Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
What I love about America...
    #1529046 - 05/07/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Greets,
I've been reading on alot of posts, and being upset with those that say it, that they "hate" America. I think that the problem is is that "we" are seeing a different America than you are.

When I think of America, I think of the Constitution, of the Bill of Rights.  I think of a group of men deciding they want freedom, and they want to give everyone as much personal freedom.  I think of a nation that has shown time and time again that, as every system can, we make mistakes (systematic racism, oppression of women, etcetara) but the beautiful thing about America is that we've fixed those problems! We have the power to fix problems with our laws.  I realize that America has a great deal of laws that limit personal freedom, and I realize that the war on drugs (among other projects) are horribly restrictive on personal freedoms.  But I love that we can all do what we can to change these laws knowing that it might take 25 years, but we are right, and we can make change.  Looking to the past we can see that when the Majority of America is convinced strongly in something, change is inevitable.  In a nation like Iraq, they did not have this privledge.  They didn't have the power as a people to mobilize and be heard by their government, or to try to change unjust laws.  When you look at America, don't see past failures, or current policy issues that you (and I!) disagree with, see the intial freedoms our forefathers wanted us to have.  Read the founding fathers letters and documents.  I agree that not everything being done today is in accordance with their wishes, but I also would expect anyone to concede that the people do have the power to change unjust laws.  That is the America I love, and I don't think their is any better system, at least in idea, anywhere else in existance.  When you say you "hate america", try to think about this question, do you hate what America was founded as, or what America has become (or current policy), if it's the policy, you should realize that it is what America was founded on, those basic principles, that allow you to voice your opinions, that allow you to try as hard as you want to to get things changed, that allows anti-war protestors to protest in front of the White House, numerous times, without restriction (and WITH a permit signed by government workers!), that allows for us to be on this board posting mesages to each other about how hypotetically people could commitfelonies.  Love the values that America was founded on, even if you hate current policy. 

just more stoned ramblings :smile:

Jr

*EDIT* I'd also like to add that it is these basic values of liberty that I would like to see implemented in Iraq.  I think that we are doing that.  THTA is what I want tho, so when I say I want Americanization in Iraq, that is what I mean.  not a Mcdonalds on every corner  and a starbucks inbetween

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Edited by JohnnyRespect (05/07/03 10:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: What I love about America... [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1530024 - 05/08/03 04:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1530047 - 05/08/03 04:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I've been reading on alot of posts, and being upset with those that say it, that they "hate" America. I

Where are these posts which you have used as a platform for your "stoned ramblings"?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: What I love about America... [Re: GazzBut]
    #1530401 - 05/08/03 10:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

He'll have forgotten by now.... :smirk:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: What I love about America... [Re: Xlea321]
    #1530449 - 05/08/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Pretty much every post in the entier spectrum of politics has some liberal white-dreadlocker telling us how bad Bush is, and how evil America is. You've also missed the entire scope of the original letter. Thats analogous to reading the post and refering to typos to judge the quality of it.

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1530507 - 05/08/03 11:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"but the beautiful thing about America is that we've fixed those problems! We have the power to fix problems with our laws."

This is where I think you are mislead...... Do you really think that more lawyers, more politicians, more legislators, more bureaucracy, and more laws are going to solve this nation's problems?

Don't get me wrong, though - I do see what you're saying - I get that seratonin rush in my brain when I think about how amazing the beginning of this country was ("FUCK YOU, we're goin to the New World"), and the intentions and ingenius put into trying to make a document that would be able to survive the most evil politicians and loophole-jumpers - I suppose they've done the greatest job yet, but even that isn't really anything to be super proud of, because the "greatest yet" in our current situation is far from free.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
    #1530591 - 05/08/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

There are more ridiculous contradictions and assumptions in that post than I can shake a stick at.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: What I love about America... [Re: Strumpling]
    #1530597 - 05/08/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Strumpling - Do you really think that America hasn't overcome serious assaults on personal liberty before? I can't honestly think how anyone could ever possibly think that any other nations method of rule, again, in THEORY, is better than the American theory of rule (i.e. democracy) If these "more legislators" are people who are forward looking freedom lovers, then yes, I think it's better. Again, you are arguing that CURRENT POLICY is wrong, which I clearly stated in my post I'd concur with (on certain issues). Another thing that you should love about America, no matter how much you HATE the current president, he can onl yserve two terms, and then we are guaranteed as a people another chance to elect someone else. How many other nations does that happen in? Iraq? Iran? I don't think so.

If you are arguing with my post, please argue the wrongness of the intial purpose of America, a religiously oppressed people moving to a new nation, declaring their liberty from a foreign government, and making a place that loves personal freedoms, rather than restricting them. You might think that America has taken away alot of personal freedoms (probably the first example would be the war on drugs) but how many of you REALLY have a problem obtaining drugs? If America was an evil corrupt police state, I guaratee you we'd never have drugs available to us again.

Jr

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1530679 - 05/08/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

and making a place that loves personal freedoms

As long as you wern't a native american or black...

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1530736 - 05/08/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

INITIAL PURPOSE has nothing to do with our current situation - these politicians don't give a SHIT about the initial purpose; in fact, the constitution gets in their way all the time, as intended, but they honestly are trying to go against initial purpose - there is no doubting that our current politicians don't like the constitution, which speaks volumes for its efficiency, but unfortunately its not good enough and they've found the holes they need to make sure we can't "overcome serious assaults on personal liberty," now its just a matter of getting more bills passed and putting more lines on the ground for us to get lost on

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/08/03 12:30 PM)

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#1530793 - 05/08/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This America you speak of sounds like a swell place! I can't think of anywhere on earth where foreign policy and legislature can be changed(I'm still required by law to walk instead of ride my horse to church on sundays)! Also how did you guys come up with that limited term for the president being able to serve? It's pure genious!

Your right about it not mattering what something is now as long as it was good at the beginning, cause reminissing is F-U-N!

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Edited by sir tripsalot (05/08/03 12:51 PM)

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: What I love about America... [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1530817 - 05/08/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

America worries me.

America used to make great movies!  What happened?  :frown: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: What I love about America... [Re: pattern]
    #1530837 - 05/08/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OK, are you all mentall retarded? I specificaly said that the AmericaI love IS that America. Do you not know what "IS" means (sounds familiary)? And again, when you say "how america is now" is what you hate, i explicitly dealt with that. I wish that for once in here, someone would read a post and ACTUALLY respond to that. It's problems like that that get our welfare forum 6 pages deep talking about,you guessed it, Iraq again. READ MY POST AND REPLY TO THAT. thanks.

jr

--------------------

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1530841 - 05/08/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm done with this thread and all things politcal on these boards. You all need to attend some school of higher learning, put down the remote, turn off MTV and go see what the world is like. I'm sure none of oyu have travelled to any other nations and immersed yourself in their cultures long enough to realize that America, the America that I alluded to, is without a doubt the best thing out there now. Goodbye.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1530892 - 05/08/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

its interesting when people define what america was founded on. sure, it was founded on the bill of rights and the constitution, but it was also founded on slavery and opression. which one had more of an impact on american society? do you think america would be the richest country in the world if it wasnt for all that slavery? free labour for hundreds of years? if you want to be proud of what america was "founded" on, then you should accept that america was founded on oppression, and still functions in a similar manner.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: What I love about America... [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1530899 - 05/08/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Another thing, someone post me the numbers for how many white slaves were brought from Eurpoe, and how many black slaves from AFrica.  I think we'd all be interested in the numbers :smile: I already know them but if I say the pope is catholic I get the liberal pussy ssquad telling me how i'm wrong, so, you guys seek and find.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1530908 - 05/08/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what does it matter if they were black or white, they were still slaves. Im aware that the british used the scottish as slaves, but im quite sure that america used primarily black slaves. what are your sources for these numbers anyways?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Anonymous

#1530910 - 05/08/03 01:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

its interesting when people define what america was founded on. sure, it was founded on the bill of rights and the constitution, but it was also founded on slavery and opression.

it was a concession that had to be made to get the southern states on board for the revolution. believe me, alot of good men objected to it, but there would have been no independence without slavery.

which one had more of an impact on american society?

if you think that slavery had more of an impact on american society than the bill of rights and the constitution, you're a fool.

do you think america would be the richest country in the world if it wasnt for all that slavery? free labour for hundreds of years?

and if you think that, you're also a fool.

if you want to be proud of what america was "founded" on, then you should accept that america was founded on oppression, and still functions in a similar manner.

bullshit... i guess that's to be expected from an englishman on this subject though...

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1530923 - 05/08/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It's true that the U.S. allowed slavery when it was founded. However, it is ignorant to state that it was founded on that institution and opression. I suggest you do a bit of reading. For starters, try The Federalist Papers, The Anti-Federalist Papers, the writings of John Locke.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

Re: What I love about America... [Re: Evolving]
    #1530929 - 05/08/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

something tells me he won't be reading any of those writings any time soon.

he'll just go on believing bullshit about america like that it was founded on oppression and its beer has a 3.5% alcohol content.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate