Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lighters   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Words in the wind * 1
    #1539182 - 05/11/03 04:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For whatever reason, you decide to attempt mushroom cultivation.

First & foremost, it requires PATIENCE & TIME.

Second, if you want to keep the matter PRIVATE, TELL NO ONE.

Third, it requires learning beforehand. The difficulty a novice faces in beginning to learn is wading through all the available information on the subject matter. Doing so is fraught with pitfalls. Simply because there is a massive amount of information available, some of which is misleading, not factual or simply words spewed out by someone who thinks they know what they are talking about, when in fact, they don't.

Thanks to the efforts of so many who have gone before us, the MOTHERSHIP OF FACTUAL INFORMATION IS RIGHT HERE:

REFER TO THE FAQ & the maze you have wandered into becomes shorter, and the means to the end you seek will become clear

You can wander the boards, read threads until your eyes ache & find no better information than exists in the FAQ. The information in the FAQ, is there because it is FACTUAL. Otherwise, it would not be there.

The first hurdle all novices face is that to cultivate mushrooms, you MUST have "spores".  The first issue is where to get them & what strain.

Wise people acquire spores from a reputable ESTABLISHED SOURSES. The VENDOR FORUM HERE, is just that. Vendors here face the daily critique of their products & services by their customers, in public posts. While others -elsewhere- do not. Think about that. Word of mouth, from those who have purchased & used Vendor products is the best advice you can get. Because it is tried & true, straight from those who have used the product.

Now, the proverbial question of which STRAIN to start with. There is no easy answer. If spores are clean & viable, under proper conditions, they all work. While open to many variables, my suggestion is to start with a strain that is native to your hemisphere. Given, that they grow naturally under conditions that you should be able to mimic. Others, from other hemispheres may thrive under conditions that that are not as easy to mimic.

A word to the wise is to buy several syringes of whatever strain you decide to begin with. Then, use one syringe to begin & save the others, so they are readily available, should your first attempt fail. As we all know, "shit" happens.

Now, what TEK to start with?

All who enter these forums have without doubt often visited the "grow Log & picture " forum. There, we all have seen huge flushes of differing strains, grown by various methods.

A natural inclination is to think "I want to do that". Simply because the grower made it sound, and look easy & achieved very significant yields.

Stop for a moment & realize, those grow logs and/or pictures are most often posted by experienced cultivators, using advanced methods, under optimal conditions.

You (as a novice) are NOT experienced, you are NOT familiar with (or, not yet capable of) advanced methods & most probably will NOT have optimal growing conditions in the beginning.

Given that fact, a novice is wise to start with a simple TEK, under simple conditions.

The simplest "proven" TEK  is PF style cakes. Classic PF style cakes require the least amount of equipment, material & space. Those who plan to begin with some untried new TEK, without a pictorial of the process, end results & numerous critiques by others, will most often FAIL. Just as we all learn to crawl before we walk, start with an established TEK that has long standing proven results.

REFER TO THE FAQ, FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH IT, THEN USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION to find answers about things that may puzzle you, before you start asking questions in the forums. About every conceivable question has been asked & answered BEFORE. That information is readily AVAILABLE, at your fingertips, if you take the time to look for it.

If you do not have the PATIENCE to study the FAQ, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, STUDY EXISTING POSTS & REVIEW THE VENDOR forum before asking questions. Mushroom cultivation may not be for you. Because it requires PATIENCE, STUDY, DILIGENCE, TRIAL & ERROR, before you get results.

In other words, learn to crawl, then walk, then run. Those who attempt to run before they are well versed in walking, most often fail. Once you have the basic techniques you decide to use mastered, then step up to more advanced procedures.

There are many knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to give you sound advice, as you learn to master the basics. Their time & efforts are on a volunteer basis. Please do not waste that time they so graciously give, with questions whose answers are right in front of you. If, you take the time to look.

That said, mushroom cultivation is as easy as you yourself make it.  Anyone who applies themselves can generally reach any stage, or yield they desire.

6T  :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: Words in the wind [Re: SixTango]
    #1539193 - 05/11/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, good post, should help a good ammount of people.

Oh, and 6T, since I'm making this post anyway, I figured I would ask you, I innoculated my first 8 jars last night. When I flame steralized the syringe, I took my lighter up and down the metal tip, I never let it turn red though, but I did keep the lighter on it for a good 6-8 seconds, and it got a black film on it. Also, I only let it cool down for about 5-10 seconds, is this going to be ok? *Crosses fingers*

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Words in the wind [Re: Dank420]
    #1539262 - 05/11/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Flaming needles with a "bic" type lighter is not a good procedure. As it leaves black soot on the needle, which should be wiped off with an alc swab. A alc lamp is far better. That said, you still should be fine. Even when the needle is at a temp above the kill zone for spores, the first squirt out of it, cools the needle down enough that the remaining content & squirts should be viable.

6T  :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
    #1539625 - 05/11/03 08:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yay! I'll deffinitly look into an alcohol lamp. Thanks!

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Words in the wind [Re: Dank420]
    #1539909 - 05/11/03 10:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just pour a little alcohol into a shot glass and dip a knife tip in and ingnite the knife tip.
Then use that to ignite the shot glass.
It should burn plenty long enough to sterilyze your needle several times between jars. :grin:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (05/11/03 10:57 PM)

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
    #1540093 - 05/11/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

6T...

Good idea for guidance, 75 views so far and rising, hopefully seen by many newbies....

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Offlineattar
journeyman
Re: Words in the wind [Re: Mike Elium]
    #1543572 - 05/13/03 01:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent information. Thank you.

Offlinechillywilly
Eat well - Diethome
Loc: 49 th State
Re: Words in the wind [Re: attar]
    #1545001 - 05/13/03 02:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Very fine words of wisdom from 6 T for the great advice to the newbies I wonder how I could get my kids to read this without them figuring out my friend likes shrooms.

OfflineVel
mushroom pimphandler
Re: Words in the wind [Re: chillywilly]
    #1545384 - 05/13/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

make it a sticky thread

OfflineRobbyrob
Cubensis seeker

Loc: Earth
Re: Words in the wind [Re: Vel]
    #1545480 - 05/13/03 04:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

good stuff....

remember the key.. patience young jedi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lighters   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive