Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCultyVader
Dark SporeApprentice

Spawning with small amount of mycelium
    #1529076 - 05/07/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Alright ive got a chunk of mycelium (Malabar) that i saved from a heavily contaminated jar. Its mostly alright though there are a few little tiny spots of contamination that arenot getting any bigger if not smaller.

How would i go about:
Destroying the rest of the contams without harming the mycelium
spawning to a 3x6x12 inch tray of horse dung and straw
any tips would be helpful thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: CultyVader]
    #1529158 - 05/07/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

first, fill the jar with H2O2, allow it 10 minutes, remove it, and cauterize the spot with a red hot scalpel or knife blade...in a clean glove box or a flow hood, transfer it to a plastic bag and crush it into small pieces...check for more signs of contamination that may well be there...usualy there is some that goes undetected...if you dont notice any...spawn to poo and become religous....pray that the contamination is dead but mycelium isnt....

Someone screams in my ear that it might be good to try an outdoor bed....

P#1

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1529182 - 05/07/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

First off, my friend says that using contaminated substrate as spawn is a bad idea. But if you are determined to do so, here is what he suggests:

First, take your chunk of substrate and submerge it in 3% h202 for several minutes; then use that substrate to inoculate a few jars of your choice of whole grain. Hopefully at least one jar will colonize contam free. After the contam free grain jar is fully colonized, use the jar as spawn for your bulk.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineCultyVader
Dark SporeApprentice

Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: dog]
    #1529191 - 05/07/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Dog, the only problem with that is my Pressure cooker is dead and there are no signs of a future purchase (financial issues) though i have accumulated plenty of dung/straw that could be pasteurised. Is spawning a pastuerized substrate going to be impossible?

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: dog]
    #1529212 - 05/07/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

maybe try this tek, ive never tried it.. but if it works, it's probably what your looking for, it's worth a shot, it sounds like a decent tek:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7956

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

Edited by GWAR (05/07/03 10:50 PM)

OfflineCultyVader
Dark SporeApprentice

Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: GWAR]
    #1529224 - 05/07/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Will cubes grow on aspen shavings?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1529236 - 05/07/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Is spawning a pastuerized substrate going to be impossible? 

Not impossible, just a little more difficult.  :smirk:

You could try using the h2o2 soaked substrate to spawn a small amount of pasteurized bulk. My friend says a small amount because it will colonize more rapidly, considering the small amount of spawn you are using. After that bulk has colonized fully, break it up and use it as spawn for another, larger batch of bulk.

This is the best way my friend can see to colonize bulk without having to wait forever for colonization and risk further contamination.   

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: GWAR]
    #1529293 - 05/07/03 11:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Even though you cant see the contamination, it probably has already grown into the whole susbstrate. If not, the substrate has injested some of the poison from the contamination. My advise would be not to use it, but under desperate circumstances using agar can sometimes separate the good from the bad, and you can cut a chunk of the good to start another master culture jar. However seeing as your pressure cooker no longer works, that too may be out of the question for you. So as stated above do a dunk with the chunk in H2O2, then cut small pieces of it and put in a few different small peach cobbler size cups of poo/mixture ( pasteurized) and inncubate. Just use enough of the mixture to create a starter for your bigger bulk. That will give less of a chance for the newly formed substrate/mixture to grow with out alot of time for contaminants to spread into areas not covered yet. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1529307 - 05/07/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't mean to sound critical. But, if anything is contaminated to the degree you see it (excepting agar plates). It has sporalated. Meaning, it is releasing millions of microscopic contam spores. Any tinkering, draft or movement will spread those spores like microscopic cannon fire.

Odds are, they will hit (if they have not - already), germinate & grow on anything handy.

IMHO, chuck it & start clean, stay clean, live long,  prosper & harvest your goods.

6T ............... :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineCultyVader
Dark SporeApprentice

Re: Spawning with small amount of mycelium [Re: SixTango]
    #1529357 - 05/07/03 11:20 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Wouldnt soaking the chunk in H202 inhibit the germination of new spores? I understand what youre saying six but let me say now im not going to throw out this chunk.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder