Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekevinb70
desert whore

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Possible Cubes?
    #1529521 - 05/08/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Friend called me up saying he thought he found some cubes, for me to bring the digital camera to get these ID'd...

Near Atlanta, GA
Warm weather, been raining pretty hard off and on the past few days.
Picked in the afternoon, I didn't get to see/photograph them until about 3 hours after they were picked... I believe they are darker in the pics than they would be, freshly picked.
Near a subdivision, rural area, pastures aplenty around here... these were from a composted yards and manured lawns.

Stems... hollow but sturdy (didn't wilt after a few hours)
Spore print color - a very dark purple or black
Bruising: I didn't get to them until several hours later to try bruising them, but at this time... a slight darkening when injured (due to the wetness?)
Scent: very faint smell... like damp wood, for lack of any better words. Not unpleasant.
Measurements: the graph paper in the pictures are 5 grids to an inch. Most mushrooms were 2 to 4-5 inches long, 0.5" to 2 inch wide caps.
Cap fairly smooth, under an 8x loupe, the cap looks a bit rougher than the texture of paper (kind of fibrous like paper).

PICTURES WERE TAKEN 3-4 HOURS AFTER PICKED (WHILE RAINING)

I also went out pasture hunting again a couple of weeks back, will have those up... but I did find one really neat specimen...

Edited by kevinb70 (05/08/03 12:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Loc: Atlanta Georgia
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: kevinb70]
    #1529633 - 05/08/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Umm... The friend wants to make sure these are Cubensis before he eats them, says the friend.

Signed,
The friend :grin: 

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1529653 - 05/08/03 12:54 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know what they are...but am am pretty positive that they are not cubensis.

You should find a knowledgable hunter to go pick with.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinekevinb70
desert whore

Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: ATLien]
    #1529805 - 05/08/03 02:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

LOL @ "the friend"

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1529819 - 05/08/03 02:35 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I really really don't think any of those are psilocybes.
Definitely don't eat them!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: zeta]
    #1529911 - 05/08/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

pans of some kind could be subbs try bruising it at the bottom of the stem. do a search on them and look in the faq for some pics also angry has some pics of some in his new thread. but they could be some other non active pan so dont get all exicited yet. one of the experts will try to id sometime just wait for that. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1530328 - 05/08/03 09:11 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hi kevinb70,

You did the right thing by first photographing the mushrooms and getting a second opinion on what you found.
Smart and safe hunting dude, i thank you.

Those are definately not Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms.

They are a very common mushroom in your area (GA) and they can be distinguished by their velvet-like textured caps.
They are not edible, nor are they psychoactive.

Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms are found in cow pastures, and they grow directly from the pieces of decomposing cow dung.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Edited by GGreatOne234 (05/08/03 09:13 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: blaze2]
    #1530333 - 05/08/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

No Blaze2 they are not subs. The bottoms ones look like an Agrocybe.

But there is nothing psychoactive in any of those shrooms.

mj

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1531252 - 05/08/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

my bad mj i havent seen a pann subb in person so i just took a guess.  ive seen em look similar in pictures tho.  but now that i look at that stem on the bottom left one i know i was way off. 

so what are they gg you sounded like you knew exactly what they were by the way you wrote that.  im curius and allways trying to learn :smile:  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: blaze2]
    #1531623 - 05/08/03 04:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

holding back my frustration at peoples inability to ID this EVER SO COMMON MUSHROOM!!!! Your first pictures are of Psathyrella velutina, or the "velvety psathyrella". It is probably the most common widespread mushroom of the southeast fruiting damn near year round, commonly found alongside or in the area of Ps. weilii in GA.

MJ, agrocybe??? Man, you just like pissing in the wind or what?
LK,

--------------------

OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Loc: Atlanta Georgia
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: Lizard King]
    #1532477 - 05/08/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

holding back my frustration at peoples inability to ID this EVER SO COMMON MUSHROOM!!!! Your first pictures are of Psathyrella velutina, or the "velvety psathyrella". It is probably the most common widespread mushroom of the southeast fruiting damn near year round, commonly found alongside or in the area of Ps. weilii in GA.

LK,

How about holding back your frustration just a little more for me, because you're frustrating me. Everybody is a "newbie" at some point, you weren't born with a mycology degree, just like Aristotle had to at some point learn his ABC's. Everybody has to start somewhere and it's attitudes like that which make people afraid to post pictures and ask questions and end up poisoning themselves, so have a little more patience okie dokie?

--------------------

OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
    #1532498 - 05/08/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think LK was referring to you, ATLien. I think it was more his surprise at resident experts like mj misidentifying them. Since apparently, they're quite common.
He just wants you to get the right ID, I'd say.

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

OfflineNapkinOfDoom
The CombatWombat

#1532511 - 05/08/03 10:02 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

wow that dude has some balls to talk to mj like that...he's practically a legend in these parts

OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: NapkinOfDoom]
    #1532576 - 05/08/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hah. Yeah, the kids are always questioning Mushroom John's authority these days :P

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

Offlinekevinb70
desert whore

Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1532583 - 05/08/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for all the ID help.
Wishful thinking. After I got home and checked for bluing (none), I had big doubts.

Obviously the most significant finding was the lack of bluing - instead it would just turn a darker, mushy wet color.  Thought it was possible bluing only occurs just after being picked.  It does bear a similiar resemblance to the sets of pictures I have of cubes, but there were some differences (according to my amateur mind).

I'd definitely never eat anything not positively identified by the experts here (ie, our kind moderators here) and which I myself feel very certain of what has been identified. 

Quote:

You should find a knowledgable hunter to go pick with.

*cough*Lizard King*cough**cough* :smile:

By the way, what species are currently found around Atlanta? cubensis, baeocystis, weilii, and... ??? I assume cubes are the most common, but what's the frequency of the others?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1533880 - 05/09/03 06:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

NO lK, I was actually reffering to the first image, not the last. my mistake.

Here is an image of dung and lawn Agrocybes, which slightly resemble the first image. Although the 2nd species shown are probably the velveltry Psathyrella LK says they are.

Here are a few photos of the dung Agrocybes.

and

They are an orange color so my image is a little off color.

As for the last image I do not know.

mj

AND

kevinb70 ,

P. beaocystis is only indeginous to the PNW

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (05/09/03 06:31 AM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1534646 - 05/09/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yes the velvety psathyrella is its name.

Keep shroomin,
GG

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1534665 - 05/09/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

mj,

You really should go hunting in the Atlanta area  :smile:
-It is a gem of a shroomy area... :smirk:

Keep shroomin,
GG 

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
    #1535034 - 05/09/03 03:07 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i must concur with lk...these damn things are all over the place and i'll go out on a limb and say that they are the most common fruiting shroom around these parts.

last fall i found these things within feet of sir will-eyes. unlike velvety psathyrella which seem to rise up above the grass, weillis like to hide beneath the covers....not always...but generally from my experience that is what i have found.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1536069 - 05/09/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LK, 

Preach it, LK. Preach it. :wink:

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: Gumby]
    #4450386 - 07/25/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

LOL

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: I2ancid]
    #4450399 - 07/25/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

oh, this is an old post

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: I2ancid]
    #4450766 - 07/25/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Double LOL, :lol: :lol: I keep thinkin' LK's back!

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: Possible Cubes? [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4451442 - 07/25/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yea really! Still funny though! :smile:
Take care

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder