Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors...
    #15491066 - 12/09/11 01:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Any bourbon fans about in here?

I'm a Wild Turkey 101 man myself, I like it with a little splash of water n nuttin else. (great way to lose a beer gut btw...)

Hard to find many more obscure labels where I live in the UK, I like Makers Mark and Knob Creek too.

Anyone got a favourite, maybe slightly less well known Kentucky straight? I want some recommendations people.

I know the song is about a Tennessee sour mash and not strictly speaking a bourbon, but I dig the tune..

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHorsewithnoname
I can't remember my name
Male

Loc: In the desert
Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: egodeathflux]
    #15491094 - 12/09/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know nothing about bourbon, but gdamn it is good. Lots of ice makes perfect.

OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15491103 - 12/09/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

most bourbon is overrated shit.  irish whiskey is the real winner.

--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Invisibleky_distiller
Master Distiller
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kentucky Flag
Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: HeadTripVertigo]
    #15491110 - 12/09/11 01:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Buffalo Trace is my favorite.  The little woman is partial to Four Roses Single Barrel.

--------------------
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite; and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Invisibleifoundwaldo

Loc: Denver, CO Flag
    #15491147 - 12/09/11 01:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Fuckin A. Nothing more American than bourbon.

I've been drinking cheap bourbon lately.
McAfee Benchmark No. 8. A young Buffalo Trace bourbon.

I'd obviously prefer Buffalo Trace... :grin:

--------------------

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

#15491158 - 12/09/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I kinda thought the same for a long while, been a pretty dedicated drinker for far too long and only got into the wondeful world of bourbon in the last year or so.

Obviously had my share of Jack n coke etc but never really explored it as a serious drink. It's by far my favourite tipple now.

I do enjoy some Irish whiskey and decent single malt Scotch, but it is expensive and not quite as sumptuous IMO. Scotch in particular I find can be very 'medicinal' tasting, like anitseptic almost.. Bourbon ain't cheap in the UK, but I find I can sip it all day like nothing else.

Plus we don't have rednecks here so the whole affair is a little more sophisticated!! :grin:

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

Invisibleifoundwaldo

#15491168 - 12/09/11 01:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That sucks. Bourbon is cheap as shit in the US. Easily half the price of (the cheapest) scotch, and cheaper than Irish whiskey.

Comparing Irish whiskey to bourbon is like comparing apples to orange though.
Completely different flavor profiles...

--------------------

OfflineHorsewithnoname
I can't remember my name
Male

Loc: In the desert
    #15491184 - 12/09/11 01:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

egodeathflux said:
Yeah I kinda thought the same for a long while, been a pretty dedicated drinker for far too long and only got into the wondeful world of bourbon in the last year or so.

Obviously had my share of Jack n coke etc but never really explored it as a serious drink. It's by far my favourite tipple now.

I do enjoy some Irish whiskey and decent single malt Scotch, but it is expensive and not quite as sumptuous IMO. Scotch in particular I find can be very 'medicinal' tasting, like anitseptic almost.. Bourbon ain't cheap in the UK, but I find I can sip it all day like nothing else.

Plus we don't have rednecks here so the whole affair is a little more sophisticated!! :grin:

There is nothing sophisticated about drinking :ilold:

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

#15491190 - 12/09/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone try the Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1? Just saw it on Amazon.. looks SASSY!!  :bubbles:

Will give the Buffalo Trace a go if you guys think it's worth checking out, something to make the hoards of nieces more bearable at xmas!

This the one? Not sure how many they do/if we get the same stuff in the UK. Sometimes the export stuff varies..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Trace-Bourbon-700-ml/dp/B00442191O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323463978&sr=8-1

Come drink with me, Horsewithnoname, I'll show you sophistication! There's no frat boys puking on each other and smashiong stuff up, we're all grown ups!

"Liquor is like a symphony"- Bukowski. :cool:

--------------------

OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #15491191 - 12/09/11 02:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

still the only decent bourbon you can get is usually double or mroe the price of a bottle of good irish whiskey.  so instead of getting some knob creek I'll get some jameson or tully.

--------------------

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

#15491200 - 12/09/11 02:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Jim Beam is £16 a bottle in my local and Jameson is £22, not sure how that works... Prices in the UK are fucked. :shrug:

EDIT: YOU CAN BUY LIQUOR ON AMAZON? Never even occurred to me until today, liquor is about the only thing I actually buy in real stores, other than food.

--------------------

Edited by egodeathflux (12/09/11 02:08 PM)

Invisibleifoundwaldo

#15491204 - 12/09/11 02:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That's it. A 9 year bourbon. Less rye in the bill (i.e. sweeter) than your average bourbon.
If you like rye, try Bulleit too. I love Bulleit.

BTW, both of these are the same price as a bottle of Jameson.
Jim Beam Black (also pretty good) is cheaper.

--------------------

OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15491205 - 12/09/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I meant decent bourbon.  jack/jim are far from that.  way overrated.  high school shit.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #15491208 - 12/09/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

egodeathflux said:
Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors...

the only thing dark about Bourbon is the souls and hearts of the belligerent rednecks that drink it

yeah... seems that even cheap gin is darker than bourbon

Invisibleifoundwaldo

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: HeadTripVertigo] * 1
    #15491220 - 12/09/11 02:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HeadTripVertigo said:
I meant decent bourbon.  jack/jim are far from that.  way overrated.  high school shit.

Jim Beam Black is not Jim Beam. Award winning, 8 year aged bourbon. Very good.

Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#15491236 - 12/09/11 02:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i like me a knob creek, but im not big on burboun, not because i dont like it, but just never got into it.

im more of a scotch man.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15491240 - 12/09/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's Lionel Hutz quote Pris. Although I think I misquoted somewhat to be fair, might be "brownest of the brown.." Either way a Simpsons reference, not a categorical statement of fact!

I like me some good dark rum too, Angostura is a damn fine one, I get my sister a bottle for her birthday each year. Think it's a Reserve of some such, has a cork. All great liquor should have a cork. I think Havana Club 8 Anes is even darker though.

ifoundwaldo, yeah Bulleit is another nice one, haven't seen that for a while.

Headtripvertigo, I'm in my mid-30's and Jim Beam n water is fine with me any day, not amazing but definitely quaffable, more so than JD I find, that stuff rots my gut. I drink Jim when I'm po'. :grin:

--------------------

Edited by egodeathflux (12/09/11 02:18 PM)

OfflineAnhoktohen
iamthecheese
Male

#15491251 - 12/09/11 02:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yes, lionel hutz, interrogating marge simpson, his own client, must leave the courtroom to call his sponsor, because bourbon, the brownest of the brown liquors is tempting him, hah!

and before I logged onto the pub just now I poured myself two fingers of jim beam, so I :heart: this thread.

--------------------
"Less reality, more fantasy!"
~Hedonism bot, Futurama

Invisibleky_distiller
Master Distiller
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15491265 - 12/09/11 02:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting fact about bourbon barrels:

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/KentuckyBourbon.html

If you like Scotch or Irish whisky you have to give thanks to Kentucky Bourbon and our Kentucky crafted American white oak barrels. After the barrels have been used ONCE to make world renowned Kentucky Bourbon, they are shipped overseas where they are reused over and over again to make European whisky It's the Kentucky oak barrels that help give their whisky it's flavor and color. The FIRST USE of the barrel produces the BEST whiskey, that's why Bourbon is made in a NEW white oak barrel. When you buy Kentucky Bourbon besides getting the best quality product you also help support American farmers and workers.

--------------------
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite; and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: ky_distiller]
    #15491303 - 12/09/11 02:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the booze barrel trade is truly marvelous.

RE: Corks, corks breathe and will slowly oxidize booze over time.

this is desirable in some cases, but now a lot of the best booze, especially wine, is embracing the screw top for its lack of oxidation.

wax and plastic shrinkwrap toppers can do the same.

as for borboun, i think a cork top  could be desirable.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: ky_distiller]
    #15491313 - 12/09/11 02:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I found out all kinds of interesting things the last few months. Like you say about the barrels, the fact that they have to be new, charred oak and it has to be aged for at least 2 years with at least 51% of the content being corn I believe (feel free to correct me).

Started to do a little research as a guy told me Bourbon HAD to be from Kentucky and he tends to talk some B/S so checked it out.

Anyone know if Kentucky is the only state allowed to put their state name on a bottle of Bourbon? Read it in a couple of places but couldn't find any mention of it in the ATF guidelines/catergorisations. May not have been ATF I forget, some US govt dept. or other.

--------------------

Invisibleky_distiller
Master Distiller
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15491347 - 12/09/11 02:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

egodeathflux said:
Yeah I found out all kinds of interesting things the last few months. Like you say about the barrels, the fact that they have to be new, charred oak and it has to be aged for at least 2 years with at least 51% of the content being corn I believe (feel free to correct me).

Started to do a little research as a guy told me Bourbon HAD to be from Kentucky and he tends to talk some B/S so checked it out.

Anyone know if Kentucky is the only state allowed to put their state name on a bottle of Bourbon? Read it in a couple of places but couldn't find any mention of it in the ATF guidelines/catergorisations. May not have been ATF I forget, some US govt dept. or other.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States." Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits. However, most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association. Iron-free water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon making process. It has been reported that 97% of all bourbon is distilled and aged somewhere near Bardstown, Kentucky.

Also:

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for consumption within the United States must meet these requirements:
Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.
Bourbon must be made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon must be entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon, like other whiskeys, must be bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume).
Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period, although it must be aged at least briefly. However, the following definitions and requirements apply that relate to aging periods: Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and has no added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called Straight bourbon.
Bourbon that is labeled as Straight that has been aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a Bourbon that is labeled as Blended, as neutral grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).

Bourbon that is labeled as Blended (or as ‘a blend’) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); however, at least 51% of such a product must be Straight Bourbon.

--------------------

Edited by ky_distiller (12/09/11 03:15 PM)

Offlineeastcoastremedy
 User Gallery

Loc: appalachia
    #15492135 - 12/09/11 05:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

but jim beam is!

Offlinestayhigh89
Stranger

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: eastcoastremedy]
    #15492343 - 12/09/11 06:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Jim beam taste like a dirty foot. Buttttttt and there is a but... I still drink it. I do prefer my jack danials whiskey.

--------------------

OfflinePNW FunGuy
Psilocybian
Male User Gallery

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: stayhigh89]
    #15492384 - 12/09/11 07:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

AHEM, my glass is empty :awehigh:

--------------------
"The edge, there is no honest way to explain it, because the only ones who know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Dr. HST, the true king of fun - RIP

Federal Bureau of Keeping Juice
Special Agent Fun Guy.

InvisibleDieCommie

#15492609 - 12/09/11 07:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:

Its close enough.

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: DieCommie]
    #15492710 - 12/09/11 08:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I like Old Crow, its a pretty good Bourbon, and for a good price.

InvisibleIrishdrunk
Democracy? We Deliver!!!
Male User Gallery
Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: ShiVersblood]
    #15492713 - 12/09/11 08:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Jameson for the win!

--------------------
:awesome:

OfflineJoolz
Male

Re: Bourbon, darkest of the dark liquors... [Re: ShiVersblood]
    #15492720 - 12/09/11 08:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Egg nog with rum and bourbon is pretty fucking fantastic.

--------------------
Prohibition didn't work for God; Eve ate the fruit.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom