Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
Invisibleblkjkrabbit

english is an extremely peculiar and shit language * 3
    #15508541 - 12/13/11 02:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

We have such a strange language. To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue. And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

But beyond that are a myriad of other observations I've seen. Some I can explain or communicate in a way to you you may understand, others are just peculiar intuitions about concepts which I can only grasp at...

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous. There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

Thus in the variety of contexts in life we find ourselves in, there are invariably numerous ways to interpret a statement (was that sarcastic? what did that MEAN!?!). We simply GRASP that we have chosen the correct response, and have faith it was correct.

This seems to me a very good aspect for those who do not wish to be accountable for what they say. And if you believe your word is your bond, that is a very strange place to live where ambiguity is the goal...

In Germany, they have very specific rules that apply throughout the language, with no loss of continuity. Nouns have genders, subject object verb, etc. etc. Very specific.

English on the other hand, in my experience with the nature of the legal and the corporate world, seems to be a language of legal ambiguity. Definitions seemingly suited to be distorted the moment they come under intense scrutiny.

Agh. This is strange to explain. Does anyone have an inkling of what I am attempting to convey?

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island... :noyoudidawet:  :Awesketch:  :Awemazing:

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: blkjkrabbit]
    #15508547 - 12/13/11 02:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't read that but english is number one and everyone should speak it.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

OfflineDeltron3030
Stranger
Male

#15508549 - 12/13/11 02:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the only letters i need to know are 'u' 's' and 'a'

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
To Phenethylamine and Beyond
Loc: Apart of Joe's Ego
    #15508551 - 12/13/11 02:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Language all together is a pretty new thing by universal standards, give it some time.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.
                                                                  1. to be a sensible man, embodied by a fool, and presently at peace

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Nemo_Hoes] * 2
    #15508560 - 12/13/11 02:15 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:

Then you really aren't adding to the discussion and should refrain from posting irrelevant warble warble.

Honestly this is the kind of crap that gets to me. I try to make a concise thread, it's not that fucking long. Typical american turd, your fucking 5 second attention span. :tard:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: 0rusnjos]
    #15508566 - 12/13/11 02:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Language all together is a pretty new thing by universal standards, give it some time.

This is true, but I find it is the most powerful realm to transmit ideology essentially - and most people let some mighty peculiar messages assimilate into their ideology...creeping in so slow you can't even barely detect it.

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508568 - 12/13/11 02:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

No the shit you just said just seemed dumb as hell so after two lines I stopped reading. You can't even speak english correctly so go blow some more guys and complain about how everyone is so dumb, you're in the pub. PLUR

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Deltron3030]
    #15508571 - 12/13/11 02:17 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Deltron3030 said:
the only letters i need to know are 'u' 's' and 'a'

cool, and then you could spell the acronym for a country that probably couldn't even spell the actual name of the country

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #15508576 - 12/13/11 02:19 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:
No the shit you just said just seemed dumb as hell so after two lines I stopped reading. You can't even speak english correctly so go blow some more guys and complain about how everyone is so dumb, you're in the pub. PLUR

Where in my thread did I complain everyone is so dumb? Oh that's right, you didn't read it, so based on your tiny fragment of understanding, you made a shit judgment call and ASSUMED, like an ASS, that I was stating everyone is dumb.

Way to be an ignorant little shit.

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508577 - 12/13/11 02:19 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah but we kicked your ass in that war, WE'RE NUMBER 1

--------------------

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
    #15508582 - 12/13/11 02:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

English is beautiful,
Using english we built the computer and sent a man to the moon. Using english, we have wonderful Beatles songs.

I think Germanic languages rock in general.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508590 - 12/13/11 02:22 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:
Yeah but we kicked your ass in that war, WE'RE NUMBER 1

I thought you didn't like my thread? What's wrong, such a big shot but can't find somewhere else to be a little bitch? I'm flattered :rofl:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #15508596 - 12/13/11 02:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Apollyphelion said:
English is beautiful,
Using english we built the computer and sent a man to the moon. Using english, we have wonderful Beatles songs.

I think Germanic languages rock in general.

I agree. I was under the impression during the founding of this country German was a close rival for the chosen national language.

Wonder how WW2 would've turned out had that happened!

But we are german based, but without the exactness. Peculiar, isn't it...

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
    #15508597 - 12/13/11 02:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Where you live Blkjkrabbit?

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Offline0rusnjos
    #15508599 - 12/13/11 02:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think body language and the way it's spoken is really where most of the message is, rather than in the actual language used.

Writing in English can sometimes pose a challenge when trying to get the message across. But like I said we're all pretty new to this language thing, no one is really all that good at it, and we all put an effort into creating it.  For fucks sake I just started a sentence with a preposition, if you got a problem with the English language let's here your suggestions, we decide what these words mean whether we understand the message or not. 

Ramble, ramble nonsense and what not.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #15508602 - 12/13/11 02:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Apollyphelion said:
Where you live Blkjkrabbit?

PNW, movin back to midwest soon

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: blkjkrabbit] * 1
    #15508614 - 12/13/11 02:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

english is the most expansive language. it's the most versatile. it makes lots of room for creativity through linguistic expression and conceptualizing

unfortunately, this is how most people use it

--------------------
smack a hoe out this dimension
continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, zappaisgod, big worm (sketch), tim b

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508617 - 12/13/11 02:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
I think body language and the way it's spoken is really where most of the message is, rather than in the actual language used.

Writing in English can sometimes pose a challenge when trying to get the message across. But like I said we're all pretty new to this language thing, no one is really all that good at it, and we all put an effort into creating it.  For fucks sake I just started a sentence with a preposition, if you got a problem with the English language let's hear your suggestions, we decide what these words mean whether we understand the message or not. 

Ramble, ramble nonsense and what not.

I suppose it isn't an issue with the language. But I think the problem is really it's potential for mass ambiguity in the presentation of the language..

People make very little effort to clarify things and then get upset when something didn't go according to plan due to a miscommunication. They spend excessive time mopping up the failure and going over where exactly the miscommunication occurred. This would not happen if we were to calmly explore all the possible avenues of interpretation, but most don't. We are so busy in this life we heap a quick statement on someone in a flash and expect them to carry it out exactly as we envision. It's bullshit.

Life at times feels more like people are in a constant parody and constant state of rhetoric and witty sarcasm than...reality.

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:34 AM)

Offline0rusnjos
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Envix]
    #15508629 - 12/13/11 02:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know, common English sounds for consonants and vowels do sound kinda ugly sometimes.  Like how Ab sounds kinda ugly sometimes, there's nothing wrong with Ab, but sometimes it can just sound unpleasant.  With the "Cas" the "Ahs" and the "Oos".

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
I suppose it isn't an issue with the language. But I think the problem is really it's potential for mass ambiguity in the presentation of the language..

People make very little effort to clarify things and then get upset when something didn't go according to plan due to a miscommunication. They spend excessive time mopping up the failure and going over where exactly the miscommunication occurred. This would not happen if we were to calmly explore all the possible avenues of interpretation, but most don't. We are so busy in this life we heap a quick statement on someone in a flash and expect them to carry it out exactly as we envision. It's bullshit.

Life at times feels more like people are in a constant parody and constant state of rhetoric and witty sarcasm than...reality.

Yeah people can be difficult sometimes, and life IS complicated and folks can be unreasonable, but whattayahgonnado man.  We're just talkin' monkeys.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Edited by 0rusnjos (12/13/11 02:37 AM)

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508633 - 12/13/11 02:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
I don't know, common English sounds for consonants and vowels do sound kinda ugly sometimes.  Like how Ab sounds kinda ugly sometimes, there's nothing wrong with Ab, but sometimes it can just sound unpleasant.  With the "Cas" the "Ahs" and the "Oos".

It's such a flat language. I hear it in people all the time, it is extremely monotonous and flat in it's pronunciation. LIFELESS. I speak/am literate in german and spanish as well and have noted the distinctions..They are subtle but english feels so robotic in most forms.

Care to give some examples (words or what have you) with your sounds there?

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:36 AM)

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508647 - 12/13/11 02:41 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Envix said:
english is the most expansive language. it's the most versatile. it makes lots of room for creativity through linguistic expression and conceptualizing

Exactly. Our propensity (tendency) to curtail or trim words down to text diminishes or in some cases seems to REPLACE the long lost original word/meaning connection. This is the kind of fucked up reality I envision, where people have substituted abstract/derivative ideologies and concepts from their interface in the world into fucking MUSH. This, to me, is what is creating people to live in simulated realities in this world, which are so fake, so disconnected, they endanger themselves and everyone around them.

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:49 AM)

InvisibleIveBeenRecycled
I like pie.
Female User Gallery

Loc: Under the mango tree.
    #15508651 - 12/13/11 02:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Too bad you don't speak Solresol.

--------------------
I feel good.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: IveBeenRecycled]
    #15508659 - 12/13/11 02:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IveBeenRecycled said:
Too bad you don't speak Solresol.

ENGLISH MOTHAFUCKA DO YOU SPEAK IT!

but what is solresol?

Offline0rusnjos
    #15508670 - 12/13/11 02:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I guess how you described it really sums it up well: "Flat language", monotonous in pronunciation, "lifeless".

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Envix said:

Exactly. Our propensity (tendency) to curtail or trim words down for to text diminishes or in some cases seems to REPLACE the long lost original word/meaning connection. This is the kind of fucked up reality I envision, where people have substituted abstract/derivative ideologies and concepts from their interface in the world into fucking MUSH. This, to me, is what is creating people to live in simulated realities in this world, which are so fake, so disconnected, they endanger themselves and everyone around them.

I always fear the English language will downsize and the image above will be the accepted version of English.  I don't even bother texting because I can't decipher my friends messages.  It's like "you" is actually spelled "u" now.

I don't know if I agree with your last final statement though, but to each his own.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: blkjkrabbit] * 1
    #15508674 - 12/13/11 02:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

X_aktLeEee. R pr0pensiti (t3Ndin-C) 2 kertayle 0r tRim werdz d0wn 4 2 txt deminishuz oar n sum cayssez s33ms 2 REPLAYSE teh LngL0st oareginael w3rd/m33nng cunnexsheion. dis iz teh kiEnd ov f0ked/up reeaelety i invezun, ware ppl av sobste2utid abztrakt/direvitev idiealoj3iz n konsepZ frm there inturf4yce n da werLd n2 fu**xing MUSH. dis, 2me, iz wat iz kree4ting ppl 2 liv n simyulaytd r3alateez n dis wrld, whch r s0 fAykE, soo0o dizkonnext3d, dey indaynjur dimselvz n evvry1 arrownd dem.

Offline0rusnjos
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Envix] * 1
    #15508680 - 12/13/11 02:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Get a Jamaican guy to read that aloud.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508690 - 12/13/11 03:01 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Envix said:
X_aktLeEee. R pr0pensiti (t3Ndin-C) 2 kertayle 0r tRim werdz d0wn 4 2 txt deminishuz oar n sum cayssez s33ms 2 REPLAYSE teh LngL0st oareginael w3rd/m33nng cunnexsheion. dis iz teh kiEnd ov f0ked/up reeaelety i invezun, ware ppl av sobste2utid abztrakt/direvitev idiealoj3iz n konsepZ frm there inturf4yce n da werLd n2 fu**xing MUSH. dis, 2me, iz wat iz kree4ting ppl 2 liv n simyulaytd r3alateez n dis wrld, whch r s0 fAykE, soo0o dizkonnext3d, dey indaynjur dimselvz n evvry1 arrownd dem.

that is just painful.

and you took the time to phonetically write all that drivel? wow. :rofl::rolleyes:

an endless parody. like a parrot. a parotty.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508703 - 12/13/11 03:05 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

0rusnjos said:
Well, I guess how you described it really sums it up well: "Flat language", monotonous in pronunciation, "lifeless".

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Envix said:

Exactly. Our propensity (tendency) to curtail or trim words down for to text diminishes or in some cases seems to REPLACE the long lost original word/meaning connection. This is the kind of fucked up reality I envision, where people have substituted abstract/derivative ideologies and concepts from their interface in the world into fucking MUSH. This, to me, is what is creating people to live in simulated realities in this world, which are so fake, so disconnected, they endanger themselves and everyone around them.

I always fear the English language will downsize and the image above will be the accepted version of English.  I don't even bother texting because I can't decipher my friends messages.  It's like "you" is actually spelled "u" now.

I don't know if I agree with your last final statement though, but to each his own.

I wouldn't necessarily completely agree with my conclusion either, but I do think people are living strange abstract (surrogate) realities and I'd definitely stand by that. And yes that is basically my fear is we are heading towards the movie Idiocracy.

"why you tryin' to read that word, you a FAG!?" :lolsy::nonono::kingcrankey:

InvisibleIveBeenRecycled
I like pie.
Female User Gallery

Loc: Under the mango tree.
    #15508712 - 12/13/11 03:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Don't unbellyfeel English, brah.

--------------------
I feel good.

OfflineVsnares.Zappa
bend over

#15508714 - 12/13/11 03:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

maybe it's impossible to communicate without any ambiguity. :thousandisland:

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Vsnares.Zappa]
    #15508759 - 12/13/11 03:37 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

just wait until we can communicate without the use of our current 6 senses, i bet it'll make english look like privitive gribble grabble

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508760 - 12/13/11 03:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Vsnares.Zappa said:
maybe it's impossible to communicate without any ambiguity. :thousandisland:

so you've never had a good rapport with someone? which comes with clarity?

you're saying every interaction you've ever had was always murk?

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Salomon]
    #15508761 - 12/13/11 03:40 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
just wait until we can communicate without the use of our current 6 senses, i bet it'll make english look like privitive gribble grabble

yeah, we'll just hook up our brains like the matrix and exchange binary yes and nos, OH THE FUCKING POSSIBILITIES THERE WILL BE!

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508764 - 12/13/11 03:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Shut up, I hate your guts. You make me sick.

--------------------

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
    #15508774 - 12/13/11 03:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:

u mad?

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508775 - 12/13/11 03:47 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:

tl;dr.

:laugh2:

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508777 - 12/13/11 03:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, haha. You are a fucking moron.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15508788 - 12/13/11 03:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dudes chill the fuck out, internet, serious business.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508790 - 12/13/11 03:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:
Yeah, haha. You are a fucking moron.

tl;dr

:lolsy::dontspillme::awedance:

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508797 - 12/13/11 03:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm calmer than you dude.

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15508799 - 12/13/11 03:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:seriousbusiness:

p.s.

tl;dr

Offline0rusnjos
    #15508812 - 12/13/11 04:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cracula said:
I'm calmer than you dude.

It wasn't a challenge bro.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#15508819 - 12/13/11 04:15 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You're a challenge, bro.

--------------------

Offline0rusnjos
    #15508828 - 12/13/11 04:22 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I agree.

--------------------
trip·ping (trpng)
verb.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #15509287 - 12/13/11 08:17 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

someone just shoot the Craggot in the face, and end his suffering.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: akira_akuma]
    #15509292 - 12/13/11 08:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
someone just shoot the Craggot in the face, and end his suffering.

No

Offlineakira_akuma

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: PreparationH]
    #15509295 - 12/13/11 08:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

that's fine. bump to the only useful thread in the pub.

:ripebanana:

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #15509300 - 12/13/11 08:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
that's fine. bump to the only useful thread in the pub.

:ripebanana:

No.

:trollhide:

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
    #15509308 - 12/13/11 08:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Reading your post, OP, it reminds me of my 1st acid trip. For the only time, everything made sense. There was no need for definition or words. That was the most peaceful Ive ever been.

I often wonder, if I spoke another language, would I speak that in my head, internally? Do I even speak English inside my head?
What if I never learned a language, what would be going on internally?

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: PreparationH]
    #15509309 - 12/13/11 08:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

English is the most efficient language for maintaining consistency of meaning between communicators, even when new words are being created on the spot. English allows one to figure the meaning of a new word out based on its composition, and a simple & systematic way of creating new words. English also allows for the most powerful logical inference; thus, it is a more useful language in the pursuit of persuasion.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: morrowasted]
    #15509325 - 12/13/11 08:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous. There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

Every language has homonyms. English actually has fewer than most. Most languages use the same word to mean many different things (ie bat, base) much more commonly than English does. If you want to be able to say lots of different kinds of things without using exorbitantly long words, you have to allow for context to inform the meaning of a word whose definition is ambiguous outside of any context.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15509330 - 12/13/11 08:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

question, OP: Are you fluent in any other languages? It doesn't seem like it, based on the original post.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15509343 - 12/13/11 08:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I work in a neuroimaging lab that studies developmental differences between monolinguals and bilinguals of various varieties, and I will let you in on a little secret: anyone who tries to tell you English is the hardest language to learn is full of shit. English is one of the easiest major languages in the world in learn. Perhaps only German is easier.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #15509514 - 12/13/11 09:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You know the average English speaker knows 10 000 words right?  That sounds like enough to me...

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15509544 - 12/13/11 09:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

There are a lot of things I feel and interpret that cannot be put into arranged letters though.

Ever seen the scene from Waking Life when they're talking about this (I think its the Ethan Hawk scene)

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: shLong]
    #15509548 - 12/13/11 09:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I guess now Im going in to language in general and not the peculiar nature of English

I cant resist (if you havent seen it, watch it)

PECULIAR? PECULIAR? ................PECULIAR? ?????:lolsy:

Edited by shLong (12/13/11 09:45 AM)

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #15509571 - 12/13/11 09:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Are you going to delete all your posts in this thread, too?

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#15509671 - 12/13/11 10:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
We have such a strange language. To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue. And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

But beyond that are a myriad of other observations I've seen. Some I can explain or communicate in a way to you you may understand, others are just peculiar intuitions about concepts which I can only grasp at...

Thus in the variety of contexts in life we find ourselves in, there are invariably numerous ways to interpret a statement (was that sarcastic? what did that MEAN!?!). We simply GRASP that we have chosen the correct response, and have faith it was correct.

This seems to me a very good aspect for those who do not wish to be accountable for what they say. And if you believe your word is your bond, that is a very strange place to live where ambiguity is the goal...

In Germany, they have very specific rules that apply throughout the language, with no loss of continuity. Nouns have genders, subject object verb, etc. etc. Very specific.

English on the other hand, in my experience with the nature of the legal and the corporate world, seems to be a language of legal ambiguity. Definitions seemingly suited to be distorted the moment they come under intense scrutiny.

Agh. This is strange to explain. Does anyone have an inkling of what I am attempting to convey?

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island... :noyoudidawet:  :Awesketch:  :Awemazing:

tl;dr

was that ambiguous?

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlineakira_akuma

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15509743 - 12/13/11 10:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Are you going to delete all your posts in this thread, too?

hardly anyone agreed with him, so probably.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15510300 - 12/13/11 12:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think what the OP is actually noticing is the peculariaty of language itself; or at least of the overwhelming extent to which we use and abuse it.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

Loc: earth
    #15510316 - 12/13/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

OP it seems like you used big words in an attempt to make yourself sound smart, when really it is obvious you thesaurused that shit.

ok maybe not...

anyway, I agree that english is a fucked up language, but it's the only one I know, and I'm stickin to it.

--------------------
Trippin? Click Me...... Me too!

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510336 - 12/13/11 12:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
question, OP: Are you fluent in any other languages? It doesn't seem like it, based on the original post.

Not exactly fluent but well spoken in English, Spanish, and German. Know little bits of french, Portuguese..

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Anthony]
    #15510343 - 12/13/11 12:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
OP it seems like you used big words in an attempt to make yourself sound smart, when really it is obvious you thesaurused that shit.

ok maybe not...

anyway, I agree that english is a fucked up language, but it's the only one I know, and I'm stickin to it.

I really don't care how I sound, or if you think it's cool.

Really. Don't. Care.

:shrug:

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510348 - 12/13/11 12:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well you cared enough to tell me that you don't care, which means you must care a little bit.

plus I never said I didn't think it was cool. you're drawing your own conclusions based on your subconscious knowing that you actually aren't cool.

PSYCHOLOGY!

--------------------

Edited by Anthony (12/13/11 12:25 PM)

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

#15510379 - 12/13/11 12:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

LEAVE HIM ALONE, TONY!

:lolsy:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510381 - 12/13/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
I think what the OP is actually noticing is the peculariaty of language itself; or at least of the overwhelming extent to which we use and abuse it.

Pretty much. I've noticed the large variety of people and the massive range of forms English can take on is quite ridiculous.. A huge variety of it is spoken by such a massive amount of different people.

I think while it is our common denominator, many people are attempting to retain their ancestry and would rather not integrate into english speaking americans. Many will only integrate to the point it is necessary to become gainfully employed, and that's it...

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

Loc: 127.0.0.1
    #15510442 - 12/13/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't read anything past the second paragraph of the OP.

How are you going to call English a shit language while you're using it concisely convey your disdain for this robust language. If it were a shit language as you claim, then why do hackers around the world learn English to communicate? Even if they all speak a common mother tongue, they still learn and communicate in English, because the other languages of the world pale in comparison to the linguistic opportunities granted to the speakers of English. All languages are technically inept when held to the same standards as English. I agree that English could do with some added brevity for everyday conversations, but if you're trying to converse about a subject that needs an in depth understanding to grasp at even a fundamental level, English is rightly the goto language for such a discussion.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: SOLID BASTARD]
    #15510457 - 12/13/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
I didn't read anything past the second paragraph of the OP.

How are you going to call English a shit language while you're using it concisely convey your disdain for this robust language. If it were a shit language as you claim, then why do hackers around the world learn English to communicate? Even if they all speak a common mother tongue, they still learn and communicate in English, because the other languages of the world pale in comparison to the linguistic opportunities granted to the speakers of English. All languages are technically inept when held to the same standards as English. I agree that English could do with some added brevity for everyday conversations, but if you're trying to converse about a subject that needs an in depth understanding to grasp at even a fundamental level, English is rightly the goto language for such a discussion.

I didn't read past a sentence of yours because you don't wish to fully communicate with my ideas so I'm not going to extend the same courtesy.

OfflineMorphogenesis
Theatre Semiotics

Loc: ∞
    #15510461 - 12/13/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Whatever the language, we're all still monkeys yapping about who fucked who, which resources are best to track down and hoard, and who said when, when, where, and how.

--------------------
Machine Age Maya

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15510470 - 12/13/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

I didn't read past a sentence of yours because you don't wish to fully communicate with my ideas so I'm not going to extend the same courtesy.

It's hard to "fully communicate" with ideas that haven't been clearly stated. Essentially what you have stated is that English is peculiar and shit.

Offlineakira_akuma

#15510481 - 12/13/11 12:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

he's seen the light of God. just talk about that and he'll nig you, so you won't ever have to "discuss" anything ever again.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Morphogenesis]
    #15510486 - 12/13/11 12:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Morphogenesis said:
Whatever the language, we're all still monkeys yapping about who fucked who, which resources are best to track down and hoard, and who said when, when, where, and how.

from a strictly technical point of view yes. but life is more than just trading bits of information like a computer. there is intonation, inflection, body language, eye contact, etc. All the elements of real communication that people are losing simply by interacting with screens and buffers, because we want to talk, but we can't really do it in person..So we go to what's "pragmatic" even if it completely undermines the sole purpose of communicating by boiling it down to its mere components. Word exchanged. You fill in the context.

What did I mean? What do you mean what did I mean I exchanged that word with you via e-mail 3 days ago how the hell should I know the mood that surrounded me writing it.

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

#15510497 - 12/13/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

It's hard to "fully communicate" with ideas that haven't been clearly stated. Essentially what you have stated is that English is peculiar and shit.

That's just him ducking the facts because he can't argue against them. Oh well...

OfflineMorphogenesis
Theatre Semiotics

Loc: ∞
    #15510503 - 12/13/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Emotions, compassion, telepathy, non-verbal kinetic body language, humor, and gobbledigook are definitely still inherit.

--------------------
Machine Age Maya

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510527 - 12/13/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

Wrong. And why are you cutting in on this?

If you actually read my post, you'd understand there are subtle aspects I was pointing to, and not walk away with just the subject title.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510530 - 12/13/11 01:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lol do you realize how petty you sound?

"Oh you have something to say to me? Well I'm not listening!HA!"

what, are you in 3rd grade?

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510531 - 12/13/11 01:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

That's just him ducking the facts because he can't argue against them. Oh well...

That's me just ignoring you and extending mutual courtesy. No more no less

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15510554 - 12/13/11 01:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

Wrong. And why are you cutting in on this?

If you actually read my post, you'd understand there are subtle aspects I was pointing to, and not walk away with just the subject title.

Cutting in?

I do not consider myself to be engaged in an argument. If I felt like insulting you, I would have. I haven't. I am talking about the subject matter, and trying to help you inform your own idea, because I believe I have had a similar one under the influence of psychedelics. I could actually give you a pretty complicated theory for the neural mechanisms of action behind the feeling that language is peculiar and inherently corrupt, arguing that you simply felt that way about English because it is the language with which you are most familiar.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15510565 - 12/13/11 01:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I did read your post actually, and I consciously decided not to directly address some of what you said because, quite frankly, much of it is completely misguided and wrong; but I had a feeling about where you were going with it and wanted to talk about that instead. If you want me to directly address the OP, I will.

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

#15510568 - 12/13/11 01:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Cutless said:
Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:

That's me just ignoring you and extending mutual courtesy. No more no less

I read two of your paragraphs, and only wrote one in response. You owe it to me to read it in the name of "mutual courtesy." :smirk:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510618 - 12/13/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I did read your post actually, and I consciously decided not to directly address some of what you said because, quite frankly, much of it is completely misguided and wrong; but I had a feeling about where you were going with it and wanted to talk about that instead. If you want me to directly address the OP, I will.

Elaborate on what's "wrong" with my subjective opinion, please.

If people here were interested in a well thought out and coherent post, I'd deliver it, but quite frankly, it's the fucking pub, and most posts that require thought or sincere effort are shat on by dipshits that write sarcastic shit to troll and pat themselves on the back about how ultra clever they are. So I shotgun a post and don't worry when I get those exact kind of asshats posting in my thread, but am grateful for the few that actual grasp at what the fuck I'm trying to convey.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510631 - 12/13/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:

Yeah, it's the internet. I don't care if you don't feel coddled :shrug::curbyourenthusiasm:

OfflineVsnares.Zappa
bend over

#15510640 - 12/13/11 01:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with the original post but the rest of this thread is just  :hulk:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: SOLID BASTARD] * 1
    #15510645 - 12/13/11 01:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

After reading the whole goddamn post, I still stand by my response. I'd like to add that you're harshing on the wrong problem. Your real complaint is human nature, not the hidden underhandedness of a language; languages have no intents as they're inanimate and are only here to serve the purposes of man. Your problem with English is that it's versatile enough to allow for people to be deceitful in their speech, instead of reserving guilefulness to the realm of actions.

Offlineakira_akuma

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Vsnares.Zappa] * 1
    #15510650 - 12/13/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

then you shouldn't bother answering or asking any questions and just say "i agree".

it be a whole lot easier.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510651 - 12/13/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Anthony said:

Yeah, it's the internet. I don't care if you don't feel coddled :shrug::curbyourenthusiasm:

Coddled? by....who? wtf are you talking about bro?

If you didn't want other peoples opinions, why did you make the post in the first place?

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510678 - 12/13/11 01:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
After reading the whole goddamn post, I still stand by my response. I'd like to add that you're harshing on the wrong problem. Your real complaint is human nature, not the hidden underhandedness of a language; languages have no intents as they're inanimate and are only here to serve the purposes of man. Your problem with English is that it's versatile enough to allow for people to be deceitful in their speech, instead of reserving guilefulness to the realm of actions.

Yes, basically. It's its capability as a vehicle for deceit. It seems like a language strictly for merchants. Our metaphysical realm consequently to me seems jam PACKED with deceit.

I also remember reading something about ancient languages like Phoenician where the pronunciation of words induced cavitation in certain parts of your brain, like this harmonic frequency of vibration that sort of served as some healing aspect of the act of communicating.. The source was questionable though, but I just have to wonder if other older native languages have some powerful elements in them we lack.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510691 - 12/13/11 01:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

unlikely. i actually think the english language is pretty capable of describing just about anything with as accurate of detail as you could want.

is it not?

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510697 - 12/13/11 01:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:awedance:
Regarding ancient languages..

The third point is this: by studying the roots of today’s modern languages, it becomes easier for people to see the likenesses between them, and picking up a new modern language becomes less difficult.  “Students who have studied Latin go on to learn other languages like French, Spanish or Italian so much more easily,” says a high school Latin teacher (Rawlings).  And since the English language, too, comes from ancient languages, many of their words are still part of it.  With only a vague knowledge of the ancient tongues, it is easy to pronounce the different-sounding words in a wrong way or misuse them in a sentence.

source - http://department.monm.edu/classics/cpl/PromotionalMaterials/Tagliabule.htm

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 01:37 PM)

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510743 - 12/13/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
unlikely. i actually think the english language is pretty capable of describing just about anything with as accurate of detail as you could want.

is it not?

It is capable, but that capacity is often undermined for the sake of brevity in our time crunched world.

If time = money, and your money is being diluted via inflation, then consequently your time will be rushed as expenses are fixed or rising and your effectively becoming poorer by the day - ALL things in the name of expediency and convenience here in the USA.

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#15510747 - 12/13/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Spanish is cool bc it feels like you are talking to the actual language to communicate.  English feels very monotone and dry but that's how it is.

Lol, why are people getting mad at shortening spellings of words??  Using symbols to communicate is still language.  A new language built off of our symbols just because we have technology is fucking incredible imo.

--------------------
★★

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510750 - 12/13/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

that's quite a conclusion to draw simply from the complexity of our language.

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: the human abstract]
    #15510789 - 12/13/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
that's quite a conclusion to draw simply from the complexity of our language.

It's not just from the complexity of the language, it's the keepers of the word.

The persons that disseminate the messages that permeate through this society (media) are generally the main abusers of the language. Turn your radio on to some popular rap station, you'll see what I mean. Guns bitchez hos ridin 24s oh yeahh thug life I'm retarded.

Quote:

the human abstract said:
Spanish is cool bc it feels like you are talking to the actual language to communicate.  English feels very monotone and dry but that's how it is.

Lol, why are people getting mad at shortening spellings of words??  Using symbols to communicate is still language.  A new language built off of our symbols just because we have technology is fucking incredible imo.

It is interesting, I agree - the derivative languages we can make are endless. But for the purposes of unity, of social cohesion, of clarity and understanding, that mentality to me seems to fail miserably. There needs to be a sense of continuity. Not that there can't be room for normal human interpolation, adaptation, inference, what have you, but good lord, sometimes the abstract interactions that take place have me baffled...

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 01:52 PM)

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15510944 - 12/13/11 02:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you insist.
Quote:

We have such a strange language.

In the grand scheme of languages, English is relatively un-strange. Strange, of course, remains to be defined, but as someone who is familiar with a number of different languages I feel comfortable rejecting your asserting that English is "such a strange language."

Quote:

To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue.

I agree. People tend to think in words these days, and that is very important. It is hard to have a thought in anything other than words once it becomes possible to do so, because words are the most effective medium of thought, since they can be shared between individuals. Keep in mind that up until the last millenium it was uncommon for people to read silently. Anytime something was read, it was read out loud. When people originally began to read silently, they were thought of as being very odd. It is very likely that in the past, people thought in language to much lesser extent than they do today. Perhaps this implies they thought less in general.

Quote:

And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame

Very well.

Quote:

in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

It seems like you are trying to say that because some people have larger vocabularies than others, their thoughts are actually richer, and that someone with poor thinking can never hope to truly understand someone with rich thinking; while people with rich thinking can approximate what is like to have poor thinking, as everyone has at some point had to learn to think in words.

Quote:

Alright.

Quote:

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous.

How so? English is one of the few languages where there is only one mode of existence, which we modulate using the verb "to be". You say you are familiar with Spanish; note that in spanish there are two modes of existence with two corresponding verbs: ser and estar. Ser implies a kind of existence that is fixed, while estar implies a kind of existence that is understood to be temporary. The fact that English forces its users to stick to one mode of existence actually makes it less ambiguous than Spanish. A given sentence in Spanish is much more likely to have two or more equally legitimate interpretations. Spanish forces you to pay attention to context clues more often. In English, if you begin your discourse by simply saying "English is lame and peculiar" without any context, a reader is essentially forced to interpret your sentence as meaning, "English is lame and peculiar and it isn't not lame or unpeculiar." The fact that there is only one mode of existence results in automatically Boolean interpretations of assertions. This makes the process of communicating specific ideas which are not intended to be "open to interpretation" much faster.

Quote:

There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

I have already addressed this.

Quote:

There are numerous ways to interpret a statement; and we do trust that our ideas are correct sometimes, but that does not mean there are no such things as incorrect interpretations. If a speaker intends a specific interpretation which is not realized, the interpreter has incorrectly interpreted what the speaker intended. Keep in mind that sometimes speakers (more often writers) say things that are intentionally ambiguous for stylistic purposes.

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Something about how our acceptance of interpretations allows us to escape accountability. Not sure about the second part at all.

Quote:

Yes, you are correct. On the other hand, German lacks the versatility of English. Could it be a good thing that nouns are gender neutral? After all, why should nouns have genders? Some of the rules of German that limit its versatility are the result of trying maintain consistency in gender agreement.

Quote:

English is still less ambiguous than most languages. Part of the reason Spanish speaking countries suffer from judicial systems that don't enforce existing laws is that the Spanish language is inherently open to a greater amount of interpretation than English, giving courts the leeway to essentially ignore the spirit of the law as it is obviously intended. Count yourself lucky to be in America, where at least you can argue your way out of jail. Again, persuasion is more difficult in languages with multiple modes of existence.

Quote:

I believe I have an inkling.

Quote:

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island...

You are not alone. People are often like chameleons. You might be surprised what others actually realize because of what they say. They are just as frustrated with language as you are, and so will oftentimes not put in the effort the express themselves as clearly as they could.

I hope you aren't too offended by my post or whatever. I actually wanted to talk about this, not have a shit-throwing contest.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511027 - 12/13/11 02:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

If you insist.
Quote:

We have such a strange language.

In the grand scheme of languages, English is relatively un-strange. Strange, of course, remains to be defined, but as someone who is familiar with a number of different languages I feel comfortable rejecting your asserting that English is "such a strange language."

Quote:

To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue.

I agree. People tend to think in words these days, and that is very important. It is hard to have a thought in anything other than words once it becomes possible to do so, because words are the most effective medium of thought, since they can be shared between individuals. Keep in mind that up until the last millenium it was uncommon for people to read silently. Anytime something was read, it was read out loud. When people originally began to read silently, they were thought of as being very odd. It is very likely that in the past, people thought in language to much lesser extent than they do today. Perhaps this implies they thought less in general.

Quote:

And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame

Very well.

Quote:

in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

It seems like you are trying to say that because some people have larger vocabularies than others, their thoughts are actually richer, and that someone with poor thinking can never hope to truly understand someone with rich thinking; while people with rich thinking can approximate what is like to have poor thinking, as everyone has at some point had to learn to think in words.

Quote:

Alright.

Quote:

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous.

How so? English is one of the few languages where there is only one mode of existence, which we modulate using the verb "to be". You say you are familiar with Spanish; note that in spanish there are two modes of existence with two corresponding verbs: ser and estar. Ser implies a kind of existence that is fixed, while estar implies a kind of existence that is understood to be temporary. The fact that English forces its users to stick to one mode of existence actually makes it less ambiguous than Spanish. A given sentence in Spanish is much more likely to have two or more equally legitimate interpretations. Spanish forces you to pay attention to context clues more often. In English, if you begin your discourse by simply saying "English is lame and peculiar" without any context, a reader is essentially forced to interpret your sentence as meaning, "English is lame and peculiar and it isn't not lame or unpeculiar." The fact that there is only one mode of existence results in automatically Boolean interpretations of assertions. This makes the process of communicating specific ideas which are not intended to be "open to interpretation" much faster.

Quote:

There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

I have already addressed this.

Quote:

There are numerous ways to interpret a statement; and we do trust that our ideas are correct sometimes, but that does not mean there are no such things as incorrect interpretations. If a speaker intends a specific interpretation which is not realized, the interpreter has incorrectly interpreted what the speaker intended. Keep in mind that sometimes speakers (more often writers) say things that are intentionally ambiguous for stylistic purposes.

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Something about how our acceptance of interpretations allows us to escape accountability. Not sure about the second part at all.

Quote:

Yes, you are correct. On the other hand, German lacks the versatility of English. Could it be a good thing that nouns are gender neutral? After all, why should nouns have genders? Some of the rules of German that limit its versatility are the result of trying maintain consistency in gender agreement.

Quote:

English is still less ambiguous than most languages. Part of the reason Spanish speaking countries suffer from judicial systems that don't enforce existing laws is that the Spanish language is inherently open to a greater amount of interpretation than English, giving courts the leeway to essentially ignore the spirit of the law as it is obviously intended. Count yourself lucky to be in America, where at least you can argue your way out of jail. Again, persuasion is more difficult in languages with multiple modes of existence.

Quote:

I believe I have an inkling.

Quote:

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island...

You are not alone. People are often like chameleons. You might be surprised what others actually realize because of what they say. They are just as frustrated with language as you are, and so will oftentimes not put in the effort the express themselves as clearly as they could.

I hope you aren't too offended by my post or whatever. I actually wanted to talk about this, not have a shit-throwing contest.

Legit reply morrow, I enjoyed reading that. I think what you said in the end of your post there essentially summarizes a great deal of my anxiety with the world, people disrespect the process of communicating by being so rushed, so hurried, that they do not expect that they have to respect the process and give it time and attention to attain clarity. Instead they run around putting in essentially what seems to be the bare minimum and expect you to infer exactly what they could mean.

And you are right I believe that English is a very either/or language, but it can be a very complex process as words navigate our byzantine conduits of experience and understandings to finally arrive at our judgments - from here, one can choose to further clarify what was said and get to a very precise understanding, or one can choose to assume they understood the gist of it and build the conversation from there. Thus the kinetic linking of words and ideas can form an entirely new understanding that the two parties hold as self evident and true, without doing the work of breaking it back down into individual components and analyzing our relationships to those ideas and their truth or lack thereof.

This is my trouble with it. And so, lately I have just decided to opt for clarity, I will fully investigate each interaction so that I may completely understand our unique positions. Nothing else could seem as important to the business of a rational human being in my opinion.

With respect to German, I never understood why they had gender nouns, but it seemed to be a longer hand form of our simpler ability to build plurals of concepts by streamlining the process with which nouns were modified. We of course naturally improved on this I suppose and tossed out the idea of gender at all. But I wonder if that makes for a more androgynous language? Or maybe the idea of "gender" in their language was just function of being able to make nouns and ideas plural with a easy sort of system and has really no bearing on gender roles or concepts whatsoever.

See this article is getting at what I'm saying, talking about the reflection in the language between boy things and girl things.

Biological vs. Grammatical Gender

While gender can refer to biological sex, it more generally refers to different categories of items. Many masculine items, such as men and boys have masculine gender, and similarly many feminine items, such as women, have feminine gender in German.

der Mann
    der Junge
    die Frau

However, many nouns, which would logically have either masculine or feminine gender in real life have neuter grammatical gender. For example, the German word for girl -- Mädchen -- has neuter gender. The reason for this is clear, as the word Mädchen is a combination of Magd (maid) and the diminutive suffix -chen (little), so that a girl is a little maid in German. Furthermore, all words ending in -chen are neuter, so Mädchen is neuter. Finally, all nouns have gender in German, even though there is nothing particularly "gendered" about the concept. Why should cheese be masculine and a leg neuter?

Gender is not universal across languages, either. Some words which are feminine in English are neuter or masculine in German, and some words which are masculine in German are feminine in other European languages. Let us consider the following examples:

das Schiff
    the ship -- notice that we often refer to ships as feminine objects in English.
die Sonne
    the sun -- note that the "sun" is often masculine in other european languages, such as the Romance languages.
der Mond
    the moon -- the sun is feminine, and the moon is masculine in German, which is just the opposite of many European languages; compare with "la luna".

For this reason, one must memorize the gender of each noun when learning that noun. Luckily, the biological gender of an item (person or animal) usually agrees with its grammatical gender. Certain categories of nouns all have the same gender. For example, all nouns made from verb infinitives are neuter; all nouns ending in -heit, keit or -ung are feminine, etc. Finally, in a compound noun, the final part of the compound determines noun gender. So, since Haus is neuter, Rathaus, Kaufhaus, and Krankenhaus are also neuter.

source - http://www.skrause.org/webdesign/handson/secondpage.htm

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:45 PM)

Invisiblenglsnv
Becoming
Male User Gallery

#15511130 - 12/13/11 03:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

english is a perfectly capable language. read more.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15511210 - 12/13/11 03:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"ineffable" is a word in the English language, but I guess you cleverly left a loophole with
"just about," anyways.

There's no way I could describe an acid trip.  It's easy to describe a moment here or there, but to describe the weight of the experience is not possible if you ask me.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #15511225 - 12/13/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's a language where you constantly blame others

for example if I would drop a glass you would say why did YOU drop that glass whilst in other languages the situation is explained instead of blaming the person.

assholes stop blaming me :kingcrankey:

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511245 - 12/13/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I think what you said in the end of your post there essentially summarizes a great deal of my anxiety with the world, people disrespect the process of communicating by being so rushed, so hurried, that they do not expect that they have to respect the process and give it time and attention to attain clarity. Instead they run around putting in essentially what seems to be the bare minimum and expect you to infer exactly what they could mean.

Yes, people transition through various modes of communication without consciously accounting for it. Sometimes they are communicating simply to enjoy themselves; other times, they are using communication as a tool to further understanding. When someone who is simply trying to enjoy themselves tries to communicate with someone who is actively using communication as tool to further their understanding of something, a variety of miscommunication results. Not from problems with the way things get interpreted, but from the fact that neither one is getting out of the communication what they intend to, and they blame the miscommunication on one another. In fact, they are in a way both right.

Quote:

And you are right I believe that English is a very either/or language, but it can be a very complex process as words navigate our byzantine conduits of experience and understandings to finally arrive at our judgments - from here, one can choose to further clarify what was said and get to a very precise understanding, or one can choose to assume they understood the gist of it and build the conversation from there. Thus the kinetic linking of words and ideas can form an entirely new understanding that the two parties hold as self evident and true, without doing the work of breaking it back down into individual components and analyzing our relationships to those ideas and their truth or lack thereof.

People rarely engage in critical self-evaluation unless they are presented with a compelling reason to. Knowledge, as people understand it, is a type of functional memory; that is, the ability the use one's memories in experientially shared ways. Entities, human or otherwise, seek knowledge to the extent that it seems beneficial to them; otherwise it is superfluous: "Once and for all, there is a great deal I do not want to know" (Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols). Very little significance will come out of any interaction between someone who is actively seeking knowledge and someone who is merely interacting for the sake of interacting (or whatever other reason).

Quote:

With respect to German, I never understood why they had gender nouns, but it seemed to be a longer hand form of our simpler ability to build plurals of concepts by streamlining the process with which nouns were modified. We of course naturally improved on this I suppose and tossed out the idea of gender at all. But I wonder if that makes for a more androgynous language? Or maybe the idea of "gender" in their language was just function of being able to make nouns and ideas plural with a easy sort of system and has really no bearing on gender roles or concepts whatsoever.

etc..

I do believe English is more androgynous than German, Spanish, etc. And I believe this is a good thing. For one, it makes English easier to learn (in that way), because there is no need to memorize the articles. For two, it dissociates things from genders, which makes sense, because things do not have genders. Only people have genders. Even animals do not have genders; only sexes.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15511259 - 12/13/11 03:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"ineffable" is a word in the English language, but I guess you cleverly left a loophole with
"just about," anyways.

There's no way I could describe an acid trip.  It's easy to describe a moment here or there, but to describe the weight of the experience is not possible if you ask me.

could you describe an acid trip in spanish any easier?

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Beanhead]
    #15511262 - 12/13/11 03:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
It's a language where you constantly blame others

for example if I would drop a glass you would say why did YOU drop that glass whilst in other languages the situation is explained instead of blaming the person.

assholes stop blaming me :kingcrankey:

This is exactly what I mean. We don't describe things as a situational - "that" happened, we are always relating it back to ourselves or others, and that is so myopic, so nearsighted to me it seems. This task of constantly assigning blame and praise. It's fucking lame.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15511279 - 12/13/11 03:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"just about," anyways.

No, that wasn't even what I meant.  I was talking off-point since I really don't have anything to add to this conversation.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511288 - 12/13/11 03:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Anthony said:
Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"just about," anyways.

No, that wasn't even what I meant.  I was talking off-point since I really don't have anything to add to this conversation.

:rofl:

what I believe abltsandwich is saying that you could not really describe an acid trip accurately with language, period.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15511289 - 12/13/11 03:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well I agree that some things are beyond all explanation, no matter how you try and put it in words, it can't be done.

Still, I can't fathom any better of a way to go about it than the way we already do

--------------------

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511313 - 12/13/11 03:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

OP, if you are interested in this subject, which you seem to be, you will find the following books relevant to your interests:

Quote:

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (commonly GEB) is a book by Douglas Hofstadter, described by his publishing company as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll".[1]
On its surface, GEB examines logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher and composer Johann Sebastian Bach, discussing common themes in their work and lives. At a deeper level, the book is an exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence.
Through illustration and analysis, the book discusses how self-reference and formal rules allow systems to acquire meaning despite being made of "meaningless" elements. It also discusses what it means to communicate, how knowledge can be represented and stored, the methods and limitations of symbolic representation, and even the fundamental notion of "meaning" itself.
In response to confusion over the book's theme, Hofstadter has emphasized that GEB is not about mathematics, art, and music but rather about how cognition and thinking emerge from well-hidden neurological mechanisms

Quote:

Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought is a 1995 book by Douglas Hofstadter and other members of the Fluid Analogies Research Group exploring the mechanisms of intelligence through computer modeling. It contends that the notions of analogy and fluidity are fundamental to explain how the human mind solves problems and to create computer programs that show intelligent behavior. It analyzes several computer programs that members of the group have created over the years to solve problems that require intelligence.

Quote:

Le Ton beau de Marot: In Praise of the Music of Language (ISBN 0-465-08645-4), published by Basic Books in 1997, is a book by Douglas Hofstadter in which he explores the meaning, strengths, failings, and beauty of translation.

At the surface level, the book treats the difficulties and rewards of translating works (particularly poetry) from one language to another. Diverse translations (usually to English) of a short poem in Renaissance French, Clément Marot's A une Damoyselle malade (referred to as ‘Ma mignonne’ by Hofstadter), serve as reference points for his ideas on the subject. Groups of translations alternate with analysis and commentary on the same throughout the book. However, Hofstadter's reading of the idea of ‘translation’ goes deeper than simply that of translating between languages. Translation between frames of reference — languages, cultures, modes of expression, or indeed between one person's thoughts and another — becomes an element in many of the same concepts Hofstadter has addressed in prior works, such as reference and self-reference, structure and function, and artificial intelligence.

:rocket::jellyfish::rocket:

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#15511317 - 12/13/11 03:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

And for all the German haters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

atleast they can describe that in one word
:happyweed:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511327 - 12/13/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

I think what you said in the end of your post there essentially summarizes a great deal of my anxiety with the world, people disrespect the process of communicating by being so rushed, so hurried, that they do not expect that they have to respect the process and give it time and attention to attain clarity. Instead they run around putting in essentially what seems to be the bare minimum and expect you to infer exactly what they could mean.

Yes, people transition through various modes of communication without consciously accounting for it. Sometimes they are communicating simply to enjoy themselves; other times, they are using communication as a tool to further understanding. When someone who is simply trying to enjoy themselves tries to communicate with someone who is actively using communication as tool to further their understanding of something, a variety of miscommunication results. Not from problems with the way things get interpreted, but from the fact that neither one is getting out of the communication what they intend to, and they blame the miscommunication on one another. In fact, they are in a way both right.

Quote:

People rarely engage in critical self-evaluation unless they are presented with a compelling reason to. Knowledge, as people understand it, is a type of functional memory; that is, the ability the use one's memories in experientially shared ways. Entities, human or otherwise, seek knowledge to the extent that it seems beneficial to them; otherwise it is superfluous: "Once and for all, there is a great deal I do not want to know" (Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols). Very little significance will come out of any interaction between someone who is actively seeking knowledge and someone who is merely interacting for the sake of interacting (or whatever other reason).

Quote:

etc..

I do believe English is more androgynous than German, Spanish, etc. And I believe this is a good thing. For one, it makes English easier to learn (in that way), because there is no need to memorize the articles. For two, it dissociates things from genders, which makes sense, because things do not have genders. Only people have genders. Even animals do not have genders; only sexes.

Perhaps this can account for the herd effect people seem to tend to have. They would rather export the responsibility for their thinking to others to absorb any criticism for their actions.

Why does it make sense to dissociate things from genders? Are there no gender norms to you? Is a mans place sewing, and a womans place hunting? This is pretty key I believe as the way we view the world and its designations reflects how we view our role in it. I for one love a world where women do not compete with men in realms of manliness, and where men do not compete with women in realms of womanhood.

Metrosexuals? Butch women? Come on...

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511332 - 12/13/11 03:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness, pronounced [ˈvɛltʃmɛɐ̯ts]) is a term coined by the German author Jean Paul and denotes the kind of feeling experienced by someone who understands that physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind.

Understands ought to read believes, in my opinion.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#15511343 - 12/13/11 03:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness, pronounced [ˈvɛltʃmɛɐ̯ts]) is a term coined by the German author Jean Paul and denotes the kind of feeling experienced by someone who understands that physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind.

English is giving me a hard time right now

I don't understand that sentence :strokebeard:

translates to gibberish if I think in Dutch or French :lol:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511344 - 12/13/11 03:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

Maybe it cannot satisfy the demands of the conditioned mind. That part you wrote about how people used to always read aloud sticks out, if they had no continuous inner monologue, there was no measure by which the exterior world was NOT conforming to their "mind" - so they were probably content to be blissfully ignorant.

In this modern information age society where bums know the system is rigged, there is greater room for disgruntlement.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511353 - 12/13/11 03:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Why does it make sense to dissociate things from genders? Are there no gender norms to you? Is a mans place sewing, and a womans place hunting? This is pretty key I believe as the way we view the world and its designations reflects how we view our role in it. I for one love a world where women do not compete with men in realms of manliness, and where men do not compete with women in realms of womanhood.

I personally have enjoyed the freedom to pursue activities that are not normally associated with masculinity while preserving my masculine identity. As a straight male, I value the fact that I know how to sew, because it is useful knowledge. I believe that today's society is decreasingly reflective of gender roles, and I don't see why that is a problem. My understanding of the brain leads me to believe that those of women are essentially the same as those of men, and my understanding of history leads me to believe that gender roles have precluded men and women from pursuing what would have actually suited them best because of their preconceptions about gender roles.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511360 - 12/13/11 03:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

English is giving me a hard time right now

I don't understand that sentence :strokebeard:

translates to gibberish if I think in Dutch or French :lol:

The word "understands" in the definition of Weltschmerz ought to be "believes" instead.

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

#15511381 - 12/13/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
well I agree that some things are beyond all explanation, no matter how you try and put it in words, it can't be done.

Still, I can't fathom any better of a way to go about it than the way we already do

The only way to do that would be to record thoughts on a paper and capture video through your own eyes. I'm sure something along these lines isn't too far down the road. I give it 15 years or so. Quite frankly, I'd be a bit embarrassed for some of the things that pop out of my psyche during a trip to be put on paper.

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Perhaps this can account for the herd effect people seem to tend to have. They would rather export the responsibility for their thinking to others to absorb any criticism for their actions.

Metrosexuals? Butch women? Come on...

I think you're on to something with the first part. No one wants to take the blame, so saying I don't know, or better yet throwing the blame on someone else is an excellent cop out.

Gender association has always ground my gears. Some associations were within the realm of reason, while others seemed superfluous as though some scholar was late for a date and just started throwing noun and gender together at random. On top of that, I dislike that an entire ethnicity is influenced so much by their respective language. There are many things that really just shouldn't be assigned a gender, and doing so can't possibly do anything but pervert a person's reasoning towards that object. Genderal roles shouldn't be determined by archaic values, which is what seems to be forced when you are taught to attach a gender to an object since birth.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511383 - 12/13/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

I personally have enjoyed the freedom to pursue activities that are not normally associated with masculinity while preserving my masculine identity. As a straight male, I value the fact that I know how to sew, because it is useful knowledge. I believe that today's society is decreasingly reflective of gender roles, and I don't see why that is a problem. My understanding of the brain leads me to believe that those of women are essentially the same as those of men, and my understanding of history leads me to believe that gender roles have precluded men and women from pursuing what would have actually suited them best because of their preconceptions about gender roles.

I agree that we shouldn't be precluded from activities designated as the "gender norm", and I as a straight male do sew, cook, clean, etc. But does this not tip the scales of what is biologically inherent (and I don't mean mentally, I mean physically) against nature? Men are by nature taller, faster, stronger, their physical superiors. I realize we aren't hunter gatherers in the presence of the modern age and it's technical wizardry, but we are making a critical mistake in my opinion. The assumption that electricity will always exist. That periods of darkness will never occur. For if electricity was lost for even a relatively short period of time, the surrogate realities many of us lead would instantly disintegrate and newer more pragmatic relationships with our work and world would emerge.

That is the essence of tradition, I believe. It may not be progressive and idealistic, but it's what works. And works pretty damn well in my opinion. To quote something a wise man said to me once, "the reason a woman is obedient to a man (in marriage) is so that the man will WILLINGLY lay his life down for her to protect her" - because this concept (cough, LOYALTY!!!!) is being ignored, in my opinion, is the reason for so much distress in this country (extremely high divorce rates, low relationship satisfaction, lots of cheating, etc.).

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 04:12 PM)

Offlinelimestoneman
The Return
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle TN Flag
    #15511385 - 12/13/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Cracula said:

Then you really aren't adding to the discussion and should refrain from posting irrelevant warble warble.

Honestly this is the kind of crap that gets to me. I try to make a concise thread, it's not that fucking long. Typical american turd, your fucking 5 second attention span. :tard:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: limestoneman]
    #15511396 - 12/13/11 04:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

limestoneman said:
Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Cracula said:

ok. and I'm american. so...britain?

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511424 - 12/13/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
OP, if you are interested in this subject, which you seem to be, you will find the following books relevant to your interests:

Quote:

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (commonly GEB) is a book by Douglas Hofstadter, described by his publishing company as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll".[1]
On its surface, GEB examines logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher and composer Johann Sebastian Bach, discussing common themes in their work and lives. At a deeper level, the book is an exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence.
Through illustration and analysis, the book discusses how self-reference and formal rules allow systems to acquire meaning despite being made of "meaningless" elements. It also discusses what it means to communicate, how knowledge can be represented and stored, the methods and limitations of symbolic representation, and even the fundamental notion of "meaning" itself.
In response to confusion over the book's theme, Hofstadter has emphasized that GEB is not about mathematics, art, and music but rather about how cognition and thinking emerge from well-hidden neurological mechanisms

Quote:

Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought is a 1995 book by Douglas Hofstadter and other members of the Fluid Analogies Research Group exploring the mechanisms of intelligence through computer modeling. It contends that the notions of analogy and fluidity are fundamental to explain how the human mind solves problems and to create computer programs that show intelligent behavior. It analyzes several computer programs that members of the group have created over the years to solve problems that require intelligence.

Quote:

Le Ton beau de Marot: In Praise of the Music of Language (ISBN 0-465-08645-4), published by Basic Books in 1997, is a book by Douglas Hofstadter in which he explores the meaning, strengths, failings, and beauty of translation.

At the surface level, the book treats the difficulties and rewards of translating works (particularly poetry) from one language to another. Diverse translations (usually to English) of a short poem in Renaissance French, Clément Marot's A une Damoyselle malade (referred to as ‘Ma mignonne’ by Hofstadter), serve as reference points for his ideas on the subject. Groups of translations alternate with analysis and commentary on the same throughout the book. However, Hofstadter's reading of the idea of ‘translation’ goes deeper than simply that of translating between languages. Translation between frames of reference — languages, cultures, modes of expression, or indeed between one person's thoughts and another — becomes an element in many of the same concepts Hofstadter has addressed in prior works, such as reference and self-reference, structure and function, and artificial intelligence.

:rocket::jellyfish::rocket:

damn good recommendations, that last book regarding the "translation" is exactly the process I'm fascinated with. How do you contain "me" in as succinct and meaning packed way as possible.

:strokebeard:

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#15511437 - 12/13/11 04:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ah yes

Wikipedia :shrug:

From English to gender roles, shame that I missed six pages of worth. Gender is but what you make of it :shrug:

Plenty of women that joined the army and plenty of men that passed through life as feminine looking, our senses are so easily tricked especially because we tend to believe them. Genderfucks are awesome, I respect manly mans with a beard in a dress. Always being told what to do:rolleyes: decide for yourself. How do we judge people by a stupid piece of fabric they are wearing or which emotions they decide to express? WTF

And in the end all languages are but a trivial expression of yourself. All the information I am supplying you with now with these written words are essentially meaningless because you don't know which thoughts, memories, associations, experiences are tied to it. Sure we have a general definition and consensus of the word but what if the meaning is otherwise?

We're constantly fishing for exformation :wtfsonic:

I hope this made a little bit of sense...

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511446 - 12/13/11 04:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Responding to your electronic entries would be a less Herculean task for myself and more plebeian, less fain Shroomerites if you employed more credulous verbiage...

No offense, dude. Just sayin'. On the one hand, you are talking about the problematic nature of people not being as direct, clear, and effective as possible when the communicate; on the other hand, you are using words that are not only unlikely to be understood by any reader lacking a dictionary, but also to make your reader think you are putting more effort into impressing them or achieving some status quo than in communicating effectively.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511455 - 12/13/11 04:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
Ah yes

Wikipedia :shrug:

From English to gender roles, shame that I missed six pages of worth. Gender is but what you make of it :shrug:

Plenty of women that joined the army and plenty of men that passed through life as feminine looking, our senses are so easily tricked especially because we tend to believe them. Genderfucks are awesome, I respect manly mans with a beard in a dress. Always being told what to do:rolleyes: decide for yourself. How do we judge people by a stupid piece of fabric they are wearing or which emotions they decide to express? WTF

And in the end all languages are but a trivial expression of yourself. All the information I am supplying you with now with these written words are essentially meaningless because you don't know which thoughts, memories, associations, experiences are tied to it. Sure we have a general definition and consensus of the word but what if the meaning is otherwise?

We're constantly fishing for exformation :wtfsonic:

I hope this made a little bit of sense...

It made perfect sense, in a didn't make any sense kind of way.

I get it! I don't get it! Therefore, I get it!

This is what I mean with the unreality of the simulated lives people live, there is so little room for REAL connections and communication to transpire because we are all becoming introverted shut ins that dare only peep what we really think through some anonymous shitwagonmedium like facebook or twitter. Fuckatwitter.

I think most straight men WOULD decide for themselves, not off of my babble, that it feels right to be the lead, be the strong one, be the protector, etc. But of course behind every strong man is a strong woman. And he must be strong enough to know this.

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 04:16 PM)

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511469 - 12/13/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Responding to your electronic entries would be a less Herculean task for myself and more plebeian, less fain Shroomerites if you employed more credulous verbiage...

No offense, dude. Just sayin'. On the one hand, you are talking about the problematic nature of people not being as direct, clear, and effective as possible when the communicate; on the other hand, you are using words that are not only unlikely to be understood by any reader lacking a dictionary, but also to make your reader think you are putting more effort into impressing them or achieving some status quo than in communicating effectively.

That is your opinion. I write for the sake of brevity and clarity, the extent of which that is achieved is a measure of the audience's faculties.

They have the fucking internet at their fingertips for crying out loud. If they want to understand, they'll make the effort to. A teacher isn't going to hold up an entire lecture because one student is tripping up over one word and won't bother to educate himself.

Believe it or not, this is no small departure from how I think or speak everyday. If you think this is about hubris and trying to appear intelligent to strangers, you're really, really reaching.

And if you are remarking that simpler is better, I agree. But sometimes there is no simpler reduction of a precise word or concept, and so I will not dilute my intended meaning simply to appeal to the layman.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. (he carves a "V" into a sign) The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. (giggles) Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 04:22 PM)

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

#15511476 - 12/13/11 04:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The vocabulary of my thought is richer than that of my speech, in most cases.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511495 - 12/13/11 04:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
The vocabulary of my thought is richer than that of my speech, in most cases.

That is a solid quote. That's generally why I opt for silence. The silence is golden.

But here on the shroomery, where we can be somewhat liberated to participate voluntarily, many different modular personas can come forward and contribute many silly things.

:vibin:

Oh and I'd give you 5 shrooms but I opted out. Just feels like elementary school gossip sometimes.

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

#15511497 - 12/13/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

What's the point of pondering on something if you can't express it to those who would find your thoughts insightful?

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#15511498 - 12/13/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. (he carves a "V" into a sign) The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. (giggles) Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Yeah that was really vulgar reading that :lol:

Sounds beautiful though:blush:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511508 - 12/13/11 04:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
What's the point of pondering on something if you can't express it to those who would find your thoughts insightful?

Because of some type of self defense mechanism, fear of criticism or alienation..

I've alienated many people. They want their certainty, dialogue with me undermines it and causes them to re-examine long held beliefs. People get TIRED of doing this, and see anyone attempting to be genuine and reflecting in this manner as a crazy dipshit basically.

At least..that's my observation of it.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15511514 - 12/13/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. (he carves a "V" into a sign) The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. (giggles) Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Yeah that was really vulgar reading that :lol:

Sounds beautiful though:blush:

Yeah, V is a badass. Poetry in motion

OfflineVsnares.Zappa
bend over

#15512133 - 12/13/11 06:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
then you shouldn't bother answering or asking any questions and just say "i agree".

it be a whole lot easier.

I shall do whatever I want :beardhat:

Offlineakira_akuma

#15512158 - 12/13/11 06:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

oh i was just makin sure you understood the terms of engagement.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag