Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
1st time newbie failure
    #1548359 - 05/14/03 02:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

my friend just failed. I would consider it a learning experience if he knew why exactly his cakes delayed pinning and started to contam. Almost everyone of them showed bluing towards the end, the one that fruited got birthed because a massive pin jutted from it inside the 1/2 pint jar. Once he put it in the terrarium, that masssive pin stopped developing and the cake gave up. Something was seriously wrong with his setup but I'm not sure what it was. Do his circumstances sound like a result of poor gas exchange? He had an air pump pushing oxygen into the tank 24/7 but now he thinks that it might not have been sufficient, here's why:

He put his perlite in three containers lining the bottom of the terrarium perfectly. He got the idea from a suggestion he'd seen on the boards or in a tek or something and he did it because it seemed cleaner. However, because the perlite was not directly touching the bottom of the terrarium, there was space in between the perlite containers. His theory is that the space just hoarded co2 constantly because all of the pumping was going on above it and the exchange vent was in the roof. Was this the problem??

Has anyone else failed on their first time?? Please tell me your stories so I'll feel better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: 1st time newbie failure [Re: igore]
    #1548364 - 05/14/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

move this tread

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: 1st time newbie failure [Re: fugu]
    #1548444 - 05/14/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If you have that much air exchange going on 24/7, you may have pumped out all of your humidity. Perlite works great but it takes time for it to humidify a chamber. Too much air exchange may have been the problem. Did you use a hygrometer to check humidity? Was there a good amount of condensation on the walls? Also, was the air you were pumping in well filterd? If you move that much unfiltered air through a chamber, you are a lot more likely to get contams.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlinemoldmaster
mold fighter forlife
Loc: contamville, Trich
    #1548566 - 05/14/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Okay. Let's start with the bluing, which is brusing not contamination. Bruising can be caused by just touching the cake or even spraying water on the cake.
Next, how deep was the perlite layer? If it was an inch or more and pretty wet, then there's no way in hell he could have pumped out the humidity. My friend has a pump in every container and his problem comes with lowering the hum.
I am not exactly sure why the perlite isn't touching the bottom of the container, so I don't know what kind of effect that would have on your cakes.
You need to be a little clearer as to each step you took. If you noticed the pin growing while it was in the growing chamber and then put it into the fruiting chamber, then the change in temp. could have halted the growth.
If you can remember step by step what happened then it will be easier to figure out. Hell, you might have thought you had contamination when you really didn't.

--------------------
Wham bam kick yo ass contam. Mold doesn't even dare to enter my shit because I have the remedy

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1550098 - 05/15/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like they dried out.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: 1st time newbie failure [Re: Magash]
    #1550224 - 05/15/03 03:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

dont give up!

I failed once and the second time I fucked up the sterilization and didnt waste spore(thank god) and the thrid time
well.......I just ate my first howegrown shroom 2 days ago!!!!!!!

keep trying

(the above was a dream)

--------------------

OfflineRaedon
enthusiast

Re: 1st time newbie failure [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1550377 - 05/15/03 07:30 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My first Mushroom Cultivation was 6 jars of green goo. :P Don't give up!

Sounds like a hard core humidity problem. Get a cheap $7.99 wallymart Vicks Coolmist humidifier.

Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Re: 1st time newbie failure [Re: Raedon]
    #1553199 - 05/16/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Up date. He was using a hygrometer, and the pump was inside a filter box. The walls were constantly covered in condensation with a reading of 99% (which eventually short-circuited the hygrometer). What I'm really confused about is the gas exchange problem my friend may have had. As I mentioned above, his perlite was in 3 rubbermaid containers side-by-side on the inside of the terrarium. This left alot of free air-space in the bottom quadrant of the setup (around the sides of the containers, etc.) If this area had been trapping co2 around the bottom of the cakes, would it halt growth and cause bruising?

The bruising on his cakes was so extreme he couldn't look at them. It didn't seem normal compared to the perly white cakes on the internet.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1553207 - 05/16/03 01:27 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

In what relation to your perlite containers are your cakes? They should be on top of them and therefore above any collection of CO2.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder