Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: i like cow poo]
    #15314291 - 11/02/11 06:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

i like cow poo said:
thats awesome! how often do you restock food?

It depends where the next resupply opportunity is. It could be anywhere from 1-5 days. Normally I would hold out and only stop at the really convenient places, even if it meant carrying 6-8 days' food. The trail passes near a lot of towns and even right through some towns. If the town was within 1 mile of the trail I would walk. If it was further I would hitch hike or hire a shuttle.

There are very few sections on the trail where resupply is inconvenient.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: Capers]
    #15317672 - 11/03/11 03:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm psyched to hear you made it!  I was rooting for ya!

I have a few questions

How heavy was your pack and gear in total?

What did you use for footwear? 

How did your feet/ankles/knees/back do?

What was the most challenging aspect of the hike?

Would you do it again?

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #15320684 - 11/04/11 04:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

moonrockmushy said:

How heavy was your pack and gear in total?

What did you use for footwear? 

How did your feet/ankles/knees/back do?

What was the most challenging aspect of the hike?

Would you do it again?

I started out with a pack that weighed 52 pounds (including food and water).  I had to start out with a lot of food though because the trail starts with The 100 Mile Wilderness, a section where there is little to no resupply opportunity. After getting out of The Wilderness, I dropped a lot of unnecessary gear, a process that continued throughout the trip. By the time the trip was over my pack was probably around 35 lbs. with 6 days of food and 2 liters of water.

For footwear I used Merrel Phaser Peaks for the first 1700 miles. These were traditional hiking boots that go past the ankles with Vibram grip and Goretex. I was very happy with these boots because the first pair lasted 1300 miles, but when I ordered the replacement pair I asked for 1/2 size too big. The new, bigger pair was causing me a lot of discomfort so I switched to Montrail Mountain Masochists, a trail runner shoe. I felt like a brand new hiker after switching to sneakers because they were so much lighter and comfier.

Overall my body held up well, but there was usually some lingering ache or pain. Feet caused the most problems for me. Anytime my boots were wet for an extended period of time it would result in a lot of raw spots on my feet. Also I had some tendinitis in the muscles between my foot and lower leg and possibly a slight stress fracture in one ankle. I had a problem with knees for the first month because of my heavier pack and the more difficult climbs in Maine and New Hampshire. My back never had any problems.

I think the most challenging aspect was dealing with rain. It never got real bad, but the times it would rain multiple days in a row were really hard to deal with. It's really hard on morale and it sucks when your shit gets wet.

I would definitely do the AT again, but I would first like to do some other long distance and moderate length trails like the Pacific Crest and Colorado Trails. I don't think any other trail could match the AT's social dynamic though, so I'm sure I'll re-hike it. Next time I want to go northbound just to mix it up

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #15326581 - 11/05/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Care to share any particular stories about friendship or comraderie (sp?) amongst fellow hikers?

What was the social dynamic like?

Were you able to pinpoint a certain demographic on the trail, or is a little bit of all ages, sexes, nationalities, backgrounds?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisiblegerryjarcia
biophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: the woods
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: PDU]
    #15328548 - 11/05/11 08:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

first off, congrats on the thru-hike! awesome you did the whole trail in one go.

how did you stay mentally stable throughout the journey? seems like it would be tough to stay motivated and sane when going it alone.

--------------------

"We are all intoxicated. We were born into an insane asylum, a world crazy-making. We believe what we see and hear. The real myth is the myth of sanity, of rationality: it's a disease that is eating away at the earth. All the poisons flow from our denial. We deny madness, we forget our crimes, we dismember the corpse, we imprison our children. We need poison to poison the poison, to remember the sacred nature of intoxication, the green body of the young god." ~ Dale Pendell

Offlinemundane
Comfy in Nautica

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: gerryjarcia]
    #15346234 - 11/09/11 06:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Love it!  I'm sure it was incredible.  I dream of doing the American Discovery Trail one day.

Thought of a question: how'd you handle water?

--------------------
:mushroom2: Tips for a good trip :mushroom2:

drink me

Edited by mundane (11/13/11 06:06 PM)

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: PDU]
    #15404698 - 11/21/11 07:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
Care to share any particular stories about friendship or comraderie (sp?) amongst fellow hikers?

What was the social dynamic like?

Were you able to pinpoint a certain demographic on the trail, or is a little bit of all ages, sexes, nationalities, backgrounds?

Going southbound is a completely different social dynamic than northbound because 90% of hikers go northbound. Going south, there are a lot fewer hikers around you. I hiked by myself for the first 1300 miles. For the first 1/3 of the trail I was passing a lot of northbounders. After that it got a little lonely for a while. Eventually I caught up to some other southbounders. For the last 900 miles i hiked with a group of 4 other people.  You get really close to people really fast when you're hiking together everyday and sharing the exact same experience. Me and 2 of the friends I met are still together, more than a month later on a visit to Seattle.

Almost everyone on the trail was white, but I did see a couple black people and a few Asians. Most people were either fresh out of college or retired, but there were occasional middle-agers as well. 90-95% of thru hikers are men. I met 1 Japanese, 1 Dutchmen, 3 Germans, a Frenchman and the occasional Canadian. The vast majority were American though.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: gerryjarcia] * 1
    #15404724 - 11/21/11 07:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gerryjarcia said:
first off, congrats on the thru-hike! awesome you did the whole trail in one go.

how did you stay mentally stable throughout the journey? seems like it would be tough to stay motivated and sane when going it alone.

Thank you.

For the most part it was easy to stay mentally stable. I was hiking alone for the most part, but I was still crossing people on the trail and conversing every day. Also, there were usually people to hang out with at campsites/shelters. Toward the middle of the trip I was feeling kind of lonely and overwhelmed by the distance ahead of me. I ended up meeting hiking friends after that though, and I never felt like that again.

The biggest thing was taking it day by day and not thinking about the great distance. Whenever I got to a nice view point I would remind myself how fortunate I was to have this opportunity, and that helped.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: mundane]
    #15404744 - 11/21/11 07:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mundane said:
Love it!  I'm sure it was incredible.  I dream of doing the American Discovery Trail one day.

Thought of a question: how'd you handle water?

I don't know much about the American Discovery Trail

Water was easy for the most part. I used a pump filter for the first 1700 miles, but dropped that to save weight. For the last 500 miles I used chemical drops to treat the water. Over the vast majority of the trail streams and springs are plentiful. My guidebook said where upcoming water sources were so it was usually easy to plan.

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mother Nature's Vagina
    #15404880 - 11/21/11 07:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

any pictures?
what guide book did you get? I might do this once I graduate college:awesomenod:

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: i like cow poo]
    #15405614 - 11/21/11 10:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wow this sounds so amazing. I would really love to do this after I graduate. I should do the Superior Hiking Trail and maybe some PCT this summer to prepare and see if I'm up for a thru-hike or a section hike of the AT.

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Re: Introducing My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike [Re: bryguy27007]
    #15423465 - 11/25/11 07:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

i like cow poo said:
any pictures?
what guide book did you get? I might do this once I graduate college:awesomenod:

I haven't uploaded any of the pics yet, but I will post the best of the best on Shroomery and post a link to the full slide show. I don't have the flash drive with me, so it'll be a few weeks.

I got the ALDHA Thru Hikers Companion, put out by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. That was good and the other guide book is good too.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom