Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomerJon
wild weiliihunter
 User Gallery

Cherokee County, GA
    #1550536 - 05/15/03 11:24 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I live in Cherokee co., GA(Canton) and supposedly there are weillis to be found here... I have been looking all around my house and up to a 2 mile radius around my house for them. I have looked in pastures, red clay soil with pinestraw and any place that has been worthy of looking.. I usually look after a good long rain but yet have not found any weillis. If anyone could be of some help it would be appreciated. And also I have heard from friends around here finding shrooms growing out of manure in pastures... but I'm not sure if there is any spiecies that grow out of manure this high up in georgia...Any help will be appreciated...
Thanks,
Jon

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethomas
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: ShroomerJon]
    #1551015 - 05/15/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

there are deffinetly cubensis in your area i found pounds of them in greenville sc last year,but now i live in new york so trying to find some pan subs

OfflineShroomerJon
wild weiliihunter
 User Gallery

Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: thomas]
    #1552372 - 05/15/03 09:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thanks...Is greenville abt the same latitude as cherokee or higher .... I mustv'e thought wrong... Where(In cow fields?) and when did you find all of the cubes!! Any more replys would greatly be appreciated by anyone that has shroomed here or around north ga.. and where exactly can you find weillis!
thanks
jon

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: thomas]
    #1552491 - 05/15/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

>there are deffinetly cubensis in your area

Ummm... No. Probably not.
Cherokee county is very far north. It's not all that common to find cubensis north of say.. Macon(Butts county). Not saying that it's not possible, it does happen, but it's not common.

As far as the weilii go, the spring season is just now getting started. It may take another 2 weeks for them to start fruting in full force up in your area.

I think part of the problem is that you're looking in all the tough places to spot them. Looking in woods/clay hills/pinestraw is pretty tough, they blend in pretty well. I've had the best luck looking in newer neighborhoods(built within the past 8 years) in bermuda grass a few days after it rains. They're MUCH easier to spot in lawns than they are in the woods. They tend to hang out in areas with decent shade... near bushes and near those big green electrical boxes. The caps tend to be dark brown to tan if the mushrooms came up recently, but once the sun gets to them they will fade to an iridescent light tan color that kind of glimers in the sun. You'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. The gills on younger specimens are white, they become brown with age. Another indiciator of weilii is that they're very tough to pull out of the ground(although you should really clip them with scissors).

If you think you've found one, just slightly pinch the stem up near the cap, it should briuse blue within 10 minutes at most. Also take a good wiff of the mushroom, the smell is very distinct. Whenever I think I've found a weilii, I just pick it up and smell it, once you know the smell you'll never forget it :smile: 

OfflineShroomerJon
wild weiliihunter
 User Gallery

#1552594 - 05/15/03 11:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you soo much for your help.. I will give it a try in a few weeks and ill let you know how it goes...Is there any other type of shrooms in north ga... I can swear that ive seen amanita muscaras or look alikes before around here... red with white spots on it.. i didnt touch them because I thought they might be poisonous... Could this be a look alike or what?? Thanks!
Jon
By the way...What other shrooms are around here in northern ga!"

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1552621 - 05/15/03 11:20 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, there's Amanita muscaria around.
They're mostly Amanita muscaria var. formosa(the yellow/orange ones). From what I've heard, the only feeling you'll get from that variation of the mushroom is really bad nausea(vomiting included) followed by a coma like sleep. If you're still brave enough to try it, I normaly see my patch fruiting around November. They might be fruiting in the spring as well, just check around.

The only other active mushrooms that come to mind for northern Georgia are LK's new unnamed species, a few speices of Gymnopilus, and Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: Gumby]
    #1554064 - 05/16/03 02:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

gumby.....

i live somewhere in the vicinity of greenville, sc and the post above defiantly got my hopes up.  of course, just like you have said, i have heard that they do not fruit this far north.  but occasionally, i read posts on here claiming they do fruit north of atlanta.  hell i'm not really sure, but it hasn't stopped me from looking regardless.  currently i have about 7 fields in upstate sc where i have gained permission to roam the fields all summer and into the fall for a "thesis i am writing about the effects of el-nino on spores"  :wink:

of these 7 fields i have found nothing active and hardly anything non-active for that matter......still a little early.  god knows, we have had the rain, but the humidity just hasn't held steady yet.

it would be nice to find something closer to homebase.  nothing like riding back from atl or further south with paper bags full of shroomies  :crazy:  keep the speed limit.......sub!!!  but then again......i know where they are in atl...so the fun is gone there anyway.  the fun is finding the fruits where they are suppose to be.....

its ALL about the hunt!

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: subterranean]
    #1555258 - 05/17/03 12:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hell dude, I'd give it a chance. There are always those freak fruitings that happen. I've heard of cubensis in Tennessee... I don't think it's likely at all, but possible. You could either be wasting a lot of time looking for nothing, or you might find some nice cubes.
It all depends on... something that I'm not aware of, if I knew what it was I'd be sitting on trashbags full of cubensis instead of this computer chair :wink: 

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: Gumby]
    #1555839 - 05/17/03 09:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i'm defiantly not wasting time....i know that much.  i enjoy getting out in the fields and just walking around....very relaxing and peaceful.  again....its not the finding that is fun...its the hunt.

sure beats watching the rugrats for the 5,000,000,000 time after dinner.  daddy is going for a walk  :tongue:

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Cherokee County, GA [Re: subterranean]
    #1555928 - 05/17/03 11:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If I was up there in North Georgia

I would look for Panaeolus subbalteatus, in horse pastures.
I would look for Psilocybe cubensis, in cow pastures.
And I would look for Psilocybe weilii, in lawns.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification