Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Mylar Film

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Loc: the Netherlands
Harvest
    #1530031 - 05/08/03 06:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hello there again,

at the beginning of this cycle I had troubles with humidity. Solved that by placing colabottles ovr the clones, shaping them a 80% RH climate.

But as harvest time got closer we experienced another problem:
Altough we had very large plants, the buds wouldn't get as thick as they should be. It grew nice until the last 2 weeks before harvest, it looks if its stopped there?

After harverst I noticed that the stem of the plant was very hollow. if you have a stem of 1cm thick and there is a hollow inner of 0.7cm that cannot be good!

Can someone teel me what causes this hollow stem?

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Europe

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Re: Harvest [Re: paddoholland]
    #1538632 - 05/11/03 08:43 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This is how it looked like:

This is week 6 of blooming, should bloom another 4 weeks, but as the leafs got more yellow, they had to be harvested 2 weeks before they should be harvested.
Does anyone know how this can be prevented?

--------------------

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
    #1538661 - 05/11/03 09:39 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well first off, the hollow stem is completely normal. As for the growth of the buds stopping, that's normal as well. Bud growth will pretty much come to a halt as you near harvest time. If you don't think that your buds are as big as they could be, try keeping the light a little bit closer to your plants next time. The yellowing of the leaves is normal as well nearing harvest time. Also, I don't really think that you harvested too early. Unless that is a heavily sativa dominated plant you shouldn't have to let it flower for 10 weeks. I think you probably harvested at just the right time. Nice plants!

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Re: Harvest [Re: NeonBlack]
    #1540561 - 05/12/03 02:26 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

But the stems were more hollow than normal, of course there's a little hole in the middle, but now there was more hole than stem!
I don't really know what cause the bad harvest, I've had better in my other closet, wich was smaller, about 0.4square meters surface, 1,60 meters high. NOw I have more than 1 square meter surface and it's hight is 2 meters.
I use larger pots, first 3 liters now 10.
All help is welcome. It seems at the end it couldn't take up as much fertilizer as it needed. That made it ready for harverst more early than expected. They said it needed a 10 weeks blooming period, now it was 8.
The centerbud, wich supposed to grow the largest, was not big at all, the sides produced better buds, that's not normal either.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1542452 - 05/12/03 07:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well it wasnt a perfect harvest but its still bud and from your pic looks like  quite a bit of bud.  so quit complaining and go smoke a fatty :smile:  did you have more light in the new bigger closet?  if not then that is probly why the harvest was not as fuitful.  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Re: Harvest [Re: blaze2]
    #1543717 - 05/13/03 01:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I use a bigger closet with the same light, but it's supposed to be good enough for one square meter.
Maximum harvest is 1 gram/watt so 400watt would give max 400grams. With a harvest of 135grams it isn't a good harvest.
I supposed to get enough money out of it to smoke myself and have enough to pay for electricity, new plants etc.
Now I have a skinny 135, wich is just enough for myself in 2,5 months.
Now I now there can be bigger yields so I'm just trying to sort things out.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1544286 - 05/13/03 05:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

is the inside of the closet painted flat white or covered n mylar? that would help. is it a HPS or MH? just wondering. i think the other closet worked better because there were more lumens per square foot. i agree that is enough tho. i just think that there because of the higher concentration of light they grew bigger buds. you could try super cropping. the tek is in the overgrow faqs. basicly you remove any leaves that might block light from getting to bud sites but only those leaves. if you try to make the walls shiny dont use a mirror the light passes through glass and gets filtered. well thats all i can think of. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

#1547399 - 05/14/03 06:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you closely to the pic, you see there is NASA-foil inside.
This shoud have the biggest reflection of all.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1549862 - 05/15/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

sorry about that it kinda blends in. where in the world did you get NASA foil? my bet is on the lower light to area ratio. maybe get some cheap flouros and place them on the sides of the plants. also try supercropping i hear it does work. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

#1553049 - 05/16/03 02:23 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Whell first of all, the nasa-foil is sold here at the growshops. They say that it is the best thing you can have for optimal reflection. Second, I have a closet. A 400w HP sodium lamp is able to cover 1 square meter, and is able to have a harvest of 400 grams dry product max.
Now I have only 135, thats not enough. Third, I have closely examined my outdoor harvest. If I put it next to the indoor with hollow stem there is a very obvious difference in hollowness. The indoor stem is much more hollow than the outdoors. I never had such hollow stems with previous 3 years indoor growing. This is caused by something, and I still haven't got a clue!

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1557216 - 05/18/03 02:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

do you have a fan on in your grow room to blow on the plants? in the open the stem would have to be thicker to compensate for the higher wind velocitys. thats my guess on that one.

on your other ? 400grams dry would be the maximum as you said but there are alot of varibles that could make it less. like plant number, area to light ratio, fertilizers, soil composition, etc. so i dont think that it would be unheard of to have a less than maximum harvest.

also i realize that you are correct a 400w HPS is perfectly fine for that size closet. but my point is that when it was in the smaller one there was more light/lumens per square foot. i really think that super cropping would work for you since when i look at your picture you have a really dense canopy. thus restricting light to all but the tops of the colas. the challenge in growing is that nothing is garunteed. there just is too many varibles, to have a sucessful grow you must control as many of these as possible. at least thats what i have observed. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

#1580876 - 05/27/03 09:55 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Whell,

I now have a fan hanging in my closet, it's true that my plants didn't move at all, so the didn't have to have a thicker stem.

We also created more holes in the closet. We onl had one inlet-hole, wich was cover with a dustblocker. So the air inflow was too low. Now we have made 4 holes where through the fresh air can enter the closet. This will give the plants more fresh CO2 wich is essential for thick buds.

What do you mean with supercropping?

Is this removing the smallest buds, wich cannot develop as much as the bigger buds, or is this removing leaf, so the buds get more light.

I NEVER remove leaves, beacause the leaves contain chlorofyl.
Chlorofyl + light = Energy, wich will make the buds bigger.

For removing the little buds at the lower parts of the stem, yess I do that, and I leave the leaves on, so I try to remove a beginning bud, but I don't remove the leaves around. So the energy that has gone to this little bud will now go to the bud above the removed one, and this bud will be bigger as it gets more light!

I do think that this harvest must be up to 200grams or more.
Than I can see that the changes are succesfull.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1581726 - 05/27/03 04:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

if you go to overgrow.org and look in their faq section there is an article on supercropping with photos and everything. you only remove leaves where they are blocking light from getting to a bud site. its hard to explain without the pictures but if you read it it will make since. the extra holes will make a difference. so will the fan. let us know how the next harvest goes. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time andspace
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #1582106 - 05/27/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

true, but some "manicure" is really needed to increase yields

Invisiblepaddoholland
addict

Re: Harvest [Re: CLuB99]
    #1583470 - 05/28/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

true, but some "manicure" is really needed to increase yields

I will read the overgrow faq, andmaybe I will try out.
Than I will see if it will help.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Mylar Film

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden