Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Poid]
    #15358677 - 11/12/11 01:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:
Surely todays science and medicine will in the future become as primitive, flawed and superstitious as alchemy and astrology.

Surely? You honestly think that the scientific method is going to be deemed superstitious in the future?

Well I hope so, as a 21st century human I feel very primitive, we still live on the surface of the earth and people think that it is right to have to work for a wage. The digital age is a baby step from the cave.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Poid]
    #15358686 - 11/12/11 01:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
No I'm not.
I don't think alchemists can be credited with being the first ones to come up with the concept of atoms:
Quote:

yada yada

Don't see any mention of alchemists there. :shrug:

Quote:

What's he got to do with anything? AFAIK, he wasn't an alchemist.

Quote:

Why wouldn't I focus on how they were wrong? They were superstitious fuckwits; the fact that they happened to make genuine contributions doesn't detract from the fact that they did so while following superstitious protocols.

Quote:

Well at least such companies do not follow a superstitious philosophy.

Oh!  I see the problem.  you ONLY consider alchemists to be people who

a)  self identified as alchemists  (many of these early scientists called themselves alchemists or equivalent names in their language because there was no other word for it)

and most importantly b) integrate hocus pocus into it.

In reality,  all early elemental purifications and recorded reactions fall under the realm of what was then called "alchemy".  There was no other word for it until scientific analysis became fully fleshed out under lavoiser and boyle in the 16-1700s. And then, to separate itself from the con-artists that had hijacked the name during the Renaissance period. only then was the term chemistry was finally coined.

Your problem is with what the people who hijacked the name did with it.  I see.

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: desert father]
    #15358694 - 11/12/11 01:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

desert father said:
and so what is it about astrology that is flawed?

I love alchemy and astrology, without these their would be no chemistry or astronomy. IMO everything conceived by humans is flawed.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #15358703 - 11/12/11 01:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Oh!  I see the problem.  you ONLY consider alchemists to be people who

a)  self identified as alchemists  (a term that only appeared later,  many of these early scientists called themselves alchemists or equivalent names in their language because there was no other word for it)

and most importantly b) integrate hocus pocus into it.

I consider anyone who practices alchemy to be an alchemist.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
In reality,  all early elemental purifications and recorded reactions fall under the realm of what was then called "alchemy".

Source?

One who conducts studies on chemicals isn't necessarily an alchemist.

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
There was no other word for it until scientific analysis became fully fleshed out under lavoiser and boyle in the 16-1700s.

I don't think it matters if the word "alchemy" wasn't in use back then... as long as they practiced what is today known as alchemy, then they were alchemists. :shrug:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (11/12/11 01:26 AM)

OfflineLukeGrowalker
Philanthropist

Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #15358737 - 11/12/11 01:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I love how 99% of all threads break down into monkeys throwing their own feces.

It is OK to have different opinions and ideals. Consequently, we should respect others said ideals and opinions. Even if we disagree.

Peace brethren!!!

--------------------
The School of the Undefeated of the East!
The Winds of the King!
Zenshin!
Keiretsu!
Tenpa kyoran!
Look, the East is Burning Red!

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #15358781 - 11/12/11 01:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This is going to involve alot of reading on your part from here on out.
Quote:

Poid said:
I consider anyone who practices alchemy to be an alchemist.

Your getting caught up in the old con thats now spawned into new age spirituality crap.  They ran a scam of "making gold" by using small investments of gold as a seed to transmute mercury and other base metals into gold.  Most of the time they pocketed the gold.

Quote:

poid said:

Alchemy and Chemistry used to have a very intimate relationship.
Quote:

http://historymedren.about.com/od/aentries/a/11_alchemy.htm
ALCHEMY. In the narrow sense of the word, alchemy is the pretended art of making gold and silver, or transmuting the base metals into the noble ones. The idea of such transmutation probably arose among the Alexandrian Greeks in the early centuries of the Christian era; thence it passed to the Arabs, by whom it was transmitted to western Europe, and its realization was a leading aim of chemical workers down to the time of Paracelsus and even later. But "alchemy" was something more than a particularly vain and deluded manifestation of the thirst for gold, as it is sometimes represented; in its wider and truer significance it stands for the chemistry of the middle ages. The idea of transmutation, in the country of its origin, had a philosophical basis, and was linked up with the Greek theories of matter there current; thus, by supplying a central philosophical principle, it to some extent unified and focussed chemical effort, which previously, so far as it existed at all, had been expended on acquiring empirical acquaintance with a mass of disconnected technical processes. Alchemy in this sense is merely an early phase of the development of systematic chemistry; in Liebig's words, it was "never at any time anything different from chemistry."

Regarding the derivation of the word, there are two main views which agree in holding that it has an Arabic descent, the prefix al being the Arabic article. But according to one, the second part of the word comes from the Greek chumeia, pouring, infusion, used in connexion with the study of the juices of plants, and thence extended to chemical manipulations in general; this derivation accounts for the old-fashioned spellings "chymist" and "chymistry." The other view traces it to khem or khame, hieroglyph khmi, which denotes black earth as opposed to barren sand, and occurs in Plutarch as chumeia; on this derivation alchemy is explained as meaning the "Egyptian art." The first occurrence of the word is said to be in a treatise of Julius Firmicus, an astrological writer of the 4th century, but the prefix al there must be the addition of a later copyist. Among the Alexandrian writers alchemy was designated as e tes chrusou te kai argurou poieseos techne theia kai iera or e episteme iera. In English, Piers Plowman (1362) contains the phrase "experimentis of alconomye," with variants "alkenemye" and "alknamye." The prefix al begins to be dropped about the middle of the 16th century.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy#Relation_to_the_science_of_chemistry
Practical applications of alchemy produced a wide range of contributions to medicine and the physical sciences. Alchemists Jābir ibn Hayyān[6] and Robert Boyle[7] are both credited as being the fathers of chemistry. Paracelsian iatrochemistry emphasized the medicinal application of alchemy (continued in plant alchemy, or spagyric).[8] Studies of alchemy also influenced Isaac Newton's theory of gravity.[9] Academic historical research supports that the alchemists were searching for a material substance using physical methods.[10]

It is a popular belief that Alchemists made contributions to the "chemical" industries of the day—ore testing and refining, metalworking, production of gunpowder, ink, dyes, paints, cosmetics, leather tanning, ceramics, glass manufacture, preparation of extracts, liquors, and so on (it seems that the preparation of aqua vitae, the "water of life", was a fairly popular "experiment" among European alchemists). Alchemists contributed distillation to Western Europe. The attempts of alchemists to arrange information on substances, so as to clarify and anticipate the products of their chemical reactions, resulted in early conceptions of chemical elements and the first rudimentary periodic tables. They learned how to extract metals from ores, and how to compose many types of inorganic acids and bases.

During the 17th century, practical alchemy started to evolve into modern chemistry,[11] as it was renamed by Robert Boyle, the "father of modern chemistry".[12] In his book, The Skeptical Chymist, Boyle attacked Paracelsus and the natural philosophy of Aristotle, which was taught at universities. However, Boyle's biographers, in their emphasis that he laid the foundations of modern chemistry, neglect how steadily he clung to the Scholastic sciences and to Alchemy, in theory, practice and doctrine.[13] The decline of alchemy continued in the 18th century with the birth of modern chemistry, which provided a more precise and reliable framework within a new view of the universe based on rational materialism.

Edited by HarveyWalbanger (11/12/11 04:10 AM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #15358841 - 11/12/11 02:39 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
You are a totally irrational person to talk to.

Nice, a personal attack. :thumbup:

I am not at all being irrational BTW.

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Lets cut to the chase on this one.  You define alchemy for me.

Did you not read the OP? The definition was posted there.

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Quote:

Source?

Source?  Alright but,  I'm done spoon feeding you info (since you have no intention of changing your mind anyways).  It's going to involve alot of reading on your part from here on out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chemistry#Early_chemists

Oh great, a link without an accompanying quote containing the information relevant to your claim... that's helpful! :rolleyes:

Nothing in that section of the Wikipedia article supports your claim that "all early elemental purifications and recorded reactions fall under the realm of what was then called 'alchemy'"; if you disagree, then please quote where it supports that claim.

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Everyone of the chemists before Boyle identifies himself as an alchemist.

More claims without a link and an accompanying quote with information relevant to your claim.

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Especially the islamic alchemists who began the first steps towards the scientific method and the first techniques of chemistry while calling themselves "kīmīāʾ"  the arabic word for alchemist.

Sure, some people in the Islamic world who studied the behaviors/properties of chemicals called themselves "kīmīāʾ", but this doesn't necessarily mean that all people in that time period who studied the behaviors/properties of chemicals called themselves alchemists. Further, it doesn't really matter what they called themselves, what matters is the kind of practices they engaged in; if they engaged in what we recognize today as alchemical practices, then they were alchemists.

Once again, one who conducts studies on chemicals isn't necessarily an alchemist; there is more to alchemy than studying chemicals.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (11/12/11 03:03 AM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#15358865 - 11/12/11 03:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In Harvey's favour, If you drop the first two letters in alchemist...

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Rahz]
    #15358873 - 11/12/11 03:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

...then you get a different word that has a different definition! :birthday:

What did I win? :trophy:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#15359389 - 11/12/11 08:46 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

people believe in all kinds of stupid shit when they dont believe what I believe

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15359414 - 11/12/11 08:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't believe in anything. :stoned:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#15359586 - 11/12/11 09:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well, you believe that you don't believe in anything.

its Kinda like knowing that you know nothing

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#15359773 - 11/12/11 10:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
...then you get a different word that has a different definition! :birthday:

What did I win? :trophy:

Here's another clue: 'al' means 'the'.

--------------------
rahz

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Rahz]
    #15359796 - 11/12/11 10:38 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That doesn't magically make "alchemy" synonymous with "chemistry".

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alchemy seems fucking stupid to me, why are people interested in that shit? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15359799 - 11/12/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
Well, you believe that you don't believe in anything.

No I don't... I'm pretty sure that I don't believe in anything, but I don't believe that I don't believe in anything. :wink:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#15359856 - 11/12/11 11:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
That doesn't magically make "alchemy" synonymous with "chemistry".

No, not magical, just factual.

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15359861 - 11/12/11 11:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You think alchemy is the same thing as chemistry?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#15359883 - 11/12/11 11:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The history of chemistry started with alchemy. This is undisputable. Feel free to argue otherwise but it won't help your case.

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15359932 - 11/12/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
The history of chemistry started with alchemy.

Therefore, alchemy is the same thing as chemistry? :wtf:

Quote:

Rahz said:
This is undisputable. Feel free to argue otherwise but it won't help your case.

I have no intention to argue otherwise, I know that chemistry originated from alchemy.

Let's compare the definitions of "alchemy" and "chemistry":

Alchemy
Quote:

Alchemy is an influential philosophical tradition whose early practitioners’ claims to profound powers were known from antiquity. The defining objectives of alchemy are varied; These include the creation of the fabled philosopher's stone possessing powers including the capability of turning base metals into the noble metals gold or silver- as well as an elixir of life conferring youth and immortality. In general alchemists believe in a natural and symbolic unity of humanity with the cosmos. Lately western alchemy has become recognized as the proto-typical protoscience presaging the seminal western sciences such as chemistry and medicine. Alchemists nurtured a framework of theory, terminology, experimental process and basic lab techniques still recognizable today. But alchemy differs from modern science in the inclusion of Hermetic principles and practices related to mythology, religion, and spirituality.

Chemistry
Quote:

Chemistry is the science of matter, especially its chemical reactions, but also its composition, structure and properties. Chemistry is concerned with atoms and their interactions with other atoms, and particularly with the properties of chemical bonds.
Chemistry is sometimes called "the central science" because it connects physics with other natural sciences such as geology and biology. Chemistry is a branch of physical science but distinct from physics.

Obviously, since alchemy differs from modern science, and since chemistry is a modern science, they are not the same thing. This is indisputable. Feel free to argue otherwise but it won't help your case.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#15359992 - 11/12/11 11:30 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So let's see, porn stars are actors, therefore all actors are porn stars.

--------------------
rahz

~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale