Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: morrowasted]
    #15510618 - 12/13/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I did read your post actually, and I consciously decided not to directly address some of what you said because, quite frankly, much of it is completely misguided and wrong; but I had a feeling about where you were going with it and wanted to talk about that instead. If you want me to directly address the OP, I will.

Elaborate on what's "wrong" with my subjective opinion, please.

If people here were interested in a well thought out and coherent post, I'd deliver it, but quite frankly, it's the fucking pub, and most posts that require thought or sincere effort are shat on by dipshits that write sarcastic shit to troll and pat themselves on the back about how ultra clever they are. So I shotgun a post and don't worry when I get those exact kind of asshats posting in my thread, but am grateful for the few that actual grasp at what the fuck I'm trying to convey.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Anthony]
    #15510631 - 12/13/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
lol do you realize how petty you sound?

"Oh you have something to say to me? Well I'm not listening!HA!"

what, are you in 3rd grade?

Yeah, it's the internet. I don't care if you don't feel coddled :shrug::curbyourenthusiasm:

OfflineVsnares.Zappa
bend over

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: SOLID BASTARD]
    #15510640 - 12/13/11 01:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with the original post but the rest of this thread is just  :hulk:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

InvisibleSOLID BASTARD
Hella Vampires

Loc: 127.0.0.1
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: SOLID BASTARD] * 1
    #15510645 - 12/13/11 01:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

After reading the whole goddamn post, I still stand by my response. I'd like to add that you're harshing on the wrong problem. Your real complaint is human nature, not the hidden underhandedness of a language; languages have no intents as they're inanimate and are only here to serve the purposes of man. Your problem with English is that it's versatile enough to allow for people to be deceitful in their speech, instead of reserving guilefulness to the realm of actions.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: Vsnares.Zappa] * 1
    #15510650 - 12/13/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

then you shouldn't bother answering or asking any questions and just say "i agree".

it be a whole lot easier.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

Loc: earth
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: blkjkrabbit]
    #15510651 - 12/13/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blkjkrabbit said:
Quote:

Anthony said:
lol do you realize how petty you sound?

"Oh you have something to say to me? Well I'm not listening!HA!"

what, are you in 3rd grade?

Yeah, it's the internet. I don't care if you don't feel coddled :shrug::curbyourenthusiasm:

Coddled? by....who? wtf are you talking about bro?

If you didn't want other peoples opinions, why did you make the post in the first place?

--------------------
Trippin? Click Me...... Me too!

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: SOLID BASTARD]
    #15510678 - 12/13/11 01:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cutless said:
After reading the whole goddamn post, I still stand by my response. I'd like to add that you're harshing on the wrong problem. Your real complaint is human nature, not the hidden underhandedness of a language; languages have no intents as they're inanimate and are only here to serve the purposes of man. Your problem with English is that it's versatile enough to allow for people to be deceitful in their speech, instead of reserving guilefulness to the realm of actions.

Yes, basically. It's its capability as a vehicle for deceit. It seems like a language strictly for merchants. Our metaphysical realm consequently to me seems jam PACKED with deceit.

I also remember reading something about ancient languages like Phoenician where the pronunciation of words induced cavitation in certain parts of your brain, like this harmonic frequency of vibration that sort of served as some healing aspect of the act of communicating.. The source was questionable though, but I just have to wonder if other older native languages have some powerful elements in them we lack.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510691 - 12/13/11 01:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

unlikely. i actually think the english language is pretty capable of describing just about anything with as accurate of detail as you could want.

is it not?

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510697 - 12/13/11 01:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:awedance:
Regarding ancient languages..

The third point is this: by studying the roots of today’s modern languages, it becomes easier for people to see the likenesses between them, and picking up a new modern language becomes less difficult.  “Students who have studied Latin go on to learn other languages like French, Spanish or Italian so much more easily,” says a high school Latin teacher (Rawlings).  And since the English language, too, comes from ancient languages, many of their words are still part of it.  With only a vague knowledge of the ancient tongues, it is easy to pronounce the different-sounding words in a wrong way or misuse them in a sentence.

source - http://department.monm.edu/classics/cpl/PromotionalMaterials/Tagliabule.htm

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 01:37 PM)

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

#15510743 - 12/13/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
unlikely. i actually think the english language is pretty capable of describing just about anything with as accurate of detail as you could want.

is it not?

It is capable, but that capacity is often undermined for the sake of brevity in our time crunched world.

If time = money, and your money is being diluted via inflation, then consequently your time will be rushed as expenses are fixed or rising and your effectively becoming poorer by the day - ALL things in the name of expediency and convenience here in the USA.

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#15510747 - 12/13/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Spanish is cool bc it feels like you are talking to the actual language to communicate.  English feels very monotone and dry but that's how it is.

Lol, why are people getting mad at shortening spellings of words??  Using symbols to communicate is still language.  A new language built off of our symbols just because we have technology is fucking incredible imo.

--------------------
★★

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

#15510750 - 12/13/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

that's quite a conclusion to draw simply from the complexity of our language.

--------------------

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: the human abstract]
    #15510789 - 12/13/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:
that's quite a conclusion to draw simply from the complexity of our language.

It's not just from the complexity of the language, it's the keepers of the word.

The persons that disseminate the messages that permeate through this society (media) are generally the main abusers of the language. Turn your radio on to some popular rap station, you'll see what I mean. Guns bitchez hos ridin 24s oh yeahh thug life I'm retarded.

Quote:

the human abstract said:
Spanish is cool bc it feels like you are talking to the actual language to communicate.  English feels very monotone and dry but that's how it is.

Lol, why are people getting mad at shortening spellings of words??  Using symbols to communicate is still language.  A new language built off of our symbols just because we have technology is fucking incredible imo.

It is interesting, I agree - the derivative languages we can make are endless. But for the purposes of unity, of social cohesion, of clarity and understanding, that mentality to me seems to fail miserably. There needs to be a sense of continuity. Not that there can't be room for normal human interpolation, adaptation, inference, what have you, but good lord, sometimes the abstract interactions that take place have me baffled...

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 01:52 PM)

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #15510944 - 12/13/11 02:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

If you insist.
Quote:

We have such a strange language.

In the grand scheme of languages, English is relatively un-strange. Strange, of course, remains to be defined, but as someone who is familiar with a number of different languages I feel comfortable rejecting your asserting that English is "such a strange language."

Quote:

To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue.

I agree. People tend to think in words these days, and that is very important. It is hard to have a thought in anything other than words once it becomes possible to do so, because words are the most effective medium of thought, since they can be shared between individuals. Keep in mind that up until the last millenium it was uncommon for people to read silently. Anytime something was read, it was read out loud. When people originally began to read silently, they were thought of as being very odd. It is very likely that in the past, people thought in language to much lesser extent than they do today. Perhaps this implies they thought less in general.

Quote:

And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame

Very well.

Quote:

in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

It seems like you are trying to say that because some people have larger vocabularies than others, their thoughts are actually richer, and that someone with poor thinking can never hope to truly understand someone with rich thinking; while people with rich thinking can approximate what is like to have poor thinking, as everyone has at some point had to learn to think in words.

Quote:

But beyond that are a myriad of other observations I've seen. Some I can explain or communicate in a way to you you may understand, others are just peculiar intuitions about concepts which I can only grasp at...

Alright.

Quote:

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous.

How so? English is one of the few languages where there is only one mode of existence, which we modulate using the verb "to be". You say you are familiar with Spanish; note that in spanish there are two modes of existence with two corresponding verbs: ser and estar. Ser implies a kind of existence that is fixed, while estar implies a kind of existence that is understood to be temporary. The fact that English forces its users to stick to one mode of existence actually makes it less ambiguous than Spanish. A given sentence in Spanish is much more likely to have two or more equally legitimate interpretations. Spanish forces you to pay attention to context clues more often. In English, if you begin your discourse by simply saying "English is lame and peculiar" without any context, a reader is essentially forced to interpret your sentence as meaning, "English is lame and peculiar and it isn't not lame or unpeculiar." The fact that there is only one mode of existence results in automatically Boolean interpretations of assertions. This makes the process of communicating specific ideas which are not intended to be "open to interpretation" much faster.

Quote:

There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

I have already addressed this.

Quote:

Thus in the variety of contexts in life we find ourselves in, there are invariably numerous ways to interpret a statement (was that sarcastic? what did that MEAN!?!). We simply GRASP that we have chosen the correct response, and have faith it was correct.

There are numerous ways to interpret a statement; and we do trust that our ideas are correct sometimes, but that does not mean there are no such things as incorrect interpretations. If a speaker intends a specific interpretation which is not realized, the interpreter has incorrectly interpreted what the speaker intended. Keep in mind that sometimes speakers (more often writers) say things that are intentionally ambiguous for stylistic purposes.

Quote:

This seems to me a very good aspect for those who do not wish to be accountable for what they say. And if you believe your word is your bond, that is a very strange place to live where ambiguity is the goal...

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Something about how our acceptance of interpretations allows us to escape accountability. Not sure about the second part at all.

Quote:

In Germany, they have very specific rules that apply throughout the language, with no loss of continuity. Nouns have genders, subject object verb, etc. etc. Very specific.

Yes, you are correct. On the other hand, German lacks the versatility of English. Could it be a good thing that nouns are gender neutral? After all, why should nouns have genders? Some of the rules of German that limit its versatility are the result of trying maintain consistency in gender agreement.

Quote:

English on the other hand, in my experience with the nature of the legal and the corporate world, seems to be a language of legal ambiguity. Definitions seemingly suited to be distorted the moment they come under intense scrutiny.

English is still less ambiguous than most languages. Part of the reason Spanish speaking countries suffer from judicial systems that don't enforce existing laws is that the Spanish language is inherently open to a greater amount of interpretation than English, giving courts the leeway to essentially ignore the spirit of the law as it is obviously intended. Count yourself lucky to be in America, where at least you can argue your way out of jail. Again, persuasion is more difficult in languages with multiple modes of existence.

Quote:

Agh. This is strange to explain. Does anyone have an inkling of what I am attempting to convey?

I believe I have an inkling.

Quote:

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island...

You are not alone. People are often like chameleons. You might be surprised what others actually realize because of what they say. They are just as frustrated with language as you are, and so will oftentimes not put in the effort the express themselves as clearly as they could.

I hope you aren't too offended by my post or whatever. I actually wanted to talk about this, not have a shit-throwing contest.

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: morrowasted]
    #15511027 - 12/13/11 02:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

If you insist.
Quote:

We have such a strange language.

In the grand scheme of languages, English is relatively un-strange. Strange, of course, remains to be defined, but as someone who is familiar with a number of different languages I feel comfortable rejecting your asserting that English is "such a strange language."

Quote:

To me, a large part of the basis of our consciousness is relating our mind to our surroundings using concepts, words, ideas, via our inner monologue.

I agree. People tend to think in words these days, and that is very important. It is hard to have a thought in anything other than words once it becomes possible to do so, because words are the most effective medium of thought, since they can be shared between individuals. Keep in mind that up until the last millenium it was uncommon for people to read silently. Anytime something was read, it was read out loud. When people originally began to read silently, they were thought of as being very odd. It is very likely that in the past, people thought in language to much lesser extent than they do today. Perhaps this implies they thought less in general.

Quote:

And it occurred to me long ago but the ramifications are still being digested that, our language is extremely lame

Very well.

Quote:

in many ways. Particularly in it's currently incarnated form, many people simply do not have the vocabularies/lexicons to view the world as richly as I feel these understandings and words/ideas paint it to be for someone like myself.

It seems like you are trying to say that because some people have larger vocabularies than others, their thoughts are actually richer, and that someone with poor thinking can never hope to truly understand someone with rich thinking; while people with rich thinking can approximate what is like to have poor thinking, as everyone has at some point had to learn to think in words.

Quote:

But beyond that are a myriad of other observations I've seen. Some I can explain or communicate in a way to you you may understand, others are just peculiar intuitions about concepts which I can only grasp at...

Alright.

Quote:

Our language is seemingly intentionally ambiguous.

How so? English is one of the few languages where there is only one mode of existence, which we modulate using the verb "to be". You say you are familiar with Spanish; note that in spanish there are two modes of existence with two corresponding verbs: ser and estar. Ser implies a kind of existence that is fixed, while estar implies a kind of existence that is understood to be temporary. The fact that English forces its users to stick to one mode of existence actually makes it less ambiguous than Spanish. A given sentence in Spanish is much more likely to have two or more equally legitimate interpretations. Spanish forces you to pay attention to context clues more often. In English, if you begin your discourse by simply saying "English is lame and peculiar" without any context, a reader is essentially forced to interpret your sentence as meaning, "English is lame and peculiar and it isn't not lame or unpeculiar." The fact that there is only one mode of existence results in automatically Boolean interpretations of assertions. This makes the process of communicating specific ideas which are not intended to be "open to interpretation" much faster.

Quote:

There are numerous homonyms, such as whether & weather, see & sea..etc. (There are also homophones, heteronyms, polysemes, and Capitonyms, just to emphasize my point..).

I have already addressed this.

Quote:

Thus in the variety of contexts in life we find ourselves in, there are invariably numerous ways to interpret a statement (was that sarcastic? what did that MEAN!?!). We simply GRASP that we have chosen the correct response, and have faith it was correct.

There are numerous ways to interpret a statement; and we do trust that our ideas are correct sometimes, but that does not mean there are no such things as incorrect interpretations. If a speaker intends a specific interpretation which is not realized, the interpreter has incorrectly interpreted what the speaker intended. Keep in mind that sometimes speakers (more often writers) say things that are intentionally ambiguous for stylistic purposes.

Quote:

This seems to me a very good aspect for those who do not wish to be accountable for what they say. And if you believe your word is your bond, that is a very strange place to live where ambiguity is the goal...

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. Something about how our acceptance of interpretations allows us to escape accountability. Not sure about the second part at all.

Quote:

In Germany, they have very specific rules that apply throughout the language, with no loss of continuity. Nouns have genders, subject object verb, etc. etc. Very specific.

Yes, you are correct. On the other hand, German lacks the versatility of English. Could it be a good thing that nouns are gender neutral? After all, why should nouns have genders? Some of the rules of German that limit its versatility are the result of trying maintain consistency in gender agreement.

Quote:

English on the other hand, in my experience with the nature of the legal and the corporate world, seems to be a language of legal ambiguity. Definitions seemingly suited to be distorted the moment they come under intense scrutiny.

English is still less ambiguous than most languages. Part of the reason Spanish speaking countries suffer from judicial systems that don't enforce existing laws is that the Spanish language is inherently open to a greater amount of interpretation than English, giving courts the leeway to essentially ignore the spirit of the law as it is obviously intended. Count yourself lucky to be in America, where at least you can argue your way out of jail. Again, persuasion is more difficult in languages with multiple modes of existence.

Quote:

Agh. This is strange to explain. Does anyone have an inkling of what I am attempting to convey?

I believe I have an inkling.

Quote:

It feels like being an island of reason in an ocean of insanity. And as they say, no man is an island...

You are not alone. People are often like chameleons. You might be surprised what others actually realize because of what they say. They are just as frustrated with language as you are, and so will oftentimes not put in the effort the express themselves as clearly as they could.

I hope you aren't too offended by my post or whatever. I actually wanted to talk about this, not have a shit-throwing contest.

Legit reply morrow, I enjoyed reading that. I think what you said in the end of your post there essentially summarizes a great deal of my anxiety with the world, people disrespect the process of communicating by being so rushed, so hurried, that they do not expect that they have to respect the process and give it time and attention to attain clarity. Instead they run around putting in essentially what seems to be the bare minimum and expect you to infer exactly what they could mean.

And you are right I believe that English is a very either/or language, but it can be a very complex process as words navigate our byzantine conduits of experience and understandings to finally arrive at our judgments - from here, one can choose to further clarify what was said and get to a very precise understanding, or one can choose to assume they understood the gist of it and build the conversation from there. Thus the kinetic linking of words and ideas can form an entirely new understanding that the two parties hold as self evident and true, without doing the work of breaking it back down into individual components and analyzing our relationships to those ideas and their truth or lack thereof.

This is my trouble with it. And so, lately I have just decided to opt for clarity, I will fully investigate each interaction so that I may completely understand our unique positions. Nothing else could seem as important to the business of a rational human being in my opinion.

With respect to German, I never understood why they had gender nouns, but it seemed to be a longer hand form of our simpler ability to build plurals of concepts by streamlining the process with which nouns were modified. We of course naturally improved on this I suppose and tossed out the idea of gender at all. But I wonder if that makes for a more androgynous language? Or maybe the idea of "gender" in their language was just function of being able to make nouns and ideas plural with a easy sort of system and has really no bearing on gender roles or concepts whatsoever.

See this article is getting at what I'm saying, talking about the reflection in the language between boy things and girl things.

Biological vs. Grammatical Gender

While gender can refer to biological sex, it more generally refers to different categories of items. Many masculine items, such as men and boys have masculine gender, and similarly many feminine items, such as women, have feminine gender in German.

der Mann
    der Junge
    die Frau

However, many nouns, which would logically have either masculine or feminine gender in real life have neuter grammatical gender. For example, the German word for girl -- Mädchen -- has neuter gender. The reason for this is clear, as the word Mädchen is a combination of Magd (maid) and the diminutive suffix -chen (little), so that a girl is a little maid in German. Furthermore, all words ending in -chen are neuter, so Mädchen is neuter. Finally, all nouns have gender in German, even though there is nothing particularly "gendered" about the concept. Why should cheese be masculine and a leg neuter?

Gender is not universal across languages, either. Some words which are feminine in English are neuter or masculine in German, and some words which are masculine in German are feminine in other European languages. Let us consider the following examples:

das Schiff
    the ship -- notice that we often refer to ships as feminine objects in English.
die Sonne
    the sun -- note that the "sun" is often masculine in other european languages, such as the Romance languages.
der Mond
    the moon -- the sun is feminine, and the moon is masculine in German, which is just the opposite of many European languages; compare with "la luna".

For this reason, one must memorize the gender of each noun when learning that noun. Luckily, the biological gender of an item (person or animal) usually agrees with its grammatical gender. Certain categories of nouns all have the same gender. For example, all nouns made from verb infinitives are neuter; all nouns ending in -heit, keit or -ung are feminine, etc. Finally, in a compound noun, the final part of the compound determines noun gender. So, since Haus is neuter, Rathaus, Kaufhaus, and Krankenhaus are also neuter.

source - http://www.skrause.org/webdesign/handson/secondpage.htm

Edited by blkjkrabbit (12/13/11 02:45 PM)

Invisiblenglsnv
Becoming
Male User Gallery

#15511130 - 12/13/11 03:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

english is a perfectly capable language. read more.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #15511210 - 12/13/11 03:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"ineffable" is a word in the English language, but I guess you cleverly left a loophole with
"just about," anyways.

There's no way I could describe an acid trip.  It's easy to describe a moment here or there, but to describe the weight of the experience is not possible if you ask me.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15511225 - 12/13/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's a language where you constantly blame others

for example if I would drop a glass you would say why did YOU drop that glass whilst in other languages the situation is explained instead of blaming the person.

assholes stop blaming me :kingcrankey:

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #15511245 - 12/13/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I think what you said in the end of your post there essentially summarizes a great deal of my anxiety with the world, people disrespect the process of communicating by being so rushed, so hurried, that they do not expect that they have to respect the process and give it time and attention to attain clarity. Instead they run around putting in essentially what seems to be the bare minimum and expect you to infer exactly what they could mean.

Yes, people transition through various modes of communication without consciously accounting for it. Sometimes they are communicating simply to enjoy themselves; other times, they are using communication as a tool to further understanding. When someone who is simply trying to enjoy themselves tries to communicate with someone who is actively using communication as tool to further their understanding of something, a variety of miscommunication results. Not from problems with the way things get interpreted, but from the fact that neither one is getting out of the communication what they intend to, and they blame the miscommunication on one another. In fact, they are in a way both right.

Quote:

And you are right I believe that English is a very either/or language, but it can be a very complex process as words navigate our byzantine conduits of experience and understandings to finally arrive at our judgments - from here, one can choose to further clarify what was said and get to a very precise understanding, or one can choose to assume they understood the gist of it and build the conversation from there. Thus the kinetic linking of words and ideas can form an entirely new understanding that the two parties hold as self evident and true, without doing the work of breaking it back down into individual components and analyzing our relationships to those ideas and their truth or lack thereof.

People rarely engage in critical self-evaluation unless they are presented with a compelling reason to. Knowledge, as people understand it, is a type of functional memory; that is, the ability the use one's memories in experientially shared ways. Entities, human or otherwise, seek knowledge to the extent that it seems beneficial to them; otherwise it is superfluous: "Once and for all, there is a great deal I do not want to know" (Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols). Very little significance will come out of any interaction between someone who is actively seeking knowledge and someone who is merely interacting for the sake of interacting (or whatever other reason).

Quote:

With respect to German, I never understood why they had gender nouns, but it seemed to be a longer hand form of our simpler ability to build plurals of concepts by streamlining the process with which nouns were modified. We of course naturally improved on this I suppose and tossed out the idea of gender at all. But I wonder if that makes for a more androgynous language? Or maybe the idea of "gender" in their language was just function of being able to make nouns and ideas plural with a easy sort of system and has really no bearing on gender roles or concepts whatsoever.

etc..

I do believe English is more androgynous than German, Spanish, etc. And I believe this is a good thing. For one, it makes English easier to learn (in that way), because there is no need to memorize the articles. For two, it dissociates things from genders, which makes sense, because things do not have genders. Only people have genders. Even animals do not have genders; only sexes.

OfflineAnthony
M1 A1

Re: english is an extremely peculiar and shit language [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15511259 - 12/13/11 03:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Anthony said:

is it not?

"ineffable" is a word in the English language, but I guess you cleverly left a loophole with
"just about," anyways.

There's no way I could describe an acid trip.  It's easy to describe a moment here or there, but to describe the weight of the experience is not possible if you ask me.

could you describe an acid trip in spanish any easier?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder