Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineshroomist x stan
Trippahollic
Male

Loc: Humid Hell
Underground Build
    #15376891 - 11/15/11 10:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hello fellow shroomerites, I come to you today to ask some questions and bounce ideas off you guys and possibly inspire some people as well. I love building things of my own using skill and knowledge of said things and seeing it come together is the best feeling in the world for me. I am planning on building a small underground storage space located under my living space. I have never built a basement or anything underground for that matter, but I have done an extensive amount of research on bomb shelters, basements, and cellars and believe that I can do this myself with some time and effort.

Some background on the build - I am currently living in a mobile home which as you may or may not know is sitting on concrete blocks about 4ft from the ground (please hold the "white trash" comments as it is quite large and nice). The blocks holding the frame are staggered and vary on the locations underneath. Generally though there is 5 - 8ft between each stack. I plan on digging a 7 x 7 x 7 ft hole and building a 5 x 5 x 7 ft storage space within this hole for my hobbies. I am going pretty cheap on this just because i'm not trying to build a bomb shelter, just something to house my precious pals that do not get much sympathy from some people in this backwards world. That being said, I will use 2x4's as braces on the walls, ceiling, and floor then use plywood to close in the room. Once this is done I will then use some pvc piping for intake and exhaust mounted to a box with a hepa inside. The pvc will also have a inline fan located in the middle to suck in air from outside every hour for 5 - 10 mins. Once this is done I will epoxy the holes and make sure its as airtight as possible (besides the intake and exhaust holes) and tarp over the entire  room to prevent excess water leakage. As far as temp and airflow, a small heater and fan should be sufficient with this size room. And electricity is the best part, there are outlets underneath my home that can easily be disguised as wires just running under my house so there is no need in installing it myself(i'm no electrician). I'm thinking the entrance will be the last step, maybe a hole with culvert pipe and a ladder because stairs do not seem a viable option for this.

So now that you guys know what is going on I have a question for anyone that cares to answer. The blocks that are holding up my place, will they become structurally unstable if I dig a large hole in between 4 or 5 of them or should it be alright? That is my main concern as having a large house fall on top of you would not seem survivable. I'll try and post some pics of what I mean so you get a better picture, but its been raining quite hard all day today and its preventing me atm. If you have ANY and I mean ANY advice, ideas, or just some facts that would help me alot. Come on shroomery, lets build a ..... cellar????  :awesomenod:

--------------------
:mushroom2: Anything I have posted should be taken lightly. I am a compulsive liar and say most things to persuade others i am cool. None of it is real, just a collaboration of my imagination. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Underground Build [Re: shroomist x stan]
    #15377046 - 11/15/11 11:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Although I would imagine that if one post became unstable it would probably be ok, I would not advise this plan in any way. Plus having a hole down there without having a gravel barrier around cinder blocks or something will surely be prone to water flow and sidewall cave ins.

--------------------

Offlineshroomist x stan
Trippahollic
Male

Re: Underground Build [Re: audiophoenix]
    #15377515 - 11/16/11 01:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
Plus having a hole down there without having a gravel barrier around cinder blocks or something will surely be prone to water flow and sidewall cave ins.

I thought this same thing also. But to counterpoint water flow, i've been watching the small amount of rainfall we've had this season, today being the greatest it has in a while, and surprisingly 90% of the dirt underneath stayed dry each time. I believe it has to do with fact that I have a garden framed with wood planks all the way around my house that acts as a barrier against rainfall. Plus I was planning to use bricks and left over dirt from the hole to form another barrier from the inside. The sidewall cave in gives me some worry though, defiantly wouldn't want to be caught in that. I suppose I could use cinderblocks in the corners offset, drop in the 2x4's and then concrete them. Rebar and walls made completely of blocks are out of budget right now im afraid. What would you suggest?

--------------------
:mushroom2: Anything I have posted should be taken lightly. I am a compulsive liar and say most things to persuade others i am cool. None of it is real, just a collaboration of my imagination. :mushroom2:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #15384923 - 11/17/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you're looking at an engineering nightmare to try and do this while the
mobile home is in place... there's a lot of risk involved here. now let me
explain the danger. the walls of a trench can collapse, depending on the
composition of the soil you could be looking at 40 tons of dirt falling in on
you and then having the home fall in with it

if you have 8' spacing between your piers then you can possibly make a 5x5
room without risking the piers collapsing the sides while you're digging it
out. you'll need to use concrete or plate steel for your walls and all
of that will need to be boxed with bracing on the top and bottom and
something like this will be no easy task, the box would really need to be
built and set before the home was placed

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: Underground Build [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15388582 - 11/18/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You would not be able to accomplish this unless you went straight thru your living room floor which this is not the time of year to start that but it might be ok where you live. I would go thru my floor but excavating the dirt is going to be a bitch. you will have to use something other than plywood and also you would need a sump and liners on the wall for waterproofing or something other than a tarp. 5'x5'x7' is a decent size hole. I could mention a few other things just to start. But my concern is that you want to try and build an underground strage shelter beneath your mobile home all by yourself but you can't do a simple procedure like instal an outlet. I am by no means an electrician but outlets and breakers are a piece of cake. I installed a dedicated gfi for my reef tank and it took me a whole fifteen minutes to run the line instal the breaker and hook it up. I just dont think this is a smart idea unless you have some funds to back it up. this is going to affect your home. If you did it right you could have a secret acces panel in your house somewhere. Wiat till you have more money.

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

Offlineshred805
Stranger

Re: Underground Build [Re: shroomerite]
    #15447716 - 11/30/11 11:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

too much work, just try your closet :p

OfflineDjcorbetto
Stranger

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Underground Build [Re: shred805]
    #15448343 - 12/01/11 04:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Can you not try digging a hole in your garden? tell people its a beer/ wine cellar?

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15475842 - 12/06/11 05:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Can you get a shed??
I live in a mobile home and have a shed...it seems to me like it'd be much easier to build an underground room underneath that thing than the actual home.

Offlineshroomist x stan
Trippahollic
Male

Re: Underground Build [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #15489674 - 12/09/11 06:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
Can you get a shed??
I live in a mobile home and have a shed...it seems to me like it'd be much easier to build an underground room underneath that thing than the actual home.

I do have a shed and am now just contemplating digging a small tunnel I guess you would say, a 3 x 6 x 5 to be exact. I'm thinking this will counter the major weight issues but will also require more materials as this area is more susceptible to water fall than under my house. The shed is roughly 6 x 12.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #15490583 - 12/09/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

seriously, engineering is your issue here, if not done properly you're going
to have a cave in and if you're unlucky you will be buried alive, luckily
though, the weight of all that dirt will crush you so you wont be living for
more than a few minutes

if you're determined to do a project like this then plan on doing it right
because there's no way to do it a little at a time and with crap you can get
at home depot. make use of the shed to conceal your entrance but bury a
shipping container or buy a storm shelter, rent an excavator and dig your
hole, bury the container and set the shed on top. even with doing that you're
going to have to reinforce some things to keep the container from collapsing
under the weight of the dirt

old containers can be picked up for about $500-$1500, the excavator could cost around $100-$300/day depending in size
http://googlebordello.crushhumanity.org/internettreasures/container/yourself.html

Invisible2newtz
Melungeonoid
 User Gallery

Loc: Cumberland Gapt
    #15493187 - 12/09/11 10:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Buy a bus, rent a backhoe. People do it everyday?

--------------------
~I'm not In a Position to Properly run Anything?~
~Twice the Fun in Half the Time!~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
3,205 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 12 queries.