Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

insomnia
    #1544858 - 05/13/03 01:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've had insomnia for about a week or so. I get around 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night (or none at all), or maybe a couple hours of half-awake dreaming. I was just wondering if having insomnia interferes with tripping on mushrooms? If I start taking sleeping pills of some sort, will they react with psilocybin?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: insomnia [Re: Gog]
    #1545099 - 05/13/03 02:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Many people actually find it difficult to fall asleep after a mushroom trip. I myself lay in bed for hours tossing and turning after I trip and often take sleeping pills to help me fall asleep. There's no adverse reaction with mushrooms and sleeping pills.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Re: insomnia [Re: djd586]
    #1545117 - 05/13/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mushrooms can take a pretty heavy toll on your mind and body so it's usually a good idea to get a full night of sleep. I've taken mushrooms before after having very little sleep for a few days and didn't have fun...I felt exhausted the whole time but I couldn't sleep. The next day when I woke up I was running a fever and ended up being sick for about a week...I'm guessing the stress I put my body through broke down my immune system and let something else in.

As far as I know sleeping pills are fine to take. I've taken a few benadryls after a trip and had no problems, but I've never any prescription sleeping pills.

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: insomnia [Re: BitchCakes]
    #1545661 - 05/13/03 05:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I went to the doctor about the insomnia today. I should've gotten benadryl or sleeping pills (they have the same chemicals that make you drowsy) but I got valerian instead. Does this happen to have a reaction with psilocybin?

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #1545672 - 05/13/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I dont think any chemicals do except afew anti-depressants, and possibly other mental medicines.

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: insomnia [Re: DailyPot]
    #1545705 - 05/13/03 05:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Valerian is a herb, correct me if I am wrong. Mabey you mean Valium? ( Valium got it's name from valerian root because of it's similar sedating effects ) I have not heard of Doc's perscribing an herb, but once again I don't have any formal medical training so please correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: insomnia [Re: FlusH]
    #1545958 - 05/13/03 07:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

No, my doctor said perscription sleeping pills are more damaging than beneficial, and I agree with him. I got the valerian pills from a store - at the same store I saw "sleep aid" pills that have the same drowsifying chemical as benadryl, but I didn't buy it.

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

#1553803 - 05/16/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

fuck christ its been a week and half and istill have insomnia. does anyone know what to do?? its driving me nuts

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
    #1553810 - 05/16/03 01:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Liquor helps.
:smirk:

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: insomnia [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #1554143 - 05/16/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

actually it doesn't, alcohol is a stimulant and leads to restless sleep. It, along with caffine and nicotine, are some substances to aviod if you're having problems sleeping.

smoke a few bowls, that's what i recommend.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#1554197 - 05/16/03 03:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Acupuncture (Chinese medicine)

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
    #1554590 - 05/16/03 06:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Insomia......(inability to fall into deep sleep)

My advice:  Dont try barbs and benzos...hard on ur system and make me feel depressed...ugh

Take a rain check on your lifestyle....look for the following

Are you overly sensitive to caffiene?
  If you are drinking sodas/diet sodas/tea/coffee or eating chocolates..esp later  during the day can be a real bitch for some people when they are trying to fall asleep...
Ans.Try stopping all forms of caffiene...believe me its not too difficult...withdrawls occur for 3 days and then you are in the clear...
                                        Or
Limit your caffiene intake to mornings only...remember caffiene takes about 6-8 hrs to exit your system..if you are sensitive possibly more
Above applies to cigs too.
Are you geting the ol Body to do some churnin?
Get some exercise however light however irregularly twice a week is super...anytime no regularity nuthin but there is one
Caveat
Please dont exercise hardcore (ie. challenging your body physically) in the evening like anytime after 5pm.....may I repeat "may"  leave you too stimulated to sleep !...cause intense exercise causes release of adrenalin/noradrenalin if you are european and EPINEPHRINE/NOREPINEPHRINE if ur american 
:grin:
(Personal Note:happens with me with running (aerobic) late in the eve even though weight training(anaerobic) late doesnt cause me insomia)

NOw to the pill popping bit:YIppies

Try melatonin
Nice little pill otc no hassles non habit forming "Maybe even good for you" type of thing...I personally like the sublingual ones works better...any way the pills half life is like 56 mins. Its like in and out of you...kinda like LSD, its the trigger not the agent..in this case melatonin...triggers the "Sleep Cascade".-dosage is like 3 to 6 mgs more wont really help...but you can try...(PM me if you have any apprehensions)
But we forgot the Caveat : You gotta help this little pill to make it work like magic may i ellaborate. There is something known as your archadian clock (musta heard about it) which basically learns the rythm of the sun going up and down So when its dark your body thinks time to sleep and releases its own melatonin...now when you eat the pill your body gets the same signal so make SURE its dark and cool and viola it works like magic...also taking it the same time everyday is preferable cause then your body will learn when its gotta sleep...and soon you will sleep w/o the pill...takes maybe 2 weeks for everything to fall into place.

Try L-tryptophan
This is a naturally occuring essential amino acids ( in milk in copius amounts)...no hassles if you are in europe but FDA banned it in the US because of some stupid beaurocracy..Like whats new :cool: (Makes for a cute story though)...anyways you can mail order it from anywhere try the net....
Caveat :Sorrry the caveats always there with the the stuff you have to help work...in this case you have to be empty stomach for the most benifit 

Try ZMA my fav.!
Zinc Magnesium aspartate basically just fast absorbing zinc and magesium love the sleep it gives me plus these minerals are definately good atheletes use it to sleep better and have noted increases it Testosterone levels (cause you sleep well mostly)...In fact anyone can try it say after a trip, you will get up feeling refreshed and repaired...I tried EAS Zma hp...little expensive but they have the original stuff in there...read the label you'll know what i am saying...
sorry  Caveat Got to be light stomach before you have 'em cause same thing absorption is beter....

Do you want to sleep?
Sorry I know I am sounding rather rhetorical :laugh:.....But it goes like this  Dont try too hard :crazy:  

Read some thing mundane like a fav. mag....

May you sleep tight and let the bed bugs not bite.....   

Peace and love
Metamountain

Edited by MetaMountain (05/16/03 08:06 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Valerian Root

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience