Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

thor and anno
    #1532146 - 05/08/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Please do not take this the wrong way, it is not meant as a personal attack. But it is something I have thought about the Suggestion Forum for awhile.

I think that Thor and Anno are actually doing the administration a disservice by attempting to field every question about the site. If you dig through the last month or so, most of the discussion from the administration point of view comes from these guys. The problem? They're not admin anymore.

Take, for example, recent discussions with people like Looner about why he was banned. The administration remained silent (their perogative), but Thor and Anno were vehemently defending the administrative actions.

So what is my problem with it? You guys don't represent those decisions anymore. You're just guessing. Not only that, I've seen plenty of posts from you guys finally just admitting "well I don't know because I'm not an admin anymore". So why are you trying to represent the admins? I feel the administration is made up of (mostly) competent individuals, who are capable of answering if they would like. (And if you actually are answering by their request, why don't you just get that A tag back so it can be official)

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: thor and anno [Re: Captain Jack]
    #1532419 - 05/08/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You have noticed that many other regular users get involved in the discussions in the suggestion forum offering their opinion right?

Are you saying that former admins not be allowed to voice their own opinions here?

I agree the real admins should respond, but is my opinion no longer valid since I stepped down, or anno's?

I do see where you are coming from though, but you have to understand old habbits are hard to break and I can't help caring about issues when they are brought up.

If you remember CJ before I was even a mod I used to post a lot in the suggestion forum with ideas to improve the shroomery.

But if you think its best me and Anno don't speak our minds here then maybe others should voice their opinion on that as well.

If our activitiy here is a detriment to the forum then we should definately stop. So I'll leave it to what others have to say about this issue.

Edited by Thor (05/08/03 09:27 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: thor and anno [Re: Thor]
    #1532444 - 05/08/03 09:39 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck that. Thor and Anno have done this community a great service and their thoughts and opinions are always welcome, as are those of any member here. This forum is designed for feedback, and the only way we get that is through participation.

The administration does take notice of every topic brought up in this forum. We only respond however, when there is an issue necessary of address. If you look through most of the threads in this forum, there has always been administrative comment. You also have to realize that the administration is divided, and as such some threads are better left for technical comment (of which I generally don't reply), and others for general comment.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: geokills]
    #1532648 - 05/08/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: thor and anno [Re: matts]
    #1532683 - 05/08/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Maybe they became admins because, before they were admins, they took an active role in the community... and even though they are no longer admins they still take an active role in the community. 

I think that is the case for sure with Anno, he contributed so much and thats how he earned his position.

I see what CJ is saying though, maybe the active admins could take bigger effort to respond to all threads in this forum because they do afterall represent the 'official' position of the shroomery and me/anno do not.

I remember when I was an admin we had some complaints in this forum about threads not having any responses from the admins and I felt bad about it then.. Maybe thats why I'm so keen now at it :smile:

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1532782 - 05/08/03 11:17 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't intend to say that Thor and/or Anno should stop providing feedback. I think it's pretty obvious the level of contributions they have made.

It's just that when I look around at issues that users are having, I see no admin answers, but I see Thor and Anno answering, and answering from an administrative standpoint, but then saying "but I'm not an admin anymore, you'd have to ask them".

So maybe I'm wrong to say that Thor and Anno are doing the admin a disservice. That is a possible interpretation of it, I guess. And there are other interpretations, like "admins need to reply to issues more".

I don't know the solution, I guess. I just see it as a problem that we've got two ex-admins answering all the admin questions in an unofficial manner and no admins answering them in an official manner. It's like we're getting the likely version of what happened and why, but we can't be sure.

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#1532894 - 05/08/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Cj, I'm sure you could find numerous examples where admins may not provide feedback - but just take a look at the most recent 50 threads in this forum and tell me that we don't make an effort =/

I know that I reply to every goddamn thread in here if it is in my power to provide adequate response. Obviously, if it's a question about scroll bars (eg. Learyfan's recent thread), browser problems, or even a request to kill a specific post... those aren't my area of administration. The two former situations would require response from the technical admins (3D & matts), and the latter example given would be handled by the mods who run the forum where the thread in question exists.

I take it personally when you say the admin is neglecting issues, because for as long as I've been at this site - this is the farthest this forum has come, and I think we're doing a damn good job at paying attention to current issues of concern. Also, even though we may not post in a thread - you can rest assured that at least I (and probably most of the other admins) have given the comment notice and would do everything in our power to give serious consideration to any ideas expressed.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#1533336 - 05/09/03 01:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The only thread in this last month that I really even come close to fitting your description of speaking for the admins is in the Looner post.

In that post I re-read it carefully and it was more than clear that those were my thoughts and not me speaking on behalf of the admins. Same with Anno.

I've been trying hard to react and respond like a user and not as an admin, its not easy to just turn it off after these years.

After looking at this a bit more I'm sorry to say CJ but I think my actions have been totally appropriate, the only thing really lacking is an official response to looner from the admins. That was not my fault, I was only speaking on my behalf of which I made very clear from my first reply.

Edited by Thor (05/09/03 01:45 AM)

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1533440 - 05/09/03 02:13 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OK. I didn't do any research into this post, it's just been something I felt like I've been noticing.

If everybody is happy, then that's OK with me. Don't take this as a serious bone of contention from me or anything, this is an idea that I am throwing out.

We can consider this a dead issue if you guys want.

--------------------
-

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#1534435 - 05/09/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"We can consider this a dead issue if you guys want."
This forum is for feedback, if you honestly don't think we're taking the responses here into consideration - then we have a problem and it shouldn't be wiped under the rug just because we don't see it as a problem in the same way you do. If you have other complaint, by all means spill it.

Thor said,
"the only thing really lacking is an official response to looner from the admins"
By the time I logged onto the boards that day, the thread in question was already locked - and I wasn't about to unlock a thread just to throw my two cents in. Banned users are banned users. It's not something that is open for discussion. They receive an explanation in their PM box, and can PM an administrator to further discuss the action taken.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#1534589 - 05/09/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

CJ I don't take anything too seriously from you man :wink:

Don't feel bad for bringing this up, at worst it reminded me and anno that we have to be carefull how we act and respond to users in this forum.

At best it gave me something to do last night  :grin:

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Thor]
    #1536129 - 05/09/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: thor and anno [Re: Alien]
    #1536448 - 05/10/03 04:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

We moved on.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Thor]
    #1536657 - 05/10/03 08:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#1537063 - 05/10/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Alien... but I wouldn't say we're doing the best job ever.  All the admins put in their time and efforts and sometimes it's just more visible than others.  We are making a conscious effort to keep good communications between the general community and the staff though, so it is nice when we get those compliments :cool:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #1537552 - 05/10/03 06:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

> also, that is you and anno in that car, right? I thought you 2 looked kinda freaky.

I like the idea of that being Thor and Anno in the bouncing car. The Gold Dust Twins heading south down Interstate 95 looking for adventures. Next stop, Reno, Nevada, the "biggest little city in the world!" :cool:

Let me know when you get there. I'll cover your action! :grin:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1537667 - 05/10/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

If you dig through the last month or so, most of the discussion from the administration point of view comes from these guys. The problem? They're not admin anymore.

I would rather read the thoughts of somebody that has actually worn those admin shoes than a simple user such as myself in the instances you highlight. Nobody has more experience or insight than they do on the flows and ebbs here at the shroomery.

The current admins are doing a fine job. I am sure they give a bit more weight to Anno's or Thor's opinions than my own, but in the end the admins make the decision that they want.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder