Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Do not add gypsum to cakes!
    #15307605 - 11/01/11 06:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im making a post to inform others of the hazard of adding gypsum to their pf cake substrate.

If whoever decides to add gypsum, put it in the water and P.H balance to 5-6 before adding it to the dry ingredients.

Im not sure of the P.H of the water I used but adding that 1tbs of gypsum with no P.H up+ lowered it enough that not even one single spore germinated from a one day old spore print.

The one grow I did, I did not add gypsum, it worked. The second two I added gypsum and as I said, nothing grew so.... Yea, If it works for others its because your waters ph is high enough that the tbs of gypsum lowers it to optimal conditions for germination.

:spank:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOnThatJourney
Stranger
Female

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: HybridprX]
    #15308461 - 11/01/11 11:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

What luck! I found this post using the search feature, and it was posted only hours ago, and by a tc at that.

I have been stressing about gypsum. My spores will be arriving today and I have all ingredients needed for the PF tek, except gypsum. I couldn't find any gypsum locally for sale, but I did order a free sample of drywall made of gypsum which won't arrive for another 1-2 weeks.

I don't want to mess up my first grow by not using gypsum just because I lack patience, so I was searching the forums to see if the tek will work without gypsum. That's when I found this post. My dad will be asking his contractor friend about possible drywall scraps. If that comes through in the next few days, I will try some jars with and some without. If it doesn't come through and the drywall sample doesn't arrive, I'm doing the tek without the gypsum.

Edited by OnThatJourney (11/01/11 11:51 AM)

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: OnThatJourney]
    #15308491 - 11/01/11 11:56 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Very interesting indeed

Wat a catch nice job. :toast:

Can't wait to see this thread evolve.

:slomo:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

OfflineRoastedPete
Noun
 User Gallery

Loc: The Candy Kingdom
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: smily]
    #15308540 - 11/01/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I used gypsum for the very first time last month. My PF-style cakes flourished and colonized much faster compared to my other attempts. I am currently waiting to see how their fruits looks--It is day 4 in the tub.

Though, as you said, it is probably my water source. I use straight tap water every time. The gypsum probably just made it even better!

I am wondering what type of water you use? Do you get yours from the tap, or use jugs of distilled/purified water?

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: RoastedPete]
    #15308822 - 11/01/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

last time i grew cakes i used gypsum and shit didnt work out that well for me ill prolly never use it for cakes again :shrug:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Invisiblechopstick
nobody
Male

Loc: Chin's Wok
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: tripdawg420]
    #15309029 - 11/01/11 02:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've never had any problems using gypsum...maybe yours had a fungicide in it?

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: chopstick]
    #15309228 - 11/01/11 03:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:shrug:

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15309441 - 11/01/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting. How did you eliminate every other variable as the cause? I have some cakes with gypsum colonizing now, distilled water, and they seem to be going well at the moment but it will be good to hear what some of the more experienced growers think.

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: Psuperdelic]
    #15309484 - 11/01/11 04:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

does gypsum have nutritional qualities? I use gypsum but I dont know why.  Now im scared to.

Also, WHY would you say to not use it on just cakes? are you still using gypsum on grains?

--------------------
MrFunGuy: "I figured if I put a 15lb cinder block on top of the pot lid that it would cook @15 psi."[]

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: jim617]
    #15309514 - 11/01/11 04:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i dont use it for any thing any more :shrug:i use wbs

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15309572 - 11/01/11 04:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

900+ posts and you dont know what gypsum is for/why you use it? :shocked:

From what I've read it adds sulfur and calcium and acts as a PH buffer to prevent ph level swings. I may be wrong but...wouldn't be the first time :smile:

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: tripdawg420]
    #15309581 - 11/01/11 04:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If there is a "safe supplement" among all those we consider, it would be gypsum.

Even WBS jars can use a pinch, even if only to help prevent clumping.

It is nutritious.

It also has the effect of buffering the sub against pH changes.

It is safe to use.  The OP ran up against something else, if I had to guess.

Take care,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Offlineminitrees
Stranger
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: Javadog]
    #15309608 - 11/01/11 04:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

RR doesn't have anything bad to say about it either.  Here's a quote from his notes.

"I soak anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. It really doesn't make much difference. The grains are only going to absorb so much, so you'll never over-hydrate by boiling. After a few hours to overnight soak, I let the pot boil for five to ten minutes, then drain into the colander. The steam that evaporates off the grains will dry the outside while the water runs down the drain. If you'll toss the colander around with the grains a few times to make them steam off, they're ready to load in twenty minutes. Gypsum serves two purposes. It adds calcium and sulfur, both essential mushroom nutrients, and helps prevent the grains from sticking and clumping up. SOAKING GRAINS"

--------------------
Always enjoy a fun hobby!
Previously minitrees over here: http://www.rollitup.org/grow-journals/295195-minitrees-first-grow-600-watts.html

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: minitrees]
    #15309669 - 11/01/11 04:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im not saying anything bad about using gypsum but just recommending that further experimentation is definitely required as far as adding it to pf cakes.

Chopstick had me thinking that it may have had a fungicide additive in it but then I remembered that I used it in some bulk material which colonized and fruited fine.

I personally feel that the tap waters ph that I used was already low and the addition of the gypsum lowered it enough that the spores will not germinate. I did not have any p.h testing strips so I couldn't post any accurate readings but hey, something for people to look into.

--------------------

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

#15309683 - 11/01/11 05:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psuperdelic said:
900+ posts and you dont know what gypsum is for/why you use it? :shocked:

From what I've read it adds sulfur and calcium and acts as a PH buffer to prevent ph level swings. I may be wrong but...wouldn't be the first time :smile:

900 posts doesnt make me a profesional. just means im asking a lot of questions lol.  I never saw a mushroom grow out of my bedroom wall so I wouldnt think shrooms could colonize gypsum. I never saw proof that gypsum worked either but I still use it.

--------------------
MrFunGuy: "I figured if I put a 15lb cinder block on top of the pot lid that it would cook @15 psi."[]

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15309812 - 11/01/11 05:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I didn't mean it in a bad way, was just surprised. Maybe I'm doing too much reading and not enough tripping :grin: 

Aint nothing wrong with asking questions, shroomery would be a pretty lonely place without them plus, what would I do with all my free time when I'm not wispering words of encouragement to my colonizing cakes :smile:

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

#15309834 - 11/01/11 05:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psuperdelic said:
Yeah, I didn't mean it in a bad way, was just surprised. Maybe I'm doing too much reading and not enough tripping :grin: 

Aint nothing wrong with asking questions, shroomery would be a pretty lonely place without them plus, what would I do with all my free time when I'm not wispering words of encouragement to my colonizing cakes :smile:

It was kind of a stupid question, but I dont understand why we need to put just a small pinch of gypsum if its so good for the myc. but coffee is the same way. its just how it is.

--------------------

InvisiblePhoenix Crash
Lesbian Seagull
Male

Loc: From Paris With Love
    #15309913 - 11/01/11 06:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nothing at all wrong with adding Gypsum to WBS or BRF cakes. I use it in almost every batch. My friend who trips just about batch I grow says that he thinks that the ones grown with gypsum in the mix are even more potent than the ones grown without it. Haven't checked to verify that myself though. But, as far as growing goes, my myc seems to grow even better when I use it, so I'm pretty sure the gypsum is NOT your problem.

--------------------
Why is pot against the law? It wouldn't be because anyone can grow it, and therefore you can't make a profit off it, would it? - Bill Hicks

Phoenix Crash LC Tek
DIY Magnetic Stir Bars Tek

"Not all drugs are good, all right? Some of them… are fuckin' great. Just gotta know your way around them, is all."

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: OnThatJourney]
    #15310088 - 11/01/11 06:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OnThatJourney said:
What luck! I found this post using the search feature, and it was posted only hours ago, and by a tc at that.

I have been stressing about gypsum. My spores will be arriving today and I have all ingredients needed for the PF tek, except gypsum. I couldn't find any gypsum locally for sale, but I did order a free sample of drywall made of gypsum which won't arrive for another 1-2 weeks.

I don't want to mess up my first grow by not using gypsum just because I lack patience, so I was searching the forums to see if the tek will work without gypsum. That's when I found this post. My dad will be asking his contractor friend about possible drywall scraps. If that comes through in the next few days, I will try some jars with and some without. If it doesn't come through and the drywall sample doesn't arrive, I'm doing the tek without the gypsum.

You do not need gypsum for the PF tek.  most starting out dont use it with their cakes and have great success.

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: The Influence]
    #15310130 - 11/01/11 06:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ya cakes do real good anyways

--------------------
HUSTLER
epic GT mono tub

wbs tek
coir tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15310815 - 11/01/11 08:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Im making a post to inform others of the hazard of adding gypsum to their pf cake substrate.

If whoever decides to add gypsum, put it in the water and P.H balance to 5-6 before adding it to the dry ingredients.

Im not sure of the P.H of the water I used but adding that 1tbs of gypsum with no P.H up+ lowered it enough that not even one single spore germinated from a one day old spore print.

The one grow I did, I did not add gypsum, it worked. The second two I added gypsum and as I said, nothing grew so.... Yea, If it works for others its because your waters ph is high enough that the tbs of gypsum lowers it to optimal conditions for germination.

You are absolutely incorrect.

First of all, gypsum isn't going to alter the pH much, other than to return it to neutral, since it's neutral or nearly so.  In addition, mushroom mycelium prefers to germinate and grow at a pH of around 5, so your hypothesis about what went wrong(low pH) is totally off the mark.  Furthermore, why would you add something to lower the pH, add gypsum and then raise the pH???  It makes no sense whatever.  You screwed up somewhere else, but it wasn't the gypsum.

Quote:

HybridprX said:
I personally feel that the tap waters ph that I used was already low and the addition of the gypsum lowered it enough that the spores will not germinate.

If the pH of the tap water was low, the gypsum would have raised it back towards neutral.  I'd suggest some more reading about mineral supplements. 

Also, the idea expressed earlier that gypsum, a rock that is quarried out of the ground would have fungicides, is ridiculous.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJaffyJaffar
Nom Nom Nom
Male

Loc: AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15310970 - 11/01/11 09:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

boom goes the dynamite

i used gypsum and harvested about an oz out of 4 cakes with only 1 flush and 2 cakes in 2 flushes

OfflineKoD
Vive liber
Male

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15311000 - 11/01/11 09:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Gypsum has calcium sulfate dihydrate which is believed to be good for the mycelium and/or fruiting bodies. It acts as a buffer as well. Calcium sulfate will slightly acidify a substrate as sulfuric acids evolve.
You should add a base to your acidic substrate.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: KoD]
    #15311234 - 11/01/11 10:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

this thread is nothing but fail (minus RRs post)  :failboat:

:facepalm3:

gypsum at any stage of growth is benifical no doubt, no further "testing" required... I even have added it to my agar mix b4 to add calcium/sulfate at each growth stage. :yesnod:

gypsum = good for mushroom growth at any time/phase. :super:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: 13shrooms]
    #15311319 - 11/01/11 10:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well 13, I tried.

I need to leave these things to TCs.  Only you guys are trusted.

Later,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: Javadog]
    #15311354 - 11/01/11 10:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Javadog said:
If there is a "safe supplement" among all those we consider, it would be gypsum.

Even WBS jars can use a pinch, even if only to help prevent clumping.

It is nutritious.

It also has the effect of buffering the sub against pH changes.

It is safe to use.  The OP ran up against something else, if I had to guess.

Take care,

JD

Quote:

Javadog said:
Well 13, I tried.
Later,

JD

:bigyesnod:

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

#15316588 - 11/03/11 06:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I will prepare nine pfcakes, 3 with gypsum, 3 without and 3 with gypsum and the addition of coffee.

Im not trying to be smart but RR you said you use coffee with your soak water so wouldnt that raise the overall ph and then the addition of gpsum would lower it to a favorable level for spore germination?

and to be totally honest, I cant remember what TMC said was optimum substrate ph for spore germination.... I'll review it later today.

Im not going to rule out the possability of the gypsum containing a fungicide agent just yet since when I added it to the bulk material the mycelium was extremely healthy and we all know how versitile it can be. I will take plenty of pictures and post the results shortly.

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #15316612 - 11/03/11 06:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

coffee adds nitrogen, doesnt swing the PH enough to worry about. IME. :strokebeard:

Ive never even tested the ph when growing cubes. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15316634 - 11/03/11 06:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Im not trying to be smart but RR you said you use coffee with your soak water so wouldnt that raise the overall ph and then the addition of gpsum would lower it to a favorable level for spore germination?

Coffee is acidic so if anything it would lower the pH not raise it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15316643 - 11/03/11 06:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
Ive never even tested the ph when growing cubes. :mushroom2:

Seriously. Especially cakes. 2:1:1 verm, brf, H2O

Done deal.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleDoctor_Inoc
Vintage Hand
    #15316969 - 11/03/11 09:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Im not going to rule out the possability of the gypsum containing a fungicide agent just yet since when I added it to the bulk material the mycelium was extremely healthy and we all know how versitile it can be. I will take plenty of pictures and post the results shortly.

Should state on the packaging whether or not there's an anti-fungal in the gypsum used.  Use agricultural grade gypsum, sourced from a local nursery/greenhouse retailer/wholesaler. 

Whether or not gypsum or any substrate material and/or additive is treated with a fungicide'll only cause SPORES not to germinate.  An already established mycelial culture won't be phased by the addition of fungicide(s) to the substrate materials and/or additives.

Offlineghostshadow422
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Do not add gypsum to cakes! [Re: Doctor_Inoc]
    #19067516 - 11/01/13 12:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I've seem to have gotten about 5 grams dried per half pint cake, how much more is the yield from the added gypsum? the post above said an oz from 4 cakes? is that dried or fresh? and is that using hp cakes?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19067598 - 11/01/13 12:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
This thread is too full of fail for a bump.  It will only screw up people's grows by misinformation from those who don't understand pH.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate