Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
The Bible Code
    #1553716 - 05/16/03 12:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Who's heard of it? Who knows anything about it? I'm reading a book on it, but I'd like to hear peoples opinions before I go into detail...

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: The Bible Code [Re: nubious]
    #1553770 - 05/16/03 12:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

load of cobblers mate! I think they tried running that search programe on lots of different books and found similar results.

Do they use the english translation of the bible?

do a google search and find some folks who disagree with that geeza and they should say why. Think some other folks have written books about that book too

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Re: The Bible Code [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1553794 - 05/16/03 12:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hrmm.. no they don't use the english translation.. it has to be done with the ORIGINAL Hebrew version.. like, the version that was apparently given to Moses by God.... I dunno.. it's pretty convincing...

[edit]
They tried running it on other books and nothing produced results like this one did. War and Peace was one of them, as well as a few others. The text they used (the originaly hebrew scripture) is only 300,000 some off characters long, so it's not an extremely big book either. What led them to find the 'code' is that if you take the first letter of each book of the old testament, skip five letters, and takle that letter, skip 5 letters, take the next, etc, it spells TORAH in EVERY book of the oiginal testament. That led them to believe there was stuff encoded in the bible. From there they developed a computer program that could sort through it all and search for results.
[/edit]

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Edited by nubious (05/16/03 01:01 PM)

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
    #1553799 - 05/16/03 01:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so bible codes only work on the first 5 books of the old testament in hebrew without any vowels? we don't have the originals of these old books, just edited versions by scribes.

i personally think "bible codes" are bullshit and can be done with any book. i remember a study where they used other books and came up with the same type of data.

anyways, give your first born to YHWH

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: The Bible Code [Re: billy cuts]
    #1553831 - 05/16/03 01:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think the old testiment is the same as the Jewish Torah.
The Torah is coppied, by hand, exactly, if there is a mistake made the page is started over again.

They found a bit of the Torah that was around 2000 years old and there was no difference in that version from todays.

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1553844 - 05/16/03 01:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It's bullshit.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1553845 - 05/16/03 01:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

There is an old song by the band Judas Priest that is supposed to sound like the phrase "I gave her a peppermint" if you play it backwards.

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Re: The Bible Code [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1553853 - 05/16/03 01:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm....

The Torah, or Pentateuch, is just the first 5 books of the Old Testament. These are also called the Mosaic Law as they are supposedly the law handed to Moses from YHWH. They are indescripancies, subtractions, additions, and changes to the text to reflect what the scribe was trying to get across at that time. The oldest Old Testament text they have which is near complete is Isaiah. The oldest manuscript is from 7th century BCE which is Aaron from Numbers.

The thing is is all these stories in the Pentateuch are simply stolen from other cultures. The flood story, Moses' laws, Sheol, and various others are actually on tablest from the Babylonian era.

That makes me wonder as to why there would be a code within rehashed stories.....

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Re: The Bible Code [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1553865 - 05/16/03 01:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

well, I suppose that without reading the book some may term it 'bullshit' and 'propaganda'... and I wouldn't expect anything less .. The guy who recommended it to me suggested it and I in turn replied the exact same way as you Murex, yet after reading this book and understanding how they went about finding this code and what not, I am definately considering the possibility. I don't expect you to believe, nor do I wish to sway your opinion towards that of. I appreciate your input, but an explanation of why "it's bullshit" would be welcome next time, rather then one phrase with know reasons why.

I think the old testiment is the same as the Jewish Torah.
The Torah is coppied, by hand, exactly, if there is a mistake made the page is started over again.

They found a bit of the Torah that was around 2000 years old and there was no difference in that version from todays.

You're right - it talks about that as well. If there is ANY letter that has been miscopied, then it is scrapped and started over again. It has to be exact - The author of this book suggests so is to preserve the original code.

Just so we're clear: I'm not religious. I was enrolled in Catholic school in grade 4 against my will and forever feel that Catholosism is a money making scam used to control people. I feel religon is the downfall of mankind, yet this book makes very good points. It's written by a reporter who takes a REPORTING stance on it - a non religious one. I definately recommend this book to any who at all interested in intelligent life beyond that of humankind.

--------------------

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

#1553883 - 05/16/03 01:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, they are basing the copying theory on Isaiah alone. There are only minor spelling errors from then to now. However, we don't have any of the other books from that time.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1553960 - 05/16/03 02:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have no obligation to state why I think it's bullshit. I also don't want to waste my time explaining it to you. You can believe whaever you want to believe. I don't care.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: The Bible Code [Re: Murex]
    #1553981 - 05/16/03 02:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i don't know were i heard this but the bible has a number code, similar to a genetic code of some sorts, or a evolutionary code?

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Re: The Bible Code [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1554463 - 05/16/03 05:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Murex... you're defensive position leaves me somewhat perplexed and concerned for your personal well being... we're all friends here.. no need to get snappy...

--------------------

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1554489 - 05/16/03 05:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

nubious,  you just helped further something interesting and noteworthy, in terms of concepts... 

Thanx for bringing it to the table !

:grin:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineFatNug
Si-Hing

Loc: Everywhere at 1nce
Re: The Bible Code [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1554641 - 05/16/03 06:50 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yea, and at the beginning of one of Tupac's songs, if you listen real close, you can kind of hear him say what sounds like "suge killed me"

--------------------
================================================So what's your peace of mind huh? A swiss watch? leasin' a Lex on credit? all the pussy and liquor a nigga can get..put together this puzzle, but my pieces won't fit.. {Ras kass}

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #1554662 - 05/16/03 07:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I bought that book for my dad about 4 years ago and I don't think he ever read it.. might have to steal it back and give it a read.. I first saw it serialised in a newspaper and it did suprise me how convicing it was..

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1554668 - 05/16/03 07:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Re: The Bible Code [Re: FatNug]
    #1554675 - 05/16/03 07:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

""suge killed me""
--------------

Who is suge?

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Re: The Bible Code [Re: Rob_K]
    #1554695 - 05/16/03 07:18 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

"I bought that book for my dad about 4 years ago and I don't think he ever read it.. might have to steal it back and give it a read.. I first saw it serialised in a newspaper and it did suprise me how convicing it was.. "
-------------------

I've never read that book... nor, others like it...  I'm just saying... 

The concept is where it's at !!!

It is a turn in an interesting direction. 

Be cautious of everything you read...  not everything tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

However, I'll stress that,  the concept IS one compelling method (of many that may co-exist)  to demonstrate intelligence.

I'm not saying that it is all of the truth, but, it does provide a potential "how to observe" example..  [for the existing drivers...  the passengers are just coming for the ride ]

With more examples like this, perhaps everyone can learn how to see... But I can't speak for everyone... Some people just don't want to...  and you can't make them.

:grin:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1554741 - 05/16/03 07:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

suge knight, owner of death row records.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology