Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq
    #1548395 - 05/14/03 04:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Court case against General Franks in Brussels
No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq
www.stopusa.be
www.globalresearch.ca 12 May 2003
The URL of this article is: http://globalresearch.ca/articles/COU305A.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty victims of war crimes committed by U.S. troops during the recent war against Iraq are filing charges before the federal prosecutor of Belgium for violations of International Humanitarian Law.

The complaint is directed against soldiers?who are not identified at this stage?who have committed war crimes. It mentions General Tommy Franks in particular for ordering war crimes and for not preventing others from committing them or for providing protection to the perpetrators.

The plaintiffs have been seriously injured or have lost relatives as the result of:

- the use of cluster bombs

- attacks on the civilian population including journalists

- acts of aggression against health services and other Iraqi infrastructure

- looting protected by or under orders from the U.S. army.

The plaintiffs and their relatives likewise have reason to fear the devastating effects of depleted uranium munitions used by the U.S. army. Their effects have already been highlighted in the previous wars against Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan.

Millions of demonstrators throughout the world have voiced their opposition to the war on Iraq. Opinion polls showed that everywhere, between 70 and 80% of the population condemned this war of aggression.

In defiance of the people's will, the Bush administration violated international law by attacking Iraq without the permission of the Security Council and refusing to respect the ban on the use of force included in the UN Charter. In the field, U.S. troops also committed many war crimes, as attested by many sources.

The plaintiffs demand an independent inquiry to identify those responsible for the war crimes of which they were victims. They are also asking for those guilty to be brought to justice.

The complaint was filed in Brussels on the basis of the Belgian law on "universal jurisdiction" as amended on May 7, 2003. The law, as amended, gives the Belgian government the option of filing a case before the International Criminal Court (ICC) or forwarding it to the country of origin of the accused.

The United States, however, has not ratified the Statutes of the ICC, thus rendering a transfer to this court impossible. As for referring the case to the courts of the country of origin, the law demands that the latter afford guarantees of impartiality. That is not the case with American lawcourts for the moment for a number of reasons:

Assoon as the possibility of filing charges was announced, the spokespersonof the State Department demanded demanded the intervention of the Belgiangovernment to prevent the judiciary from investigating the case.
Theattitude of the Bush administration clearly shows there is no guaranteethat the United States executive would not exercise the same type ofpressure on the courts of the country. It should be recalled that thissame administration refuses the prisoners detained in Guantanamo any kindof legal status, has set up special secret courts to try people accused of" terrorism " and detains hundreds of foreigners for unlimitedperiods and without due process. It has this shown its intention tointervene in judicial procedure and its total lack of respect for the mostbasic rights of the defence.
CongressmanGary Ackerman of New York has introduced a bill to forbid allcollaboration with any state trying to exercise universal jurisdiction,and in particular with Belgium.

The victims' testimonies have been documented by doctor Colette Moulaert and doctor Geert Van Moorter, who were on a humanitarian mission for the NGO Medical Aid for the Third World and stayed in Baghdad throughout the offensive. The Coordination STOP USA, which was active against the war in Belgium, will support the plaintiffs and will provide information on the case worldwide.

International appeal :
No Impunity for War Crimes committed by U.S. Troops in Iraq!

Source

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq [Re: Rono]
    #1548510 - 05/14/03 05:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This is exactly why the US didn't sign on, and hopefully never will.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1548515 - 05/14/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So you don't think that the U.S. should ever be convicted of war crimes even if it is proven that they committed them?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548519 - 05/14/03 05:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Where did you see me say that?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1548533 - 05/14/03 05:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You implied it...I think it would irresponsible to not at least investigate the allegations, and if they are proven true, then the people responsible should suffer the consequences. Regardless of if they are from the U.S....

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548545 - 05/14/03 05:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I implied nothing of the sort.

Perhaps it's time to quit doing whatever it is that's affecting your comprehension.

My comments were and are directed solely at the idea of a "world court" trying US soldiers specifically and any other US citizens in general.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548549 - 05/14/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

And why is that a bad thing?..Obviously the U.S. is not going to convict itself. If there were no crimes committed then why would they be worried?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548563 - 05/14/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Come on man.... silly question.

For the same reason juries "stick it" to people in trials, for the same reason lawsuits are awarding obscene cash verdicts, for the same reason people are in jail when they shouldn't be.

And most importantly.... because there are many who would just love to stick it to a US citizen. Guilty or not.

And a little research will show we do indeed put individuals in jail who have committed war crimes.

Does the name Calley ring a bell in those clogged Canadian ears?

EDIT (Who by the way.... didn't spend nearly enough time in jail) And there's more if you care to look.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (05/14/03 05:29 PM)

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548594 - 05/14/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Okay...let's assume that there is no world court. Who then is responsible for determining if war crimes were committed? The country that committed them? Surely even you can see the obvious flaw in that logic.

If there are countries that want to "stick it to" the U.S., perhaps you should consider the idea that they may have a valid complaint?

I can't believe that you are even trying to debate this.

--------------------

Edited by Rono (05/14/03 05:37 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548600 - 05/14/03 05:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

And here's another story on the lawsuit filed by an asshole ambulance chaser.

The Link

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548612 - 05/14/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Surely even you can see the obvious flaw in that logic.

This country has shown itself to be willing to deal with this kind of crap before, and it will continue to. (imo)

Quote:

If there are countries that want to "stick it to" the U.S., perhaps you should consider the idea that they may have a valid complaint?

I have no doubt they believe they do. I can't help it there are so many ignorant fools in the world.

Simply because there are so many stupid people in the world doesn't mean our leaders need to join them.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548657 - 05/14/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

This country has shown itself to be willing to deal with this kind of crap before, and it will continue to. (imo)

Using your own example (Calley) he only served only days in Fort Leavenworth, before being transferred back to Fort Benning, where he was placed under house arrest. His sentence was repeatedly reduced. Finally, he was pardoned by President Nixon. He was paroled in November, 1974.
And you say that the U.S. is able to objectively judge itself for war crimes? He killed women and children and he never even got the proverbial slap on the wrist! Any other examples?

--------------------

Edited by Rono (05/14/03 05:54 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548695 - 05/14/03 06:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

He was judged, found guilty and was shortly thereafter pardond by Richard (i am not a crook) Nixon.

That wasn't the fault of anyone other than Nixon.

Do a search if you need more.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#1548707 - 05/14/03 06:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So then you concede that it's not exactly a reliable method of justice when it comes to war crimes.
Obviously not every country has a beef with the U.S. so the world court would be far more objective than having to rely on a country to decide if it commited war crimes.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1548717 - 05/14/03 06:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Here, I didn't want to appear to Alpo like so I looked. More examples are not hard to find.

A link

And to answer your question, no I do not concede that the actions of one man calls the entire system into question.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1549609 - 05/15/03 12:59 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

luvdemshrooms:

i cant beleive that your argument actually exists, I hope your not one of those people who tries to prove that the holocaust didnt actually occur.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Edited by atomikfunksoldier (05/15/03 01:00 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1549733 - 05/15/03 01:47 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Here, I didn't want to appear to Alpo like so I looked

Don't worry, there's no fear you'll ever look like me. I'm a lot older than 3 for a start  :smile:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinemycophat
Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #1550168 - 05/15/03 04:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Was anyone ever convicted when we nuked the piss out of Japan?

This is an honest question as I do not know and would like an answer. Because to me it just seems that in that one event anyway that the U.S. commited one of the biggest crimes against humanity in all of history. And I recently heard on CNN ( I think that was the channel although it may have been Nightline ) that the U.S. was creating its own world wide war crimes commity and that not only would the U.S. basicly decide if it had commited war crimes and no one else,but that it would only go back as far as the last 25 years or so. Also one of the guys said that basicly if the U.S. HAD commited war crimes that since it was running the commity that it could basicly have the final say as to wether the U.S. could be held accountable. Please remember I can only remember bits and pieces of the program. But perhaps someone else out there saw the same show and could help clarify my poor memory. I am in no way stating these to be facts of any kind.

But I do believe Bush and anyone else involed in the war should be held accountable as I do not believe anyone has actualy given any PROOF that we had a right to go to war in the first place.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #1550186 - 05/15/03 05:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'm a lot older than 3 for a start

Physically perhaps.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: No impunity for war crimes committed by U.S. troops in I [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1551088 - 05/15/03 02:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Here, I didn't want to appear to Alpo like so I looked. More examples are not hard to find.

A link

And to answer your question, no I do not concede that the actions of one man calls the entire system into question.

Even if that man was President of the United States?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion