Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Stop Harper's cruel crime bill - AVAAZ
    #15336390 - 11/07/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

In days, Harper will try to push through a crime law that could drastically raise our taxes and dole out harsher punishments for pot smokers than pedophiles -- but Quebec and Ontario have refused to pay for the bad law. Together, we can stand with them and call on every province to ditch the crime bill and protect Canadians from useless expenses.

Crime rates in Canada have been falling steadily for over a decade yet Harper insists on spending our money to lock up our most vulnerable citizens like youth and aboriginals. Spending billions on bad crime laws means that our taxes will rise or valuable social programs like Employment Insurance will be cut. Quebec and Ontario have already said they won’t pay and now we can sign this petition telling our Premiers to join them in protecting us from this bill.

Texas blew billions on a crime fighting system that didn’t work and now Harper wants to do the same in Canada -- but we can still stop him. Let's ditch the crime bill by signing this petition calling on our Premiers to stand with Quebec, Ontario and Canadian taxpayers. Click to the right to be heard and forward to everyone.

SIGN THE PETITION

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_harpers_cruel_crime_bill/

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Edited by Simplepowa (11/07/11 02:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Simplepowa]
    #15336408 - 11/07/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I signed it.  Fuck Harper.  What a fucking piece of shit.

Offlinefelix4life
Sky
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15336776 - 11/07/11 03:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I fucking hate Harper.

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: felix4life]
    #15336789 - 11/07/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So I think this is the wrong thread for me to express my political opinion lol.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Patlal]
    #15336837 - 11/07/11 04:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, if you can state what you think in an intelligent and non-aggressive manner I'd be more than happy to read it, think about it, and if it convinces me; adopt it.

Feel free friend, this is a forum about magic mushrooms after all, everyone is welcome to their opinions.

Not to mention, I'd love to see more sides to the story.

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #15336948 - 11/07/11 04:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
Well, if you can state what you think in an intelligent and non-aggressive manner I'd be more than happy to read it, think about it, and if it convinces me; adopt it.

Feel free friend, this is a forum about magic mushrooms after all, everyone is welcome to their opinions.

Not to mention, I'd love to see more sides to the story.

Read some of my past threads, you'll have plenty of my opinions

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#15337023 - 11/07/11 04:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You've never said anything (that I've read) pertaining specifically to this retarded bill.  Can you tell me how you feel about it?  I'm curious.  Even if I disagree, you generally have some well thought out points.

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15337072 - 11/07/11 04:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah; I'd like to hear your thoughts on this bill itself; I'm not the most caught up in politics so I'd be more than open to hear about them. (Not a fan of Harper, but more because thats the popular view at the moment)

Offlinepropensity
۞̷ ̶۞̷ ̶

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bedrock America
    #15337161 - 11/07/11 05:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm an american, can I sign it anyway?

Fuck Harper. What a scumbag.

--------------------

۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢ www.cactophage.com ۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢
̸ۨ͜۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟Dolphins of Dank۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆

OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #15337168 - 11/07/11 05:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

No idea who Harper is...but back my canadian friends just across the border from me!

I get smoked out every time I play softball up there, thank you!

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

OfflineCulland
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Mushie23]
    #15337228 - 11/07/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Harper is a reformer, ideology drives him. What we as citizens want or need, or what is best, has no bearing. This law is proof of that and he will ram it down our throats regardless of all the petitions we sign.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Culland]
    #15337319 - 11/07/11 05:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Culland said:
Harper is a reformer, ideology drives him. What we as citizens want or need, or what is best, has no bearing. This law is proof of that and he will ram it down our throats regardless of all the petitions we sign.

True unfortunately.

It's really a shame that this government has so much power to make sweeping changes with only 39% support from the voting public(19% support from the general public).

Signed anyways tho.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Edited by Heffy (11/07/11 05:50 PM)

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

#15337362 - 11/07/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
You've never said anything (that I've read) pertaining specifically to this retarded bill.  Can you tell me how you feel about it?  I'm curious.  Even if I disagree, you generally have some well thought out points.

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
Yeah; I'd like to hear your thoughts on this bill itself; I'm not the most caught up in politics so I'd be more than open to hear about them. (Not a fan of Harper, but more because thats the popular view at the moment)

Well, personally I am a great supporter of the conservative government. Although I have to say that I only agree with 50% of the bill.

The bill has been proposed as an ideal in the party lines of the conservatives and has been campaigned on during the elections. Toughening up the criminal system in Canada was something that had to be done for a long long time, but I don't agree with the drug aspect. It is outdated.

But again, the campaign was built around it. Harper as kept pretty much all of the promises he made during his campaign, which is very very rare for a politician. The conservatives are a surprise free, predictable government that makes well thought out decisions.

The crime bill toughens the system mostly for white collar crime, human trafficking, pedophilia, anti-terrorism and hard drugs such as cocaine. Sadly, marijuana took a hit too, which I find retarded. The rest of the bill is necessary and has been needed for a long time.

As for the prisons, well its easy, if the crimes I mentioned early gets harsher sentences, the criminals will spend more time in jail which will take up more space in the current prisons. Which is why, new prisons will be needed.

What sucks is that marijuana charges will make a shit ton more useless prisoners. It will crowd up the new jails and make Harper look good because his new jail will be used to capacity...

I am pretty sure that the provinces opposes that bill because of marijuana. They will end up paying for it even if they don't agree so...

Hopefully the bill will be amended and leave marijuana charges as they currently are.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #15337885 - 11/07/11 08:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:eyescirclinginhead:

OfflineKatzenjammer
Lurker
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Konyap]
    #15338060 - 11/07/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It sucks that drug laws will be more stringent, but if it keeps violent offenders and other psycho motherfuckers off the streets for longer, I'm 100% for it.

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Katzenjammer]
    #15338252 - 11/07/11 09:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

^yeah but Harper could pass 9 different bills for 9 different subjects and not do an omnibus crime bill with all of these and try to rush it! This is absurd!

They all need sensitive debate and he tries to limit it the most he can... :sad:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

OfflineHardTrippin
The Ambivalent
Male

#15338259 - 11/07/11 09:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:

Well, personally I am a great supporter of the conservative government. Although I have to say that I only agree with 50% of the bill.

The bill has been proposed as an ideal in the party lines of the conservatives and has been campaigned on during the elections. Toughening up the criminal system in Canada was something that had to be done for a long long time, but I don't agree with the drug aspect. It is outdated.

But again, the campaign was built around it. Harper as kept pretty much all of the promises he made during his campaign, which is very very rare for a politician. The conservatives are a surprise free, predictable government that makes well thought out decisions.

The crime bill toughens the system mostly for white collar crime, human trafficking, pedophilia, anti-terrorism and hard drugs such as cocaine. Sadly, marijuana took a hit too, which I find retarded. The rest of the bill is necessary and has been needed for a long time.

As for the prisons, well its easy, if the crimes I mentioned early gets harsher sentences, the criminals will spend more time in jail which will take up more space in the current prisons. Which is why, new prisons will be needed.

What sucks is that marijuana charges will make a shit ton more useless prisoners. It will crowd up the new jails and make Harper look good because his new jail will be used to capacity...

I am pretty sure that the provinces opposes that bill because of marijuana. They will end up paying for it even if they don't agree so...

Hopefully the bill will be amended and leave marijuana charges as they currently are.

A very well thought out reply, however the courts are already beginning to crowd and very serious cases such as my friend's possession and trafficking of marijuana and cocaine charges which were just recently dropped due to the courts being booked up years in advance. The papers don't usually print that kind of thing.

OfflineChemical_Sandman
Fr33Y0uRM1Nd
 User Gallery

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: HardTrippin]
    #15339745 - 11/08/11 08:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Let's go Harper! My vote at work!

--------------------

"It is not a conspiracy, don't call it a conspiracy. It is all out in the open and it stands on the ignorance, apathy and stupidity of the American people that is the foundation upon which the New World Order is built." --William Cooper

Invisibledigitalemu
Digital Emu

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Chemical_Sandman]
    #15339914 - 11/08/11 09:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

To be fair you need to look at everything that is in this bill and it is not just drug offences it addresses. There are minimum sentences put on sex, violent and serious offences, tougher penalties for sexual offences against children, stiffer sentences for violent and repeat young offenders among a slew of other things. 

The snti crime bill protesters say "In days, Harper will try to push through a crime law that could drastically raise our taxes and dole out harsher punishments for pot smokers than pedophiles"  And that is not the truth at all.  Yes, there are harsher punishments and minimums for pot which I think is wrong, but there are tougher punishments for pedophiles in this bill.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #15339947 - 11/08/11 09:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:

Drug elitist wants "hard drug" users to go to jail.:facepalm:

It's all OK though because at least he "wont get surprised".

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Stop Harper's cruel crime bill [Re: Heffy]
    #15341480 - 11/08/11 07:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

^ :ilold: too.

Quote:

The crime bill toughens the system mostly for white collar crime, human trafficking, pedophilia, anti-terrorism and hard drugs such as cocaine. Sadly, marijuana took a hit too, which I find retarded.

If the person doing cocaine hurt nobody, what does it change to you? Why do you want the people doing "hard drug" (I don't like this wording) in jail?

:dudewtf:

--------------------

---

---

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

#15341546 - 11/08/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
^ :ilold: too.

Quote:

The crime bill toughens the system mostly for white collar crime, human trafficking, pedophilia, anti-terrorism and hard drugs such as cocaine. Sadly, marijuana took a hit too, which I find retarded.

If the person doing cocaine hurt nobody, what does it change to you? Why do you want the people doing "hard drug" (I don't like this wording) in jail?

:dudewtf:

Super addictive, can kill you easily with OD, expensive, surrounded with more violence, etc.

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

#15341562 - 11/08/11 07:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

surrounded with more violence

because of the black market, this is all.

Quote:

Super addictive, can kill you easily with OD

Invest in drug education, not prohibition... etc etc. All the thing you can read on any drug website will tell you otherwise: don't jail non-offensive drug user.

Hasn't there enough evidences?

--------------------

---

---

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

#15341627 - 11/08/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
Quote:

surrounded with more violence

because of the black market, this is all.

True. But it still is a reality.

It shouldn't be, but it is.

Quote:

Super addictive, can kill you easily with OD

Invest in drug education, not prohibition... etc etc. All the thing you can read on any drug website will tell you otherwise: don't jail non-offensive drug user.

Hasn't there enough evidences?

Do you know a crackhead that looks healthy and functions properly? A smack addict that can live a day without heroin?

I am more drug educated than 95% of people and probably as drug educated as you. I just choose to look at the reality and not just the ideology.

Now don't get me wrong here. The experience is awesome, its the abuse that tarnishes the image of drugs.

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

#15341685 - 11/08/11 08:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

^But legal or illegal, people in prison or not, I look at the reality and people will still use drug tomorrow.

And abuse of anything will lead to bad result: nicotine, ethanol, acetaminophen if you want to put it there, alright! Cocaine, heroin, etc too!

I just don't see how these people needing help, the "crackhead" or "smack addict" like you call them, would rehabilitate themselves better in prison without any medical supervision or help from an xyz worker?

:confused:

--------------------

---

---

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

#15341745 - 11/08/11 08:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You ever use cocaine or heroin? Why would you want people to go to jail for putting a substance into their body? If they are violent,steal, etc put them in jail for that. Don't put them in jail for responsible use. I was able to use cocaine and heroin and not devolop a dependancy, responsible users do exist and it is obscene to punish them.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder