Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSolo
enthusiast
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: shroomtacular]
    #1531153 - 05/08/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Read up on schizophrenia. I work with adults who have various mental illnesses, mainly those adults that have severe mental illnesses. Schizophrenia is a disorder of the brain, an organ in the body just like the lungs or kidneys, etc...

If this is interfering with your life I'd consider seeing a doctor about it. They can not force any treatment (unless you are homicidal or suicidal) but can recommend treatment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: Solo]
    #1531287 - 05/08/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This is nothing serious. Its very common, lots of people hear or see things when their brain waves are changing into or out of sleeping mode. Lots of people you can clearly see are out of it when they wake up, falling asleep is the same except you dont remeber it as well and theres no real life stuff happening.

For me alot of rest fixed me up.

I doubt its skitso since its only as you're falling asleep. They dont say anything and dont interfear with his life in anyway except maybe sleeping which still sounds like thats minimule. Even if he was skitso this doesn't sound like a serious case at all and I'm sure he's better w/ it than w/ the side effects of meds. Atleast at the level he is right now.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Hearing Voices, help! *DELETED* [Re: DailyPot]
    #1531311 - 05/08/03 03:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: ]
    #1531556 - 05/08/03 04:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I heard once, that there is a certain part of your brain the stops you from halluginating, and when you sleep this part of the brain turns off, allowing you to dream.

I made a longer post about it once, but anyway, I bet its just that part of the brain being turned off. I once woke up, and thought i broke my alarm clock (by pushing the buttons INTO the alarm clock) it looked very real, and I could see the wires and other insides of the clock. When I awoke again, I saw nothing was wrong with my clock.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

Invisiblepsychopsilocyber
Male

#1531812 - 05/08/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Into the void you go, dont get stuck. I dont think they've discovered the cause of schizophrenia yet, but my opinion is it relates to the hypothalimus. When people take mescalin the brain is void of all sugar, which is regulated and monitered my the hypothalimus. I wonder if there has ever been a diabetic schizo? I dont know it's not like I really know what I'm talking about hear.

OfflineJourney
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1531998 - 05/08/03 06:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys, I just had a chance to read all the replies now. I dont have a chance to reply to all of them but I read them all.

Quote:

you've described what I've experienced since I was young as well. its kinda muttering and quiet and you pay little attention, it just sounds like background brain activity, and then the volume just goes sharply up, they sound intense for a second and they say a loud word or two, and the sharply stop when you focus your attention on em.

Yes thats exactly what its like. It wouldn't be scary if it wasnt for the sudden quietness just after they get loud. It seems like they know you can hear them.

Quote:

And if you are unwilling to accept this and are worried about insanity, mabey you should not be messing with psychedelics.

I never said I was unwilling to accept this. If this is whats happening to me, then I accept it and will make the best of it. I have learned that you have to do the best with what your given, and all feeling sorry for yourself will do is waste time. I am not used to hearing these voices, so naturally I'm a little scared. Often on high doses of shrooms, I hear a god-like voice, but its always comforting, and nothing like these mutterings.

Whats odd is right now I'm the healthiest I've ever been. I have been running and working out most everyday for a couple months now. Taking a multivitamin everyday now. Also I am very happy with my life, and have made some little steps to what I consider my own personal enlightenment. Maybe I will take tomorrow off and just sleep the whole day, and see if that helps. It seems a lot of you here similar noises though, which is reassuring.

The good news is its not interfering at all with my life. I will look at this in a more spiritual way and see if I can find some inner message or meaning. Maybe this is just a turning point in my life. Sorry I didnt get to reply to more of your posts, and hopefully I will get back on later tonight. I'll keep you guys updated with how its going, and again thanks for all the replies

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
    #1532020 - 05/08/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The voice in you head, is yours.
I think most of you are making a big deal out of this, when it really isn't a big deal at all.

Please don't go see a doctor (especially a Western/American Doctor). Doctors won't be able to help you, they might even make it even worse. All you will get is an unreasonable bill and a prescription to some worthless pills.

Peace

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Hearing Voices, help! *DELETED* [Re: Great Scott]
    #1532238 - 05/08/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleDarkcloud
‮tiwkcuFtsilihiN
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: poke smot!]
    #1536345 - 05/10/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The voice is your sub-conscious.

Hearing "voices" when you start to feel asleep is quite normal. Your brainwaves shift towards alpha and beyond to produce near dream-like audio, visuals, etc. Don't worry about it...you're ok.

I'm the one with problems. I see demons appearing every once in a while. Of course, I perceive these "demons" as my "inner demons" that my sub-conscious is trying to work out. Black, stealthy, strong, and ugly bastards with orange/red glowing eyes...but that's actually good news.

After my recent insane AMT trip (took a record breaking amount), I can cause the walls to move (in my mind), I see weird colors and entities, hear voices, and can even see my own eyes glowing in the mirror for about a second. I'm still getting this and it's been weeks since the trip.

--------------------
:poison: :poison: :poison:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1536367 - 05/10/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"It seems like they know you can hear them."

of course they know! they're YOU! :smile:

Its like sometimes when I'm dreaming I'll start to wake up in the middle of the thing and my dream gets totally disheveled because "it knows" I'm paying more attention now - sometimes it will just get more detailed and suck me back into a non-lucid state, or sometimes I'll stand there in my dream looking around, wondering what the hell's going on, as the dream characters stand there wondering what they're supposed to do now that I've realized they were fooling me. Its like our brains are playing games with themselves in these states - getting excercise or something heheh the conscious vs. the unconscious.

And Sombie,
"I heard once, that there is a certain part of your brain the stops you from halluginating, and when you sleep this part of the brain turns off, allowing you to dream."

hehe yeah they talk about this in Waking Life too - I'll just quote it:

"See, in the waking world, the neurosystem inhibits the activation of the vividness of memories. Now this makes evolutionary sense. See, you'd be maladapted for the perceptual image of a predator to be mistaken for the memory of one, and vice versa. If the memory of a predator conjured up a perceptual image, we'd be running off to the bathroom everytime we had a scary thought. So you have these seratonic neurons that inhibit hallucinations, that they themselves are inhibited, during REM [rapid eye movement] sleep. See, this allows dreams to appear real, while preventing competition from other perceptual processes. This is why dreams are mistaken for reality. To the functional system of neural-activity that creates our world, there is no difference between dreaming a perception and an action, and actually the waking perception and action."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineVel
mushroom pimphandler
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: Strumpling]
    #1536378 - 05/10/03 02:47 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

hey Journey..

On the bright side...If you are indeed schizo..You can look at it as living 2 lives for the price of one!

Offlinethelox
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: Vel]
    #1536488 - 05/10/03 05:11 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I was reading in my local newspaper that they have developed a device
that significantly decreases the voices. When people have these auditory hallucinations
a certain area of the brain recieves more blood, or something along those lines.
This device is supposed to constantly tap against your brain. I'm not sure
if anyone has posted about this, so please don't flame me if they have

Anonymous

Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: thelox]
    #1537329 - 05/10/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm surprised that this is so common...I've never had this....I mean I can think of times when I wake up and things seem a lil weird or like clothes on the floor resemble something else...but I always assumed it was cause of the lack of focus when you first get up...I wouldn't say I've ever had a hallucination when waking up or falling asleep...unless I'm tripping at the time of course :laugh:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1537530 - 05/10/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Don't you know you are suppose to hear colors and see voices.

Okay. Not so bad. Synthesisia.

Whats weird about seeing clothes and thinking they were two other people.

not weird at all.

tj

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1538365 - 05/11/03 01:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i had no idea this was so common. I didn't mean to freak you out!

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Offlinephlow
    #1539060 - 05/11/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Heh, this shit used to happen to me alot as well. Soft, indistinct whispering that got louder and louder until it snapped me out of falling asleep and made me concentrate on the voices. As soon as I would concentrate on them they would stop.

It never really bothered me until the last time it happened. I was lying in bed, extremely baked, falling asleep when I noticed the voices. This time though I could clearly make out what they were saying. I distinctly heard a female voice cut off mid-sentence and say "what's this? he can hear us." Followed by a male voice answering, "impossible...HEY YOU!!" to which I sat up in bed startled. I was very unnerved by that occurence and had trouble sleeping for a few nights.

That was about three years ago, not a peep from the voices since.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: phlow]
    #1539097 - 05/11/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

heheh that's exactly the kind of stuff I experience, with visuals as well....

As soon as I start "finding" various characters in various layers of darkness while laying in bed, they'll like leap out at me or suddenly look very threatening, as soon as I realize that I'm looking at something I made - its like the unconscious plays games with the conscious all night :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #1539587 - 05/11/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I have never experienced hearing voices; even when on psychedelics.  I've had tinitis since I was a boy; which is faint ringing or pitches you can hear when it's quiet.

If you have a family history of any mental disorder, it's wise to see a psychologist or psychiatrist to cover those bases.  But realize...you're dealing with not only your mind, but your ears as well.  Have you spent a lot of time in the previous years of your life listening to music incredibly loud?  Have you had frequent ear infections?  Just because you're experiencing something that is listed as a symptom of one disorder/experience, doesn't mean it isn't a symptom for something else.

I can relate that at night when I'm just drifting off to sleep, every now and then I think I hear a loud horn or squeal and pop back into full waking consciousness.  That's happened to me before I ever took a drug.  :smile:  So don't assume the worst.

None of us here are doctors.  I have a degree in psychology...and all I would recommend at this time is to seek both your medical doctor and after he does a few tests/physical exams...if he thinks you should see a psychiatrist...then do that.  It's okay to be freaked out by what you're experiencing.  There are a lot of aspects of growing older that can freak us out cause nobody warned us about them.  Just don't over react.  :smile:

Take care and good luck.

Love & Light,

Boppity

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Hearing Voices, help! [Re: Boppity604]
    #1539733 - 05/11/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

lol this may fit more in politics but why the hell don't they let us know how FUCKED UP "growing up" can get? lol I had never expected ANYTHING like what I went though, simply because nobody had ever even attempted to express that "growing up" is totally twisted and confusing..

--------------------

Anonymous

#1572479 - 05/23/03 03:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I never grew up.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder