Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
question::
    #1537305 - 05/10/03 06:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have a camera film sized canister(1 1/2 inch tall) full of colonized horse manure. now the question: If i made jars of verm/brown rice, and took a small peice of the mycelium from the canister, and put it in each jar, WOuld it colonize?> i asume if it did, it would take just as long as usual, but is it possible to fully colonize a jar or verm/rice, from a small chunk of colonized horse poo?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: question:: [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1537326 - 05/10/03 06:19 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

should work, the tricky part is keeping it steril when u get the chunk of poo in the jar, plus if u wanted to have a verm filter on top u would have to like sterilize it in a seperate container then like put it on after u add the poo, would probly be easier to innoculat grain with

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
    #1537417 - 05/10/03 06:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Your are sort of going in reverse.....normally you spawn OUT to poo. Unless the poo was sterile, your jars will very likely contam.

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: question:: [Re: Mike Elium]
    #1537785 - 05/10/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

it was NOT sterile, only pasturized.... so i guess jars are out of the question.... i guess a small cup sized casing would be best to use the canister for?

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1537982 - 05/10/03 11:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Actually no, If you wanna use the poo as spawn it would work, what you could try to do is get a  1/2 pint jar and fill it with water and broken glass, sterilize the jar, add a chunk of colonized poo when it is cool, shake up the jar, and break the poo into smaller pieces, small enough to  suck up into a syringes, then fill a syringe and store it till you are ready to innoculate your sterilized 1/2pint pf jars.  Your colonized poo would be optimal for this procedure since their is no vermiculite to clog up the syringe :wink:.  and as far as the poo contaminating the jars because it isnt sterile...Well IT's colonized poo so sterility isnt an issue it is mycellium so therefore it is safe to use to innoculate jars, aslong as he is sterile throughtout the syringe making from the colonized poo his jars will not contaminate.  And really he isnt working backwards, cause he didnt spawn too poo, atleast he didnt say he did I am assuming he innoculated the canister with a syringe, so he's not really working backwards.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Edited by BladeLSD (05/10/03 11:47 PM)

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Re: question:: [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1538635 - 05/11/03 08:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

BladeLSD,

By working backwards, I meant this: normally you inoculate sterile media, not just pasteurized media, such as grains, then when colonized, you spawn OUT to pasteurized poo. Here, he has taken media that is only pasteurized, albeit colonized, and is inoculating sterile media.....i.e., the reverse of the normal way.

Maybe you are correct that since the myc has overtaken the poo, it could be used to inoculate..... but if the poo is only pasteurized and not sterilized, it still may have other organisms in it that may contaminate the sterile media in the jars.

Have you ever done this yourself, that is, inoculated a sterile jar with colonized poo that is only pasteurized?

--------------------

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1539217 - 05/11/03 04:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Pasteurization is done too keep organism which are good for the mycellium...I have seen it done before, using the colonized poo for mycellium syringes, if he is apprehensive about it, he could use H2O2, but it isnt neccessary, because since it is colonized his substrate will not be contaminated by the poo. Colonized pasteurized poo is used in casing's, so by your logic, that casing layer could become contaminated because the poo has other organisms, this is obviously not the case, so it is also obvious that your advie is not coming from experience I say he isnt working backwards because colonized poo is better in mycellium syringes then a PF cake. Not everyone spawns with "sterile media" Havnt you ever heard of using colonized poo to spawn to more poo?, well if you havnt colonized poo is also good for mycellium syringes better if you ask me.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

#1541038 - 05/12/03 07:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Spawning with sterile media was not my concern at all, and I know you can spawn poo to poo. I realize full well that for spawning the recipient media is not sterile, as in pasteurized poo. But spawing was not my issue. My concern was inoculating a sterilized JAR with something not sterile. But if you have seen it done without causing contams to grow in the jar (as in your example of a mycelium syringe made from colonized pasteurized poo, something that I freely admit I have not seen done), it appears that it can be. I am surprised, due to the extraordinary measures usually taken to keep jars sterile as possible. Interesting.

--------------------

Edited by Mike Elium (05/12/03 07:49 AM)

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1542012 - 05/12/03 04:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Keeping jars sterile is an issue, but Colonized poo would not introduce any un-wanted organism's as long as sterile conditions are kept during the process, and especially if H2O2 is used. Also I gave two example's one other than the poo to poo, and that is using colonized poo in a casing. Casing layers ARE sterile media, so using poo in casings is an example of using colonized pasteurized poo with a sterilized medium, it shouldn't be so surprising too you since its done all the time. Like jars casing layers are also extensively sterilized, so again, by your logic using colonized pasteurized poo in a casing with a sterile casing layer would introduce un-wanted organism's, simply this isn't the case, the proof is in the pudding. Also "i know full well" spawning was not the issue I was simply providing a circumstance which is similar to using colonized poo in a mycellium syringe, as you can see, Using poo in a casing with sterile media is fairly similar to using a mycelium culture from poo to innoculate a sterile media. Both circumstances involve using colonized poo to facilitate growth within a sterile medium.

--------------------

Edited by BladeLSD (05/12/03 09:00 PM)

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

#1542648 - 05/12/03 08:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Blade,

Thanks for the info & discussion.....I learned something new (well, new to me anyway!).

--------------------

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1542739 - 05/12/03 08:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm glad i helped to facilitate your learning, and ultimatly your growth as a mycologist, after all that is what this hobby is all about.  May the mushroom gods smile on you my friend. :grin: :grin: :grin: 

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation