Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #1525960 - 05/06/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well... I was first replying to a quote and just commenting on how divided everyone's become over a three letter word... So I used a "blank" for a label in my response.

And then, as you say: "God did not put me here, my mother and father did. I did not choose to be born, and I most certainly did not "come here because I wanted to". "

I'll say this... Your parents made it possible for you to get here; they set the "stage" for you... I'll argue though, that either you came here thankfully, or, you didn't really want to, but you still did of your own free will.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Shroomism]
    #1526626 - 05/07/03 01:14 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Shroomism: I agree.

OctopusDr: I only saw a handful of people dodging.

ChiefThunderbong: Man did most likely make God out of ignorance and fear...... the God you are thinking of!

MarkTheGnostic: I am the intuitive type. It still makes no sense to deny the existance of something you have not even minimally defined.

The reason for this post was only to point out that when one denies the existance of "God," they are only denying the existance of their concept of God. So maybe they ought to try on a different concept of God. Instead of dismissing outright any idea based upon the word given to name that idea...... That was my only point. Does it make sense to deny the existance of something because you don't believe such a thing exists? Or does it make sense to deny the existance of something because of what it is called?

Edited by Fiend (05/07/03 01:17 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: ]
    #1526667 - 05/07/03 01:28 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"mommy how'd the stars get up there?"
"uhh.. God put 'em there, dear. Relax and finish your homework."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/07/03 01:29 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Strumpling]
    #1526672 - 05/07/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

And that sums up every possible view of God there is, eh?

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1526857 - 05/07/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What is wrong in this picture ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: MAIA]
    #1526861 - 05/07/03 05:50 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It should be like this,

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1526862 - 05/07/03 05:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It's funny that you said "it makes no sense," and I understand the common usage of 'sense,' but most adults have an immediate emotional reaction - undefined, unarticulated, just emotionally reactive - to the word 'GOD.' It is as though all of the associations gleaned from childhood (after which, most people stopped asking questions or seeking) become condensed into a 'feeling,' which is so discontinuous with 'thinking' that the feeling-laden word is automatically rejected, and the associated 'belief' is negated 'cause it is only a vestigal thought fragment from childhood that SHOULD be rejected, like 'the Old Bearded Guy-in-the-Sky' image of GOD.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Anonymous

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: MAIA]
    #1528208 - 05/07/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My answer was going to be "two men touching each other".

:grin:

j/k

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1532761 - 05/08/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you, at least you understand. That need to define goes away once you understand. Definitions are just words, and any "god" soiled by human words is not the God you are looking for.

Sometimes it seems like non-believers are more interested in defining God than believers but BELIEVERS DEFINE GOD, even though we can't exactly put It into words  :tongue:  there really is no need to if you understand.

non-believers are reactionaries. when you define yourself by what you're NOT, then you are being defined by that which you are not. think about it 'non-believers'...

Go ahead and come up with your fancy definitions...  hey, let's make up more things to not believe in! if we can define it, it must mean we understand...

Anonymous

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1532787 - 05/08/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

God may be beyond words, but denying the existance of something you don't even have a concept of in your head remains absolutely retarded....

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1533490 - 05/09/03 02:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"And that sums up every possible view of God there is, eh?"

oh come on you EFFING *ahem* excuse me...

dude I tried to explain to you that we can't answer that stupid question because there are too many different retarded ideas about God to specifically point one out - looks like you were just waiting for somebody to say something so you could say "oh so thats it hmm?" no of course not - did you not read my other posts? There is almost an infinity of Gods out there dude and I don't care for most of them, so I generally say I don't believe in God.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Anonymous

#1533556 - 05/09/03 03:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i see

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
    #1533557 - 05/09/03 03:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

God may be beyond words, but denying the existance of something you don't even have a concept of in your head remains absolutely retarded....

I sooooooooooooooooo agree with this. You put words to what I could only think.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1534207 - 05/09/03 09:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"God may be beyond words, but denying the existance of something you don't even have a concept of in your head remains absolutely retarded...."

Expecting people to accept a concept that even "believers" can't explain or agree on remains absolutely retarded.

--------------------

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
    #1534286 - 05/09/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

non-believers are reactionaries. when you define yourself by what you're NOT, then you are being defined by that which you are not. think about it 'non-believers'...

Go ahead and come up with your fancy definitions... hey, let's make up more things to not believe in! if we can define it, it must mean we understand...

Do Christians consider themselves non-Hindu, non-Muslim, and non-Athiest? No, Christians view themselves as Christians, which automatically imply those other titles.

Non-believers do not label themselves as such. A non-Christian does not consider themselves as non-Christian, they just don't believe in Christianity. It is the believers that label those who do not believe 'non-believers'.

Most of the fancy definitions for 'god' are made up by those who believe or want to believe in something.

Quote:

Before most people deny something they form some sort of concept of what it is. Who is to blame if one person, attempting to explain their concept of 'god' to another person, fails to impress the complete image of their beliefs? The first person? the second person? or maybe the first person's god?

jssmthrfcknchrst

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1534327 - 05/09/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

excellent :smile:

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1534536 - 05/09/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Once upon a time scientists believed that there was a substance called "phlogiston" which was contained in other substances, and that the phenomenon known as "fire" was caused by the release of this phlogiston. But experiments showed that phlogiston doesn't exist: fire is caused by oxidation chain-reactions at high temperature. However, you can substitute the phrase "oxidation enthalpy" for "phlogiston" and find that it has some (but not all) of the properties that phlogiston was supposed to have. The main difference is that enthalpy is a measure of electromagnetic potential energy, not a material substance. It would have been easy to just upgrade the definition of phlogiston to mean exactly the same thing as oxidation enthalpy, and continue to use the word "phlogiston". But scientists prefer not to do that because it confuses discussions and muddles thinking.

In a similar way I think using the word "God" in a philosophical context only adds to confusion and muddled thinking. It's better to use more specific words.

Anonymous

#1535153 - 05/09/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Before most people deny something they form some sort of concept of what it is.

Indeed, that was the entire point of my post, which was too intense for Strumpling to grasp I guess, even though no one else seemed to have a major problem with it.

Edited by Fiend (05/09/03 03:51 PM)

Anonymous

#1535166 - 05/09/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Expecting people to accept a concept that even "believers" can't explain or agree on remains absolutely retarded.

The point of this thread has nothing to do with expecting anyone to accept anyone's concept, although the fact that your lack of reading comprehension skills allowed you to somehow glean that would explain why you feel the need to be so defensive. The point of the thread was for people who don't believe in God to explain what the word God meant to them. Not too difficult, unless you feel threatened for some bizarre reason.

Edited by Fiend (05/09/03 05:15 PM)

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Droz]
    #1535500 - 05/09/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't believe that their is a superpowerful force in the universe that defies human logic. Existing always brings up the question in the human mind of "What was BEFORE god?". Anything that involves "god" as a supernatural being, I don't beleive in. I think that humanity creates god/s as we neeed to to enforce morality, to create a sense of community, and something to fall back on. .

I suppose my definition would be a supernatural being (an actual thinking diety, rather than some force i.e.big bang) that created every element of life. One that is omnipotent and eternal. I don't think that their is any suhc thing as"god". i'd go as far as to say that I refute any claim of any god that any religion has that places god as the creator of everything, while also having him as a sentient being

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder