Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house
    #15478494 - 12/07/11 03:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cannon Mishap: Mythbusters Accidentally Shoot Dublin House

We love it when the Mythbusters destroy stuff,  but not when it's our stuff. It looks like the Mythbusters accidentally fired a cannonball into a house in Dublin, California when a test performed at a nearby firing range went awry.

Earlier, Grant Imahara had tweeted, "Today we're working with heavy artillery", along with a photo of the cannon. The item was retweeted by the official Mythbusters account, but both posts were then deleted.

Then the news emerged that a Mythbusters-fired cannonball struck a house in Dublin. The cannonball left small holes as it bounced through the house, and ended up lodged in a minivan parked outside.

The takeaways from this:

Deleting tweets doesn't mean they're gone. People retweet, take screenshots, etc.
    Corollary to #1: deleting tweets makes you look guilty.
    You can't delete a hole left by a cannonball.

http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/mythbusters-shoot-bay-area-house-cannon-2867641.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15478814 - 12/07/11 06:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One of my favorite shows. I am truly amazed they're able to keep it running. I remember in season 1 thinking they couldnt do more than 2 or 3 seasons.

Invisiblecasket
Closed Casket
Male

Loc: psw
Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: shLong]
    #15478818 - 12/07/11 06:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i tried not to, but i lol when i saw that pic.

--------------------
my sig never wants to stay...

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15478824 - 12/07/11 06:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yikes. I love what they do and how they spread the coolness of science to the masses in a pretty entertaining show (though I can't stand the narrator and wish they would cut out the corny bits), but an accident was bound to happen at some point with all the crazy shit they pull.

Frankly I'm surprised Jamie didn't die when they decided to test out their Nitrous Oxide powered rocket in the shop and ended up catching almost half the fucking building on fire while he was inside it.

And of course I'm reminded of when the rocket powered car they were going to jump off a ramp out in the middle of the desert exploded when the rocket motors failed.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: casket]
    #15478831 - 12/07/11 06:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Love the show.

i borrowed every episode from the  public library and had a mythbusters marathon las month :laugh:

Only thing is that they are special FX artists not scientists and a lot of their experiments and conclusions are flawed and false.

then people site mythbusters in debates as if they are legit scientists and not TV entertainers.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Shins]
    #15478854 - 12/07/11 06:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sure they all have backgrounds in special effects, but that doesn't mean they don't know shit about science.

In fact, science plays an extremely important role in special effects. Of course all that's on the show is now 100% accurate, but the fact that they are more than willing to revisit myths they have tested and busted when viewers ask them to, speaks volumes for their character.

And you've got to admit, the vast majority of the shit they pull off would be impossible for just any regular run of the mill joe schmoe to do.

And when they get results, they do a very good job of explaining the science behind what and why it's happening.

Plus, you gotta love it when Tori hurts himself, which seems to happen at least 3-4 times a season.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Edited by WakeboardrB (12/07/11 06:46 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #15478887 - 12/07/11 06:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

why doesnt the news ever carry stories like this :smirk:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19483521

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15478911 - 12/07/11 07:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

They probably will pick it up in the next day or two.

I mean shit, the members of one of the most popular and long running shows on Discovery fires a fucking cannon ball through someones house and car. It'll be all over the news in the next few days.

--------------------

Edited by WakeboardrB (12/07/11 07:08 AM)

InvisibleMad_Larkin

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: WakeboardrB] * 2
    #15478926 - 12/07/11 07:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing was killed? What a disapointment.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Mad_Larkin]
    #15478958 - 12/07/11 07:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:
Sure they all have backgrounds in special effects, but that doesn't mean they don't know shit about science.

In fact, science plays an extremely important role in special effects. Of course all that's on the show is now 100% accurate, but the fact that they are more than willing to revisit myths they have tested and busted when viewers ask them to, speaks volumes for their character.

And you've got to admit, the vast majority of the shit they pull off would be impossible for just any regular run of the mill joe schmoe to do.

And when they get results, they do a very good job of explaining the science behind what and why it's happening.

Plus, you gotta love it when Tori hurts himself, which seems to happen at least 3-4 times a season.

id say 1/2 to 2/3 of the experiments and conclusions are legit.

the rest they do things like; neglect proper controls, lack proper materials and design, neglect or dont see alternative explanations and conclusions etc.

its entertaining, shoddy science made for television.

but i love it.

:laugh:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #15478974 - 12/07/11 07:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

alternative explanations?
like the supernatural, ghosts and :ancientaliens:

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: WakeboardrB] * 1
    #15478976 - 12/07/11 07:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Mad_Larkin]
    #15478990 - 12/07/11 07:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I just hope this doesn't fuck up their insurance and kill the show. I know in the past, the show's insurance company prevented them from doing several things that they deemed too dangerous, only to reverse their decision later and allow the "experiments" to happen.

But something like this accident, I really hope it doesn't hurt the show.

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#15479030 - 12/07/11 07:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
Quote:

WakeboardrB said:

id say 1/2 to 2/3 of the experiments and conclusions are legit.

the rest they do things like; neglect proper controls, lack proper materials and design, neglect or dont see alternative explanations and conclusions etc.

its entertaining, shoddy science made for television.

but i love it.

:laugh:

Well keep in mind, they have to work with the materials and methods that are available to them and I believe the genuinely try to replicate it as accurately as they possibly can. Also remember, the show is heavily edited to fit in it's 42 minute time slot (commercials take up the rest of the hour). So who knows what was left on the editing room floor. Plus of course it's a show geared towards kids and young adults. They have to dumb it down a certain amount just so they can properly explain what's going on to the masses.

And I feel compelled to bring up the tests they did about submerging a car in water to test the myth that the car has to be fully submerged in water to equalize pressure and allow the door to be opened. They received MULTIPLE letters of people that were able to save their lives after accidents that ended up with their car submerged in water. That episode alone turned out to save many peoples lives.

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#15479191 - 12/07/11 08:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ah thats a good example and i liked that episode.

adam made a flawed experiment in the shop to test if you could roll a window down and falsely concluded its impossible without even testing it in the actual car.

he put weights on a door window turned on its side and neglected to factor in friction in his experiment and made a false conclusion.

they often do stuff like that and make false conclusions and i yell at the tv a lot when they do.

also they never examined the leaked NASA reels showing the crew of apollo 11 faking shots of being close to the moon by blacking out the cabin and filming the earth through a small round window complete with cardboard cutout night/day divider on the moon landing episide.

that one got me going :laugh: haha

--------------------

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
    #15479205 - 12/07/11 08:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

just because they get certian results dosen't meant that it's the exact answer to the myth

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15479453 - 12/07/11 09:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
why doesnt the news ever carry stories like this :smirk:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19483521

It's been on CNN for the past 5 hrs 30 min.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/12/07/dnt-cannonball-stunt-goes-wrong.kgo

--------------------

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #15479524 - 12/07/11 10:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WakeboardrB said:
I just hope this doesn't fuck up their insurance and kill the show. I know in the past, the show's insurance company prevented them from doing several things that they deemed too dangerous, only to reverse their decision later and allow the "experiments" to happen.

But something like this accident, I really hope it doesn't hurt the show.

DING DING DING DING, Gutter Tell Him what he's Won

THIS IS THE END OF MYTHBUSTERS!!!!

REPEAT...

THIS IS THE END OF MYTHBUSTERS!!!!

This is California, the folks who own that property are going to sue the shit out of MythBusters, including the Network and probably the county.  Is Dublin in Contra Costa County; up by Martinez, fuzzy memory but ~240mg OxyCodone can do that to you.

By the time all the dust settles they probably won't be able to afford the insurance.  And the insurance companies will make sure of that.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: Its Pat]
    #15479547 - 12/07/11 10:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Near Pleasanton, between Hayward and Livermore.

I have not been able to watch Mythbusters in the last few seasons.
I think the show has turned to suck.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Mythbusters accidentally shoot a cannon ball into a house [Re: 4runner]
    #15479613 - 12/07/11 10:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I dunno, they've pulled off a lot of cool shit in the past few seasons.

I wonder if they'll talking about firing a cannon ball straight through someones house and into a mini van across the street. :rofl:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]