Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
To those who hate Bush.
    #1548623 - 05/14/03 05:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: To those who hate Bush. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1548632 - 05/14/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe you should just cut and paste it...It's just prompting us to register.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: To those who hate Bush. [Re: Rono]
    #1548658 - 05/14/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well you could just register using the prompts they give..... but here.....

Blinded by Bush-Hatred

advertisement

_____What's Your Opinion?_____

? Share Your Views About Editorials and Opinion Pieces on Our Message Boards
? About Message Boards

Subscribe to

E-Mail This Article

Printer-Friendly Version

By Jonathan Chait
Thursday, May 8, 2003; Page A31

In the lead-up to the war against Iraq, liberal doves all made pretty much the same point, with some variation: However successful the conflict itself might be, the long-term diplomatic costs of alienating much of the world would outweigh any benefits. This prediction, while questionable, at least had the benefit of playing out over such an extended period of time that it could not be conclusively disproved until its adherents were all long dead. Alas, after the campaign hit a snag, many doves were unable to resist the temptation to crow over the supposed overconfidence of the war plan -- and as a result looked silly a few days later when Saddam Hussein's regime collapsed, to the apparent delight of most Iraqis.

Now, it seems, war opponents are making a similar mistake. The present cause of their crowing is the failure (thus far) of the military to find solid evidence of weapons of mass destruction. Opponents of the war are starting to assert, or at least hint, that the entire rationale for the conflict has been undermined. The notion that Bush made the whole thing up about weapons of mass destruction has taken root on the left and is creeping ever closer to the liberal mainstream. My fellow liberals who have taken up this line are once again making a disastrous misjudgment.

The soft version of this argument is that the delay in finding weapons of mass destruction proves we should have given the U.N. weapons inspectors more time. Hans Blix intimated as much when he archly noted that "it is conspicuous that so far [U.S. troops] have not stumbled upon anything, evidence." The reason U.S. troops haven't yet found anything is that Hussein worked assiduously to hide his proscribed weapons. Iraq moved weapons around the country in tractor-trailers, buried them in out-of-the-way places and so on. The lesson is that finding Hussein's weapons isn't as simple as pulling over to the side of the road and peering into suspicious-looking buildings. It requires cracking open the elaborate secrecy apparatus surrounding them. That's something Blix was never going to be able to do. The difficulty of locating weapons of mass destruction doesn't prove that inspectors should have been given more time. It proves that inspections could never have worked while Hussein remained in power.

Recently a more radical version of this argument has gained credence: Maybe there never were any such weapons. In this view, the entire notion was a kind of Gulf of Tonkin redux -- a sinister ploy by Bush and his neoconservative minions to whipsaw the public into supporting a war whose real motives (Israel? Oil? Empire?) could not be stated openly. It's entirely appropriate to question the honesty of Bush's stated rationale for fighting. After all, the arguments he uses to justify his domestic agenda are shot through with deceit. (Consider his shifting, implausible and contradictory justifications for cutting taxes.) And it's also true that a few elements of the administration's evidence against Iraq have turned out to be overstatements or outright hoaxes.

So Bush's claims should never be taken at face value. But accepting the fact that Iraq had an extensive and continuing program for weapons of mass destruction doesn't require taking Bush at his word. The U.N. Special Commission, when it finished its work in 1999, concluded the same thing. So has Germany's intelligence service. So has the United Kingdom's. Indeed, the only people who seem to doubt it are either allies of Hussein or those who distrust Bush so much that they automatically assume everything he says must be false.

Perhaps the most disheartening development of the war -- at home, anyway -- is the number of liberals who have allowed Bush-hatred to take the place of thinking. Speaking with otherwise perceptive people, I have seen the same intellectual tics come up time and time again: If Bush is for it, I'm against it. If Bush says it, it must be a lie. Their opposition to Bush has made liberals embrace principles -- such as the notion that the United States must never fight without U.N. approval except in self-defense -- to which the Clinton administration never adhered (see Operation Desert Fox in 1998, or the Kosovo campaign in 1999). And it has made them forget that there are governments in the world even more odious and untrustworthy than the Bush administration.

The writer is a senior editor at the New Republic.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548683 - 05/14/03 06:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

interesting article..especially the part that says "It's entirely appropriate to question the honesty of Bush's stated rationale for fighting. After all, the arguments he uses to justify his domestic agenda are shot through with deceit. (Consider his shifting, implausible and contradictory justifications for cutting taxes.) And it's also true that a few elements of the administration's evidence against Iraq have turned out to be overstatements or outright hoaxes.

So Bush's claims should never be taken at face value."

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1548691 - 05/14/03 06:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The reason U.S. troops haven't yet found anything is that Hussein worked assiduously to hide his proscribed weapons. Iraq moved weapons around the country in tractor-trailers, buried them in out-of-the-way places and so on.

How does he know this exactly? The US has spy satellites capable of telling whether a coin is heads or tails - does the think they were incapable of following fucking tractor-trailers?

It's these kinds of arseholes that give journalism a bad name.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548705 - 05/14/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

What an incredible surprise that that's what you came away from that article with.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548711 - 05/14/03 06:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The Author of the article said it...I didn't. I just quoted it.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1548712 - 05/14/03 06:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

What an incredible surprise that that's what you came away from that article with. 

What an incredible surprise that's all you quoted Rono on. :smirk: 

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548724 - 05/14/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Where did I say that you said it?

You are not being very accurate today. Bad day?

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1548729 - 05/14/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Meh, the commentary is menial at best. It has said nothing new. Hardly news worthy. Some people let blind hatred get in the way of thinkng. Big duh there. Some people let blind admiration do the same thing.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: To those who hate Bush. [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1548737 - 05/14/03 06:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Some do blindly admire, some blindly hate.

I like some things about Bush and dislike others.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1548746 - 05/14/03 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, he is dedicated to his job and country, I'll give him that.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548748 - 05/14/03 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Do I hate Bush? Yes...
Blindly? No..he has already proven without a doubt that he can't be trusted. It wouldn't matter if he was a Democrat or Libertarian...I would still despise him.

--------------------

Edited by Rono (05/14/03 06:22 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548774 - 05/14/03 06:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sure you would.... sure.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: To those who hate Bush. [Re: Xlea321]
    #1548780 - 05/14/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget about the tornado machines. They have those too.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548790 - 05/14/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Do you honestly think that I give a shit about Republicans or Democrats or Libertarians? I judge the individual by his actions, not his party affiliations...and in this case the individual in question is a lying sack of shit. And for the record Clinton was a lying sack of shit as well if that makes you feel better.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548795 - 05/14/03 06:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I do think so.... yes.

If it makes you feel better to substitute conservatives for Repub's, and liberals for Dem's, feel free.

I don't think you're very objective at all in matters political.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548806 - 05/14/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I don't think you're very objective at all in matters political.

And you are???

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548819 - 05/14/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes I think I am, at least more-so than you.

As an example... I have no trouble slamming the Patriot Act, or Bushes desire to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. I find his stated willingness to continue the so-called assault weapons ban to be reprehensible. His statement about helping those who had no home owners insurance floored me. And more.

He was not the best man the Repub's could have put up but he was better than those he ran against by a long shot.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548831 - 05/14/03 07:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I have no trouble slamming the Patriot Act

ooooh...Way to go against the grain. Who doesn't have an easy time slamming the Patriot Act? Disagreeing with something that is complete bullshit doesn't make you objective.

Quote:

I find his stated willingness to continue the so-called assault weapons ban to be reprehensible

That particular issue I am still undecided on...I could argue for either side convincingly.

Quote:

He was not the best man the Repub's could have put up but he was better than those he ran against by a long shot.

He was not the best man ANY PARTY could have put up...I will agree that the competition wasn't exactly dazzling either though. It's like having to decide which way you want to get ass fucked.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion