Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty'
    #1530081 - 05/08/03 07:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Iran 'violating nuclear treaty'

Iran 'violating nuclear treaty'
Washington hurls accusation and calls for greater global pressure but Teheran says its nuclear programme is peaceful

WASHINGTON - Iran has done little to cooperate with UN inspectors on its nuclear programme, according to the US.

The comment by a senior American official on Tuesday reinforces Washington's view that Teheran is violating a key treaty and should face more international pressure.

'Nothing that we have seen suggests the Iranians are being transparent about their nuclear activities in the true meaning of transparent,' said the official, who declined to be named.

'It's deny and deceit, cheat and retreat. Nothing that we see about the programme convinces us that they are in compliance with the 1970 Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty.'

Washington has intelligence about Iran's programme and has made some of it available to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Iran defended its nuclear programme at a closed IAEA briefing in Vienna on Tuesday, insisting that it was peaceful.

Iran looms as a major issue when the agency, the United Nations bureau for overseeing compliance with non-proliferation commitments, holds a board meeting next month.

If director-general Mohammed ElBaradei reports to the board of governors that Iran is not complying with the treaty, the board's response could lead to another nuclear stand-off.

The United States is already locked in a confrontation with North Korea over nuclear issues.

The senior official said that if the board found non-compliance by Iran, the matter should be reported to the UN Security Council. He did not spell out what steps Washington might then endorse.

The Bush administration is grappling with the issue now that the Iraq war is winding down and disturbing new details have been revealed about Teheran's nuclear activities.

Assistant Secretary of State for Non-Proliferation John Wolf said last week that Iran provided 'perhaps the most fundamental' challenge ever to the bedrock treaty, which was designed to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.

He accused Iran of conducting 'an alarming, clandestine programme to acquire sensitive nuclear capabilities that we believe make sense only as part of a nuclear weapons programme'.

A February visit by Mr ElBaradei confirmed Iran had the ability to build gas centrifuges, a key component in nuclear weapons production.

The US has branded Iran a major sponsor of terrorism,

Senior Iranian officials have said they are committed to developing the full range of nuclear fuel cycle facilities.

The IAEA found an accelerated programme which forced US officials to shorten their estimates as to when Iran might acquire weapons capability.

Teheran is said to be on track to produce enough enriched uranium for many nuclear bombs by 2005.

Since February, Mr ElBaradei has sought more information and, according to the BBC, on Tuesday praised Iran for cooperating with the IAEA.

US Undersecretary of State John Bolton left Moscow on Tuesday apparently without winning Russia over to the US view.

And French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin, who was visiting Teheran, said there was progress on the nuclear issue. -- Reuters

Edited by Anonymous (05/08/03 07:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty' [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1530479 - 05/08/03 12:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

holy....................... fuckin......................... shit!

These scumbags aren't even going to take a small break after Iraq before they shit all over another country?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty' [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1531342 - 05/08/03 05:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The US has branded Iran a major sponsor of terrorism

What a surprise...A country that the U.S. Adminsitration is unhappy with is being called a "major sponsor of terrorism". Soon we'll be hearing about how Iran and North Korea were also involved in the 9/11 attacks.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty' [Re: Rono]
    #1531387 - 05/08/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mabye saddam fled to iran instead of syria.... :tongue:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty' [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1531388 - 05/08/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

......and took his WMD with him! :wink:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1531538 - 05/08/03 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

God bless America...

...From our governments stupidity... :smile:

Offlinearabmobster

Loc: Palestine
    #1531543 - 05/08/03 06:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

iran all the way

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1532658 - 05/09/03 12:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Does Iran have any oil?

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear trea [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1533128 - 05/09/03 02:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Of course!  :smirk:

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1534122 - 05/09/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Bush runs the country like he's Goldberg or some shit.

"WHO'S NEXT!?"

He's got about as much brain power as a pro-wrestler to.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Wonder if Iran will comply. Iran 'violating nuclear treaty' [Re: Learyfan]
    #1534754 - 05/09/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

One...small step....for man.....one big step.....for globalization.

A step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Come on people - we should all realize by now that American is aiming towards globalization, in the americanized sense. Don't act like democrats don't want it either, they are just to slow and pussy shit to stand up and go for it.

I don't honesty know what we can do to fight globalizaiton, but I do know that once it occurs, there will no longer be such thing as personal freedom anymore, or atleast within 20 years of it happening anyway.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion