Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #15497416 - 12/10/11 08:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
.....I wish I would have started doing this sooner.

Words can not begin to describe the plethora of reasons I wish I had, as well :thumbup:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #15500097 - 12/11/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Any reason you didn't include some P.Azurescens in your experiment?

I really want to try something similar but i havn't got P.Cyanescens in my collection.
I do have Azures though.
Anyone know any other woodlower besides the one you are trying Maynard?
Preferably cold weather ones.

Really good start to your experiments, i really wish you good luck.

/Mateo

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: Mateo]
    #15500135 - 12/11/11 02:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
Any reason you didn't include some P.Azurescens in your experiment?

I really want to try something similar but i havn't got P.Cyanescens in my collection.
I do have Azures though.
Anyone know any other woodlower besides the one you are trying Maynard?
Preferably cold weather ones.

Really good start to your experiments, i really wish you good luck.

/Mateo

I will try this with azurescens I just don't have any LC healthy enough to inoculate grains. In time I hope to cover most all of the PNW wood loves. I would love to work with psilocybe bohemica but spores are very hard to come by. I have heard that psilocybe subaeruginosa would also grow well in the PNW so after some time, maybe some Aussie could send me a few prints. I think I have gotten my technique down good enough to be able to do this with most wood loving species. I have tried cultivating cubes and failed horribly, I only produces to small little fruits. I would like to work with stuntzii and baeocystis.... all in good time.

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#15500314 - 12/11/11 03:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well i got a LC of P.Azurescens ready and is PC:ing some rye as we speak.
I will go away soon for almost 4 weeks but i guess if i get my grains colonized i can do some woodchips/pellets/veruculite in a big plasic bucket and just go away for vacation.
It should take its time to colonize it all if i do a big bucket and i should be able to go away without someone watching my experiment.

What temps are your woodchips mix colonising at?

/Mateo

--------------------

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #15500380 - 12/11/11 03:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:

What temps are your woodchips mix colonising at?

/Mateo

Inside temperatures so roughly 55-70F. I put them in my laundry room because it always seems to be very humid and maintains a constant temperature, I only have to spray them maybe once ever 2 weeks or so. After I am satisfied that the medium is colonized I move the bags outside to stop the growth of mold or other contaminates. I would like to see what azurescens look like when they colonize a 5 gallon bucket, are you going to start a post showing how you did it?

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#15500539 - 12/11/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If everything going as planned then, yes i will do a thread.
I will post link to thread here when i got the thread started.
I guess i make thread when i start see some first growth in grains.
I have read somewhere that rye grains will work for Azures and almost all shrooms.

Im also new to this hobby, have only done a cubensis B+ grow that had given me 2 flushes so far and im very pleased with the results.
But i want to experiment with some shrooms that can grow outside here where i live (northern europe).
I really want to do some outside beds and they say you should start your beds in spring.
So its about time to start building up some quantity mycelium so i be ready in spring.
I be sure to post pics here to.

Do you know if some of these are cold weather shrooms?
P.Hispanica
P.Caeulescens
P.Weillii
P.Samuiensis
P.Semperviva

/Mateo

/Mateo

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15500548 - 12/11/11 04:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I do not think that Semperviva (Hoogshagenii) is a cold lover.

Hispanica is Spanish.  It was found at altitude and probably likes the cold.

Good luck,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: Javadog]
    #15506557 - 12/12/11 06:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hi again,

I looked around my refridgerator and as i remembered i got 2 smaller glassjars of P.Azurescens strain Elixir LC's.
They looked super good and had expanded mycelium mass to atleast doubble.
I thought they almost halted growth completly when refridgerated but obviosly it only slows things down a bit.
Well doubble mycelium mass in an LC in about 2 months must be considered slow i guess.
Anyway they looked super healthy and fluffy whithe.

I wanted to save my Azurez for future things and then i remembered i got some vacutainers (red tops and blue/violet tops).
I have had theese a very long time and exp.date must have been passed but better than nothing, i try use them.

I took one of my glassjar LC and 10 red vacutainers and put in my glovebox together with a large filtered spawnbag of PC'd ryegrains and some syringe, needle and other stuff.

I skaked my lc and used a 10ml syringe to fill all 10 vacutainers with mycelium LC.
Then i squirted a full 10ml syringe mycelium solution into the large filtered spawnbag with ryegrains.
I filled the syringe again and put on needlecap.
A piece of tape were put over hole in spawnbag.

So now i wait and see how spawnbag with ryegrains will develop.
If i don't get contamination my vacutainers and syringe should be OK.
And i got a whole smaller glassjar of goodlookin Azure LC left untouched, and ofcause whats left in my first glassjar LC.

If the large spawnbag seems to colonize well i will start a thread about my P.Azurescens experiment.

But i have a feeling this is going to work like a charm, atleast in this stage.
We will se if i come so far to mix woodchips and start to expand my mycelium mass.

I have not taken any pics at this stage, maybee i will tonight.

I just wanted to tell you about my projekt as its similar to yours and you have inspired me atleast partially to start an experiment myself.
I don't gonna steal your thread and i will start one myself if not spawnbag show signs of contamination in a few days.

Im really excited to see how your project/experiment is progressing.
Really good work, Maynard.

/Mateo

--------------------

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #15506637 - 12/12/11 07:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
Hi again,

I looked around my refridgerator and as i remembered i got 2 smaller glassjars of P.Azurescens strain Elixir LC's.
They looked super good and had expanded mycelium mass to atleast doubble.
I thought they almost halted growth completly when refridgerated but obviosly it only slows things down a bit.
Well doubble mycelium mass in an LC in about 2 months must be considered slow i guess.
Anyway they looked super healthy and fluffy whithe.

I wanted to save my Azurez for future things and then i remembered i got some vacutainers (red tops and blue/violet tops).
I have had theese a very long time and exp.date must have been passed but better than nothing, i try use them.

I took one of my glassjar LC and 10 red vacutainers and put in my glovebox together with a large filtered spawnbag of PC'd ryegrains and some syringe, needle and other stuff.

I skaked my lc and used a 10ml syringe to fill all 10 vacutainers with mycelium LC.
Then i squirted a full 10ml syringe mycelium solution into the large filtered spawnbag with ryegrains.
I filled the syringe again and put on needlecap.
A piece of tape were put over hole in spawnbag.

So now i wait and see how spawnbag with ryegrains will develop.
If i don't get contamination my vacutainers and syringe should be OK.
And i got a whole smaller glassjar of goodlookin Azure LC left untouched, and ofcause whats left in my first glassjar LC.

If the large spawnbag seems to colonize well i will start a thread about my P.Azurescens experiment.

But i have a feeling this is going to work like a charm, atleast in this stage.
We will se if i come so far to mix woodchips and start to expand my mycelium mass.

I have not taken any pics at this stage, maybee i will tonight.

I just wanted to tell you about my projekt as its similar to yours and you have inspired me atleast partially to start an experiment myself.
I don't gonna steal your thread and i will start one myself if not spawnbag show signs of contamination in a few days.

Im really excited to see how your project/experiment is progressing.
Really good work, Maynard.

/Mateo

:awedance:
This is such a great, fun and fruitful hobby. Good luck to you my friend!

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #15509348 - 12/13/11 08:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Indeed, I like the the fact that there are many ways to go to get to the same end goal, this thread is of great interest to me as doing very similar work but going about it down a totally different path.

Great work maynardjames, always great to see another soldier speeding up and encouraging the inevitable spread of the woodloving species, I'll be keeping an eye on progress fo sho and all the best in your endeavours!!

:goodluck::cheers:

:stirthepot::wizard::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation *DELETED* [Re: UK Explorer]
    #15513579 - 12/14/11 12:11 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by maynardjameskeenan

Reason for deletion: see above

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Loc: Graham, WA
    #15524366 - 12/16/11 02:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Not sure how I missed this thread. Awesome work maynard, and I'm glad they are treating ya well:wink: It's amazing how simple some wood lovers are to get going. I hope you have good results with the cyanofibs.

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation *DELETED* [Re: NeoSporen]
    #15533346 - 12/18/11 01:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15534469 - 12/18/11 11:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Very nice.

I have already rescued an egg carton from the recycling bin.  ;0)

Good luck,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Invisiblechopstick
nobody
Male

Loc: Chin's Wok
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: Javadog]
    #15534589 - 12/18/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting thread...I have a psi. cyan print but so far have only been growing cubes...so let me get this straight...in a nutshell, you inoculate grains directly with either spores from psi. cyan or LC, then spawn to egg cartons which are further colonized, then too a 5 gallon bucket of pasteurized woodchips, then spawn to an outdoor bed where it eventually fruits? That is what I have gathered so far atleast...I'll make sure to give this thread another readover.

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: chopstick]
    #15535195 - 12/18/11 02:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

chopstick said:
Interesting thread...I have a psi. cyan print but so far have only been growing cubes...so let me get this straight...in a nutshell, you inoculate grains directly with either spores from psi. cyan or LC, then spawn to egg cartons which are further colonized, then too a 5 gallon bucket of pasteurized woodchips, then spawn to an outdoor bed where it eventually fruits? That is what I have gathered so far atleast...I'll make sure to give this thread another readover.

You have the just of it. I inoculated grain with LC and have been expanding the mycelium. I doubt I will be using any 5 gallon buckets.  I would recommend you make LC out of your print. Here is a very good recipe for cyans;
Here are a few of the liquid culture recipes I have had success with. I'll also put in some tips that I have found from my agar and LC experiences.

1. Basic "karo" LC:
    - 3-5% solution of light karo syrup. Example - 300ml of total solution @ 4%, use 288ml of water and 12ml of syrup.
    - Boil for about 5 mins to help dissolve the sugar. Then PC @15 psi for 30-45 mins, depending on jar size.
    - If using "Dark karo" I normally don't go over a 3% solution.

2. Karo advanced:
    - Same as "basic karo LC" but only go to 3% Karo. Then add 1/2tsp of potato flakes per 100ml. If you have "hard" water, I found it helps to add a pinch of food grade gypsum (NOT JUST DRYWALL GYPSUM)
    - Boil for 15 mins, or until flakes are mostly dissolved. PC @15psi for 45mins.

3. Potato LC:
    - Start with about 1-2 lbs of potatoes and prepare them like you normally would for mashed potatoes. Cook them just as you normally would, but DON'T ADD ANY BUTTER OR SEASONINGS! Salt is ok, but don't put in too much, and use sea salt.
    - Once they are fully cooked, strain off the solids and save the water (also eat mashed potatoes)
    - To separate out all the solids, I simply pour the liquid into a large container and allow it to settle for 1 hour. Once settled, just pour off the liquid without disturbing the solids (I use a turkey baster for this step)
    - Measure your jars and PC @15 psi for 45-60 mins. I tend to go 60 mins to help break down all the starches into sugar.

4. "Agar's Grain LC": http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6817701/an/0/page/0

- I have used this a few times, and as long as your grains are clean and you have good sterile techniques, this works very well.

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation *DELETED* [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #15557866 - 12/22/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #15558161 - 12/22/11 06:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Nice work, mycelium really chomping into substrate now, before long you will have a lovely white block and will be pretty much set :stirthepot::dancer:

Not sure if I missed it but just what is that substrate in pics 1 and 2? Is it your alder/pellet combo?

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first timer wood lover cultivation [Re: UK Explorer]
    #15559654 - 12/22/11 11:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's just steamed alder chips and cardboard with nothing else on them. I have noticed that cyan mycelium is some pretty hardy and destructive stuff, at least whatever this strain of cyanescens is.

--------------------
May you be well.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #15559703 - 12/23/11 12:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
here is a little update from my cyans box. I decided to move it into the grow room because I have noticed that the mycelium grows much faster at warmer temperatures, the room is kept between 60º-71ºF.

A little greenery in a heavy veg state, they are growing a couple of inches a day it seems. :awesome:  :bigblunt:

:bow2:

:awedance:

:awehigh:

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder