Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #15318766 - 11/03/11 06:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Where?  I said "I doubt" and that is in no way definitive.

:shrug:

The reply in kind was sarcasm so maybe he could see how silly it is to make a definitive statement like that. .  I was in no way being serious. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: Icelander]
    #15319046 - 11/03/11 07:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I was in no way being serious. 

Oh Ok. Hard to tell sarcasm via the interweb.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #15319326 - 11/03/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

it seems to me that consciousness is exactly what controls the emergent brain functions.  Like, your will.  What is that? It's a very intimate drive and I essentially equate it with the soul, as dynamic consciousness.  With more and more awareness it becomes possible to control your brain functioning with your own will more and more.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: g00ru]
    #15320479 - 11/04/11 01:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's almost like we just want to be happy, but we're unable to see all that involves is just being happy.

Immortality, longetivity, or whatever nonsense we've cooked up, is irrelevant.

See: Ramana Maharshi.

I think I said it ages ago but I'm surely getting close to what these sages were on about.

A bit of a snag is - why me? How did I do it? But that's the simplicity of it, the stark absurdity of it - I had it all along, no one doesn't have it. There's no way to conceptualise it, to make it clear to somebody else.

There isn't even a game.

Just give up, be happy, go do the laundry.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: circastes]
    #15320747 - 11/04/11 05:41 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Just give up, be happy, go do the laundry.:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinehusmmoor
Invitro

Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: Chronic7]
    #15328644 - 11/05/11 08:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Chronic said:
The universe being conscious of itself

IYO is anything greater than this?

Quote:

c0sm0nautt said:
Is there anything other than this?

Yes there is something greater: the universe not being conscious of itself.

What is the universe conscious of now, if not of the universe. There is no answer to that. So leave it be. And remain there.

If you want to know about this then study Nisargadatta Maharaj. His is the most succinct statement there is of "what is, prior to consciousness".

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: husmmoor]
    #15329959 - 11/06/11 03:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

husmmoor said:
Quote:

The Chronic said:
The universe being conscious of itself

IYO is anything greater than this?

Quote:

c0sm0nautt said:
Is there anything other than this?

Yes there is something greater: the universe not being conscious of itself.

What is the universe conscious of now, if not of the universe. There is no answer to that. So leave it be. And remain there.

If you want to know about this then study Nisargadatta Maharaj. His is the most succinct statement there is of "what is, prior to consciousness".

in what way is it greater for the universe to remain unaware of itself as opposed to being aware? this shit fascinates me, that there could be this type of debate... i don't have any answers so i listen... it seems you've discovered something... tell me why it's better that the universe have no awareness...

intellectuals from science and philosophy have been mixing it up for a while now... if they felt it was a waste of time maybe they might not be doing it... i doubt you have all the answers... you said: "What is the universe conscious of now, if not of the universe.", exactly! what's not to debate? you said nisargadatta maharaj said: "what is, prior to consciousness" exactly! that's why there is debate... think deeper man, c'mon, you can do it!...

Kensho :psychsplit:

Edited by cateyes (11/06/11 03:46 AM)

InvisibleChronic7
    #15330013 - 11/06/11 04:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

husmmoor said:

I love Nissy, he was such a moody ol bastard aswell, gotta love a take no shit style sage :crankey:
Thanks for recommending him :thumbup:

When i say 'The universe being conscious of itself' im basically saying the same thing, pointing to that true Self-existence which is prior to the false phantom of ego-consciousness arising. the Self  'is'  prior to any consciousness of itself, but it being aware of/conscious of itself (or conscious of what it is not - neti neti/self inquiry) is the closest contemplation to that realization, without that there is no realization, to be even more pedantic we can then say that the Self is what it is prior to any realization of itself, which is true, but is the experience of that truly felt in the Heart? :wink:

That is what is important & why i say the universe being conscious of itself is the greatest, as its an exercise that will naturally take the mind beyond dualistic consciousness 'into' the eternal.

--------------------

Offlinehusmmoor
Invitro

Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: cateyes]
    #15346042 - 11/09/11 06:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cateyes said:
in what way is it greater for the universe to remain unaware of itself as opposed to being aware? this shit fascinates me, that there could be this type of debate... i don't have any answers so i listen... it seems you've discovered something... tell me why it's better that the universe have no awareness...

intellectuals from science and philosophy have been mixing it up for a while now... if they felt it was a waste of time maybe they might not be doing it... i doubt you have all the answers... you said: "What is the universe conscious of now, if not of the universe.", exactly! what's not to debate? you said nisargadatta maharaj said: "what is, prior to consciousness" exactly! that's why there is debate... think deeper man, c'mon, you can do it!...

Kensho :psychsplit:

My starting point and perspective as well as Chronic's perspective (as he put it in the nice post just before) is different from science. Science starts out with some idea of nothing or intert basic matter and then asks "how did we get from there to where we are now?". From that perspective it's totally amazing that the universe has developed from some ignorant unconscious lump of atomic dogshit to the point of complicated biological and philosophical creatures like humans, who are appreciating the cosmos in all it's glory: we ARE the cosmos and we are aware.

The starting point of Nisargadatta Maharaj could be said to be our experience as it unfolds RIGHT NOW, and then he's moving back from where we are now to a point which, according to his analysis is the basic vantage point of the universe. But this is phenomenology, psychology and philosophy not physics and cosmology.

So basically it's just a totally different idea. It's not that Nisargadatta is really disagreeing with science, it's more that he just has a totally different interest.  :smile:

Pick up his "I am that" or search google if you're interested. actually practically all his books are available for free online if you search a bit. But particularly "I am that" is a classic worth owning.

Quote:

The Chronic said:I love Nissy, he was such a moody ol bastard aswell, gotta love a take no shit style sage :crankey:
Thanks for recommending him :thumbup:

When i say 'The universe being conscious of itself' im basically saying the same thing, pointing to that true Self-existence which is prior to the false phantom of ego-consciousness arising. the Self  'is'  prior to any consciousness of itself, but it being aware of/conscious of itself (or conscious of what it is not - neti neti/self inquiry) is the closest contemplation to that realization, without that there is no realization, to be even more pedantic we can then say that the Self is what it is prior to any realization of itself, which is true, but is the experience of that truly felt in the Heart? :wink:

That is what is important & why i say the universe being conscious of itself is the greatest, as its an exercise that will naturally take the mind beyond dualistic consciousness 'into' the eternal.

:thumbup:

Edited by husmmoor (11/09/11 06:01 PM)

Offlinecrkhd
☾☼☽

Loc: A human sphere enfolding ...
    #15387983 - 11/18/11 10:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"The universe is not conscious of itself"

I wonder who said that?

Oh wait, it's the universe... Trolling us left right and centre.

Given that I am you and you are me then clearly it is me talking to myself.

What a game we play!

--------------------

"Everything there is, and all that there is, is a Pattern of unspeakable proportion. The Pattern contains everything that is, completely fixed in succession, all the minimal particles interconnected in every way that is. Every way that is is not every conceivable way, because not everything that can be conceived is manifest in the pattern."

"THE Human, you, is a miniscule but essential part of that pattern. In it lies complete fulfillment. It will never become something it is not, but it will never need to be anything else." - Wiccan_Seeker

"If boring drudgery was the way of the universe, everything would have killed itself long ago." - Spacerific

Offlinecrkhd
☾☼☽

Loc: A human sphere enfolding ...
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: Icelander]
    #15387997 - 11/18/11 10:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Just give up, be happy, go do the laundry.:thumbup:

This is the way to go!

--------------------

"Everything there is, and all that there is, is a Pattern of unspeakable proportion. The Pattern contains everything that is, completely fixed in succession, all the minimal particles interconnected in every way that is. Every way that is is not every conceivable way, because not everything that can be conceived is manifest in the pattern."

"THE Human, you, is a miniscule but essential part of that pattern. In it lies complete fulfillment. It will never become something it is not, but it will never need to be anything else." - Wiccan_Seeker

"If boring drudgery was the way of the universe, everything would have killed itself long ago." - Spacerific

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: The universe conscious of itself [Re: crkhd]
    #15388180 - 11/18/11 11:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"Evidence suggests that human consciousness (a.k.a. an Observer) has a lot to do with how we experience our own personal environment and how it manifests itself out of our Thoughts."

the double slit experiment, probably the strangest scientific experiment ever

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

Edited by bigmike7104 (11/18/11 11:12 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom