Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
fast food/ personal responsibility
    #1540544 - 05/12/03 02:22 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

so I'm writing this paper on the fast food industry. I'm supposed to make an argument for or against fast food being immoral. alot of the same issues that come up in this argument also are frequently used in drug legalization arguments... basically asking where the line ought to be drawn on individual rights. I'm arguing that implied consent is necessary (according to adam smith) for a moral business or government, and that alot of people are too stupid to give that consent. This, of course, makes the case for legalization harder, since there are alot of dumb drug users. I was wondering if some of you could provide justification for drug legalization while still condeming fast food. My thinking on these issues seems utilitarian, that is, I just don't like fast food cause I think that it hurts the common good, whereas the drugs that I like help it, and that sending non violent drug offenders to prison also hurts the common good. I don't like falling back to that liine of argument though.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
Re: fast food/ personal responsibility [Re: Malachi]
    #1540600 - 05/12/03 02:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Have you read "Fast Food Nation"?

--------------------

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: fast food/ personal responsibility [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #1540613 - 05/12/03 02:48 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, that was one of the texts required for the class. Schlosser is a really smart guy, he wrote this article about marijuana that won a pulitzer I think. His new book is called reefer madness, prostitution and labor (or something like that, all I really remember was the reefer madness part) . Fast Food Nation doesn't really make a philosophic argument though, it just provides backing for one.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
    #1540628 - 05/12/03 02:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Capitalism seems to be the root of evil nowadays

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1540634 - 05/12/03 02:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Malachi: I'm arguing that implied consent is necessary (according to adam smith) for a moral business or government, and that alot of people are too stupid to give that consent. This, of course, makes the case for legalization harder, since there are alot of dumb drug users.

Hmm... that's a very interesting point... especially the implied consent part...

I was wondering if some of you could provide justification for drug legalization while still condeming fast food.

Methinks that would require some fuzzy logic... freedom allowed here... freedom not allowed here...

My thinking on these issues seems utilitarian, that is, I just don't like fast food cause I think that it hurts the common good, whereas the drugs that I like help it, and that sending non violent drug offenders to prison also hurts the common good.

Fast food is affordable and fast (duh!)... perfect for the efficient lives of modern man. Change the life = change the demand

I don't like falling back to that liine of argument though.

Yeah, I think utilitarianism basically boils down to the fallacy of "appeal to common practice"... but I could be wrong there.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinesuperfine
Driter

Loc: My Home Roams
    #1540642 - 05/12/03 03:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When drugs are legalized, there should be no advertising for them allowed. This could be accomplished under the guise of protecting the children or whatever the legislation wants to hear. The true reason behind the advertising ban is simply that advertising is plain evil. Its not like money will not be made off of drugs without advertising... ex/ people are buying drugs without advertising at the moment. Without advertisements fast food would be 10x less immoral and one could argue that any people going to the restaurants would be going on their own free will (or at least more so).

--------------------
Go through the orange yesterday

I watched intently for a while to both sides, infront of me and behind me.
I was impressed to learn there was another way to look... UP!
More impressive still was the fact that there were beautiful stars in this direction
Most amazing fact of all was the prospect of another direction when I was done with up. DOWN! Which, based on the feel through my toes would be a fine sandy beach!

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: fast food/ personal responsibility [Re: superfine]
    #1540774 - 05/12/03 03:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, that would work well if my topic was more narrow, but I've got to argue against the industry as a whole.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology