Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK?
    #1548896 - 05/14/03 05:32 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hello everyone. I tried taking pictures of my friends jars with my shitty webcam, but that didnt work out so he asked me to post this.

When making his last 6 jars of BRF/Verm for the PF Tek, he used for each jar (exactly):
2/3 cup vermiculite x6 = 4 cups verm
1/4 cup brown rice flour x6 =2.5 cups brf
1/4 cup of water x6 =2.5 cups brf

Now, it was a very light colored BRF, and I think a kinda bulky verm. After mixing he filled his jars and had a some left over, so he added a tablespoon of substrate to each jar and patted it down a bit. It was moist and pretty good looking. Then he added the verm layer, and put the can on, then the lid on, and a double layer of tin foil. He put them in the PC for around 45 minutes at 15psi but it was like an hour and ten minutes total cooking time until it was steaming and such. He took the jars out and they looked a bit moister BRF. Now he had this same issue with 6 tuppaware 1/2 jars he made a week ago, but those have since started looking much better and are colonizing nicely. But, while trying to innoculate, he noticed that if he pushed the syringe all the way in, he couldnt squirt out any spores, he had to pull it out a bit, half way or so, and then he could innoculate. He was happy to see that the spores released kinda shot all around the jar, and he thinks its a good sign because the spore water spread so evenly. And since the other jars that looked too wet have since, turned into really nice looking colonizing jars, he feels good about his process. But what does everyone else think? No contams ever yet (6 jars made he says in total about 5 days into colonizing + the 6 he just innoculated). So yeh. He will try to get pictures. Oh also, the tuppaware have filter disc on top of the lids being loosely held down by the other jars sitting on top of them and the 6 new jars have coffee filters on top being held down by rubber bands.

If anything is unclear, let me know, I will pass it along to him and post a response when he gets back to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK? [Re: ]
    #1548949 - 05/14/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

On a seperate but related side note, my friend wants to know if he should keep his incubator at 90%rh or is 40% enough? Do jars need to be kept in a humid enviroment? Just curious he says.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1549029 - 05/14/03 06:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Unless the jars got waterlogged in the pc, I doubt there is too much water in them. Did you put tinfoil over the tops when you pced 'em? The mmgg recipe that you used actually calls for even less a ratio water than the original pf tek, which says that you can use as little as 1/2 cup vermiculite. The problem is probably not with your substrate mixture. It is more likely the result of packing the substrate in your jars too tightly. You don't have to pack in the substrate. Air space is important for the mycelium to grow, and the vermiculite is like a sponge; if you pack it too tightly the water can squeeze out of it. This could be a problem, but you will just have to wait and see. There is a good chance that everything will work out fine. Next time, don't pack it at all.

According to the FAQ, humidity in the incubator should be kept above 70% or the jars may dry out, but it is not too common and humidity in the incubator isn't all that important.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Anonymous

Re: Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1549056 - 05/14/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the excellent response to both my questions, ill hit you with a nice rating for that one.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #1549060 - 05/14/03 06:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like his jars are colonizing so what's to complain??? A little extra water chances are just a tad got in from steaming I wouldn't worry about it, procede!!!! as for having to pull your syringe out a little to innoculate that's standard it happens every once in a while just part of the trade. But if their colonizing fine then there is no problem......

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK? [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1549081 - 05/14/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the shrooms Flom! I'll return the favor.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineSBTlauien
Stranger

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: ]
    #1550114 - 05/15/03 01:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK? [Re: SBTlauien]
    #1550434 - 05/15/03 08:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes if your using the coarser verm it doesn't soak up as much water, and you said that yours was courser. Pressure cooking something for that long though will certainly kill all the most tenacious contams, and if the mycelium aren't too wet to grow then you have no problems.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: Too Much Water in BRF PF TEK? [Re: lemunhed]
    #1550451 - 05/15/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ive found that using a little less than 1/4 cup of water worked a little better for me, cuz even when i used the fine verm, which seems to absorb a little more water, before the jars were finished colonising condesation would form at the innoc sites and sometimes turn myc a little yellow, never really got ne contams from this but it always worried me, and u can always add water to the cake w/ a straw or such

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate