Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks * 3
    #15354519 - 11/11/11 08:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have been experimenting with different spacings of the Lions Mane sawdust blocks in my FC.  Im trying to maximize yield/ft2.  I have recently got the results from my tests and...

Doing what i consider "standard spacing", which is 1 ft2/block i was getting no less then 1lb/block on the first flush.  This is a good yield for the space, but i only have so much space so i need to maximize it.

I then tried .5 ft2/block, doubling the amount of blocks in the same space.  I did this by laying the bags on their side and pushing them together.  This spacing ALSO produced no less the 1lb/block!  What a space saver!  IMO, i actually like harvesting the top-fruiting better than side-fruiting in contrast to other opinions ive read.

Here are some pictures.

:headbanger:

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Aleon]
    #15354560 - 11/11/11 08:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thats beautiful man. What are you using to humidify? And if you don't mind me asking, what are you using for FAE? Thanks.

--------------------
The mushrooms just keep following me

OfflineBigPharma
Myco-Rising
 User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Hashbuble]
    #15354700 - 11/11/11 09:27 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:tongue:  So jealous.

Absolutely gorgeous fruits, Aleon!  What substrate are using?

--------------------
"There are no differences, but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."
-William James on NO2 in 1882

Offlinemikesethnobotany
Man
Male

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: BigPharma] * 1
    #15354863 - 11/11/11 10:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:toast:

This deserves a toast! Congratulations on your beautiful GH Aleon!! I am vey impressed with your yields and gorgeous fruits.

OfflineSaleh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: mikesethnobotany]
    #15358913 - 11/12/11 03:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with these guys. The setup also looks really nice....Is that outdoors, and if so, how hard is it to keep temps and humidity higher?

Saleh

Invisiblearago
Mr. Wind Up Bird
Male

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Saleh]
    #15359302 - 11/12/11 08:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Pic on the right: my new wallpaper.  So delicious.
[heads to garage to mix up substrate...]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: arago]
    #15359320 - 11/12/11 08:27 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for posting this. Maximizing yield per square feet/meter of fruiting room real estate is the only way we can get to the point where we can actually make money at this.

Question on the hericium, are those the original filter patch bags laying on their sides with slits for fruiting, or plastic sheeting of some sort?  I was wondering if you've completely removed them from the original bags first or not.  Also, what species/strain of hericium is that?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #15360252 - 11/12/11 12:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hashbuble said:
Thats beautiful man. What are you using to humidify? And if you don't mind me asking, what are you using for FAE? Thanks.

Its averaging about 80% RH, but i only have 1 humidistat and i dont know how well its working.  I mist with cold well water 3-5 times a day, then let some of the moisture evaporate off before the next mist.  (like shiitake, fluctuate humidity, just not as drastic). For FAE, its slightly ghetto rigged right now, but ive got a 4" inline fan coming from my window going into an air plenum.  IN this plenum i also push in air from our central air system(from our house) to mix with the outside air.  This keeps the temps from getting to low or to high, and also our central air has a house filter in it.  Then i have a fan pushing air though a furnace prefilter, then through a12"x12" hepa filter and into the grow room. Air is dispersed through 8" clear tubing on the ceiling whit perforations every few feet.  CO2 is always at 600-700PPM.  I need to get that a little lower, ive noticed the lions mane pins best with CO2 under 600PPM.

Quote:

BigPharma said:
:tongue:  So jealous.

Absolutely gorgeous fruits, Aleon!  What substrate are using?

Im using sterilized sawdust (mix of oak, hickory, cherry, pine) that is slightly aged, with OG wheat bran and gypsum added. 

Quote:

Saleh said:
I agree with these guys. The setup also looks really nice....Is that outdoors, and if so, how hard is it to keep temps and humidity higher?

Saleh

This is indoors, in my basement.  I had an old root celer with a dirt floor i converted.  Much easier to keep temps in check since its in the house, and i go in there all the time to record data because i walk past the door often (nice bonus i didnt think of till recently).  INn the summer i still need to air condition a little bit.  Well c if i need to heat in the winter, it can get pretty cold up here.  So far its holding strong at 55F.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Thanks for posting this. Maximizing yield per square feet/meter of fruiting room real estate is the only way we can get to the point where we can actually make money at this.

Question on the hericium, are those the original filter patch bags laying on their sides with slits for fruiting, or plastic sheeting of some sort?  I was wondering if you've completely removed them from the original bags first or not.  Also, what species/strain of hericium is that?
RR

Space efficiency is the name of the game, and something i have always put high on my list of priorities.  I got this mentality because i wanted to start growing my own veggies, but i lived in a concrete jungle.  And i did grow a lot of veggies, thanks to space efficient hydroponic techniques.  Where theres a will there's a way (thanks to technology). A goal i had was to set an example of how a micro-size hobby farm can fit into a spare bedroom or two of an apartment, or house.  This way everyone can produce some of their food, and live healthy! 

Yes they are in the OG filter patch bags.  I lay them on their side, I cut two slits diagonal from each other, fold the top of the bags under pushing out the air inside the bag.  Then i jam em together so the holes create a diamond shaped pattern.  Any time i expose more than just a few small slits, i dont get good results.  It is Hericium erinaceus, and i got it in spawn form fro Field and Forest products.  Im just getting started trying the raplshters strain, and im gonna order an aloha strain soon too.  I grew out the Mushroomspeople lions mane, and it sucked even though all the conditions were the same as my other strain!  Not to mention all the other cultures i got from them sucked lol; i got a refund i was so disappointed.  Needles to say (despite what some people say on this forum) genetics make a HUGE difference, we are talking about cloning here.  Hope this info helps.  Il will be trying this spacing experiment with other mushroom species soon.

--------------------

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15360340 - 11/12/11 12:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Aleon said:
A goal i had was to set an example of how a micro-size hobby farm can fit into a spare bedroom or two of an apartment, or house.  This way everyone can produce some of their food, and live healthy!

dude, please. you're setup is quite intriguing to me. I've been looking up ways to go about a small-time edible farm. if you have more pics or another thread detailing your space, please let me know!

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Munchauzen]
    #15364984 - 11/13/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Great thread.  Thank you for sharing!

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Munchauzen]
    #15365260 - 11/13/11 03:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Munchauzen said:
Quote:

Aleon said:
A goal i had was to set an example of how a micro-size hobby farm can fit into a spare bedroom or two of an apartment, or house.  This way everyone can produce some of their food, and live healthy!

dude, please. you're setup is quite intriguing to me. I've been looking up ways to go about a small-time edible farm. if you have more pics or another thread detailing your space, please let me know!

I have more pictures in my gallery but not much, ill add more.  Maybe ill make a thread of my micro-farm later.  Im in the process of updating it, but my website, www.lotusgrowingtech.com has some more info.

Im still learning so much, and am no expert. I am a mushroom disciple. If you have any specific questions i can try to answer those using what experience i have.

--------------------

InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15368255 - 11/14/11 07:59 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Aleon

What kind of pressure cooker are you using, and how many blocks dose it fit?

--------------------
The mushrooms just keep following me

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Hashbuble]
    #15370164 - 11/14/11 05:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Right now i have 2 AA75X, each holds 6, 5-6lb bags. Im looking to either get 2 more 75X's or go for a large autoclave(150+ bags) and boiler.

--------------------

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
    #15370729 - 11/14/11 07:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

what is your yeild per block  with ur shiitake and lionsmain? how many flushs r u getting? great looking set up man

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #15371840 - 11/14/11 10:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The average block produces a little over 1lb, for both species.  Sometimes some of that weight is mutants though w/ the shiitake. Im working on fixing that by lowering bran and moisture of the substrate. I am still in the process of getting things "dailed-in".

--------------------

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
    #15373432 - 11/15/11 09:01 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like ur getting the aleon.. so how many flushes r u getting

OfflineCid2112
Newb
Male

Loc: Ohio
    #15375684 - 11/15/11 07:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, Aleon, for sharing

--------------------
Cid

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

#15377032 - 11/15/11 11:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SOUTHERN said:
sounds like ur getting the aleon.. so how many flushes r u getting

In general i do 1 flush only, inside.  This keeps yield/area up, and pest and contams down.  I occasionally do a 2nd flush if i have space and time to do it.  IM going to be building a large "recapture room" to get my subsequent harvests.  It works out well, because i will use that during the growing season, which coincides with farmers market season.  This way i can increase production for farmers markets in summer, while not having to sterilize too many extra blocks.

--------------------

OfflineWorld Seed SupplyV
Seed Man
Male

Loc: New York, USA Flag
    #15377255 - 11/16/11 12:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Excellent. I actually just started some wbs for both of these species.  Unfortunately, I am allergic to shiitake so they're just for fun.

--------------------
www.worldseedsupply.com
HELPING THE WORLD GROW!

50% OFF 1st KRATOM COLLECTION POWDER ORDER @ www.kratomcollectionshop.com
USE CODE WELCOME50NWEW!

Offlinemikesethnobotany
Man
Male

Loc: Missouri, USA
    #15922745 - 03/09/12 12:23 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Sorry to bring up an old post but this old thread deserves a bump! I gotta ask, did you use fuel pellets for sawdust on the shiitake?

-Mike

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder