Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
sterilized/boiled too long
    #1536239 - 05/10/03 12:52 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, my umm, friend, yeah, is starting his first batch ever (yay!) using the PF-TeK method. Everything has gone perfectly except the jars were boiled a little too long (3 hours, oops, sister came over). The jars had lids on with 4 small holes in them and then on top of that a layer of tightly wrapped aluminum foil. Throwing these away seems like a waste and there is plenty of spore juice to go around, should I (I mean he) go for it? How would I be able to tell if the substrate is too dry? I've read some posts on adding some sterile water, but I just don't know how to tell if I lost any moisture. Any suggestions?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: sterilized/boiled too long [Re: kukusz]
    #1536245 - 05/10/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

DOh! :smile:

Hmmmm... Are there any moisture droplets on the insides of the jars?!

Offlinekukusz

Re: sterilized/boiled too long [Re: angryshroom]
    #1536250 - 05/10/03 12:59 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

they are still cooling - this just happened. I assume that I want moisture droplets on the inside. So if there is no condensation, I can assume I have the Sahara in there?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1536335 - 05/10/03 02:06 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sacrifice to the god of you choosing...1 jar.....it's an indicator that will keep you from wasting too much.....it's not exact because a hot spot could cause one to dry more than the others....but, it's a good measure as to the relative moisture content in the others.....dump it in the sink and play with it....if it's almost like when you put them in....good to go....if the pot boiled dry....start over

Offlinekukusz

Re: sterilized/boiled too long [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1536899 - 05/10/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, so I took one out of the jar and it was moist - but not wet feeling at all. How moist should it be? It was still sticking together moist, but when I squeezed it water did not ooze out or anything. Too dry?

--------------------

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
    #1537281 - 05/10/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

dude , really if u were steaming them in a pot of boinling water and u didnt run out of water then i dont see how u could have possibly lost ne considerable amt of moisture(or really ne at all unless u like had the lid off r sumthin), there shouldnt have really been ne condensation of the inside of the jars, and if its moist enough that its clumping together slightly still then lack of moisture is def not a concern, my friends says he makes his substrate so that its moist but not quite wet enough that it clumps but just falls apart so i think ur fine,

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

Offlinekukusz

Re: sterilized/boiled too long [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1584421 - 05/28/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone,

to those of you that are interested and since hardly anyone ever follows up on their posts, I thought I might help out here. All of the jars that were cooked too long by the hobbit next door (3+ hours) came out just fine and are just about to fully colonize. So it seems over sterilization did not dry them out or do anything bad at all.

Hope that helps someone in the future

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags