Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

Loc: Europe
Limestone flour
    #15321815 - 11/04/11 12:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It is difficult to get limestone flour in my area but, I managed to obtain a 30 kg bag for around 3$.
Here is a table of contents I got from manufacturer of that calcium carbonate

1st column is obviously the substance (or diameter of particles at the bottom of table)
2nd is minimum content (in %)
3rd is maximum content (in %)
4th is avrage (in %)
Table contains information about year 2011.
So what worries me is the max measured amount of MgCO3 which is over 4%.
What I remember from Stamets's book, limestone flour should contain less than 3% of magnesium. Is this pure magnesium or magnesium carbonate? Because if he's speaking about pure then I'm ok (MgCO3 contains 28,6% of pure magnesium so after calculating, my flour contains about 1,32% of pure magnesium).
But if that information from "The Mushroom Cultivator" regards any magnesium compound then that flour is over 1% above the proper level.

Maybe I'm being to precise.

What do you think? An opinion from someone with more experience would be welcome.
Peace
GT

--------------------
"Well, like the Good Book says, 'Let he who is without sin throweth the first rock...and I shalt smoketh it!'"

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Limestone flour [Re: GrimTripper]
    #15321885 - 11/04/11 12:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It should be OK, because you're not using much of it.  Why do you need it anyway?  If you're making a casing layer,  a small amount of hydrated lime will work better, and if you're making bulk substrates, they don't need to be limed.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

Re: Limestone flour [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15321941 - 11/04/11 12:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I'm making casing layer.
In this thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6051319#6051319 You advice to use both (calcium carbonate & a little bit of hydrated lime). & gypsum
Besides it is what Stamets recommends for casing layer in his book.

Calcium hydroxide is hard to find here. I mean its hard to find it in a gardening shop (i got a bag of it from a shop with masonry supplies so i dont know if its any good?)

--------------------
"Well, like the Good Book says, 'Let he who is without sin throweth the first rock...and I shalt smoketh it!'"

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

Offlinenasser
shroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: jordan Flag
    #15322203 - 11/04/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

looooooooool

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15322604 - 11/04/11 03:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GrimTripper said:
Yes I'm making casing layer.
In this thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6051319#6051319 You advice to use both (calcium carbonate & a little bit of hydrated lime). & gypsum
Besides it is what Stamets recommends for casing layer in his book.

Thank you for using the search engine.  I've been on somewhat of a rant today for folks failing to search for their answers first.  However, if you read that post again, I'm not saying to use both.  Use limestone or hydrated lime.  I prefer hydrated lime for casing layers because it goes to work right away when the contaminant spores are landing on your casing layer. 

Limestone takes time to break down enough to alter the pH, and the average life of a casing layer is less than thirty days, so the limestone isn't going to be of much use.  I used to advise against type S hydrated lime, but after using it repeatedly, it works fine.  Get it at masonry shops or feed stores, but be careful.  A little bit goes a long way and you can certainly make your casing layer too basic if you use too much.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15322845 - 11/04/11 04:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"i got a bag of it from a shop with masonry supplies so i dont know if its any good?"

I wanted to advise caution here.

I have it from a source that I trust:

"No you need horticultural lime. Type s has lot of magnesium in it and is for plaster and mortar."

I see Mg listed in the material that you referenced.

I cannot technically defend the position....confirm of deny?

Take care,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

Re: Limestone flour [Re: Javadog]
    #15323437 - 11/04/11 05:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
However, if you read that post again, I'm not saying to use both.  Use limestone or hydrated lime.

Ok. My bad. Maybe my english is not as good as i thought it is. Thought U said to use 10% of CaCO3, 10% of gypsum & in addition a little bit of Ca[OH]2.
CaCO3 for long time work and hydrated lime for immediate affect...

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Get it at masonry shops or feed stores, but be careful.  A little bit goes a long way and you can certainly make your casing layer too basic if you use too much.
RR

So basing on your experience could You support me with some info about how much of Ca[OH]2 should I use? Peat moss which I have has pH 3,5 - 4,5.
Or is  the "one teaspoon per cup of peat" from thread mentioned above, still accurate?

Quote:

Javadog said:

"No you need horticultural lime. Type s has lot of magnesium in it and is for plaster and mortar."

I see Mg listed in the material that you referenced.

I cannot technically defend the position....confirm of deny?

Take care,

JD

Yes it does contain magnesium. But...
The lime stone flour contains less than 2% of pure Mg, and according to Stamets it should be less  than 3%. So it meets the requirements.
Right?

--------------------

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

#15323483 - 11/04/11 06:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Limestone takes time to break down enough to alter the pH, and the average life of a casing layer is less than thirty days, so the limestone isn't going to be of much use.
RR

Sorry to refer that much to Stamets but, what You said is making me confused. Why would Stamets  recommend using limestone in casing layer if it's not going to do any good in a short period of time?
Or is his book that much out of date that it does not mentions using hydrated lime?
Peace
GT

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15323562 - 11/04/11 06:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"Yes it does contain magnesium. But...
The lime stone flour contains less than 2% of pure Mg, and according to Stamets it should be less  than 3%. So it meets the requirements.
Right?"

You did your homework well.  I did not look up the numbers.  This is good to know.

Take care,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15324193 - 11/04/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The important thing to remember is to use limestone flour and not dolomite lime, often sold for lawns and which can have 20% or more Mg.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

#15325129 - 11/05/11 01:23 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The important thing to remember is to use limestone flour and not dolomite lime, often sold for lawns and which can have 20% or more Mg.
RR

Yes. Mg is why I started this thread anyway (if You read the first post again you'll notice that the amount of magnesium was the thing that bothered me)
I bought dolomite lime but before using it I looked up some info and ended up returning it to the store.

I guess I'll have to give it a try (one tray with CaCO3 & one with Ca[OH]2) and see for myself which one gives better results.

Ok, thank you, JD & RR, for helping me resolve my concerns.

Peace
GT

--------------------

Edited by GrimTripper (11/05/11 01:40 AM)

InvisibleUmeltin
Gregory

#15325150 - 11/05/11 01:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i got a 50lb bag for $5 and use it with this tek..                    http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15325170 - 11/05/11 01:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GrimTripper said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

Yes. Mg is why I started this thread anyway (if You read the first post again you'll notice that the amount of magnesium was the thing that bothered me)
I bought dolomite lime but before using it I looked up some info and ended up returning it to the store.

I guess I'll have to give it a try (one tray with CaCO3 & one with Ca[OH]2) and see for myself which one gives better results.

Ok, thank you, JD & RR, for helping me resolve my concerns.

Peace
GT

..and thank you for pointing out the threshold for concern.

I only knew of the concern, and not the amount.

Good luck!

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

#15326277 - 11/05/11 11:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Javadog said:

..and thank you for pointing out the threshold for concern.

I only knew of the concern, and not the amount.

Good luck!

JD

I checked again the amount of Mg and appears I made a tiny mistake. Stamtes recommends less than 2% of magnesium (not 'less then 3%' like I said before).
I know the difference is slight, but I just wanted to be precise. Especially when I'm quoting someone.
Peace
GT

--------------------

InvisibleGrimTripper
Male

Re: Limestone flour [Re: Umeltin]
    #15326331 - 11/05/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

masterdebator said:
i got a 50lb bag for $5 and use it with this tek..                    http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

Thank U Sir... It will come in handy for sure :smile:
Peace
GT

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate