Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewatersong7
Stranger
Repeating Thoughts
    #1529494 - 05/08/03 01:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice for dealing with or avoiding getting repetitve thoughts/dwelling on one thought. It happens to me alot, and seems to take some of the fun out of the experience, creating more fear that it will happen, making it happen, etc..... So if you have any tips on how to deal with repetive singular thoughts (breathing exercises, diet, thought patterns. etc...) It'd be greatly appreaceated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Repeating Thoughts [Re: watersong7]
    #1529654 - 05/08/03 02:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say just to try not to dwell on your thoughts, the second you think you're having the problem recognize it and deal with it. I've had problems with trips where I start to think "oh man I shouldn't have ate these mushrooms!" but if I constantly think happy thoughts and just let the shrooms make me think weird thoughts I have fun. Hope this could help you a little, I'm sure there's a lot of shroomerites with good tips to come.

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #1529706 - 05/08/03 03:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

turn on some good music you like and listen carefully. if you have to, turn it up really loud. this will break your train of thought and force you to focus on the music.

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1529807 - 05/08/03 04:25 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Are you into sports at all???

go play hard and come back. I'm usually clear minded after a big workout.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1530560 - 05/08/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say your first step is to bring it up with people like you just did - make the problem that you have a reality in other people's brains :wink:

Step two, now that your issue is verified by others, is to get rid of it - when you get stuck in one of these loops or whatever, tell yourself "hey you're in one of these gay loops and you're just wasting valuable trip-time so fucking relax, take a few deep breaths, and wow that lighter on the table looks all fuzzy.."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Repeating Thoughts [Re: Strumpling]
    #1531158 - 05/08/03 04:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I can't remember who said this, it might have been strumpling actually.  I can't remember the exact quote so I'll paraphrase:

"Being stuck in a thought loop is like being in a room that has no windows but has a door.  You want to get out badly, but you search all over the walls for some way to get out.  You claw and shove and push and scramble but you can't find the way out.  All this time, all you had to do was walk out the door."

I am still working on being able to do this, but this analogy has helped me a lot.  Just deal with it as it comes, and tell that shit to get the fuck out of your head! :smile: 

--------------------
ha

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

Re: Repeating Thoughts [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1531174 - 05/08/03 04:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Go through a door as in change your venue?

Like change music, your room, lighting, seat, activity.

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#1531345 - 05/08/03 05:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I used to have a big problem with thought loops... I would get stuck in them for hours at a time, rotting in the same repetitive thought. It more like getting stuck on a miserable merry-go-round ride rather then getting stuck in a room with a door but no windows. You just have to recognize your opertunity to get off the ride when it comes to a stop rather then staying put and allowing the ride to start all over again.

If you have friends with you, tell them you're stuck in a loop and try to start a conversation that has nothing to do with your current though pattern. If that doesn't work, changing your setting will often help. Try putting on some music, playing some video games or looking in a Art book with colorful pictures. Sometimes something drastic is in order... If you're at home, try jumping in the shower. Basically try doing something that will get your mind off your thoughts.

You'll find with experience, thought loops will become less intrusive and more easily controlled. I believe it's part of the growing pains in the persuit of becoming psycheldically enlightened.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineGorian
Learning the artof Shroom

#1531377 - 05/08/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice for dealing with or avoiding getting repetitve thoughts/dwelling on one thought. It happens to me alot, and seems to take some of the fun out of the experience, creating more fear that it will happen, making it happen, etc..... So if you have any tips on how to deal with repetive singular thoughts (breathing exercises, diet, thought patterns. etc...) It'd be greatly appreaceated.

Holy shit dude that's crazy , it happens to me alot and i fucking hate it =p

--------------------

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
    #1534306 - 05/09/03 12:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Buy some ambient music, as kind of backround music for your trip. Buy a CD from "Boards of Canada" and anytime you get to a place you dont like, focus on the details of the music. This will work 90% of the time.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Re: Repeating Thoughts [Re: Strumpling]
    #1535771 - 05/09/03 10:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tell yourself "hey you're in one of these gay loops and you're just wasting valuable trip-time so fucking relax, take a few deep breaths, and wow that lighter on the table looks all fuzzy.."

Yea man... whenever shit happens to my trip and I get paranoid I jus think "Hey I'M TRIPPIN" if that doesn't help then just fall to the ground laughing.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1536065 - 05/10/03 01:27 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice for dealing with or avoiding getting repetitve thoughts/dwelling on one thought.

When this is happens to me during a trip, I often have some of my most enlightening, or mind expanding, experiences.  I call them thought loops, and they can be used to your benefit, or they can take you down a dark road to the land of paranoia.

I can usually tell when a thought loops is getting started.  If I feel the negative, paranoia, side of one, I quickly do something different.  Go outside, get inside, listen to music, turn off the music, turn on lights, or turn off lights, or go smell some of the bottles in the spice cabinet, or eat a bite of ice cream, anything to bump your mind out of the loop.  Usually I only get negative thought loops if I am doing something, or in a situation, that I don't want to be dealing with... such as a non-tripping drunk getting kicks from messing with you while you are trying to hold onto your sanity.  :smile:

If you learn to loose yourself in a thought loop, an undescribable view of reality opens up.  I usually loose myself in thought loops by trying to figure out the mathmatics that would allow me to model the flowing textures on the wall.  A good friend of mine that learned to do this looses herself in classical music, analyzing the different patters in the music and how they play off one-another.

The first time you realize that you have been lost while the rest of you has been hanging out somewhere else you will tend to panic.  To me it feels like being shot out a cannon from the bottom of a swimming pool as I reintegrate.  Once you assure yourself that everything is intact, some of the thoughts and feelings that you experienced will hover at the edge of your mind, similiar to remembering a dream after you wake up in the morning.

It doesn't work, for me at least, to make a thoughtful attempt to loose myself in a thought loop.  Instead I realize that I can use a thought loop to analyze something I find interesting (over and over and over) and let the loop take over from there.  Remember that you wont get lost in a thought loop... it is simply another key that the mushroom has provided to open more doors.

The above works for me and one other person that I know.  I haven't ever really tried to explain it in writing before this.  Has anybody else out there used a loop for a similiar experience?  ... hmmm, I am feeling kinda wordy tonight :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Repeating Thoughts [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1536354 - 05/10/03 04:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"I can't remember who said this, it might have been strumpling actually."

I can't take credit for that :smile: it wasn't me :grin: but I'm flattered :tongue:

I was thinking about this a bit more while re-reading this thread and noticed a few fixes that I haven't had luck with..

"tell that shit to get the fuck out of your head!"

heh whenever I've done something to that effect, "that shit" will just engulf me further :wink: - its like I'll discover a part of the whole that bothers me, but I can't make it go away because its a part of the whole - its connected... so I think whenever I tried to make it go away, I would be led back to it by my subconscious (which knows I'm trying to avoid this part..) - I just had to say that trying to get rid of a particular thought or something like that really never worked for me, but we've all got different programming so I don't doubt that it can work..

"Like change music, your room, lighting, seat, activity."

This is just more of a set/setting preference I believe, but I usually trip with just music playing and very little lighting (occasionally I go with no music or light even), with no real "activities" planned outside of the orgy in my brain.. I attempt to not really do anything but observe my observations, and remain as still as possible - if anybody else out here trips like this, they know that changing the room, lighting, seat, or acticity are kind of "unacceptable" :wink: and that you're there with your brain and its time to work it out on your own :smile: or maybe with a bit of conversation if you still remember how to talk (I've certainly "lost" speech before) :wink: and there's somebody there to talk to.

Seuss, I think you mentioned change of set/setting as well but I always try and stick with what I started with :wink: Usually the only external thing I'll use to distract myself from myself is the music - I ride the music (or silence) a bit deeper for a while if I'm feeling detached or "loopy" :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/10/03 04:31 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience