Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCelestial Traveler
Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho
Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar?
    #15319869 - 11/03/11 10:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Would prefer bodyweight exercises...thanks

--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGibson33
Male

Loc: Seattle
Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #15319908 - 11/03/11 10:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

uh pushups.

--------------------

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Gibson33]
    #15319914 - 11/03/11 10:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

No way I'm getting a good bicep workout in from doing pushups.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #15319916 - 11/03/11 10:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My dojo practices rear naked chokes using their thigh.

Imagine sitting on your bum, and bringing one knee to your chest, now wrap your bicep and arm around that leg and lock up the choke, squeeze for intervals of 15 seconds on and 5 seconds off till your burnt out.

Worst comes to worst you'll have a wicked-ass choke to show your buddies.

Gibson, you must have the strangest biceps ever :lmafo:

Offlineshr
all hail discordia
Male

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #15320100 - 11/03/11 11:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

biceps are pretty useless in terms of practical strength

get a backpack, put books in it, do curl variations.

reminds me of when i used my laundry bags to workout with when i had no access to a gym :lol:

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: shr]
    #15320362 - 11/04/11 12:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shr said:

reminds me of when i used my laundry bags to workout with when i had no access to a gym :lol:

This is not true.  Anytime you hold something heavy with an underhand grip, biceps help provide stability.  Also if you're going to get stronger, you need to work out your entire body so that one muscle doesn't keep the others lagging behind.

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #15320392 - 11/04/11 12:41 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

biceps are for show, like peacock tails.

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Me_Roy]
    #15321249 - 11/04/11 09:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

chinups.... will do wonders. back pack with books in it...

Offlineshr
all hail discordia
Male

#15321309 - 11/04/11 10:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Celestial Traveler said:
Quote:

shr said:

This is not true.  Anytime you hold something heavy with an underhand grip, biceps help provide stability.  Also if you're going to get stronger, you need to work out your entire body so that one muscle doesn't keep the others lagging behind.

you didn't understand my post.

in terms of practical strength biceps are not very important. they are a very small muscle. obviously it plays its role and no muscle we have is 100% useless, but it is a muscle that doesn't require much focus because you can get sufficient indirect bi training with compound lifts.

besides that, you shouldn't be holding something heavy with an underhand grip, as it would be more practical to hold it with an overhand grip (ie deadlifts, bb shrugs)

i know some guys that don't even bother training biceps regularly because they hit them hard enough on their back day.

im assuming you're focusing on an aesthetic look, and in that case, what i said is of no use to you

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: shr]
    #15321607 - 11/04/11 11:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shr said:
Quote:

Celestial Traveler said:
Quote:

shr said:

you didn't understand my post.

in terms of practical strength biceps are not very important. they are a very small muscle. obviously it plays its role and no muscle we have is 100% useless, but it is a muscle that doesn't require much focus because you can get sufficient indirect bi training with compound lifts.

besides that, you shouldn't be holding something heavy with an underhand grip, as it would be more practical to hold it with an overhand grip (ie deadlifts, bb shrugs)

i know some guys that don't even bother training biceps regularly because they hit them hard enough on their back day.

im assuming you're focusing on an aesthetic look, and in that case, what i said is of no use to you

An example of the practical use of biceps would be when you're moving large boxes.  If you are using an underhand grip and placing your hands under the box (which would be the practical method in this situation) then your biceps are being put to work.  Also anytime one of your muscles is not being worked, the rest of your body's growth will be delayed as well.  It all works as one.

--------------------

Offlineshr
all hail discordia
Male

#15321820 - 11/04/11 12:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:facepalm:

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

#15321944 - 11/04/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

sooo.... who lifts boxes for a living? :lol: i guess if you did that then ok...

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: dshow] * 1
    #15322033 - 11/04/11 01:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Place cushion over face. Push cushion into face as hard as you can, using the palms of your hands. Hold for as long as you can.
This really works out the biceps, try it.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #15322044 - 11/04/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ok  :derp:

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: dshow]
    #15322501 - 11/04/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Lol well who lifts weights for a living?  Lifting weights and getting stronger is a hobby.  In today's world unless you're a physical labor you're probably not going to be using raw physical strength that often...point is its a hobby.  And just because I want to work my biceps out doesn't mean I'm an appearance-obsessed douchebag who just wants to get cuts and show off to women

--------------------

Offlineorison
mcfluffysugarnuts

#15322532 - 11/04/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I get a nice bicep workout with a black Rubber tarp strap with the hook under my chair. Be careful it dont come loose and blast you in the eye.  :eek: it beats sitting in the chair posting, doing nothing...

--------------------

Random Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: orison]
    #15322740 - 11/04/11 03:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

orison319 said:
I get a nice bicep workout with a black Rubber tarp strap with the hook under my chair. Be careful it dont come loose and blast you in the eye.  :eek: it beats sitting in the chair posting, doing nothing...

Guess you better get to it then :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#15322812 - 11/04/11 03:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Upside down pushups? Pushups? 1 handed pushups? Hand stands? Uhm.... curl some heavy thing you can find?

Lol. It's funny because you made a thread 2 months ago "How to widen my biceps"

I think you are obsessed with them :lol:

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Uzziel]
    #15322882 - 11/04/11 04:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Push ups (of any kind) do not do jack shit for your biceps. Muscles work by contracting -- think on it for a sec.

If you want to work your biceps and not be a complete Jersey Shore prettyboy Guido for it, pull-ups are great, because they also work your lats (an your abs a teeny bit).

Yes, I understand that you don't have (or apparently want) a chin up bar.  That's why I recommend that you find a playgrnd with monkeybars.  Do 3 sets to failure (overhand grip) 3x/week and you'll see big improvement.

If you want to preen your plumage in the privacy of your own home without equipment, then suddenly emerge lustrous and beautiful, you're s.o.l. Sorry.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Any exercises for biceps that don't require weights or a pull-up bar? [Re: Me_Roy]
    #15323120 - 11/04/11 04:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Pushups can most certainly work out the biceps. They may not be the main focus but every muscle gets hit along the line gets hit, the main focus is pectorals, anterior deltoids and triceps. Muscles work together though, so there is no way of using your forearms and tris without hitting the biceps, it just isn't gonna happen.

He said he didn't have a pull up bar, and you're telling him to do pull ups... derp.

I don't see why his focus is mainly on biceps. Just do full body exercises... or use youtube if you're incapable of using your brain a bit to figure something out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies