Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Signs of Addiction
    #1542937 - 05/12/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Signs and Symptoms of Addiction.

When you drink or use drugs, does it take more or less to get you drunk or high than it used to? (Increasing or decreasing tolerance is a sign of addiction.)

Do you ever drink or use more than you intended to? (This indicates loss of control over your use.)

Do you make sure you have a supply of drugs or always keep a bottle on hand? (Do you call the dealer before your stash is gone, drive across town at rush hour to refill that prescription, or lay in a case on Saturday night so you'll have it when the liquor stores are closed on Sunday? Preoccupation with supply is a characteristic of addiction.)

Do you have blackouts or brownouts - forget what you have done or said, or "lose time" after drinking or using? (Blackouts are indicative of late stage alcoholism or addiction.)

Do you ever drink or use drugs after waking up to reduce anxiety or cope with a hangover? (This indicates progression of addiction, hangovers are actually the onset of withdrawal.)

Do you ever find yourself wishing for a drink or drug to calm down or steady yourself? (This indicates preoccupation and self medication, as well as progression of addiction, as what prompts this is often physical withdrawal symptoms.)

Do you ever drink when taking prescription medications which advise against drinking alcohol? (This shows powerlessness over your drinking. It is also very dangerous.)

Have you ever gone to work or school drunk or high? (This indicates powerlessness and unmanageability in your life.)

Do you have a history of relationships with addicts or alcoholics? (Codependent alcoholics and addicts often unconsciously find addicted partners - it allows them a smoke screen to hide behind. "I may drink or use, but I'm not like them.")

Do you find yourself using alcohol, drugs or sex to reduce anxiety or help you sleep? (Addicts medicate emotional pain, anxiety and fear. Benzodiazapine based anti anxiety drugs (Xanex, Valium etc.) are highly addictive. Most sleeping meds are very addictive, and often have a paradoxical effect - making sleep disturbances worse with continued use.)

When prescribed medication, do you take more than prescribed? ("If one is good - two is better", this belief is at the center of addictive thinking.)

Have friends, family or loved ones ever commented on or expressed concern about your use? (Addicts are usually the last to recognize their disease - denial is an automatic and unconscious component of addiction. If you insist that you don't have a problem you probably do! If this makes you angry - ask yourself why?)

Do you conceal your use from family, friends, therapists or loved ones, or "edit" stories involving your drinking or using?(Secretiveness, denial and lies about use are characteristic of active addicts and alcoholics.)

Do you ever drink or use alone? (Indicates you are not a "social" drinker. Also, isolation and a feeling of "being different" or "not fitting in" are a common personality trait of addicts / alcoholics.)

Do you do or say things you later regret when drinking or using? (Impaired judgement from drinking or using indicate powerlessness over use. Behavioral changes when drinking or using are a sign of progression, loss of control and late stage addiction.)

Have you ever had a DUI, driven drunk, or had a drug or alcohol related accident or injury? Have you slept in your car, or away from home because you were too drunk to drive? Are you relieved when someone else drives so you are free to drink or use? (Drinking and driving indicates powerlessness over use, and is a part of the unmanageability of active addiction.

Have you ever stopped or cut back on drinking or using because you felt it was causing problems in your life? (Life difficulties around use indicate a problem - many alcoholics and addicts temporarily modify their patterns of using in an effort to prove to themselves that they have control of their use. Non-alcoholics don't need to prove they are in control! Stopping drinking or use for a period is usually not difficult, staying abstinent from all mood altering substances for long periods is nearly impossible for untreated addicts.

Is your life increasingly chaotic and turbulent? (Unmanagability is indicated by accidents, missed appointments, unpaid / late bills and rent, work and relationship difficulties, a generalized sense of desperation, and pervasive sadness or anger. A life out of control is often traceable to the progression of addiction. Addicts typically project their unmanagability outward - blaming everything but the addiction for their problems. Addicts drink or use because they are addicted. Difficult life events may trigger addictive acting out - but they are not the cause of an addict's use.

Do you switch from one substance to another, or change drinks in an effort to regain control? (Switch from Scotch to Beer? Stop drinking but start taking pills? Give up marijuana but start drinking? Quit drinking but become sexually promiscuous? This is called cross addiction.)

Do you believe you're not an addict because your drug of choice is legal or prescribed?(Go ask Elvis about this one! Many Medical Doctors are shockingly unaware of addiction issues, and of the addictive nature of many commonly prescribed drugs.)

Are you losing friends or have trouble keeping friends?(Often losing friends is a sign of addiction, often friends can't stand being around you and give up on you.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: Thor]
    #1542983 - 05/12/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

More on Denial

Denial is the PRIMARY psychological symptom of addiction. It is an automatic and unconscious component of addictions. Addicts are often the last to recognize their disease, pursuing their addictions into the gates of insanity, the collapse of health and ultimately death. Sadly, many addicts continue to act out on their addictions while their world collapses around them - blaming everything but the addiction for their problems.

Denial is one of the reasons that recovery from addictions is seldom effective if the chemically dependent person is forced into treatment. You cannot work on a problem unless you accept that it exists.

Step One of Alcoholics Anonymous deals with working through our denial, allowing us to accept our powerlessness over addictions and the chaos and unmanagability they bring into our lives. (This is just one of the curious and beautiful things about recovery - in acknowledging powerlessness the addict is empowered to lead a healthy life.)

Active alcoholism and addiction are characterized by a struggle to control use. Addicts resent the suggestion they are powerless until things get so bad they are forced to face their addiction. Sadly, some alcoholic / addicts never break through their denial, and continue use to the point of insanity and death.

There are many subtypes of denial, including projection, ("I don't have a problem - you have a problem.") rationalization, ("I drink because of my crummy job / life / wife /parents etc.") intellectualization, (being too much "in your head" about your problems) minimizing, (sure I drink a few beers each day, but it's not a problem") suppression, (forcing down memories of our using behavior and consequences of use) withdrawing, (leaving relationships, jobs, etc. rather than face our problems.) geographic escapes (my life is unmanagable - but it'll get better if I move to another place.)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1547067 - 05/14/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: World Spirit]
    #1548721 - 05/14/03 04:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It certainly is, I found it on a substance abuse website and found many of the points well explained. Just thought considering all the young people dealing with abuse problems that it would be important to have a thread like this in the forum.

I have someone close to me that I printed this out for, and he was pretty stunned by how many points of this were describing his life.

If anyone reads this and thinks twice then the post has done its job I think. Because the line between addiction and safe use can be blurry for so many people.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #1548972 - 05/14/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Great post Thor!

I made it sticky Im sure the information will be very useful to our members.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: Ripple]
    #1560280 - 05/19/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You hit me right in the croch with this one Thor. But please, I think if members are honest , at least the ones smoking up for a few years, they will find a lot of these points cohering for themselves. 8Or is it just me??!!  :confused:

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineBlowMiNose
Some rise, Somefall, Some climb

Loc: The Dirty South...
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1563154 - 05/20/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah...im sad to say that i show all signs of addiction. Not that this is any news to me... but its still depressing. I hope to one day exit the hell of addiction

--------------------
***--- Have You Opened Your Third eye?! ---***
      :::disclaimer:::this stuff was done in my dreams

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: BlowMiNose]
    #1564528 - 05/20/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Which drug does it apply for to you?
I dont know why, but with weed Id say its normal to have these symptoms!

--------------------

OfflineBlowMiNose
Some rise, Somefall, Some climb

Loc: The Dirty South...
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1567255 - 05/21/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It applys to more than just weed...but I don't feel like going into further detail at this moment. Thank you for your concern.

--------------------
***--- Have You Opened Your Third eye?! ---***
      :::disclaimer:::this stuff was done in my dreams

OfflineBillowz
Fellow Shaman
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: BlowMiNose]
    #1586502 - 05/28/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This pretty much applies to me with weed, but I find it more of a mental addiction like omg it's good I can't stop, rather than feeling physically withdrawn from the substance ie. I crave it, or i NEED it now kind of thing.

For me it's just really, really, really fun and enjoyable, I guess this is the same as people being addicted to sex.

The good part is I've tried stopping myself and it work for 2 weeks anyways? I think I'm going to try and cut back, the money flow is running low anyways.

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: Billowz]
    #1587533 - 05/29/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

As for me, most people I know say that they are not addicted to cannabis, but farmore , just as you said, it enhances there pleasure. But just let me ask you one thing:
Can you watch a film, without saying "damn, being smoked up this would be so much better". If the answer is no, well then your just as addicted to it as me. In my eyes its not a harsh addiction, as you flash decreases over the years, and so it doesnt affect your everyday life, as for instance an alcohol-addiction would. My problems is simply the expense of smoking 2 - 3 grams a day...

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1604624 - 06/03/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think the true sign of addiction is when a drug becomes your life and you live for that drug instead of using said drug to enhance your life.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinematt_visionary
Stranger
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: monoamine]
    #1625836 - 06/11/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think especially this with the denial part is pretty weird ...
So basically if you ask someone, are you addicted to XXX if they answer yes, they are obviously an addict. But if they answer No they are even MORE obviously an addict ... I mean fuck man.
I really really do think that when you have a serious addiction you will recognize yourself ... I dont think you will keep on denying it.

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: matt_visionary]
    #1645868 - 06/19/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thats part of the problem with the cult of addiction. Its a catch 22 and a bunch of bullshit. For instance, the denial part. You are an addict if you do admit it and an addict if you deny it. You are also an addict if you can't quit, and you are an addict if you CAN quit. You are an addict if you get high one week, then get drunk the next. You are an addict if you get drunk only. You are an addict if you drink too much and blackout. Isn't that a physical affect of the chemical you are ingesting? Its not some pseudo-scientific sign of addiction, it means YOU DRANK TOO MUCH. What kind of nonsense is that?

Addiction is a personality disorder. It is not a disease, its not some cushy feel good I am powerless crap. Every human being has total control over their excesses and the things they do every single day. Period. Eating disorders are not diseases. Alcoholism is not a disease. Heroin addiction is not a disease. They are symptoms of a fucked up life and psychological makeup. They are not the cause of it, they are a sympton.

Anyway, thats my take on this. I just have to shake my head at these guys I know who haven't had a drink in 30 years who call themselves alcoholics. Yeah I guess when you join a cult you truly believe their crap.

Oh, and I'm a total addict, obviously, because I don't submit to the mind games! And sometimes I like a beer, and sometimes I like a glass of wine. Ahhhh I'm an addict! I'm in denial.... lol

That above list is in no way any kind of truth about addiction. All these "signs". Whateeeeever.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: calicyco]
    #1755765 - 07/28/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Thats part of the problem with the cult of addiction. Its a catch 22 and a bunch of bullshit. For instance, the denial part. You are an addict if you do admit it and an addict if you deny it.

Thats just silly. You are an addict if you are physically or emotionally reliant on a drug. Denial is only one of the 'signs' of addiction, because there is so much more to it than simply a denial.

Quote:

You are also an addict if you can't quit, and you are an addict if you CAN quit.

Yes you are an addict if you can't quit, thus the term addiction. You are an addict from that point on in your life because once you develop an addiction to a substance you can't ever do it again for fear of falling back deep into addiction.

Quote:

You are an addict if you get high one week, then get drunk the next. You are an addict if you get drunk only. You are an addict if you drink too much and blackout.

What are you talking about? Addiction is not if you drink or get high, its when you abuse them and rely on the drugs/alcohol daily to the point where its your only focus.

Quote:

Isn't that a physical affect of the chemical you are ingesting? Its not some pseudo-scientific sign of addiction, it means YOU DRANK TOO MUCH. What kind of nonsense is that?

Drinking too much once in a while is not a sign of addiction, its definately a sign of control issues, and yes if you drink to blacking out everytime you drink you are certainly heading down a dangerous road. I have no idea why you think this is nonesense, its pretty straight forward logic, you certainly are missing the point here.

Quote:

Addiction is a personality disorder. It is not a disease, its not some cushy feel good I am powerless crap. Every human being has total control over their excesses and the things they do every single day. Period.

This is true, however addiction comes with signs of it, and thats what this post was about, to remind people of the warning signs of the personality disorder.. Or do you think nobody shows any signs of addiction??

Quote:

Eating disorders are not diseases. Alcoholism is not a disease. Heroin addiction is not a disease. They are symptoms of a fucked up life and psychological makeup. They are not the cause of it, they are a sympton.

What has this to do with the signs of addiction? This is the issue some people debate about whether addiction is a physical or psychological disease or disorder.. Its most commonly agreed that its a psychological disorder and not a disease. Each person makes choices to drink or not to drink.. Sometimes the addiction blinds you, but ultimately choices were made to get to that point.

Quote:

Anyway, thats my take on this. I just have to shake my head at these guys I know who haven't had a drink in 30 years who call themselves alcoholics. Yeah I guess when you join a cult you truly believe their crap.

Well that is your take, and I'm sorry to say that I feel you are very misguided in your view on addiction. If your friends who haven't had a drink in 30yrs took a drink, they are very likely to become addicted on that first drink, so yeah they are totally right about being an alcoholic.. You can't just stop drinking for a while and then try again later down the road, that is just a damn risky proposition.

Quote:

Oh, and I'm a total addict, obviously, because I don't submit to the mind games! And sometimes I like a beer, and sometimes I like a glass of wine. Ahhhh I'm an addict! I'm in denial.... lol

That above list is in no way any kind of truth about addiction. All these "signs". Whateeeeever.

So people who have worked with addiction problems for decades, doctors, scientists, therapists, they are all wrong and you are right?

You couldn't be more wrong and I'm utterly shocked that you think this way. Open your eyes and try thinking about this with some logic instead of these amazingly ill-informed beliefs you have.

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1760340 - 07/29/03 05:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am disagreeing with using that list as a way to diagnose an addiction. The list is a way to diagnose a person who can fall prey to 12 step style "treatment." And yes, I am disputing the decades of conventional wisdom regarding addiction because it is a bunch of crap. Not the science behind addiction research, that is quite valid in many cases. AA meetings are not science. Psychotherapy is not science. None of that has anything to do with the biology of a physical addiction and the mentality of addiction. It has to do with the behavioral aspects of a person who ALSO is an addict. You don't diagnose whether a person has an addiction by whether or not they deny being an addict.

My disagreement is with the process that begins with people who recognoze those symptoms in themselves and then follow the proscribed action, usually a 12 step program. I am biased, I admit that, against 12 step psuedo-psychology. I do have much to base that on though. I am not an addict per se, though I have been a smoker in the past. So I have been addicted to nicotine at one point in my life. Thats about it. However, I am close to a large industry of treating addicts and know intimately how people profit from addiction. Especially getting people hooked on these programs. I do not buy in the least your statement about some guy who hasn't had a drink in 30 years who would immediately fall into alcoholism by having a drink, that is total bullshit! I know guys like this, and they are totally brain washed. If you haven't had a drink in 30 years, and you attend these insane AA meetings every week, you are addicted to AA, not alcohol. Of course, these people smoke and drink coffee like its going out of style but thats beside the point. If you have such an inability to control yourself that if you have ONE drink after 30 years then end up a raging alcoholic, then you have serious mental problems that have nothing to do with alcohol.

I do not have a misguided view of addiction. In fact, I have a very clear view of it, because I am surrounded by it. I know and have met thousands of addicts, literally. I see them come and go. I see millions of dollars being made. I see parents sending kids to the center because they caught them with a bag of weed. I see people do 12 step programs because they smoke crack. None of this fixes them, none of the supposed signs of addiction apply to the majority of these people. What does apply to many, is they have no self control and are totally irresponsible people, regardless of what substances they partake in. They can't handle their finances. They can't handle their relationships. They can't raise their kids. Not because they drink or do speed. Because they are raised by idiots who shouldn't be raising kids, they are taught in schools that dont give a shit about them, they are surrounded by a bunch of info telling them its not their fault, its hereditary, or its a disease, or whatever. Basically they are products of a society that creates their mental state. I'm not blaming society per se, just saying there are many factors that go into this and having a long list of "signs you are an addict" is rediculous.

I guess my main fault with that list is that many people who are not addicts might fit some of those patterns as well, such as blackouts or DUI's. That does not mean they are an addict, just as you could be a raging alcoholic and be totally functional and display none of those signs. Its a meaningless list, its pop-psychology and nothing more.

OfflineLaxy

Re: Signs of Addiction [Re: calicyco]
    #1813480 - 08/14/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

calicyco - This is the most intelligent posts i've ever read. You are so incredibly right about everything you said, especially the 2nd to last paragraph. Genius man, this is the kind of shit that should be published in JAMA, not this BULLSHIT problem-solution type deal that they use that generalizes EVERYONE. What I mean by the problem-solution is the same thing they do with any products. A business sells solutions, you are the one that has to realize the problem. Notice this next time you watch an infomercial, they just pile up all these problems that everyone supposedly has and you just eventually convince yourself that this product would probably make your life easier. ANyways, good job on the post, much respect mahn, jahhh.

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
    #1837973 - 08/21/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Do you ever drink or use more than you intended to?

all the time  :smirk:

actually I do, don't have an addiction though (denial :lol: ) i gave up marijuana a couple of months ago, and i must say, phew. thank god.
I spent to much money on that stuff.

Quote:

Do you have blackouts or brownouts - forget what you have done or said, or "lose time" after drinking or using? 

this happens too, dont need any drugs for that though :wink:

anyways, very nice, pretty helpful, it probably wont help people with an addiction though.

Thanks

Erik006 :wink:

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #1863143 - 08/29/03 03:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes to all the questions. Am I an addict?

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

InvisibleFloydian
veteran
Re: Signs of Addiction *DELETED* [Re: calicyco]
    #1883999 - 09/05/03 03:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Floydian

--------------------
Don't squeeze the pancake batter

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds