Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Agaricus pampeanus
    #1549441 - 05/14/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Monday night a couple people brought in specimens of this mushroom which isn't even listed in Mushrooms Demystified, and I can't find any photos of it on the web. And so, I present a couple photos I took of some specimens and some descriptive information.

This first photo is of two specimens, the one on the left has been cut in half and the left part bruised.

These are a medium and a small specimen. The largest specimens I have seen have been about 8 inches across.

This second photo is a closeup of the bruised mushroom to show the bruising in detail.

I should note that the purplish/reddish bruising is more of a purplish color than what I see on my monitor when I look at this photo.

The cap is very firm, comparable to Agaricus bitorquis (we had a couple there to compare it to), but it has a relatively rubbery feel compared to A. bitorquis. The surface of the cap is frequently (not always) broken up into conspicuous scales, clearly visible on the cap of the small specimen although sometimes much more scaly than that. The odor is somewhat almondy, but it is also unusual and somewhat unpleasant. Nobody has come up with a good description of the odor beyond that. The cap surface is dry. The cap is 2 - 8 inches across, 3/4 - 2 inches thick, convex, glabrous but conspicuously scaly.

The stem is 3/4 - 1 1/4 inches thick, 2 - 2 1/2 inches tall, stocky, solid, firm, and tapers to a small, rooting, pointed tip which is conspicuous on these specimens. The partial veil leaves a persistent, median, sheathing ring on the stem somewhat suggestive of a volva.

Bruising is rapid, with the upper cap area and edges of the stem immediately bruising a dark brown. A bit slower, taking several seconds, is a purplish to reddish bruising which seems centered around the base of the cap and top of the stem. These areas slowly turn dark brown over several minutes.

As is typical of Agaricus, the gills are free, crowded, broad, pink when young to very dark brown (almost black) in age. The spore print is a dark chocolate brown.

That's it! While not the usual sort of thing out here, I thought it might be useful to present a moderately obscure species with (hopefully) enough information to allow others to identify it in the future.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Agaricus pampeanus [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1549713 - 05/14/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

that is one meaty mushroom. is it edible? i think thats about all u left out. good job toxic. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1549756 - 05/14/03 11:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool!!

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: Agaricus pampeanus [Re: angryshroom]
    #1549772 - 05/14/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Large specimens 8" across! meaty mushroom is an understatement... :shocked:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Agaricus pampeanus [Re: blaze2]
    #1549836 - 05/15/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

We believe it is edible, but not very good. I haven't tried it myself, and the odor doesn't really make me want to. I'm fairly sure it has been eaten, and we have no records of poisonings from it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#1549866 - 05/15/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The cap in the crossection picture looks like a steak. Very dense.

Thanks for sharing.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom