Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: yelimS]
    #1534075 - 05/09/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

let's just say for argument's sake that gun-owners are indeed paranoid and that they really have no need to have a gun for protection.

why should the government get in the way of them buying a gun anyway?

maybe i'm paranoid and i wear a helmet when i'm driving my car. is that any reason in itself for driving with a helmet on to be banned?

no matter how trivial the threat of attack is, why should people not have a right to defend themselves against it if they wish?

it's not as though you're required to pay for their gun. it's not as though the simple act of them owning a gun affects you in any way. (if anything, the more people own guns, the safer you non gun owners are).

think about it... if you're a burgler... what is the one thing you reaaaally hope you don't find when you break into that house? that's right, an armed citizen.

guns, by their very existance, deter crime, they don't cause it. if you've got a problem with murder, perhaps it'd be better to petition the government to stop letting many murderers walk after serving less than 10 years, rather than wishing to do away with the right of peaceful citizens to keep and bear arms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineyelimS
bohem

Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: ]
    #1534079 - 05/09/03 08:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

aahhhhhh... theeeeere we go... you're a subscriber to micheal moore's 'bowling for columbine' eh? now it makes sense.

his 'point' ignores the premise that this is caused more by social factors than the availability of guns.

Social factors exclusive to the US. Ah, I see now. You're the only country with losers and outcasts. Try again.

it ain't like that here.
I know it's not, I'm just trying to point out the connection between overprotection and murders. Here, you don't have to carry a gun to be a criminal. You can steal money without killing anyone. Is that a bad thing?

regardless... most people keep assault rifles because they're fun to shoot... at targets, and assault rifles are responsible for about 2% or so of our gun deaths here. it's typically not the sort of weapon one uses in a murder.

it's just a case of the government being afraid to let people have 'military style' arms.

and stupid people who don't know what 'assault rifle' means, but know and fear the word 'assault' support this crap without having any idea what it means.

What are the other 98% then?
I admit banning all semi-automatics (I do know what that is) might be a bit rash. My point here tough, and I should have said that before, is that you Americans (in general of course) are too concerned about your own rights and supposed safety, but don't seem to think enough about the consequences.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1534090 - 05/09/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry about anthrax... I was joking. I know that nobody wants it. :grin:

Quote:

his 'point' (Michael Moore) ignores the premise that this is caused more by social factors than the availability of guns. 

That's a bit weird. Have you seen the movie? His point was similar to yours.
He showed that Canadians and others also posses lots of guns but have much less crime. His tried to show that the cause of this is paranoia, not the availability of weapons. At least that's how I understood it. 

Anonymous

#1534094 - 05/09/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

you seem to be a fairly open-minded guy. i've posted this article various times before, so i won't eat up bandwidth by posting it again. i think it's an excellent defense of gun rights, and unlike the works of micheal moore, nothing is fabricated. it's a long one, but a good read. check it out:

The False Promise of Gun Control

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
    #1534107 - 05/09/03 09:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I only wish this 'betrayal' of the NRA diehards would cost him the election.

Hey - maybe Charlton Heston will run against him.

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

OfflineyelimS
bohem

#1534119 - 05/09/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It might be a bit late for you to just stop buying guns, with the crime rates you already have. But you don't need your attitudes on guns.. ah, my english fails me... just buy a gun and have it for protection, but don't be so... militant about it. I don't really know how to say it, if you have seen Bowling (with an open mind), and still don't think he has a point, I don't think I can say it any better.
As for the article, I'll try to read it, with an ecually open mind, but it's dinner time and weekend over here, so I'll have to save it.

Oh, and... if I were a burglar, and knew most people had guns, I'd get one to. And that's what I wouldn't need in Norway.

OfflineyelimS
bohem

#1534132 - 05/09/03 09:14 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

you seem to be a fairly open-minded guy. 

Thanks for that, I have to say that i like most of what you and Mr Mushrooms posts, you both seem like good people, you just have a wicked view on guns :smile:

OfflineyelimS
bohem

#1534205 - 05/09/03 09:44 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Or

We could just agree that's something's terribly wrong in the US, causing murder rates to be much higher than in any other country. And if it's not the paranoia, what then? Really, I'm open for suggestions.

I think I had something more to say, but I can't remember. Well, keep it real, wiggaz.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
    #1534309 - 05/09/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free
    State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
    infringed.

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED

It's that simple :smile:

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1534354 - 05/09/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

maybe i'm paranoid and i wear a helmet when i'm driving my car. is that any reason in itself for driving with a helmet on to be banned?

Ok ok ok, I've become alot more open-minded to gus, and I agree that citizens should have the right to own them, but this is somewhat of a stretch. I mean lets say you did have this helmet to where when you drove, and lets say you left it out one night, could someone take your helmet and kill another, accidentally or intentionally?

But yeah, I do think its stupid to ban semi automatics. Someone above raised a great point when they said just because these guns have the negative "assault" connotation many people think they are evil. Its sad how semantics can obscure the truth.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineyelimS
bohem

Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1534400 - 05/09/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Don't take the amandments for absolute perfect wisdom. It is not that simple. You might agree, but don't defend gun ownership with the amandments. That's like not smoking pot because it's illegal, and I don't think you'd like that.
Damn, I was going to be l33t and quote the Dhammapada, but I can't find where it says that you shall not do something because others say so, but because you decide it for yourself.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1534597 - 05/09/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

He's probably doing this because he's becoming aware of just how many people would like to put a bullet in his head.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: silversoul7]
    #1534609 - 05/09/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The DEA get all the nice weapons.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

#1534765 - 05/09/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Or

We could just agree that's something's terribly wrong in the US, causing murder rates to be much higher than in any other country. And if it's not the paranoia, what then? Really, I'm open for suggestions.

I think I had something more to say, but I can't remember. Well, keep it real, wiggaz.

I don't know if it should be called "terribly wrong" but the US by its very nature is different from most other countries. The Native American wars and the Civil War are proof of that. Many here in the US are a frightfully independent lot. Many pride themselves on individual liberty and do not want that infringed on by a government they see as having grown too big.

Similarly, they want to control how they protect themselves, not the government.

In the same vein Alaska has or used to have the right to grown marijuana. That was YEARS before Canada came up with their recent legislation. Many Alaskans are pro-pot and pro-gun. They moved to Alaska to get away from the government interfering with their lives.

So I think you have hit upon something.

Americans are different.

Cheers,

Edited by Mr_Mushrooms (05/09/03 01:32 PM)

OfflineCoreHard
loser
Loc: Cave
    #1535579 - 05/09/03 06:44 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I feel that many people honestly think that if all Americans had guns, an Orwellian Police State could never be realized. Wake up, we're already there. And I can assure you that no auto, semi-auto, or old school bolt action is going to secure a nation. Truth, however, and Media's reporting therof, is really the only plausible weapon. Good luck with that.

Anonymous

Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: CoreHard]
    #1535597 - 05/09/03 06:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Police State or not, when they try to take my guns I will do what I have to and consider it a good day to die.

And I am not alone.

Anonymous

#1535825 - 05/09/03 09:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You forgot "Cheers" at the end MM :grin:

BTW, Agreed.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1535829 - 05/09/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Exactly. If they come for my guns, i'll be ready. Abe Lincoln said that owning firearms makes it so that IF our government becomes a tyranny, we maintain our "revolutionary right" to overthrow them. Basicaly, if the vote is abolished by a dictator, and we do have guns, we can still do something. If we don't, well, we are fucked.

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Anonymous

Re: Bush Supports Ban on Assault Weapons [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1536555 - 05/10/03 06:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun

When the law break in
How you gonna go?
Shot down on the pavement
Or waiting on death row

You can crush us
You can bruise us
But you'll have to answer to
Oh, the guns of Brixton

The Clash

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1536704 - 05/10/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think Americans are right. Citizen gun ownership does prevent tyranny.

However the Feds have found a way around it:

1. Be A Patriot, Cooperate with your Government
2. Be Civil and Obedient when the Police Charge You
3. Go To Court and Be Nice, and your Sentence will be Minimal
4. Gotcha! Now you're in jail for a long time

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract