Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedanma
Dried out cakes
    #2985004 - 08/10/04 07:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all,
I went on vacation for 9 days and left my friend in charge of taking care of my stuff. Naturally, it didnt go as planned. 5 jars were almost fully colonized when I left: 4 days after leaving, I had him birth and then dunk them for 8 hours. He put them into a large tupperware container with the perlite, and fanned a couple times a day but didnt mist. When I got back the cake (pf tek verm &brf) seemed very dry. I immediately wet them a bit. Is there a danger of overdrying? The cakes dont show any sign of pinning as of yet. Should I just rehydrate them and hope for the best or what?
To sum up: 5 days without misting of anything. And i'm thinkign the fannign several times a day might have dryed them out even more by lowering the huidity. The bottoms of the cakes, which rested on the lids, felt moist but the other parts very very dry. Keep, or toss to make room for the 12 more i have coming? (I'm def buying a cool mist humidifier so I dont have to deal with this shit.) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefauzet
Prince of Ohio
Loc: Ohio
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: danma]
    #2985126 - 08/10/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have experienced this during one of my first attempts. I found that dunking for 24 hours, then crumble and case seemed to work well. I also found that if a dry cake does finally pin the maturing shrooms will be very tiny! So I suggest dunking for 24 hours or no less than 12 and crumble and case them 50/50+

Goodluck :laugh:

--------------------
Omfg, I'm tripping balls.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: danma]
    #2985132 - 08/10/04 08:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ive also seen people inject them with sterile water to rehydrate the cakes. Havent done this myself though. Id go with fauzets advice.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #2986156 - 08/10/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yea, i would for sure dunk in a fridge for 24 hours, then toss em back into the tub... they should be just fine :smile:

OfflineDOUCHEBALL
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: haz]
    #2986242 - 08/10/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

my friend is kinda in the same boat, except they hadnt even started to colonize yet. hes not sure if the spore syringes were bunk, or weather the cakes just dried out in the incubating stage. he injected three of the cakes with sterilized water, and one cake with the leftover syring. any advise or ideas? thanks -doucheball

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: DOUCHEBALL]
    #2986275 - 08/10/04 02:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thats proabbly from not using enough water in the inital prep of the substrate... not sure what can be done from there... the dunk i was talking about is if the cakes are fullly colonized already... like you got a few flushes and they were starting to dry out, then you wou8ld dunk for 24 hours and put back in the tub for more flushes.

Offlinezacharyrs
Stranger
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: fauzet]
    #15520668 - 12/15/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was using the pf tek method and I'm having the same problem. The cakes were dry when I took them out of the jars because they were in the jars too long(even had some fruiting while they were in the jars). I dunked for 30 hours and rolled 4days/3nights ago. They're not doing anything and I think they are still too dry, despite being misted 2-4 times a day. I'm thinking I need to get a humidifier and maybe a light? What temp should they ideally be at to fruit/pin? And does anyone have any recommendations on a gauge that can tell me the temp/humidity that they like?

Thanks for helping a nervous n00b :smile:

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: zacharyrs]
    #15520774 - 12/15/11 01:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

seriously guys, here is a tek where leapordman actually dries his cakes out on purpose, he claims it actually helps produce more shrooms in a long run. I have never tried it but he is a TC and he has plenty of pics to back up his theory.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12002751/fpart/1

--------------------
MrFunGuy: "I figured if I put a 15lb cinder block on top of the pot lid that it would cook @15 psi."[]

OfflineXLucy in the SkyX
with Diamonds
Male

Re: Dried out cakes [Re: jim617]
    #15520970 - 12/15/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

cakes can sit in the FC for a while with no pins. just keep up FAE, RH in the upper 90's, and light 12 on 12 off and you will eventually get pins. iv waited 2 weeks for a cake to pin

--------------------
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve, nor will he recieve, either.
-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineCircleofFifths
Can I has a mushy?

Loc: Right behind YOU!!!
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: haz]
    #15521585 - 12/15/11 03:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

haz said:
yea, i would for sure dunk in a fridge for 24 hours, then toss em back into the tub... they should be just fine :smile:

If they are cubes don't bother putting them in the fridge. Just leave the dunking container covered and out on a counter or table for the duration of the dunk.

Offlinezacharyrs
Stranger
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: XLucy in the SkyX]
    #15522127 - 12/15/11 05:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

XLucy in the SkyX said:
cakes can sit in the FC for a while with no pins. just keep up FAE, RH in the upper 90's, and light 12 on 12 off and you will eventually get pins. iv waited 2 weeks for a cake to pin

I'm VERY new - I have no idea how FC, FAE or RH translate. I'm assuming you mean to fan them and make sure there is high humidity? I haven't been fanning them because I just read today about people doing that... how often/ how much should they be fanned?

Also, these cakes aren't fruiting at all, just to make sure we are clear that there has been no growth on the cakes. I'm not sure if I should get a humidifier/fan and keep going *OR* if I should dunk them again for about 24 hours first and then put them back in the terrarium with the humidifier/fan...

Thanks again!

OfflineXLucy in the SkyX
with Diamonds
Male

Re: Dried out cakes [Re: zacharyrs]
    #15525438 - 12/16/11 10:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

FC-fruiting chamber
RH-relative humidity
FAE-frequint air exchange

to get pinning you need 3 things. RH 95 or above, 12 hours light, and FAE. id be willing to bet that the reason you have no pinning is co2 build up. pins have a low tolerance for c02. to fan just use the lid of your FC make sure the lid is relativly clean and give um a 30-45 second fanning 3-5 times a day. dunking might not be a bad idea either.

--------------------
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve, nor will he recieve, either.
-Benjamin Franklin

Offlinezacharyrs
Stranger
Re: Dried out cakes [Re: XLucy in the SkyX]
    #15528710 - 12/16/11 11:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks soooo much ! :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder