be temperature and gravity, if so than there is a good chance a planet just like ours has formed somewhere else, maybe one with the same matter at different ratios. If the universe is semetrical, which it probobly is if you think about how it formed, than there may be a planet with the same ratios of the same matter somwhere else, but this would mean that planet had spores that came from a different planet too. But this is all just an unlikely series of events, fun to think about I guess.

Male

Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #1557676 - 05/18/03 11:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Good link, now considering there is a planet very similar to our own, what's to say the "people" there didnt do the same thing? Consider the Drake Equation.

Edited by psychopsilocyber (05/18/03 11:29 AM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1557864 - 05/18/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Given the time frame that we are talking about anything is not only possible but probable. The reason that we are having this discussion is because most people don't think of time as having no beginning and no end. In our short life span we only have to deal with time in terms of years and that is just not long enough to understand interplanetary events.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) *DELETED* [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1557865 - 05/18/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: poke smot!]
    #1557907 - 05/18/03 02:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The latest evidence suggests life formed far earlier than was first thought - only around 160 million years after the formation of the earth itself. The chances of random fluctiations creating a molecule like DNA within that space of time are vanishingly small.

So either primitive life spontaneously creates itself within very short periods of time given the opportunity, or it was brought here by the enormous comet bombardments the early earth went through.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: Xlea321]
    #1558056 - 05/18/03 03:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think there is a very important point that has been overlooked.

All life on earth: every plant, animal, fungus, protist, and bacterium uses nucleic acids to store genetic information. Nucleic acids, DNA and RNA, are incredibly complex and statistically, the probability of a system this complex evolving independently and exactly the same way in two different places is next to zero. If nucleic acids somehow traveled to earth through space or on a meteor, all life on earth then must have evolved from that one organism that somehow survived. So in the case of a mushroom spore, if one came from space then it must have colonized the whole planet and given rise to all life here. There is evidence to suggest that, at least, we didn't all evolve from mushrooms.

The conditions under which nucleic acids are able to exist are very narrow - the temperature must be in the range where water is a liquid. Also, electromagnetic radiation causes mutations in nucleic acids, which is another big problem for the space alien bacterium. While here on earth there's a strong magnetic field that protects us from high energy radiation and particles, astronauts are at an increased risk of cancer later in life because high energy radiation from the sun causes mutations in their DNA. A spaceship offers no protection against this radiation, and even a bacterium buried deep inside a large asteriod is offered little protection. Earth's magnetic field results from its rapid rotation and its liquid metallic mantle. Asteroids, meteors, and mushrooms spores do not have magnetic fields. Proteins, which are also present in all life forms i can think of, and which people used to think stored genetic information, are also denatured by high energy electromagnetic radiation, heat, etc. Space is not a friendly place, and it's a long hard trip. There is also the element of distance. Things are so far apart in our expanding universe!

It's a nice idea but I fall back on occam's razor - the most simple explanation tends to be the one that is true. Life as we know it on earth probably originated on earth.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Edited by the spiral (05/18/03 03:41 PM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: the spiral]
    #1558112 - 05/18/03 04:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Is that the most simple explanation? A molecule as complex as DNA suddenly created itself and gave birth to life within 160 million years?

Perhaps - it's a tough call to make.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Male

#1558190 - 05/18/03 05:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My bad, I thought you were talking about gravity :blush:

Edited by psychopsilocyber (05/18/03 10:24 PM)

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1558546 - 05/18/03 08:06 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Uh, no? If that were true then when you got spun on a mery-go-round you would go inward rather than outward. Every particle has a weight, when enough are together there is enough weight to creat a force called gravity, at least a stronger force than there is with fewer particles.

Pasted from http://science.howstuffworks.com/compass1.htm:

"No one knows for sure, but there is a working theory currently making the rounds. As seen on the above, the Earth's core is thought to consist largely of molten iron (red). But at the very core, the pressure is so great that this superhot iron crystallizes into a solid. Convection caused by heat radiating from the core, along with the rotation of the Earth, causes the liquid iron to move in a rotational pattern. It is believed that these rotational forces in the liquid iron layer lead to weak magnetic forces around the axis of spin. "

And If you want to know how earth's magnetic field protects us from radiation in space, visit http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/glossary/plasmaspheric_gain.html&edu=high

The earth's magnetosphere has played a large role in allowing life to develop on this planet.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Edited by the spiral (05/18/03 08:12 PM)

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1558653 - 05/18/03 08:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice link, I suggest you post it in Motaman's News Forum.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: daba]
    #1558766 - 05/18/03 08:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

This thread is the type of discusion that rarely takes place in every day life. I can see that there are some really intrlligent people here that can challenge me to know more. In every day conversations one can usually get by with bits and pieces of information picked up here and there. I can see that I'll have to do my homework to stay on my toes with all of you.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1559120 - 05/18/03 11:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

OK, how about this? A very primitive lifeform evolves on a planet without a reasonable magnetic field. So it's habitat is constantly bombarded by radiation and elementary particles. This lifefrom has simple DNA with lots of built in protection againt error. It's a very hardy lifeform because the conditions on the planet are harsh. It lives inside a rock. A meteor stikes the planet near the place where it lives. A piece of rock containing the lifeform is shot into space, drifts around and falls to earth.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Edited by cybrbeast (05/19/03 12:03 AM)

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: cybrbeast]
    #1559239 - 05/19/03 01:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

just read Dreamatrix's link, and saw this:

"To test whether meteorites might protect the bacteria on their journey through space, Horneck and her colleagues mixed samples of 50 million spores with particles of clay, red sandstone, Martian meteorite or simulated Martian soil, to make small lumps a centimetre across. In most of the samples, between 10,000 and 100,000 spores of the original 50 million survived. And when mixed with red sandstone, nearly all survived. The results suggest that even meteorites as small as a centimetre in diameter could carry life from one planet to another, if they completed the journey within a few years. "

So perhaps meteorites offer more protection than I'd guessed. 

And I like your scenario cybr :smile:  I think you've hit upon the truth here.

--------------------

Edited by the spiral (05/19/03 01:14 AM)

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
    #1559847 - 05/19/03 11:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

believe what Terrence McKenna was talking about was the possibility of microscopic organisms being trapped in ice inside of interplanetary debris.

All respect to McKenna, but if he thinks stuff like this, and sells it in a book, then he definately flipped the script in his head!

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1560033 - 05/19/03 12:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

believe what Terrence McKenna was talking about was the possibility of microscopic organisms being trapped in ice inside of interplanetary debris. 

All respect to McKenna, but if he thinks stuff like this, and sells it in a book, then he definately flipped the script in his head! 

:smirk:

In that case there is a large number of well respected scientists and researchers who are off thier rockers too. To think that just about all inovations in technology and scientific theory comes from someone that thinks so differently than the average every day man or woman. :shocked: 

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1560795 - 05/19/03 04:58 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Dennis also kind of ask me one time what i thought about his brothers alien spore theories and I kinda laughed and shrugged my shoulders in disbelief and Dennis smiled as if in some kind of agreement.

This is Terence's DMT entities talking inhis head to him. Probably alien lifeform entities from the sprits of the DMT plants.

mj

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1562306 - 05/20/03 02:57 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You are really being arrogant just dismissing these theories. I don't know about spores but the theory of microscopic organisms surving such a journey is pretty sound. The likeliness of it happening is another matter, but the possibility is certainly there.
You are underestimating the hardiness of life and overestimating the dangers of space for microscopic lifeforms.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

OfflineShroomyJ
Psychoactive Guy

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: cybrbeast]
    #1562370 - 05/20/03 04:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Spores don't burn in the atmosphere because they are soo tiny, they don't fall fast, so they don't burn (the reason why things burn when entering the atmosphere is because of the gravity all the way down makes things go fast and the air provides friction)

Edited by ShroomyJ (05/20/03 04:59 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Shrooms in SPACE!! (hardiness of spores) [Re: ShroomyJ]
    #1562520 - 05/20/03 08:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Spores don't burn in the atmosphere because they are soo tiny, they don't fall fast, so they don't burn (the reason why things burn when entering the atmosphere is because of the gravity all the way down makes things go fast and the air provides friction)

Time for a basic science course. Earth gravity alone will not accelerate an object much past 130 mph, which is insufficient to cause any kind of burnup.

Rockets re-entering are usually at speeds in excess of 20,000 mph and meteorites usually exceed 50,000mph.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale