Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSuperSpun
Not quite surewhat happened

Loc: India
AlienWare
    #1550306 - 05/15/03 06:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I am thinking about buying one of those AlienWare Area-51m's. Does anyone have one of theses? Are they worth the price? I want a laptop that I will not be able to slow down, no matter how hard I try. Does this laptop have enough power for my demands?

--------------------

Not quite sure what happened

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: AlienWare [Re: SuperSpun]
    #1551085 - 05/15/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I want a laptop that I will not be able to slow down, no matter how hard I try. Does this laptop have enough power for my demands?

I think your expectations are a little high. :smile: Every computer can and will be slowed down by excessive cpu, memory, storage, and/or bandwidth usage. Its unavoidable. Perhaps if you gave a specific list of programs and uses that you need this computer for, someone could give you a greater idea as to wether or not this is the right computer for you.

Also, don't forget that the Windows operating system is bloated and actually makes itself even more bloated everytime you use it. One of the most helpful things you can do for a Windows machine is a complete format and reinstall every few months (yeah, nobody likes to do it... everyone should!) Using a disk cloning program such as Norton Ghost can make the process easier as you do not need to reinstall programs and restore settings.

j-

--------------------

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#1551225 - 05/15/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't get one. I think they are way overpriced. But if you are determined to get one because of the looks, I think you already know the answer to your question.

I heard Alienware is a rebaged Clevo. Heres a link but their site is very difficult to use.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #1551892 - 05/15/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You would save alot of money just buying the parts yourself. Unless that fancy case is worth houndreds of dollars to you id say it isn't worth it.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: AlienWare [Re: barfightlard]
    #1552504 - 05/15/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I really dont think you can just go around and buy laptop parts and cases. I think they are all proprietary. Like where are you going to find the case? Is the screen attached to it already, or do you add that on seperate?

Do you have a link where you can get parts? I'm almost positive it would be much cheaper to buy one that is ready made.

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: slime_R]
    #1553452 - 05/16/03 05:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I just want a laptop with a three gig processor, 512 MB ram, And 80 Gig harddrive. I was going to wait until they made an alienware laptop with these specs(or just upgrade). Do you guys know of anyother laptops that have these specs? All I will be doing with it it playing music, editing a little music, watching dvd's on, and doing shit on the internet. I don't actually play any games whatsoever, and I don't expect to either. And I don't edit video or do anything hardcore like that. I just want a computer that will have more power than I will actually ever use. And I know that gaming computers are pretty powerful. What do you guys think?

--------------------

OfflineBlueLemming
Glowing Worm

#1554176 - 05/16/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like you want to waste your money, when you could settle for something at a much more reasonable price that would suit your needs fine. :smirk:

--------------------
-BlueLemming

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: BlueLemming]
    #1554188 - 05/16/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Haven't you ever just wanted more power? Even if you know you might not need it. I want to not be able to slow the mother fucker down, at all.

--------------------

OfflineBlueLemming
Glowing Worm

#1554193 - 05/16/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I see what your saying man. But to be honest in the long run its really not worth it. All computers become obsolete over a certain period of time.

--------------------
-BlueLemming

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: BlueLemming]
    #1554206 - 05/16/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

But don't you think that in one year from now the specs I am describing will be the norm on a new computer? That is what I am thinking.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1554320 - 05/16/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Alien is way overpriced.

That doesn't matter though. If having one (or similar) is important to you, and you can afford it..... DO IT.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1554345 - 05/16/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I just want power man. More power. Maybe I should wait untill a 4 GHz processor comes out. Maybee 3 GHz won't cut it. What do you guys think? Is three gigs pretty fast or what? I serously do not know. I think I have like a 300 Mega Hertz processor now.

--------------------

Offlinedarkfly
LysergicExperimenter

#1554817 - 05/16/03 06:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If you are going for a laptop you need to consider power consumption, the battery life on an Alienware is like 45 minutes tops from what I have heard. I dont beleive they make a mobile 3 gig processor and I dont beleive they make an 80 gig laptop hard drive. The most common large hard drive is the toshiba 60 gig 5400 RPM with 16 meg cache, laptop drives typically dont come in 7200RPM because of the battery life.

--------------------
Everything Is Blue In This World. The Deepest Shade Of Mushroom Blue.

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst

Re: AlienWare [Re: darkfly]
    #1555403 - 05/17/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

3 Gigs is fast this year

But how does that saying go, "every 18 months..." yeah that one
In a year and a half, your computer would be the slowest thing on the market

Ok, so this isn't the 90's anymore, I guess the economy just can't support a hardware market that changes so quickly. Still, computers become obsolete faster than they can be made.

That's no reason not to go for the more powerful computer, in fact I would only use it as a justification for going with a less powerful machine if my budget required it. Getting the most bang for what you can afford should be the primary objective in hardware selection. The flip side to that is not to spend too much on features you will never use, then you are just getting poof for your buck :smile:

j-

--------------------

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1555798 - 05/17/03 06:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well then I am going to get a desktop. Yeah....you guys are right.....I have been looking aroung, and alienware computers are way over priced. Alright.....Here is what I want now. 1.5 GB ram, 3 GHz processor, and 200 GB hard drive.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1555803 - 05/17/03 06:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

1.5 gig of ram is overkill.

I've never used more than 350 megs out of 512.

Of course ram is fairly cheap right now (although the price on 1gig modules is pretty high).

But as I said earlier.... if it makes you happy, do it and let no-one talk you out of it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSuperSpun

Re: AlienWare [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1555823 - 05/17/03 07:30 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

What do you mean its an overkill? Would it slow the computer down? Too much power?

--------------------

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst

#1556296 - 05/17/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If you were using windows 98 or something, too much RAM does actually have a detrimental effect. Windows XP can properly handle much much more RAM than previous versions, and I doubt that 1.5gb would slow it down.

The more RAM you have, the less you have to use virtual memory, so load that bitch up :smile:

If you really want 200gb of harddrive space, I would recommend going with a RAID configuration, or at least seperate drives. When a single drive contains so much space, seek and access times can suffer. Four 50gb harddrives in a RAID 0 setup would provide you with just about all the 200gb while theoretically quadrupling the read/write speeds. You would lose some space due to RAID overhead, but would probably make up for that with better cluster sizes. If you used seperate drives, you could at least make the clusters smaller, saving wasted space.

For those of you who don't know what a Cluster is (not a perfect explanation, but it'll do), when you harddrive is formatted, a Smallest Cluster Size is set, based upon the total size of the partition and maximum addressable clusters of the Operating System. Lets say that you have a 20gig harddrive and a Cluster size of 32k, if you save a text file that is only 2k, it actally takes up 32k of the harddisk. 30k is wasted and cannot be used to store any other data! If you filled up your harddrive with these little files, you would be lucky to actually store 1.6gig worth of information on your 20gig harddrive! The idea is to get your cluster sizes as close as possible to the average size of files stored on the drive, or if possible, the minimum size.

j-

--------------------

InvisibleAgo.Diligo
Live Love
Male
Re: AlienWare [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1563326 - 05/20/03 03:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Get cheap Athlon, 512mb stick or ram, use the ole hard drive, maybe new vid card.  Use your old case if that will work...  Probably minimum of 600$.

THEN...

O/C the athlon, slap a nic card in, and install Linux... :-D

You'll never be happier...

--------------------
"It has been said that wisdom is the ability to understand others;
it is the understanding of yourself that is enlightenment." -Shulgin

Edited by Ago.Diligo (11/09/10 07:45 AM)

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: AlienWare [Re: Ago.Diligo]
    #1564042 - 05/20/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

unless you really don't know much about computers, just order the parts you want yourself, you can read reviews of each product before you buy it and can comparison shop online from there. You could then take it to a computer shop to be assembled, or put it together yourself, which isn't all that hard. You save a lot of money building a custom computer plus, they kick ass because you can make them so damn fast!

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineZeppelin
I'm Gonna BurnOne Down.

#1564175 - 05/20/03 09:20 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I am using a two year old alienware to post right now--never had any trouble and still fast as hell. Looks great too... customer service is also top notch. I am looking to buy another one as soon as I get enough money. If you've got cash to spare, go for it.

--------------------
I'm afraid of losing my obscurity.
Genuineness only thrives in the dark.

Like celery. ~Aldous Huxley

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#1564197 - 05/20/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you want so much when you don't really know what you need?

1.5gb of ram is ridiculous. Just because you have more ram doesn't mean it "GOES FASTER!"

When I load things like microsoft word and internet explorer and basic thing like you were talking about, I don't even notice that much of a difference between my parents 400mhz machine, and my 2.2ghz machine. Just because my clock speed is 5.5 times faster than theirs, doesn't translate into things happening 5.5 times faster.

Fast machines are for games and video stuff.

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
Re: AlienWare [Re: slime_R]
    #1564837 - 05/21/03 12:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ive seen mobos with 3 gigs of ram. .

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom